Page 27 of 128 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Gillibrand dropped out.

Hickenlooper, Inslee and Moulton already dropped out.

Only 10 Democrats qualify for the September debate (one night):

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...e-debate-night

former Vice President Joe Biden
    Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont
    Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts
    Sen. Kamala Harris of California
    Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey
    former Rep. Beto O'Rourke of Texas
    Sen. Amy Klobuchar
    former HUD Secretary Julian Castro
    tech entrepreneur Andrew Yang
    South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg
    Last edited by allegro; 08-28-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    ... Marianne and Delaney are still in it. Come on, guys.

Also, guys, I've been away for a bit but please let us try to do a better job of posting the Trump shit like the G7 in the Trump thread. Thanks!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    ... Marianne and Delaney are still in it. Come on, guys.
    Source?

All major sources still saying that only these 10 qualified with required polls, so far. (It’s not just about money, anymore. Even bazillionaire Steyer didn’t qualify.)

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii is two polls away from qualifying and has already hit the donor requirement. Author Marianne Williamson has also hit the donor threshold but needs to reach the polling threshold in three more surveys to qualify.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Source?

All major sources still saying that only these 10 qualified with required polls, so far. (It’s not just about money, anymore. Even bazillionaire Steyer didn’t qualify.)
    Sorry - meant the race, not the September debate.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    JFC

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Steps to winning the election in 2020.

1) Nominate whoever the fuck you want.
    2) Put in Obama as VP.
    3) Start spreading unsourced and unfounded memes on FB about how they're only doing it so that the nominee will resign and give us four more years of Obama.
    4) Watch normally apathetic Democratic non-voters turn out in droves to "re-elect Obama".

I hate that I feel like this is actually a winning strategy.
    Article II of Constitution includes this:

In case of the removal of the President from office, or of his death, resignation, or inability to discharge the powers and duties of the said office, the same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by law provide for the case of removal, death, resignation or inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what officer shall then act as President, and such officer shall act accordingly, until the disability be removed, or a President shall be elected.
    22nd Amendment, Section 1:
    No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President, when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.
    What this means:
    Since the role of the VP requires filling a vacancy of the President when necessary, and since no President can serve more than two terms, Barack Obama is barred from serving as VP, per the 22nd Amendment.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-28-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    TWO Georgia Senate seats open.

Last edited by allegro; 08-29-2019 at 12:48 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    TWO Georgia Senate seats open.

Turn Georgia blue!!! One can dream, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Article II of Constitution includes this:

22nd Amendment, Section 1:

What this means:
    Since the role of the VP requires filling a vacancy of the President when necessary, and since no President can serve more than two terms, Barack Obama is barred from serving as VP, per the 22nd Amendment.
    Pft. If we just put one of the 2s in reaaaaaaally tiny letters, we can tell the Senate that the 22nd is the only thing that would stop us from running him as VP and they won't even make an attempt to touch it. I'm tellin ya, this plan is foolproof!

This is obviously sarcasm, of course. I think.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Here's something that might change it, I've just been reading some of the reports about Trump having dementia, and it progressing quickly. He repeated that he'd never heard of a category 5 hurricane, but this is the 4th one during his presidency. He's sharpied news reports to try and fool people. His tweets are gone beyond nonsensical now. He's had reduced public appearances lately, some people believe they've seen him wearing weighted vests under his clothes that are designed to help dementia patients with their balance, and his ugly black hat did appear to be covering a large bruise that could have been from a fall.

His most recently public appearance had him seated, because his balance issues are becoming obvious. Compare his speech patterns now to those during the campaign, he's clearly not the same person he was. He recently called himself the chosen one. A lot of these signs of dementia could also be explained by his narcissism, and so maybe they've been missed for a long time, but there are a lot of people who are saying that those around him are having difficulty just keeping him upright and making coherent sentences for 5 minutes at a time. If his condition is really that bad, he wouldn't physically be able to run in 2020.

He's got a campaign rally scheduled for Monday the 9th. It'll be enlightening to see what happens there, but he may not be the republican nominee in 2020, because he may not be able to form complete sentences by then.

If Trump is not who the democrats are trying to beat in 2020, things change significantly. Give me Warren in a heartbeat.

Smash that motherfucking glass ceiling so fucking hard.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Sad news, everyone...

A moment of silence for Howard Schultz’s campaign.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/06/u...-out-2020.html

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    GOP plans to drop presidential primaries in four states to impede Trump challengers

I never believed that anyone actually had a shot at unseating him, but this makes me furious.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Fuck the GOP. Trump will bury your fucking party with him, and it’ll stay about as popular as the baby name “Adolf” is in Germany among people under the age of 70. The last chance their “brand” has of surviving is to let someone reasonable unseat Trump. How can they think this will play out well historically?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Fuck the GOP. Trump will bury your fucking party with him, and it’ll stay about as popular as the baby name “Adolf” is in Germany among people under the age of 70. The last chance their “brand” has of surviving is to let someone reasonable unseat Trump. How can they think this will play out well historically?
    Oh yeah, history is not going to be kind to Trump. But the GOP doesn't give two fucks about that right now.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    Oh yeah, history is not going to be kind to Trump. But the GOP doesn't give two fucks about that right now.
    Yeah, see...the dudes in charge will be dead before it's "history," so as long as they're rich and powerful they've got everything they want.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Yeah, see...the dudes in charge will be dead before it's "history," so as long as they're rich and powerful they've got everything they want.
    Bingo.

Those who are left in charge. Everyone GOP-side with a conscience are long gone.
    Last edited by DF118; 09-06-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    there are some questions about Biden's health recently. besides his eye being filled with blood the other night, he has a pretty rough cough a few times in this video.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    there are some questions about Biden's health recently. besides his eye being filled with blood the other night, he has a pretty rough cough a few times in this video.
    I'm sure they do it, but if not there needs to be a mandatory physical for anyone running for higher office. We already have one neurological deficient president. We don't need another one.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    I'm sure they do it, but if not there needs to be a mandatory physical for anyone running for higher office. We already have one neurological deficient president. We don't need another one.
    We've had more than a few presidents with severe mental degradation and instability. What's happening right now though, it's just insane. I can't look at the news without my alarm bells ringing, and I trust that instinct.

I think this list needs to get trimmed... does anyone still think Cory Booker still has a chance? He's lost everyone on the progressive side with his big pharma pandering, and he doesn't stand a chance against the old guard. Then again, I was originally thinking Buttigieg had no chance so really why's he there, but I think he's made a better use of his platform to expound his ideas/platform than anyone else. It makes me second guess myself when I think things like "if only he had a realistic chance..." but that thought comes back to tamper with everything... And I hate to admit it, but it comes down to Trump and who has the best chance to beat him.

At this point, it comes down to five people who are potentially going to be the one to (PLEAZE!!!!) beat him. I don't think Biden's the safest bet, so if that's all he has going for him fuck him.

EDIT: And just for reference... Trump gets away with saying crazzzzzzzzzy shit in private that he hopes is confidential... and then these people, alarmed, tell journalists what this guy is saying, and then it's "FAKE NEWS!!!!! FUCKING LEAKERS!!!!!! GIVE ME THEIR NAMES!!!!" But he won't release his taxes...

And now citizens don't know what's even fucking real anymore, and THAT is a problem. It should be freaking you out, mass populations are being coerced into conspiracy-theory-thinking channels, and if it isn't freaking you out, you need to ask yourself why you're not freaking the fuck out, and if you're still not, maybe you need a cross examination and some screaming at.

Shit is getting insane!
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-11-2019 at 12:12 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'll be honest, i've been freaking out about everything for years now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it's easy to say Trump is the worst president ever and will be the worst president we've ever had when historians look back at his presidency. James Buchannan's ghost must be dancing as he's no longer in the cellar.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    I think it's easy to say Trump is the worst president ever and will be the worst president we've ever had when historians look back at his presidency. James Buchannan's ghost must be dancing as he's no longer in the cellar.
    I'd say Trump is a close second behind Andrew Jackson.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    I'd say Trump is a close second behind Andrew Jackson.
    I think if Trump had a time machine and could have stepped in Jackson's shoes, oh god, it would have been so much worse. There's a reason Trump hung the portrait of Andrew Jackson in the oval office... Andrew Jackson is his inspirational figure, his "Lincoln." And, to make that worse, he probably wouldn't have been able to tell you whose face was on the 20 dollar bill ten years ago.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-12-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Trying to catch up on how the debate went. I didn’t watch. I’ve been super sick and the antibiotics have been siphoning the energy out of me. I was dead asleep by like 7.

What did you guys think?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I’m going to watch the debate in a minute, but I’m not even sure why. I’ll vote for whomever wins. If I get around to changing my designated party from independent I’ll vote for Warren... I just feel shell shocked by this presidency, and all I want is to not get another four years of this; I honestly dont think I can take it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Trying to catch up on how the debate went. I didn’t watch. I’ve been super sick and the antibiotics have been siphoning the energy out of me. I was dead asleep by like 7.

What did you guys think?
    Biden did terrible. Had terrible answers on several things, continues to sound unfocused & sputtering, and lied about two things I think. I think he'll dip a few more points after this. He had some sputtering lines about black kids listening to record players before they go to sleep that went viral. Google it.

Beto & Buttegieg were invisible.

Harris did ok at times but not enough to change things & still comes off so incredibly fake to me. That bullshit laugh she does sometimes is so cringey.

Yang & Booker were fine too but it won't change much.

Klobuchar is so out of touch & useless. Just drop out already. You're polling at 1% & your "solutions" inspire nobody.

Bernie didn't explain things well enough during the M4A part imo, but did much better the rest of the night. All anyone will focus on will be his sore throat anyway b/c our country is made up if easily distracted house pets.

Warren did great, but when she goes into the flowery personal anecdotes and other BS instead of just answering the goddamn question, I roll my eyes so hard.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yang is so fucking stupid. I loved that jab at him "that's what a debate is!" That dude is out mansplainer incarnate of the moment. The Ron Paul/Bernie Sanders/Ralph Nader type

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'll agree to disagree with your thoughts on Yang. I was not a fan of his opening statement, but other than that, I thought he gave some good to really good answers.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I still think the US would be better served to thin the herd of the dems already. We need a solid year of getting the whole nation against Trump. It's time to stop with the infighting. #anyonebuttrump

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I think his $1000 for everyone thing is a striking soundbyte and hook that takes a kind of reductive understanding of core issues and truths, filtered into a hamfisted solution that won't actually solve any of the things it sets out to achieve and could actually make them much worse.

His climate change policy is similar