Page 18 of 128 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    I feel like this got completely glossed over! This is the first I saw or heard about it. Jesus.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I conducted a "scientific" poll of one sample last night with my Midwestern, Catholic, Baby Boomer, Liberal-ish Mom and she is not enthused about Biden at all. She likes Julian Castro a lot, though she acknowledges he has a lot of work to do. She's warm on Warren as well.

This strategy Joe is employing is not working thus far.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Team Bernie just threw a grenade at Elizabeth Warren being... a corporate choice by the Democrats? What? Huh?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    I conducted a "scientific" poll of one sample last night with my Midwestern, Catholic, Baby Boomer, Liberal-ish Mom and she is not enthused about Biden at all. She likes Julian Castro a lot, though she acknowledges he has a lot of work to do. She's warm on Warren as well.

This strategy Joe is employing is not working thus far.
    I don’t love joe either but I literally will vote fo for whoever isn’t trump.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I don’t love joe either but I literally will vote fo for whoever isn’t trump.
    My mom and I are a hard SAME on this. She's mostly concerned about a 2016 repeat with enthusiasm for the eventual nominee. She worked on Claire McCaskill's reelection bid in 2018 as a canvasser so she's a little battle-scarred.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    My mom and I are a hard SAME on this. She's mostly concerned about a 2016 repeat with enthusiasm for the eventual nominee. She worked on Claire McCaskill's reelection bid in 2018 as a canvasser so she's a little battle-scarred.
    I’m also worried about that. He could easily be re-elected. Maybe Jon Stewart can come back to tv for a bit and convince everyone to vote against him.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    the Bernie tweet was just...not cool. he seems to be losing the plot. he knows he's now neck and neck with Warren.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    On the other hand, my Mom worked for Obama.

I remember the boring Kerry and Gore elections.

I’m pretty fucking fired up about Warren, and we’ve barely started.

Last edited by allegro; 06-19-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    the Bernie tweet was just...not cool. he seems to be losing the plot. he knows he's now neck and neck with Warren.
    Bernie doesn’t write that, he doesn’t know how to use social media (has admitted same); his campaign people write everything.

But, yes, fighting dirty with bullshit because he’s sliding.

Meanwhile ...

Last edited by allegro; 06-19-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    to me, Warren has been wiping the floor with Biden and Bernie lately. I can only imagine how poor Biden's response would have been in that video ^ . daily, I am finding myself more interested in her. I do fear that Trump and Trump's supporters will use the Native American thing against her if she's the nominee. I feel she'd be much better at debating him than Hillary was, and honestly I think Biden will be very similar to Hillary when debating him.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    at this point, it almost doesn't matter where it's coming from; Bernie Sanders' "movement" has been weaponized in a really divisive way that he's not addressing.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    what are everyone's thoughts on the debate lineups across the two nights?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    what are everyone's thoughts on the debate lineups across the two nights?
    Second night seems lopsided with more of the "heavy hitters" than the first night, but it should be interesting.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    resurfaced "mad old man shaking his fist at scary techno parties" footage has emerged, and if this isn't the straw that breaks the camel's back, what the hell is. GTFO of here grandpa.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    god what a crotchety piece of shit. This isn't even that long ago based on the looks of him. What great hill to die on dummy.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Biden gets worse by the day.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Biden pretty much rode Obama's popularity coattails. Make no mistake, he is your typical smarmy, career politician. He just happens to have a slightly better personality than most, until you consider the amount of "creepy Joe" accusations there are floating around.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    we get it, Biden totally sucks, but he's still not anywhere near Trump-level sucking.

Just please, Dems, give us something to be a little enthusiastic about. I'll hold my nose and vote Biden.. but please. I know, the Democrats couldn't conceivably invent someone I despise more than Trump, but try a little ok?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    His reaction to Cory Booker asking for an apology in conjunction with putting his hand in that woman's place... He's really trying to appeal to Trump voters, tho.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Just please, Dems, give us something to be a little enthusiastic about.
    Okay

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    resurfaced "mad old man shaking his fist at scary techno parties" footage has emerged, and if this isn't the straw that breaks the camel's back, what the hell is. GTFO of here grandpa.

I'd like to know the context here, because as someone who works in the industry, I've seen promoters pull of sketchy shit that can lead to serious injuries and, in some cases, casualties. I'm highly skeptical that this was "electronic music is bad" - I would imagine this was directed at a pattern of shitty money-hungry amateur wannabe promoters who were cutting corners and creating risks just to try to make a few bucks.

Don't get me wrong, he's far from my frontrunner - but I hate it when people post stuff with no context just to try to smear someone. I'll readily admit that my speculation about the clip is wrong if someone can point to why he was speaking on the topic.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    It is from a hearing in 2001 focused on MDMA from what I can gather. More war on drugs fuckery.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I am still not 100% on board with any of the candidates, but Warren seems to be my most likely primary pick at the moment. I'd still pick any of them over Trump, including Biden, but many of them (especially Biden) risk causing Trump to win by splitting the opposition. It's going to be very hard to avoid repeating the same mistakes of 2016 if the most polarizing candidate (this time Biden, last time Hillary) is yet again the front-runner. We should know damn well that Trump fights dirty, and WILL weaponize whatever negative attributes are present in the opponent, while brushing off any/all dirt on him, so pushing the Dem with the MOST dirt is likely going to be an easy win for Trump. Basically, it seems to me that the Dems are not rethinking their strategy hard enough, and this may result in us having another four years of the absolute madman we have right now.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ^ I agree

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I know I keep talking about Warren, but I highly suggest you all read her Plan for Economic Patriotism.

I’ve been through McGovern losing, Carter losing, Mondale losing, Dukakis losing, Gore losing, Kerry losing, Hillary losing ... but there was some winning in there, too. I was also around when JFK was murdered while he was in office and RFK was murdered just after winning the California primary (June 5, 1968).

I also saw a black man in the White House for 8 years, and I NEVER thought I’d see that in my lifetime.

But IMHO, GW Bush is still THE WORST FUCKING NIGHTMARE PRESIDENT IN MY HISTORY. WORSE THAN NIXON!!

Two wars for nearly 20 years, HUNDREDS of thousands DEAD. HURRICANE KATRINA. Tax cuts, the financial meltdown, omg.

This current dumb narcissistic nightmare is NOTHING compared to the damage that Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft and Rumsfeld caused. Torture, death, destruction. Destabilization of the entire Middle East.

Anyway, yeah, I’m hopeful about this election.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-20-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I just can’t blieve we’re already talking about a worse contender than Bush for that title... and really it’s all about time here. If he’s re-elected... sorry, I still can’t process the second half of that sentence

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Is there a reason the republicans can't select John McCain as their candidate again?

I mean, I know he's dead, but he's still a better candidate than Trump.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    Is there a reason the republicans can't select John McCain as their candidate again?

I mean, I know he's dead, but he's still a better candidate than Trump.
    A holographic John McCain would be far preferable to 4 more years of Trump. Probably more effective, even.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Warren seemed to do good, and Biden was awful. reading his notes and incoherent.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Every Dem candidate roasted by Haiku.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/26/o...ate-haiku.html

Are we doing debate chatter in this thread?