Page 17 of 128 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm enjoying Andrew Yang lately, kinda just discovering him. I'd like to hear more about his policies, but he seems smart and knows how finances/technology works, which is very important.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    LOL @ Biden promising to cure cancer if he's elected president.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    I mean....if you're gonna promise something outlandish, I'd rather it be "I'll cure cancer" than "I'll kick out all the scary colored people so you'll be safe again".

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Although on the plus side, he's talking bigger than Trump. Is that how to beat Trump? Take the insanity up a level?

I mean, if you're going to do something crazy, at least make sure it's something that will probably have some positive effect even if you fail.

Throwing resources at trying to cure cancer should at least make some significant progress, and that's not a bad thing. I'm down for this style of crazy.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Biden’s been getting (much-deserved) flack all day for this shit:

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I think I'm gonna give Biden a pass on the cancer promise because it's something that's affected his family directly and something he's passionate about. I took it to mean more that he's going to focus as many resources as possible to curing it and holding everyone accountable to a high standard of research.

I have problems with mostly everything else - lecturing women that he's their big champion while assertively pointing, his long-term support of the Hyde amendment even though he's just now flipped on it, not being for medicare-for-all, and most importantly: thinking that getting Trump out of office will "fix" the problem with the Republicans and that all of a sudden Mitch McConnell is going to come to his senses and actually legislate. Come on now.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post

Cox/Dorian 2020. Lets goooo. Just rewatched Scrubs and forgot how great it was.

On topic.... I think Mayor Pete is close to becoming my favorite candidate despite myself being a Beto supporter. Can't wait to see how they stack up in the debates in a couple weeks!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Biden is somehow screwing this up, even with the huge head start.

If the Democrats actually fuck this up in 2020, I’m going to need to find religion or something

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Biden is somehow screwing this up, even with the huge head start.

If the Democrats actually fuck this up in 2020, I’m going to need to find religion or something
    Yep, though, I can't help but wonder if that was always going to be his destiny. His enthusiasm among the folks supporting him now was declining before he even entered. Right now, based on this Iowa poll (http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2019/images/0...a_saturday.pdf), his lead is tightening and there are several debates ahead.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I know lots of people love this Medicare for All idea, but it ain’t happening.

The ACA was slapped together by insurance lobbyists because most of Congress is beholden to the insurance industry and the medical industry and Big Pharma.

So what likely WILL happen (first) is a PUBLIC option for Medicare. Which would actually strengthen Medicare because Medicare wouldn’t have nothing but old or sick people paying into it. And private insurance will remain an option for primary or supplemental insurance.

Universal healthcare would allow private health insurance (vs. obliterating it, which Medicare for All would do) which would allow us to have options. Currently, Medicare recipients pay for both Medicare and the supplemental private insurance of their choice.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-13-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Biden was big on the cancer cure thing when he was V.P.

Remember the “moon shot” to cure cancer?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/14/h...sultPosition=1

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    so...can anyone convince me why I should be interested in Warren? I've already determined who I support. but if he loses, I'd have to go with Pete. Warren is my 3rd pick, but there's a far gap between 1 and 2 and an even further gap between 1 and 3.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    so...can anyone convince me why I should be interested in Warren? I've already determined who I support. but if he loses, I'd have to go with Pete. Warren is my 3rd pick, but there's a far gap between 1 and 2 and an even further gap between 1 and 3.
    I'm not sure why you need to be convinced. Literally every candidate running so far is light years ahead of what we've got now. Vote your conscience in the primaries, and if that guy loses, vote for whoever gets the nod when the general comes around. Your other options are vote independent, no-vote, or vote for the toddler. I think you're smart enough to know that none of those are actually intelligent options in this election.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'd say stick with who you're supporting right now and change your mind later if you want. Dunno what state you're in, but you're six months away minimum from having to firm up your support to vote in the primary. Warren is a great choice along with Mayor Pete and I'd guess your number 1 is a great choice as well. Just make sure you vote in the primary and make your voice heard with it.

Same sentiment as @theimage13 about the general election. We need you stick with us and start changing this shit.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    good points, thank you. like I said, I've become really interested in what Yang has been saying. he's very real about certain things, like how a $15 minimum wage can hurt small places, how automation is taking over factories and truck drivers and to think we can go back, it's just not happening. as he said, 20th century ideas in the 21st century won't work.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    good points, thank you. like I said, I've become really interested in what Yang has been saying. he's very real about certain things, like how a $15 minimum wage can hurt small places, how automation is taking over factories and truck drivers and to think we can go back, it's just not happening. as he said, 20th century ideas in the 21st century won't work.
    Dunno if you've seen this yet but Andrew Yang was just interviewed by Tommy Vietor from Pod Save America; it went live this morning - https://crooked.com/podcast/andrew-y...tes-the-penny/

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    After Andrew Yang's Tweet about how we shouldn't talk about imprisoning former presidents because that's what "developing countries do," and we should instead focus on 2020.... You know what... FUCK YOU! You had NO chance of actually winning the primaries, and now you ass-barf this fucking opinion out there? FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU! I'll vote for Trump over your coward ass, get the fuck out of here with this shit.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ^ two things about that. he told that to Fox. that's actually a smart thing to say to Fox if you're a Dem trying to win over some of their voters. who's to say he won't backtrack on that comment in the future? maybe he does support it but isn't saying it now. secondly, he has also said it is up to Congress to decide. which is true.

I get the anger and I don't agree with his statement. but that's not going to deter me from supporting him, as disagreeable as that statement may seem with my beliefs. but he did lose a lot of points with me on this unfortunately.

thinking about it more, I almost feel like he's trying to sabotage his campaign. he made some questionable comments about Biden (I get it, mud slinging is part of it) and then this, before the debates? not a good look. I'm closer to being on the fence about him now than I was before. which is unfortunate.
    Last edited by versusreality; 06-14-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I get pragmatism, I get strategy. There's also "someone did something wrong, they should be punished." I was "fine" with Yang before now, as impossible as his candidacy seemed, but that tweet actually REALLY pissed me off.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I feel you man. I've been doing nothing but analyzing the situation since you posted it, as I stay off twitter. now I'm jumping into the twitter verse and yeah, lots of valid points that echo yours.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    If we exonerate Trump for his crimes just because he was president, it sets a REALLY shitty precedent for future leaders, and it informs them that they are ABOVE THE LAW if they get there. That REALLY sucks.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I can't say I disagree at all. I am actually shocked to hear Yang say otherwise. At this point, I think he's just someone who's trying to get UBI out into the public, and that's it, not trying to really win. I can't see him being serious after that comment, and I see him getting pounded in the debates now because of that statement...sigh.

well mayor Pete, you're moving up a bit in the ranks for me it seems.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    After Andrew Yang's Tweet about how we shouldn't talk about imprisoning former presidents because that's what "developing countries do," and we should instead focus on 2020.... You know what... FUCK YOU! You had NO chance of actually winning the primaries, and now you ass-barf this fucking opinion out there? FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU! I'll vote for Trump over your coward ass, get the fuck out of here with this shit.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    was watching this..Biden is terrible. was he drunk?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Pay attention to the candidates who start acknowledging the results of this poll and others like it. There's the Medicare-for-all litmus test of support; now it's time for those who support it to start being honest about how they'd work to implement it and how understandable they plan on making it to voters. Our employers change our insurance plans often enough, but the perception is the biggest thing here.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I am starting to think the only reason Biden has polled so well is due entirely to the majority of voters not really paying much attention in general... I really think it’s “oh I know him, he’s the guy who was there with Obama?!”

I honestly think the pro-Biden voter right now = “I am SO sick of Trump, and while this isn’t my thing really, I remember him and that was better.” Those people will vote blue no matter who wins the primaries

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I agree. watching various candidates speak yesterday was very helpful. I cannot stand Harris, and Biden seemed drunk or incoherent at best. Warren won some points with me.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I have yet to hear a reasonable point about why "Elizabeth Warren would be a bad president."