Page 107 of 128 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 117 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,210 of 3812

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    eh, I'd put it at 90/10 then. The only reason I say ten is:
    "Even if President Obama got a full complement onto the board (and he didn't, not because of Bernie Sanders holds, but because he didn't fill the vacancies for many years to begin with, and didn't prioritize the board when Democrats held the Senate), Trump would have been able to secure a majority by filling expiring seats," Dayen wrote.
    pretty much every other quote in there is from a Sanders person hence the 90.

Also:
    Sanders had good reason to block the appointments, Gunnels said. "We were afraid if [the Republican appointments] had been put into place they would have resurrected [a five-year plan] calling for closure of 13,000 post offices and 252 mail processing plants, substantially slowing down mail delivery. That would have led to a death spiral in the Postal Service."

Is Gunnels willing to reconsider the decision in hindsight? He replied with a firm "no."
    "Hey, know what we were worried about? That thing that Trump did. Are we worried we made the wrong decision and things ended up the way we feared? also no.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Always remember, though: there might be a method to this madness. This might be some fucking long game cooked up by people like Stone and Bannon, who know EXACTLY what they're doing.
    The VAST majority of the rest of the party is totally ignoring his shit right now. They want him to go away. They’re stuck between a rock and a hard place: If they denounce what he says, Trump publicly goes after them, and they and their families get death threats; if they go along with what he says, they risk the same thing plus losing a substantial moderate conservative Republican base that’s totally sick of DJT.

Trump has already imploded the GOP.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The VAST majority of the rest of the party is totally ignoring his shit right now. They want him to go away. They’re stuck between a rock and a hard place: If they denounce what he says, Trump publicly goes after them, and they and their families get death threats; if they go along with what he says, they risk the same thing plus losing a substantial moderate conservative Republican base that’s totally sick of DJT.

Trump has already imploded the GOP.
    They may want him to go away, especially establishment people like Mitch McConnell and such. Like I said, I think the only people who REALLY believe this shit are people like Marjorie Taylor Green.
    SO, these candidates have to bet on moderate conservatives or the trump party.

If 2 thirds of the electorate still thinks he won this time NEXT year, well...

At any rate, it will be interesting I would LOOOOOOVE to see, say, House Republicans denounce trump en masse.

But I think THEY have to stand up. I think trump is still very much the leader of the gop base. I think some of you guys underestimate this.
    And it isn't just where I live: I mean, it's not as if I KICK it with people up here.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-18-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I love that he’s actually calling the election results (in quotes) “The Really Big Lie.” The actual big lie is the stolen election bullshit, Goebbels.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    It's funny that "The Big Lie" is what he's pushing that he won and his galaxy-brain turnaround is calling Biden winning "The Really Big Lie". I mean, that's him to a T: steal steal steal.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    So now trump is suing the Jan 6th investigative committee, trying to block the release of related White House records. Gee, totally sounds like an innocent guy with nothing to hide

I would really love to see every politician backing this bullshit just completely end their career in shamed disgrace. If history books don’t shit all over these people…
    Last edited by Jinsai; 10-18-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    History is written by the winners, hence Texas etc. looking to remove 'critical race theory' and other topics.

which is depressing af so I'm going to bike home and try to not think about anything but the bike for ~20 minutes.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I think trump is still very much the leader of the gop base. I think some of you guys underestimate this.
    There’s a way out for the GOP: Join up with the liberals, temporarily, only to get rid of the populist white supremacist autocrat, to save the country.

Like the Czechs just did:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/opini...lah/index.html
    Last edited by allegro; 10-19-2021 at 07:40 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Here’s where I’m losing it… ok Trump, you don’t want the Jan 6 Committee to get to the bottom of what was really going on? Then shut up! Fuck off! Go. Away. But if you won’t do that and you keep riling up your fan base, then we are going to probe

Everyone wants to move on but he won’t let it happen!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Trump thinks Thomas Jefferson was a “principal writer” of the U.S. Constitution.

Jefferson was not a writer, at all, of the U.S. Constitution.

The U.S. Constitution should be amended to require that all presidential candidates pass a test demonstrating their knowledge of the U.S. Constitution, including the Constitutional Convention.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Everyone wants to move on but he won’t let it happen!
    Republicans want to move on.

Trump people want to move on from January 6 but NOT from the “Big Steal.”

Everyone ELSE wants a full investigation, because it’s obvious that it was all an inside job. And that’s why Trump is so hot to hide the evidence.

Edit: Personally, I don’t EVER want to move on. I don’t EVER want us to forget. We watched January 6th happen live on TV, and it was terrifying. It became obvious pretty quickly, to me, that the Capitol Police had ZERO ability to control the situation that was unfolding as we watched, or to protect our elected officials inside (or their staff). It sounds alarmist, but I still think that it was just as awful as watching 9/11. Because the terrorists were domestic, and they were 100% trying to subvert our Constitution and laws and overturn an election to install someone who WASN’T duly elected.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-19-2021 at 10:23 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ugh, a message from Trump Nation:

Edit:WARNING NSFW LANGUAGE HORRIBLE RACISM ETC.

Last edited by allegro; 10-29-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    WTF

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Ugh, a message from Trump Nation:

WOW... just going to add, that this needs to come with a big warning. You do NOT want this sort of language blasting loudly in your apartment when you're just getting to meet your neighbors. Holy shit. People who feel comfortable talking like this are garbage.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 10-30-2021 at 12:13 AM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I've seen some interesting numbers, lately. MOST GOP Senators DO NOT want trump to run again. I take this as finally, a sign, that these people KNOW BETTER.

BUT, 77% of republican VOTERS think Biden is and illegitimate president. A quarter of Republican voters STILL think trump will be reinstated THIS YEAR.
    Furthermore, 21 million of said Americans want to see Trump reinstalled BY FORCE.
    And one in 4 americans think the election was stolen.

Congressional Republicans are in a strange position. I'd like to see them back away from Trump, en masse.

BUT, they're afraid of losing their seats. THis is why some of them are just saying "fuck it, i quit."
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-30-2021 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    No, 77% of them might say that, or casually imply it, or wear a stupid t shirt, but they do not believe the stuff they say. But what they actually believe is way more terrifying

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    No, 77% of them might say that, or casually imply it, or wear a stupid t shirt, but they do not believe the stuff they say. But what they actually believe is way more terrifying

As in, they believe we need like a white nationalist dominionist theocracy? I'm just making sure I follow you.

Edit: (You guys should check out Telltale Atheist on YouTube. He wades into a lot of this horrifying stuff, on a regular basis.)

SOME of them actually believe it, though. And they ALSO think Trump was sent by Gawd. Some of these nut jobs ALSO, some of these lunatics...the CULT MEMBER level people- they think he's the return of Cyrus the Great.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-31-2021 at 07:25 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Even though this is a predominantly white thing, I don’t feel like this issue truly has anything to do with race… outside of large groups of these white people aligning with racists as some kind of political solidarity

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Even though this is a predominantly white thing, I don’t feel like this issue truly has anything to do with race… outside of large groups of these white people aligning with racists as some kind of political solidarity
    You're probably right that outside of the racism, it probably doesn't have anything to do with race.

???

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tomorrow in VA will be a canary in the coal mine.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Regardless of outcome, it already should be.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/de...orial-election

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm not sure about that. McAuliffe already WAS Gov of Virginia, before. I don't think Virginia has ever been or ever will be a bellwether state.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm not sure about that. McAuliffe already WAS Gov of Virginia, before. I don't think Virginia has ever been or ever will be a bellwether state.
    Biden won VA by ten points a year ago and McAuliffe is getting his clock cleaned. There's no way to sugarcoat that.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Biden won VA by ten points a year ago and McAuliffe is getting his clock cleaned. There's no way to sugarcoat that.
    Governor and President are two different things.

Local politics vs. national are two TOTALLY separate things.

Biden was more of a vote AGAINST TRUMP, and not FOR Biden.

But the Governor vote is 100% about governing their own state.

Also, it's early; we don't really know about Virginia, yet.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-02-2021 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Governor and President are two different things.

Local politics vs. national are two TOTALLY separate things.
    Cliche and dismissive about what this could mean for the midterms and the 2024 election.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Cliche and dismissive about what this could mean for the midterms and the 2024 election.
    I'm sorry, but I disagree.

Illinois has had several Republican Governors, but hasn't elected a Republican President since 1988. The two aren't necessarily linked in ALL states.

Maybe in VIRGINIA they are, but this isn't necessarily a "sign."

Other than Republicans vote for Republicans and Democrats vote for Democrats. No big surprise, there.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-03-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    a bunch of tweets claiming election fraud for fairfax county popped up two hours ago so that’s fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    a bunch of tweets claiming election fraud for fairfax county popped up two hours ago so that’s fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If McAuliffe were winning the right-wing would be screaming voter fraud.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    If McAuliffe were winning the right-wing would be screaming voter fraud.
    An old friend who was a long ETS member is a Virginia resident and I only know Virginia through her, and it has been more than obvious that Virginia is not a Democrat state. Not yet, anyway. That was Robert E. Lee's state, and that ain't changed.

It sure would be nice if it was, but it's not a Blue state. It's steeped in Confederate history, and that's not gonna change anytime soon.

I can personally attest to this:

I've gone back-and-forth in the last, say, 15 years or so between Centrism and Progressivism, because Centrism was "the only way to negotiate to get things done" after Newt Gingrich.

And I was wrong.

And after this total bullshit that is Manchin and Sinema, I can 100% fully affirm that Centrism, in 2021, is nothing but Conservative Light.

I am now 100% burn-it-to-the-ground fuck-these-people Progressive.

It really is Game On for the U.S. right now for Progressives vs. Trumpists.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-03-2021 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    An old friend who was a long ETS member is a Virginia resident and I only know Virginia through her, and it has been more than obvious that Virginia is not a Democrat state. Not yet, anyway. That was Robert E. Lee's state, and that ain't changed.

It sure would be nice if it was, but it's not a Blue state. It's steeped in Confederate history, and that's not gonna change anytime soon.

I can personally attest to this:

I've gone back-and-forth in the last, say, 15 years or so between Centrism and Progressivism, because Centrism was "the only way to negotiate to get things done" after Newt Gingrich.

And I was wrong.

And after this total bullshit that is Manchin and Sinema, I can 100% fully affirm that Centrism, in 2021, is nothing but Conservative Light.

I am now 100% burn-it-to-the-ground fuck-these-people Progressive.

It really is Game On for the U.S. right now for Progresses vs. Trumpists.
    As someone who's spent a lot of time in VA, yeah it's still very much a toss up state.

And while I don't think you're wrong, the more progressive a candidate the more republican turnout. If I'm not wrong, TMAC's comments on both police and school boards is what led to the last minute surge.

I think the whole country is pretty well fucked. But one thing that Trump proves is that anyone can come along and completely take over a party overnight. Would be nice to see just a decent reasonable human being take over one of these days. But I fear Trump might also prove the more controversial and out there a candidate is the better their chances. And that's not good for anyone.