Page 66 of 128 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 3812

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Biden is just constantly disappointing. Talking today about adding 300 million in "community investment" instead of trimming multibillion dollar police budgets for social programs boils my blood

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Biden is just constantly disappointing. Talking today about adding 300 million in "community investment" instead of trimming multibillion dollar police budgets for social programs boils my blood
    He CAN’T trim Municipal police budgets. That’s municipal money, he can’t have anything to do with municipal money.

And even the money he IS talking about is a conditional grant.

Policing works best when officers are out of their cruisers and walking the streets, engaging with and getting to know members of their communities. But in order to do that, police departments need resources to hire a sufficient number of officers. Biden spearheaded the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) program, which authorized funding both for the hiring of additional police officers and for training on how to undertake a community policing approach. However, the program has never been funded to fulfill the original vision for community policing. Biden will reinvigorate the COPS program with a $300 million investment. As a condition of the grant, hiring of police officers must mirror the racial diversity of the community they serve. Additionally, as president, Biden will establish a panel to scrutinize what equipment is used by law enforcement in our communities.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-08-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    He can't trim municipal budget, but he can advocate for it. The right controls way to much of the conversation around taxes.

How he positions himself beyond what he can do still matters.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    He can't trim municipal budget, but he can advocate for it. The right controls way to much of the conversation around taxes.

How he positions himself beyond what he can do still matters.
    Read his Justice Reform Plan. I linked it. That’s exactly what he IS doing. He’s just calling it something different.

The conversation has to be around taxes and shifting those appropriated funds; in budgeting terms, it’s reallocation.

You can’t have real police reform without community investment. Community investment greatly reduces any need for police.

This is a dupe discussion of what’s happening in this thread.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-08-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Read his Justice Reform Plan. I linked it. That’s exactly what he IS doing. He’s just calling it something different.

The conversation has to be around taxes and shifting those appropriated funds; in budgeting terms, it’s reallocation.

You can’t have real police reform without community investment. Community investment greatly reduces any need for police.

This is a dupe discussion of what’s happening in this thread.
    Which is why I used the phrase "social programs"

I get that his platform isn't as totally ineffectual or boring as it sounds... It's the "sounds" part that I'm talking about.

The messaging is simply unclear.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Which is why I used the phrase "social programs"

I get that his platform isn't as totally ineffectual or boring as it sounds... It's the "sounds" part that I'm talking about.

The messaging is simply unclear.
    Yeah, well, you should see how Democrat Twitter is UNUNDATED with messages like this:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    "Defund" is very bad messaging from the start though, just pick some better words. I'm on the side of picking good words for movements.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I've lost count of how many of my otherwise intelligent friends are already making meme-level comments about what's gonna happen when there's no police to call, because they don't understand what "defund the police" was supposed to mean.

It is, without question, the most inappropriate, misleading, and all around worst possible choice of words to describe the actual goal of a movement since "Pro Life".

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I've lost count of how many of my otherwise intelligent friends are already making meme-level comments about what's gonna happen when there's no police to call, because they don't understand what "defund the police" was supposed to mean.

It is, without question, the most inappropriate, misleading, and all around worst possible choice of words to describe the actual goal of a movement since "Pro Life".
    Thing is, a BUNCH of us have tried explaining that "defund Planned Parenthood" is from by the GOP yet Planned Parenthood is still here.

"Defunding public schools" - yet, here they are, still around.

The GOP has "defunded" more stuff than can be counted but nobody gives a shit. But, "defund" the cops and OH MY GOD!!

"Black Lives Matter" has resulted in a bunch of white people countering that ALL LIVES MATTER!!!

I follow Martha Stewart on Instagram and she posted stuff like "there's a link in the bio about black-owned restaurants to check out, what are some of your favorites we should check out?"

And the comments section was INUNDATED with morons, "I GO TO RESTAURANTS FOR THE FOOD, NOT FOR THE COLOR OF SKIN!" "WHAT ABOUT WHITE RESTAURANTS!"

So, yeah.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-08-2020 at 11:12 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    "Defund" is very bad messaging from the start though, just pick some better words. I'm on the side of picking good words for movements.
    I hear that. That said, it does have momentum and we've seen some action on it. A surprising amount.

But definitely its not the right brand for it. It's provocative though, and people are talking about it. I think that's a factor

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I think the wording works just fine. If you're talking to someone who's willing to take the time to look at what's being asked for, it's a clear and simple way to summarize what you're asking for. It also shifts the conversation away from something divisive to something nuanced and explainable, if you're dealing with someone rational.

If you're aiming for something that fox news can't twist to be presented as something else then you're hunting unicorns.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Agreed. I understand the point about "well it got people talking about it, didn't it?"

But talking about it isn't necessarily a good thing. Since posting the same thing last night, I have seen even MORE of my liberal leaning friends posting things that are basically anti-protest / anti-BLM movement because they think "getting rid of cops is going too far". Granted, everyone has the responsibility to actually investigate things, and a big flashing headline like "defund the police" should be setting off alarm bells and sending people to research what the message actually means.

But that's not how most people work, sadly. People have extremely short attention spans and get their news from tweets that are no more than one or two sentences. Headlines and slogans have tremendous power. And I think this one was just really, really poorly chosen.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Yeah, and Trump is already going with "Biden wants to defund the police" (even though he doesn't) . People are going to eat that up no matter how many times Biden says "no I'm not" . By people, I mean Trump's base (of course) but also those who don't do the research and who haven't decided/easily persuaded etc.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Yeah, and Trump is already going with "Biden wants to defund the police" (even though he doesn't) . People are going to eat that up no matter how many times Biden says "no I'm not" . By people, I mean Trump's base (of course) but also those who don't do the research and who haven't decided/easily persuaded etc.
    Trump’s base, who cares. They think an old man put fake blood in the back of his head, and deliberately fell down and cracked his skull. They still think Joe Biden is assaulting children. They think George Soros is paying BLM activists. They think Democrats are in a giant pedo ring. Why are Democrats so fucking afraid of shit like this, but aren’t scared of voter suppression? I see nothing on Twitter or social media, bemoaning the real possibility of voter suppression and cheating. Instead, there’s this fake threat of a mass exodus of “independents” to Trump’s Gestapo.

Voters have the attention span of a rat. They’re already moving on from Black Lives Matter, Covid is a distant memory, and by September they won’t remember any of this. They’re like toddlers.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-09-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Trump’s base, who cares. They think an old man put fake blood in the back of his head, and deliberately fell down and cracked his skull.
    Didn't Trump himself just post some OAN conspiracy theory that the cop who pushed him was some Antifa agent? I don't know what's real anymore.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=71150154

FUCK THIS

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    One of my students is running for a local position while both working on the front line as a nurse and attending school. They landed a fucking AOC endorsement this afternoon. Fuck yeah.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Regarding "Defund" -

Right now it polls at 16 % approval without using the word "defund." Poll was done on May 31st - https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/098uixfv...e_toplines.pdf

Time will tell if it gains momentum. Minneapolis voting to do so could help it gain support along with a clearer understanding of what "defund" actually means. It's too early to tell at this point, but I agree with @Jinsai - I'm in support of better word choices if it doesn't gain traction. Get the idea into the mid-40s on polling, and Joe Biden will support it.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    This will definitely go well.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    voting problems in Atlanta.

haven't we heard this story before?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

I’m SO fucking pissed off. This is such blatant voter suppression. Voting machines that don’t work? They don’t test them, first? Give me a fucking break. This is all BULLSHIT. It’s designed to get people to go home.

Then there’s THIS in Iowa:

After record primary turnout, Iowa senate Republicans try to limit vote-by-mail in presidential election

I am usually pretty open-minded and try to be politically tolerant, but I now HATE Republicans.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

11/3/2020 - President, Senate, House, LOCAL

i waited 1 hour 38 minutes to vote. i knew it was going to be a long haul so i brought snacks and water. BUT what was really cool is that i was offered cold water and food (including pizza!) by multiple people multiple times. the longest waits were early. one neighbor said it took him 3 hours to vote. i tried to keep the 6feet distance but the guy behind me kept standing 3 feet. i had a mask and an umbrella and we were outside. it rained multiple times while we were outside.

my voting precinct was combined with 2 other precincts about two weeks ago. we were not notified by mail but a local official posted on social media something to do with covid they said. apparently the fulton county board of elections was hit hard with multiple people getting it and one death in the department. i had requested a absentee ballot on april 15 but the request was never filled. there was a rumor that they were getting thru the back log and people would get their ballots in time. my husband got his but mine still wasn’t received. they said about a million applications weren’t processed.

i’ve waited longer for concert tickets and surgery so this was fine for me. still, it shouldn’t be this hard. i feel like i waited longer to vote for obama in 2008 but don’t remember exactly. it was a long line tho.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Sure Donnie.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Trump is holding a rally next Friday in Tulsa.

I actually said out loud when I saw that headline: "oh my god" .
    where black Wall Street was, that's where he's holding a rally.

I feel sick.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I feel sick.
    Not only that, it's on Juneteenth.
    Significance: Emancipation of the last remaining enslaved African Americans in the Confederacy
    I mean he's done some shot across the bow shit but this one is full on damn the torpedoes.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

I feel sick.
    To be fair, I grew up in a suburb outside of Tulsa, and I only learned about black Wall Street from Watchmen. Granted, that was 23 years ago...but I doubt the education system got better.
    His base in Oklahoma won't care. Guarantee it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I wouldn’t have known about it if it weren’t for one Black American Fiction class I took as an undergrad. Didn’t come up in five or six other Black/Diaspora Studies classes. That’s how hard America works to bury shit like that. If I recall correctly, contemporaneous Oklahoma newspapers didn’t even run stories on it.

In North Carolina, the white population basically deposed the elected black government through a violent coup. This was 1898. And you still get resistance around there if you ask questions. But you know who’s always up on this shit? Local Black people and the fucking Klan.
    It's coming:

https://kfor.com/hidden-history/okla...race-massacre/

People will know about it, and it will be taught, but it hasn't been for a long time. Until 1996 it was largely not even included in official historical records, when a commission was launched to investigate it and add details about it to the records.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I wouldn’t have known about it if it weren’t for one Black American Fiction class I took as an undergrad. Didn’t come up in five or six other Black/Diaspora Studies classes. That’s how hard America works to bury shit like that. If I recall correctly, contemporaneous Oklahoma newspapers didn’t even run stories on it.

In North Carolina, the white population basically deposed the elected black government through a violent coup. This was 1898. And you still get resistance around there if you ask questions. But you know who’s always up on this shit? Local Black people and the fucking Klan.
    I was raised rather well for Oklahoma's standards: my parents were democratic in a GOP controlled state. I was a strong supporter of LBGTQ community (still am) back then, and in the late 90s it was still taboo to be a feminist in the fly-over states. I still admit that while I've considered myself non-racist (I was raised that way - we're all equal and should be treated as such), maybe I haven't done as much as my privilege allows to help raise people up.

When I read about the Watchmen tv series, I was living far from Tulsa, but I was horrified when I learned about the massacre. I mean, I lived there from age 15-18. I attended my first NIN concert in Tulsa in '94... And I had no clue the atrocity that had taken place. Turns out I had frequented Cain's Ballroom, which was a stone's throw from where it took place. So it doesn't surprise me that this doesn't come up until popular culture educates the masses.
    Last edited by Magnetic; 06-11-2020 at 06:47 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I only learned about it (Black Wall Street) until relatively recently, on TWITTER.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-10-2020 at 11:01 PM.