Page 64 of 128 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 114 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 3812

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    That's likely because Presidents are living way longer than 10 years from their Presidency?

Jimmy Carter was President until 1981.

Obviously, he's still alive. And although he wasn't the greatest President, I think he still needs Secret Service protection.

If Obama hadn't signed that, Jimmy Carter's Secret Service protection would have ended immediately. As would the Secret Service protection of George H.W. Bush.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I was going to correct you but then I read this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...Secret_Service

Ye of little faith. (I actually did double check before posting because I was pretty sure that Obama had overturned that 10 year part, but I try not to put my foot in my mouth more than I really need to.)

Also, I had completely forgotten about that milk & cookies bit, and now I'm both smiling and the image and unfathomably depressed about how far we've fallen.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    That's likely because Presidents are living way longer than 10 years from their Presidency?

Jimmy Carter was President until 1981.

Obviously, he's still alive. And although he wasn't the greatest President, I think he still needs Secret Service protection.

If Obama hadn't signed that, Jimmy Carter's Secret Service protection would have ended immediately. As would the Secret Service protection of George H.W. Bush.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    As much as I wish Trump a swift death, I think lifetime protection is something that former presidents should expect I think.

The amount of enemies and threats to your health that come with the job, I think it's only fair.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    As much as I wish Trump a swift death, I think lifetime protection is something that former presidents should expect I think.

The amount of enemies and threats to your health that come with the job, I think it's only fair.
    I'd be happy to pay my share of taxes to keep him in prison once he leaves. Just not to go golfing at his own goddamn properties which will further line his pockets. I don't want one penny of mine in the pockets of his shit-filled shorts.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    "Fake news!"

"You don't know what you're talking about"

"I already get social security so they can't take mine away!"

"Like Creepy Uncle Joe wouldn't do that and worse?"

Get these intelligent and thoughtful responses and more from your elderly loved ones today when you say something bad about Donald Trump (from those who voted for him, obviously. Not suggesting for a second that old = trump supporter). It's worth mentioning, but...just don't get your hopes up. The other day my mom told me that her sister was complaining about her job, but how she's just happy to have something that allows her to get affordable healthcare for herself and her retired husband (who has had major heart surgery in the past).

She's a die-hard Trump supporter.

Something about leopards and face-eating....

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Biden leaning towards Klobuchar for VP according to developing news stories: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ning-mate-role
    a tater tot casserole on every table....

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    "Fake news!"

"You don't know what you're talking about"

"I already get social security so they can't take mine away!"

"Like Creepy Uncle Joe wouldn't do that and worse?"

Get these intelligent and thoughtful responses and more from your elderly loved ones today when you say something bad about Donald Trump (from those who voted for him, obviously. Not suggesting for a second that old = trump supporter). It's worth mentioning, but...just don't get your hopes up. The other day my mom told me that her sister was complaining about her job, but how she's just happy to have something that allows her to get affordable healthcare for herself and her retired husband (who has had major heart surgery in the past).

She's a die-hard Trump supporter.

Something about leopards and face-eating....
    The elderly people in my Mom’s condo building are actually freaking out. There’s been a whisper thing going down through masks and by phone and my Mom and I are just laughing. When stuff doesn’t affect them, they don’t care. But they ain’t writing THIS off as fake news, they see it on the news. Even Fox is telling him not to try this shit.

Seniors’ Medicare has been going up (it’s deducted from their Social Security), so any time there’s a COLA raise in Social Security (which is based on the price of GAS and shit, but most elderly don’t drive), most of that SS increase is eaten by the Medicare increase. Many seniors have supplemental insurance that doesn’t cover everything and they have high monthly premiums and deductibles. So lowering their monthly Social Security or increasing their Medicare premium is freaking them out.

Of course, he can’t do this shit; only Congress can do this, and the Democratic House won’t let it happen. But that isn’t stopping the anxiety levels among the seniors.

AND, the idiot is threatening funding to the USPS. Which employs a TON of black voters, and delivers prescription drugs to seniors and veterans. The primary reason the USPS is in the red all the time is because Republicans passed a law that requires the USPS to pre-fund 75% of its pension. Which is insane.

Oh, and a LOT of seniors vote by mail.

It’s almost like Trump doesn’t WANT to win.

Or he’s just too stupid.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-26-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

yikes.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ^ she lost whatever chance she had at being VP (which I don't think was a big chance anyway)

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Her being the VP pick is the absolute worst one out of all of the names being mentioned. Which means it will probably be her.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Yeah she would have been an awful pick in general but now - with her part in this nauseating tragedy spotlighted - Klobuchar would be straight up disastrous. But Biden is shaping up to be a disastrous candidate and so I'm still kind of convinced it's going to be her. As @Sarah K said, her being the worst option is the major reason I feel that Biden's going to pick her.

As I've thought for a while, I think it's going to be either her or Harris. If that's the case, please just pick Harris.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I don’t think Biden is choosing Klobuchar; he has black women campaign advisers on his team.

Biden’s team says they won’t be announcing a VP until August 1st.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-running-mate/

https://www.msnbc.com/am-joy/watch/b...on-83861061864

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...-s-vp-n1214651
    Last edited by allegro; 05-28-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Trump is hiding out in the WH bunker and told U.S. Governors that they're "weak" by phone.

Last edited by allegro; 06-01-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    dammit. I can't find the tweet now but I think it was the campaign coordinator asking why the networks aren't covering Biden being out and about today but talking about Trump constantly.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    AND, the idiot is threatening funding to the USPS. Which employs a TON of black voters, and delivers prescription drugs to seniors and veterans. The primary reason the USPS is in the red all the time is because Republicans passed a law that requires the USPS to pre-fund 75% of its pension. Which is insane.
    It's not 75%, it's 75 years. They're literally having to pay pension expenses for employees who haven't been born yet.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Biden Slowly Emerges From Seclusion, Hoping to Meet the Moment

previous headline: Can Biden Emerge From His Basement. stupid fucks.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Trump is hiding out in the WH bunker and told U.S. Governors that they're "weak" by phone.

Trump calls governors facing unrest 'weak' and 'fools,' urges stronger police tactics

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
    It's not 75%, it's 75 years. They're literally having to pay pension expenses for employees who haven't been born yet.
    Sorry, that’s what I meant, you are absolutely correct. And it’s totally nuts.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    There's not going to be an election in November. Or if there is, it'll be one where MAGA asshats are patrolling and threatening violence on anyone who votes against Trump.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Went out and voted today. I purposely went when I did to avoid a big crowd. It went smoothly.

Voted with my heart and soul for Bernie Sanders today so that maybe it’ll suck a little less when I vote for Biden in November.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Went out and voted today. I purposely went when I did to avoid a big crowd. It went smoothly.

Voted with my heart and soul for Bernie Sanders today so that maybe it’ll suck a little less when I vote for Biden in November.
    Same.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

oh darn, he lost.
    Last edited by allegate; 06-02-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It’s GREAT that Steve King lost the primary, but what’s interesting is look at these voter numbers!!

Republican
    Randy Feenstra
    35,748 45.6%
    Steve King
    28,279 36.0
    Jeremy Taylor
    6,092 7.8

Democrat (Senate race against Joni Ernst)
    Theresa Greenfield
    127,949 47.7%
    Michael Franken
    66,905 25.0
    Kimberly Graham
    40,285 15.0
    Last edited by allegro; 06-02-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Today’s Democratic Presidential primary results, so far:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elect...imary-results/

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I see a lot of people saying "but what if he's worse than Steve King?!?" (you know, because he really is) and I just look at those numbers and say "so what if he is?" He's going to get mur...uh, kil...uh, he's going to lose bigly in November.

word choice is so important right now.
    Last edited by allegate; 06-02-2020 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I see a lot of people saying "but what if he's worse than Steve King?!?" (you know, because he really is) and I just look at those numbers and say "so what if he is?" He's going to get mur...uh, kil...uh, he's going to lose bigly in November.

word choice is so important right now.
    I mean, they’re kinda apples and oranges because one’s the House and one’s the Senate, but voter numbers are voter numbers. The Democrats showed up, holy shit.