Page 40 of 128 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 3812

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I believe that ANY of these Democratic candidates can beat Trump. ANY.

I believe the electrified animated corpse of Lincoln can beat Trump, so long as Democrats get up and vote.
    This is the part that scares me. It sure *feels* like people are more charged up and ready to vote. But...well, "we" won by 3,000,000 last time and still didn't get a candidate in office. Three MILLION more votes, and it was still a pretty spectacular loss from an electoral perspective, which is sadly the only one that really matters - for now, at least. So color me extremely nervous. I agree that any of these candidates CAN win. But I thought that in 2016 too, and look where we are now.

On a similar note, this is a small but encouraging step. It still means nothing because there aren't enough states on board.......yet. But if more join in, this could become a huge and much needed change.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    This is the part that scares me. It sure *feels* like people are more charged up and ready to vote. But...well, "we" won by 3,000,000 last time and still didn't get a candidate in office. Three MILLION more votes, and it was still a pretty spectacular loss from an electoral perspective, which is sadly the only one that really matters - for now, at least. So color me extremely nervous. I agree that any of these candidates CAN win. But I thought that in 2016 too, and look where we are now.
    Democrats were 70,000 short in three states for the Electoral College vote. A LOT of that was due to racial voter suppression in Detroit and Milwaukee. But, had a lot more voters shown up, the landslide that had occurred in prior votes would had more than made up for the difference.

In prior races where the Democratic candidates lost, the same evidence of lack of voters is the same; with the Gore loss, with the Kerry loss; there are simply WAY WAY WAY MORE registered Democrats than Republicans. When registered Democrats don't show up, Republicans win. It's simple math.

Many pundits have pointed to "why?" and think that it's due to black vote (Obama received landslide black voter turnout, Bill Clinton garnered pretty huge black voter turnout) and that black and hispanic votes are the backbone of the Democratic vote (that part is true).

53% of white women voters voted for Trump in 2016.
    94% of black women voters voted for Clinton in 2016.

But blaming lack of black voters isn't simple math (and makes ZERO sense) because they only make up about 12% of the entire American population, let alone the Democratic vote.

So, it comes down to white people and I think reliance on what Democratic voters "assumed" the outcome would be. I think, in 2016, Dems just didn't think it was POSSIBLE that Trump could win. So, they sat home and let all those "other" voters vote and figured the TV guy would lose. Then, he didn't.

There is no "sure thing" with anyone.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-13-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I know that suppression was a big issue. But what has been done about it since then? I feel like if anything, the current administration has actually been enabling states to continue to use shady tactics (gerrymandering being a big issue, but things like purging voter rolls being another). Have there actually been strides made in cities like Detroit and Milwaukee to encourage and enable certain demographics to get out and vote? Or is the deck still stacked against them?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I know that suppression was a big issue. But what has been done about it since then? I feel like if anything, the current administration has actually been enabling states to continue to use shady tactics (gerrymandering being a big issue, but things like purging voter rolls being another). Have there actually been strides made in cities like Detroit and Milwaukee to encourage and enable certain demographics to get out and vote? Or is the deck still stacked against them?
    You know that saying, "fool me once...?"

Minority organizations are empowering themselves and addressing these situations in advance, they've been doing that for the last 2.5 years. They're addressing these voter ID situations, or lack of polling places, in advance; Stacey Abrams has spent the last two years addressing this issue in Georgia.

Gerrymandering doesn't affecting Presidential or Senate races.

Michigan is already foreseeing problems, mostly due to the forecast of a HUGE voter turnout.

The VRA will have to be completely reinstated by Congress if the Democrats get control of Congress, again.

The Milwaukee problem was due to a new Voter ID law.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-13-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I'm just constantly frustrated, for all the ways we herald the right to vote, there's so many fucking impediments into seeing it go into action. Part of me doesn't blame people who live in solid states from avoiding registration just so they don't have to worry about jury duty.

Just to clarify, I am a registered voter, it's just goddamn it...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm just constantly frustrated, for all the ways we herald the right to vote, there's so many fucking impediments into seeing it go into action. Part of me doesn't blame people who live in solid states from avoiding registration just so they don't have to worry about jury duty.

Just to clarify, I am a registered voter, it's just goddamn it...
    Here in Illinois, having a DRIVER’S LICENSE puts you into the jury duty pool.

I just checked, and that’s true in California, too.

You can’t get out of jury duty, dude. They’re now using state TAX RECORDS, too.

My Mom’s elderly neighbor swore he couldn’t vote because he had a felony conviction over 65 years ago when he was a teenager and got into a fight. Except that’s bullshit, only current prisoners or people currently in a halfway house can’t vote in Illinois. I told him that, then he says he still didn’t want to vote because it just seems like it’s such a hassle. Wtf.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-13-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Okay, now I’m getting pissed and I’ve been trying hard to be calmer about all this. If this is proved true and this is pretty fucking close, Perez needs to resign.

https://news.yahoo.com/shadow-inc-id...224407455.html

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Thing is, the APP didn’t really cause as much trouble as the idiots in charge of the Iowa caucus who PUBLISHED THE FUCKING HOTLINE NUMBER so it was EASILY OBTAINABLE VIA GOOGLE and was TOTALLY INUNDATED BY 4CHAN USERS.

Oh, and the volunteers were told not to bring their smartphones to the polls so they couldn’t use those to help access! So they were all passing around one fucking iPad.

Also, the USERS in Iowa can barely handle email let alone this mess.

Electronic voting OF ANY KIND is going to be THE worst rigged nightmare of 2020:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8621101.html
    Last edited by allegro; 02-13-2020 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    It was obviously a shit show for a variety of reasons.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It all pales in comparison to what Trump has done to Joe Biden’s campaign, what he did to Hillary Clinton’s campaign, and what Trump WILL do to the campaign of anyone he sees as a threat. He will spread lies and deception just to plant a seed of doubt. He’ll even get foreign assistance. And now the GOP is supporting him in doing it. Whomever Trump faces in the general election will face scandal, whether it’s real or not, because Trump and his henchmen fight dirty. They’re mobsters. They’re on 4chan. They’re in Russia. They’re cockroaches. It’s going to take billions and LOTS of tech to counteract it.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-13-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Bloomberg would pay $3 billion less under his wealth tax than under Sanders plan
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bloombe...GCXB1k9QZQDlsg

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    ^ I love that shit. Wonder how long it will take the mob to light him up for WALKING BACK ON MEDICARE FOR ALL because someone who has an actual understanding of the policy implementation process talks about it realistically.

Oh wait.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    So we can’t have nice things like M4A because evil greedy people in Congress wont allow it? How exactly are they (AOC and Sanders) walking it back? She even says “worst case scenario.” How is this a negative mark on Sanders? I want a president that fights for the good of the people (not the rich). Shouldn’t everyone?

You “love that shit?” Really? That’s kinda sad.
    Last edited by Swykk; 02-14-2020 at 07:39 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    The point is that the mob constantly attacks Warren for her plan (not idea) to implement it in a way that is based in reality since, you know, she actually understands how the process works.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Okay, that makes more sense but it’s important to note she’s not the only one with a plan. Implying Sanders doesn’t know how the process works isn’t a fair assessment. That said, I hope Warren bounces back. It’s been a rough go lately and again, I have no idea how Mayor Pete jumped ahead of her. That makes no sense to me.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Bloomberg has fielded nearly 40 sexual harassment and discrimination lawsuits

https://www.gq.com/story/bloomberg-sexism

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New York Mayor Bill de Blasio Plans to Endorse Bernie Sanders
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/14/u...ecv-OYwM8q9F4E

Top economist says US capitalism needs a Bernie Sanders...
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/dem...eXiZBIPjLHwpP4
    Last edited by neorev; 02-14-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    New York Mayor Bill de Blasio Plans to Endorse Bernie Sanders
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/14/u...ecv-OYwM8q9F4E

Top economist says US capitalism needs a Bernie Sanders...
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/dem...eXiZBIPjLHwpP4
    Feel the BERN!!!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

New Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows Sanders's strength going head-to-head with rivals
    https://news.yahoo.com/new-yahoo-new...181522968.html

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Bloomberg wants Hillary as his running mate.

L O L

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    The Daily Mail is about as reliable as a piece of toilet paper staying dry with rain pouring on it. They print whatever the hell they want without any fact checking to back it up.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    The Daily Mail is about as reliable as a piece of toilet paper staying dry with rain pouring on it. They print whatever the hell they want without any fact checking to back it up.
    To be honest it would fill me with glee if the report was true. Can’t be more establishment than Bloomberg and Hillary, they would be destroyed in the race and no WAY they would get the nomination.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It was first reported by Drudge Report, picked up by Fox and Daily Mail from there, for whatever that's worth.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    they would be destroyed in the race and no WAY they would get the nomination.
    Except there usually isn't an announcement about running mates until after the primaries, so it would have no impact on the race (assuming you mean the Democratic race) outside of whatever speculation and rumors people decide to buy into.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Bloomberg is a republican.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I can't wait until the republican who used to be a democrat faces off against the democrat who used to be a republican.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Also lots of rumbling that he wants Abrams.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Bloomberg pretty much is a republican, but hey, maybe that's why I know Republicans who want to vote for him over Trump.

I don't like Bloomberg, but I'll vote for him if he wins the primary. I would vote for someone way less qualified. Doesn't mean I want him or think he'd be the best choice, but there's an argument to be made that he has a unique advantage over his rivals there in his cross-aisle appeal. Republicans LIKE him, and liberals SHOULD vote for him IF he wins the primary. We can't prattle about if we just don't get our ideal candidate... if Trump is re-elected, this will get SO much worse.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Bloomberg's charitable money, analyzed:

* Environment and Climate Change: $278.2 Million

* Community Development: $210.2 Million

* Education: $239.3 Million

* Health and Safety: $1.4 Billion

* Culture and Arts: $281.5 Million

Since 1997, he has donated nearly $9.5 billion.

He founded and funds Everytown Gun Safety.

There's not a lot in that says "Republican."

(Source)

His motto is: "In God we trust. Everyone else, bring data."

See Hawkfish.

Hawkfish will be the “primary digital agency and technology services provider for the campaign,” Julie Wood, a Bloomberg campaign spokeswoman, told CNBC. She added that the firm “is now providing digital ad services, including content creation, ad placement and analytics” for their campaign. It will also help Democratic races across the country in future election cycles, she said.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2020 at 11:06 PM.