Page 71 of 128 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 3812

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ THAT is my biggest issue with voting by mail.

Not potential fraud, but the fact that the U.S. Postal Service has been totally unreliable for most of my life.

I’m AMAZED when something arrives.

In any law office that I worked at in my entire career, we NEVER mailed important documents. Ever.

Stuff too often never arrived or took forever. We either used messenger services or reliable overnight services.

I don’t even trust my own checks arriving in the mail. So why would I trust the Post Office with my ballot?

Sure, my Mom is 82 and can’t risk exposure to a pandemic.

But we have nearly a month of early voting in Illinois and that’s what I’ll be doing.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Kanye is saying he wants back on the ballot again... can someone please talk some sense into him?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Kanye is saying he wants back on the ballot again... can someone please talk some sense into him?
    He won’t take his meds.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    jesus...he is going to fight the fucking results

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Start buying N95s. We are going to HAVE to go to the polls to insure that this isn’t disputed by him for months.
    Whatever it takes. His new Postmaster General is going to purposely delay the mail to fuck up the election that way. He’s ALREADY doing it. Trump is a cheating evil prick, do NOT vote by mail where Trump can fuck it up.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Are we due for another sea change in politics where the Dems and Repubs switch sides? Or maybe they both break up into two parties? In the election book here there are people whose political parties are listed as "Pre-Trump Republican Party" and "Trump Republican Party" so I can totally see it happening.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Kasich is there because he won't vote for Trump, and the GOP is full of people right now who are jumping ship if only just for this election, to "save the country."

Hence groups like the Lincoln Project, etc.

Look at Biden's current economic plan, which was designed in concert with Elizabeth Warren (based almost entirely on her plan). It's progressive, but it's also Nationalist. Patriotic. It focuses on green initatives, but also with a heavy focus on made-in-America and Union, etc.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-b...b63a72c3414f28

Yes, during the 1968 election, we DID see a split in both parties, due to civil rights. The Democrats in the South - a/k/a the "Dixiecrats" - quit the Democratic party and jumped ship to the Republican party due to LBJ and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Likewise, Republicans who rejected the GOP's disdain for these civil rights programs jumped ship to the Democratic side. We are seeing the same thing, IN HUGE NUMBERS, right now due to Trump's embracing the Confederate flag*, his Gestapo "Law and Order" policies, and his total botching of the Covid crisis.

*See also, "Why isn't the Southern Strategy Working?"

See Elizabeth Warren re Biden's "Build Back Better"

Last edited by allegro; 07-20-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    as each day goes by, I'm starting to think Duckworth is going to be the pick. I'm ok with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    as each day goes by, I'm starting to think Duckworth is going to be the pick. I'm ok with that.
    Biden considering four African American women for VP.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/21/polit...ent/index.html

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    Biden considering four African American women for VP.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/21/polit...ent/index.html
    "I am not committed to naming any (of the potential candidates), but the people I've named, and among them there are four Black women,"

key phrase: among them
    that means there are others

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I get that there's a lot of tire spinning and corruption among the Democrats, but Joe Biden has been at least saying words I like in the last 2 weeks. Most notably, a plan to cut power plant emissions entirely by 2035, while not absolutely perfect, is very ambitious.

And I was definitely glad for a moment to think about solving problems other than simply climbing out of the hole

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I'm surprised by the optimistic tone of most of the Biden ads I've been seeing. It's a good/smart contrast to the "IF YOU VOTE FOR BIDEN YOU WILL DIEEEEEEEEEEEE!" stuff that's coming from the Trump camp.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Massachusetts Democratic primary is very interesting. Joe P. Kennedy (grandson of RFK) is challenging incumbent Ed Markey.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Markey is one of the few solid progressives in the Senate. Fuck that overly ambitious, fast speaking little Kennedy fuck. Putting Markey through a primary b/c this mealy mouthed, platitude spouting failson can't wait his turn b/c of his fucking last name is some foul shit.

Some fun things to note about Kennedy:

He had to be shamed into finally backing marijuana legalization where it was already legal in his state. Originally he was against it bc he used to be a prosecutor & thought it was a good idea to keep it illegal bc then cops could use the smell of it in cars as probable cause to search & mess with people more. Lovely.

https://www.boston.com/news/politics...-iii-marijuana

Post-George Floyd murder, who did he hire to "advise" him on racial & social justice? A fucking cop. And one with a history of ethics violations no less.

Kennedy is just another useless eastablishment shill. Talks alot, says nothing. He can fuck right off. Primary looks like it's gonna be real close.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    IMPORTANT:
    Confirm with your county clerk, but most counties allow you to HAND-DELIVER mail-in ballots to the County Clerk’s Office, bypassing the U.S. Post Office. Some Counties have drop boxes. Check your own county clerk’s office. Avoid the Post Office!!!!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    The attack on the postal service is beyond the pale. Can we put together a gofundme to make sure the post office is funded to function properly through the election? I don't know, maybe Mike Bloomberg should jump in wearing his superman-billionaire cape and make sure votes aren't thrown away.

The intention is so transparent, and it should feel completely wrong to everyone, no matter what your politics are. What do you do in response to something like this? It's just insane that he's even remotely able to do this, surely there's SOMETHING we can do in response?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm surprised by the optimistic tone of most of the Biden ads I've been seeing. It's a good/smart contrast to the "IF YOU VOTE FOR BIDEN YOU WILL DIEEEEEEEEEEEE!" stuff that's coming from the Trump camp.
    I sort of disagree, I don't understand why the Democrats don't continuously hammer Trump on his record every single goddamn second of this campaign. The only memorable anti-Trump ads are coming from the Lincoln Project and other disillusioned Republicans, I honestly feel the same as I did in 2016, the Dems are banking on a sure win and in retrospect really failed to stress to the people how bad things could be. The difference is that those bad things HAPPENED since, so it should be the obvious strategy.
    "Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?!"
    The Biden team needs to go after the rational Republicans and those who didn't bother to vote in 2016. Their game plan doesn't have urgency and the sense of danger we're actually in.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    I sort of disagree, I don't understand why the Democrats don't continuously hammer Trump on his record every single goddamn second of this campaign. The only memorable anti-Trump ads are coming from the Lincoln Project and other disillusioned Republicans, I honestly feel the same as I did in 2016, the Dems are banking on a sure win and in retrospect really failed to stress to the people how bad things could be. The difference is that those bad things HAPPENED since, so it should be the obvious strategy.
    The Biden team needs to go after the rational Republicans and those who didn't bother to vote in 2016. Their game plan doesn't have urgency and the sense of danger we're actually in.
    It's such a strange position to be in right now if you're Biden. You might be right, but I see these ads that Trump is putting out, and I like the contrast. Trump's ads are all "you will FUCKING DIE if you vote for Biden!!!!!!!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHA, Grandma's going to get a home invasion, and she's going to be terrified! Watch out Grandma!"

It's all fear and bullshit. It's not offering hope or any kind of a message that we can look forward to.

At least Biden is espousing stuff that feels encouraging and hopeful. Maybe it's all bullshit, but the tone matters right now, and I think it matters a lot more than we might realize. People are justifiably afraid right now; just that they're afraid of real things, not the horrors of Antifa or whatever. People are frightened of a pandemic that's being handled in an astonishingly incompetent manner, even for Trump. They're worried about the economy, their jobs, their health care, and all Trump has to offer them is this scorched earth promise if Biden is elected.

And I really think there's power in contrast. Maybe if Trump was being sensible in his ads, a different approach might be better to draw attention to the stark difference. It doesn't hurt that there's some good-guy Republicans actually doing the dirty work for us. Lincoln Project is awesome.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @Jinsai , that's a good point, too.

At this point, Biden can continue hiding in his basement and not campaign AT ALL and still win.

Because Trump is running against himself.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    A quick answer to your initial question is two fold. One, Democrats are still scarred from the beatings they took during the Reagan era, the 2nd Bush reign, and losing to Trump in 2016. It needs alot more unpacking than this, but the Democratic mindset has basically been to eternally be on the defensive & refusing to be bold for the past 40 years. I am referring to the party as a whole & leadership especially...there are of course some bold people in the party that aren't afraid to go for the jugular like you propose.

Two, they are paid to lose. Pelosi & Schumer fundraise more effectively when they aren't in power and can just point to the boogeyman. They have little incentive to really tear down the Republicans the way they need to be attacked, b/c it would disrupt their own personal existence. They would then be held to account more often.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    During the Reagan administration, Republicans controlled the Senate from 1980-1986, but the Democrats controlled the House. Republicans lost control of the Senate in 1986.

Bill Clinton was elected in 1992 when George HW Bush failed to win a 2nd term. The Democrats also won the majority Congress, until 1994.

After the Clinton impeachment, Republicans maintained control of Congress between 1995 and 2007.

In 2008, Barack Obama won the Presidency, and the Democrats took back control of Congress. The Democrats lost that control to Republicans two years later with the advent of the Tea Party movement. In 2018, the Democrats took back control of the House, but Republicans maintain control of the Senate.

Congress doesn’t control Presidential election candidates; the Speaker fundraises for downballot candidates. Democrats won back the House in 2018, and they’re expected not only to maintain the House in 2020 but also possibly win back the Senate.

The DNC is partially responsible for Democratic candidate’s campaigns, but a lot rests on the campaign manager and strategies. There’s science behind this.

The GOP has used Karl Rove many times. He’s the guy who helped GW Bush win by designing the “Swift boat” campaign against John Kerry. Kerry was an actual Vietnam veteran, vs. Bush who was drunk and got deferments.

There is logic behind what @Jinsai said: That Trump is the incumbent, and his terrible record speaks for itself. 150,000 are dead; the Covid pandemic has been handled horribly; unemployment and the economy are in a shambles because of Trump; Trump used military against American citizens during peaceful protests; etc. There’s no good reason to spend millions convincing voters of what they already know. The better money is spent making sure voting integrity is insured, that voting rights are guaranteed, and that Democrats win Congress as well as all local elections.

The Democratic Party is tight and assembled under a “Big Tent.”

The Republican Party is wreckage. The Tea Party started the split, but Trump stuck a fork in it.

Younger voters are MUCH less apt to become Republican voters. The GOP has not done anything to attempt to appeal to young voters. Their voter attrition rate means the party will be extinct in a short period of time,
    Last edited by allegro; 08-04-2020 at 12:13 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Fuck around & find out:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/u...lacy-clay.html

ST. LOUIS — Cori Bush, a progressive activist and a leader of the swelling protest movement for racial justice, toppled Representative William Lacy Clay Jr. of Missouri in a Democratic primary on Tuesday, notching the latest in a stunning string of upsets against the party establishment.

Ms. Bush, 44, had captured nearly 49 percent of the vote by late Tuesday evening compared with 45.5 percent for Mr. Clay, according to
    The Associated Press. She had tried and failed to unseat Mr. Clay in 2018, but this year rode a surge in support for more liberal,
    confrontational politics within the Democratic Party amid the coronavirus pandemic and the national outcry over festering racial
    inequities.
    Ms. Bush’s victory, which came on the same night that Missouri voters decided to expand Medicaid eligibility, was a significant milestone
    for insurgent progressive candidates and the groups, like Justice Democrats, that have backed them across the country. It showed that the
    same brand of politics that has helped young, liberal candidates of color unseat veteran party stalwarts in places like Massachusetts and
    New York could also resonate deep in the heartland against a Black incumbent whose family has been synonymous with his district for
    decades.
    Ms. Bush now joins figures like Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, who defeated the 20-year veteran Representative
    Joseph Crowley in 2018, and Jamaal Bowman, who last month won a primary against Representative Eliot L. Engel, a powerful committee
    chairman in his 16th term representing a district straddling the Bronx and Westchester.
    A single mother, former nurse and pastor, Ms. Bush would be the first Black woman to represent the state of Missouri in Congress. The
    plurality of the district, which encompasses St. Louis and some of its innermost liberal suburbs, is African-American and considered safely
    Democratic.
    “Tonight, Missouri’s 1st District has decided that an incremental approach isn’t going to work any longer,” Ms. Bush told supporters at a
    jubilant news conference after the race was called. “We decided that we the people have the answers, and we will lead from the front
    lines.”
    Mr. Clay, the scion of a storied Black Missouri political dynasty in his 10th term in Congress, had tried to make the campaign a referendum
    on not only Ms. Bush’s suitability for elected office but also the progressive movement behind her. He carried out a series of dark, personal
    attacks in the campaign’s final days to try to halt Ms. Bush’s momentum and described her as a “prop” of out-of-town interests seeking to
    divide the Democratic Party along racial lines.
    Mr. Clay highlighted his own ties to the Democratic power structure, earning endorsements from Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senator Kamala
    Harris of California and groups like Planned Parenthood.
    Late Tuesday night, it was Justice Democrats, which helped groom Ms. Bush and other successful progressive challengers, that was
    celebrating.
    “If you don’t know, now you know: The Squad is here to stay, and it’s growing,” said Alexandra Rojas, the group’s executive director.
    Unlike other incumbents who have lost in recent years, Mr. Clay did not fit neatly into the moderate or progressive wings of the party. He
    had supported some hallmark progressive policies in Washington, including “Medicare for all” and the Green New Deal, but also
    continued to take campaign money from corporations. Ms. Bush’s backers bashed him for helping payday lenders.

Ms. Bush built her campaign around her personal story as a working-class Black woman who was pulled into public life after a white
    police officer shot and killed Michael Brown, an unarmed Black teenager, in Ferguson, Mo., in 2014. She joined protesters in the days after
    the shooting, and in the weeks and years that followed became one of their leaders, staring down tear gas, mace and rubber bullets.
    Ms. Bush was a fixture at protests across the district this summer after the police killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor.

Speaking to reporters and a small group of supporters Tuesday night through a medical mask, Ms. Bush drew a bright line from her
    experience confronting the police on the streets where Mr. Brown died to her victory at the ballot box.
    “I was maced and beaten by those same police officers in those same streets,” she said. “Six months from now, as the first Black
    congresswoman in the entire history of Missouri, I will be holding every single one of them accountable.”
    She added: “If you didn’t understand what happened, what was birthed right here in St. Louis, Missouri, in St. Louis County, in Ferguson,
    we’re about to show you.”
    Amid a worsening health and economic crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic, Ms. Bush pushed drastic changes to the nation’s
    criminal justice system, including defunding and dismantling police departments; called for Medicare for all, a $15 minimum wage and a
    universal basic income; and swore off corporate campaign contributions.
    But as the campaign wore on, she also began sharpening her attacks against Mr. Clay directly, accusing him of “failed leadership” after
    two decades in office. She noted that he was largely absent from the protests and questioned his commitment to fighting for voters in a city
    troubled by segregation and economic stagnation.
    “He’s had 20 years to make a change, not only in St. Louis but across this country,” Ms. Bush said on Saturday. “He waits until something
    is popular to stand up for it, or he waits until there is pressure. I do it just because that is the need.”
    The message ultimately resonated with voters, many of whom had never before voted for a congressman not named Clay. William Lacy
    Clay Sr., a local civil rights figure, entered Congress in 1969 and handed the seat to his son when he retired in 2001.
    While Mr. Clay narrowly carried the portions of the district in suburban St. Louis County, Ms. Bush won a commanding victory in the city
    of St. Louis.
    Ms. Bush’s campaign explicitly benefited from the momentum claimed by progressives this summer and since 2018. A documentary about
    her 2018 campaign and that of challengers like Ms. Ocasio-Cortez, “Knock Down the House,” helped build a national profile. And donations
    to her campaign far outpaced those in 2018, allowing her to advertise on TV here, as other progressives notched victories.
    Ms. Bush’s victory comes just a few weeks after Mr. Bowman, a middle school principal from the Bronx, upset Mr. Engel, the chairman of
    the House Foreign Affairs Committee. In Illinois in March, Marie Newman, another progressive, defeated Representative Dan Lipinski, a
    conservative Democrat who opposed abortion rights and the Affordable Care Act. Like Ms. Ocasio-Cortez, each challenger had the
    backing of Justice Democrats.
    But while Ms. Bush had the group’s enthusiastic support as well — she was one of only two challengers to Black incumbents it endorsed
    this cycle — and was endorsed by Mr. Bowman, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez had conspicuously sat on the sidelines. She had campaigned for Ms.
    Bush in 2018, but Mr. Clay courted the New York Democrat in Washington, signing onto the Green New Deal, and inviting Ms. Ocasio-
    Cortez and other progressive lawmakers to support some of his bills.
    In Missouri they also voted to expand Medicaid under Obamacare, another statewide rebuke of Republicans wishes on the ACA in a deep red state, after Oklahoma I believe did the same recently.

With Cori Bush's win & Rashida Tlaib's easy defense of her seat in tonight's primaries, that means at least 10 Justice Dems will be in Congress next year. Next up is Alex Morse, attempting to kick out corrupt corporate establishment shill Richard Neal in Massachusetts 1st District. Gonna be real tough, as Neal is one of the most powerful Dems in the house, and has a ton of $ behind him. Neal has to go for a myriad of reasons, but the most recent & egregrious is his dragging his feet last year on seizing Trump's tax records when he had the chance, all b/c he was protecting his own ass re: tax records of elected officlals -

https://prospect.org/politics/trump-...-richard-neal/

And hopefully Justice Dem Kara Eastman can pull out the win in November against whichever shithead Republican she's running against in Omaha. That would make her #11. Morse would be 12.

Sadly, disgusting racist monster Kris Kobach lost his Republican primary fight in Kansas, now making him a three time loser, as he has lost House, Governor & Senate races there. Take a hint MAGA chud. But it actually would have been great if he won his primary, as it would have given the Dem attempting to win the Senate seat there, Barbara Bollier, a much better chance of victory bc of how unlikable Kobach is. Ah well.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    To celebrate our 20th anniversary my wife and I went back to Kansas where we met and got married, spent about two weeks there driving around the Leavenworth and Ft. Riley areas.

I am honestly surprised that he lost.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    https://www.businessinsider.com/bide...diverse-2020-8

Is this not such a big deal since Trump has set the bar so far for spouting off-the-wall, border line racist rhetoric?

Are those two actually going to be in a debate?

If Joe wins is it a safe bet to assume that whoever is the running mate will shortly become POTUS thereafter?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

sigh.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I don't know, I thought "I'm not going to argue with you, Jesus is King" was pretty unsettling.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I am not surprised at all of that 50% statistic and I'd imagine it might even be higher in reality.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    That graph is why I don't believe people when they say they are "not political". 9/10 times when somebody says they "aren't political" what they really mean is "i'm conservative but I haven't put a lot of thought into it and don't want to argue about it because I can't defend my position." If you really press people like that on specific issues and political figures, you can figure out rather quickly that they are gonna pull the lever for Trump.

Then on the other end of the spectrum you have lukewarm Democrats who you can't count on to show up to the polls or protests. I'm not talking about folks who typically get the brunt of voter suppression tactics. I'm talking financially stable, white, straight folks who hate Donald Trump but won't do anything about that. My husband and I were appalled by some of our friends who relentlessly bitch about and mock the GOP...but didn't bother to vote in the primaries this week. These are folks who have easy access and plenty of time to go to the poll or fill out an absentee ballot. They just don't feel like it because they think it doesn't do anything. I'm sympathetic to their disenfranchisement, I feel it too. But Medcaid expansion FINALLY passed in Missouri this week, and only by a hair. Better believe those non-voting friends of mine shared the news stories of that passing on Facebook as if this was something they personally helped bring to fruition.

Nothing surprises me when I see a poll anymore. Folks are often not terribly honest with themselves and others about their political leanings or level of political involvement.