Page 21 of 128 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I haven't really dug too deep into their algorithms, but I love that this site exists.

https://www.isidewith.com/

I almost feel like this should actually be how voting works. You don't just go into the booth and tick "D" or "R". But I understand the reasons why voting like that wouldn't actually work, so the best I can hope is that people will at least utilize sites like this.
    I've used that site many times. I'm a Libertarian and in 2016 my views aligned with Gary Johnson (whom I voted for President). Took this test again for 2020. It says my views align with John Delaney first, Andrew Yang second and Tulsi Gabbard third. Tulsi is the only one I could see myself voting for.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Some of the positions are outdated as Warren just said she'd be open to eliminating private insurance in exchange for Medicare-For-All during last week's debates.

CNN Poll: Harris and Warren rise and Biden slides after first Democratic debates

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Gonna throw this here too - Crooked Media has partnered with Change Research to do polls leading up to the election and they posted their first one last week. 935 sampled voters (defined as registered voters who are participating in the Dem primary from Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina - the first three primary states).

This is one to follow as Change Research launched after the 2016 election and are doing their polling differently. They polled Steve King's reelection race in 2018 against J.D. Scholten because they saw that none of the other pollsters were doing so and that Scholten's campaign had no idea if he was close or not (he ended up losing by 3 points in a race that was closer than folks thought it would be and King's slimmest margin of victory so had there been earlier polling, Scholten could've tried to get additional funding for the race).

https://crooked.com/articles/pollerc...-electability/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Don Jr deleted his tweet because it was a REALLY bad look for that fucker, even if he thought he could get away with it because of his dad's birtherism bullshit and "Pocahontas" stuff. I don't know if he figured out that it looked really bad on his own... I assume he needed help.
    Smart money says he has post-its in his bathroom reminding him to wipe.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    According to that survey I took, Harris, Warren, and Julian Castro all tie at 97%, Sanders is one point behind. Also, apparently I have the most in common with Simba when it comes to “my favorite Disney princesses!” Who knew...

like I’m saying, and have been saying, just give me ANYONE but Trump... I want the candidate who has the best chance of winning. This poll doesn’t understand my primary concern (pun unintended)
    Last edited by Jinsai; 07-02-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    my primary concern
    get out.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    New Pollercoaster from Crooked & Change Research - https://crooked.com/articles/pollerc...-up-whos-down/

1261 Democratic voters who said they're participating in the primaries of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina shared their thoughts after the first round of Dem debates.

Sanders & Warren at 19%, Biden at 18%, Harris at 17%, Buttigieg at 15% and the rest under 3%.

Click through to read the rest of the results. Of note is that Dem voters in these states want a climate debate and that they favor progressive issues around healthcare, the Iran deal and decriminalizing border crossings.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Harris goes on The View and says "Right now we have Medicare for All, and it's called an emergency room."

Oof.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Andrew Yang on MSNBC yesterday: "Your favorite band? " Yang: "The Cure " hah, cool!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Harris goes on The View and says "Right now we have Medicare for All, and it's called an emergency room."

Oof.

Wtf does that mean?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Andrew Yang on MSNBC yesterday: "Your favorite band? " Yang: "The Cure " hah, cool!
    a friend of mine went to high school with that Richard Spencer guy, who turned out to be a huge Trump supporting nazi.

Apparently, he was an outcast who kept to himself, didn't talk much, and loved The Cure. Just saying...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post

Oof.

Are we grading on style points? It's obvious a consultant gave her that line but it don't think it's that bad compared to some of the others she's used at rallies. The message gets across but I'd prefer she says it a different way.

I'd like to see more details on her "how" we get to Medicare for All.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    a friend of mine went to high school with that Richard Spencer guy, who turned out to be a huge Trump supporting nazi.

Apparently, he was an outcast who kept to himself, didn't talk much, and loved The Cure. Just saying...
    what about paul ryan loving rage against the machine? i mean, it was like WHOOSH! over his head. Music taste doesn't make one a good (or bad) person.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    what about paul ryan loving rage against the machine? i mean, it was like WHOOSH! over his head. Music taste doesn't make one a good (or bad) person.
    exactly. just thought it was cool that a presidential candidate name dropped the Cure as his favorite band. it's irrelevant to whether I'd vote for the individual or not of course.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    i think the donald is outright drooling at the thought of running against biden. it's hilary mark 2. biden is beholden to the big banks & wall street, so the MI complex wins either way in this race. frightening.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Wtf does that mean?
    Seriously?

It means that when you don’t pay your emergency room bill because you don’t have any money and you’re uninsured, most of the time Medicaid ends up picking up the tab.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Seriously?

It means that when you don’t pay your emergency room bill because you don’t have any money and you’re uninsured, most of the time Medicaid ends up picking up the tab.
    The hospital still sends you a bill, regardless, and if you don't have money, your credit gets fucked, and there's nothing you can do about it. Not contradicting you, just an addendum.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    The hospital still sends you a bill, regardless, and if you don't have money, your credit gets fucked, and there's nothing you can do about it. Not contradicting you, just an addendum.
    True. But in states with Medicaid expansion, not always true.

See also:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-bills-2018-12

(You can declare bankruptcy, happens all the time and your credit bounces back faster than people realize.)

Harris’ comment was intended to be snarky and alarming.

My Mom is on Medicare and has supplemental Plan F, which is the most expensive and most comprehensive of all supplemental coverage (no longer available after 2020). But that still means she has zero dental care, zero optical care, she pays a $410 annual deductible for her Part D Rx Plan, which is the VALUE plan, which means she can only use two local pharmacies, and her monthly Medicare premiums are $280 and her monthly supplemental premiums are over $300. Her prescriptions are routinely rejected or are deemed too expensive.

What people don’t tell you about getting old is that those fillings start failing, etc. and dental work starts becoming THE thing you need and it’s one big thing Medicare won’t cover. Implants are considered “cosmetic” by the insurance industry. My Mom had an old bridge that failed, destroyed the underlying teeth; several opinions later, she’s had five different implants, a bridge abutment, in the last six years she’s had about $20,000 in dental work done. A big chunk on low-interest Care Credit, the rest on credit cards, because if / when she dies, we’ll stiff the creditors, fuck ‘em. She’s paying minimum payments, and now the interest rates have climbed to over 21%. We’ve considered her filing bankruptcy, at 81. Due to dental bills.

Her monthly payments are so high, it’s hard to afford $400 for new progressive lens glasses, which also isn’t covered by Medicare or supplemental.

Medical care is far too expensive in this country. Insurance or payment coverage won’t come down until the costs come down.

If Medicare for All is the solution, that must include all dental and all optical, and it must demand the reduction of costs.

But it must be careful that hospitals and medical providers aren’t suddenly REJECTING Medicare.

And all these PRESIDENTIAL candidates promoting and promising healthcare plans when only CONGRESS can deliver LEGISLATION and the Senate is controlled by Cocaine-Mitch McConnell is another load of crap.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-13-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    And all these PRESIDENTIAL candidates promoting and promising healthcare plans when only CONGRESS can deliver LEGISLATION and the Senate is controlled by Cocaine-Mitch McConnell is another load of crap.
    McConnell knows full well that rules only apply if you don't know how to get around them, and he's been instructing his new recruit on how that game is played; knowing full well it's the only part of the game that Trump needs to understand.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I was being sincere with that question.

I seen Harris criticized a few times for delivering crafted or fed lines, but that just seems like part of the job. Come up with a platform and usually you have someone help you articulate it to a broader audience. In this case it wasn't a clear enough soundbite to me. Seems pretty standard.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    McConnell knows full well that rules only apply if you don't know how to get around them, and he's been instructing his new recruit on how that game is played; knowing full well it's the only part of the game that Trump needs to understand.
    The point was that a Democratic President with a big plan for universal healthcare won’t mean anything if the Republicans still control the Senate in 2020.

The Democrats will need to also maintain their huge lead in the House and will need a big majority in the Senate, AND win the Presidency. Because universal healthcare or single-payer healthcare isn’t going to be enacted via an Executive Order; it’s going to be enacted via Congress.

"If I'm still the majority leader in the Senate [in 2020], think of me as the Grim Reaper. None of that stuff is going to pass. I guarantee you that if I'm the last man standing and I'm still the majority leader, it ain't happening. I can promise you." - Mitch McConnell

(source)
    Last edited by allegro; 07-15-2019 at 12:56 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I think a Democrat Senate will be necessary more than ever. If a Democrat wins in 2020, I fear the Republican senate will do things out of spite then more than ever.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/be...-on-2019-07-19

So....looks like a lot of Sanders' staff are making less than the $15/hr he claims every deserves. I guess the whole "lead by example" thing doesn't mean much.

Wonder how the other candidates treat their people. I'm not at all suggesting for a second that Sanders is the only one who isn't compensating his people well. This is just the first time I've seen the numbers on someone.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

and he declared Depeche Mode to be the official band of the alt right or some shit ��

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    and he declared Depeche Mode to be the official band of the alt right or some shit ��

yep, and then after Gahan called him a cunt, he laughed and said he’s a life long fan, and that DM has already written all the anthems the alt right will ever need...

ok Annie Wilkes, you sad troll, your fifteen minutes of shame are up

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/co...s_hacked_into/

This thread is a great - and terrifying - catch-all regarding 2016 election interference. This should be required reading for every voter - and especially for politicians.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    on that note @theimage13 here's another good recapping source for referencing dates and events and generally running through bullet points of insanity
    https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    So some numbers coming in on Harris plan it's one of the few cases where we can make specific, dry comparisons on healthcare plans:

Harris: 4% starting at 100,000k a year
    Sanders 4% starting at 29,000k a year

I think this is quite surpising considering the narrative as Sanders as the more progressive candidate. While it's true that Harris plan has a "role for private insurers" that plan has a real world view of who can actually afford that tax. The Sanders taxbis actually pretty regressivee, even if it was still less than the current stack of healthcare. The 100ish dollars a month at least would be too much for a lot of people between of say 29-70k.

Of course the Sanders campt has their usual gatekeeping and spin on this but it's a surprisingly disappointing number from sanders

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Warren and Sanders did well as expected. Buttigieg did okay too. Warren actually murdered some fake Democrat on stage. Who was that guy?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    fun to see her literally rub her hands together decapitating the guy from AIRPLANE!