Page 102 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 3812

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    This is kinda what I feared.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/09/polit...ies/index.html

Drump will install a lackey, and this could get bad.
    Over in the Trump thread, please!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I'm putting $25 a week into GA through Fair Fight until Run Off day.

www.GAsenate.com automatically splits your donation and gives to Warnock, Ossoff, and Fair Fight with the option to adjust as you see fit.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

uh, he should read the room.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    uh, he should read the room.
    So he supports DC and PR statehood but is iffy on nixing the filibuster? Does he comprehend the relationship between the two issues? Does he realize adding 4 senators makes the filibuster less of a stopgap for Dems as it is now? Someone talk to this man.

At this point, the issues of policy are moot. Vote this dude in and caucus him to death until he comes around on the other issues.
    Last edited by cdm; 11-10-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Here's our next lesson in current American government and why it's nowhere near being the progressive bastion we want or deserve:

Because Manchin is from a conservative state and he wants to keep his money and power.

So if we win the two Georgia seats (one seems a shoe-in, the other is gonna be REALLY difficult), at least two Democratic Senators, likely more, are totally against getting rid of the filibuster (because, again, their constituents guide their votes and they want to keep their money and power).

So we need to get TEN MORE seats in 2022 to pass legislation (except for budget reconciliation).

But see this re the filibuster: https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...f-the-minority

Democrats never used its minority position very well. Republicans took it to an art form. And they'll do it, again, even if you remove a filibuster. They're ruthless.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-10-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    ANNNNNNNNNNND

Your "Used to Stand for Something" shirt now will appear to be a pro trump shirt, too.
    The original "used to stand for something" shirt was from Year Zero. Throw it in the closet and give it time. America will fuck up again.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    The original "used to stand for something" shirt was from Year Zero...
    year ze..zero? what is that?

No, but seriously: this keeps happening. I live in an insanely conservative area. I got a bootleg gun/cross shirt, before realizing that people around here think that's a fucking GREAT idea.

i ordered the broken shirt, assuming trump was going to win, and, yeah.

idk, though: someone wanted to fight me a few years ago for wearing a black and white american flag shirt, which to me, is an Outkast shirt.

So surely, hopefully, SOMEONE will fucking get it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    year ze..zero? what is that?
    Pretty sure we just lived through most of it.

No, but seriously: this keeps happening. I live in an insanely conservative area. I got a bootleg gun/cross shirt, before realizing that people around here think that's a fucking GREAT idea.

i ordered the broken shirt, assuming trump was going to win, and, yeah.

idk, though: someone wanted to fight me a few years ago for wearing a black and white american flag shirt, which to me, is an Outkast shirt.

So surely, hopefully, SOMEONE will fucking get it.
    I feel your pain. I too am in a conservative capitol. People love their guns with their bible, no need to separate them and no they don't see any irony in it.

True story, years ago when Colbert still had the Colbert Report, I saw a friend watching it and I say "What are you watching that for I thought you were super conservative?" he replies "Idk man, I think this guy is kinda conservative." I was stunned into silence and had a blank stare on my face the rest of the day. That is the level of idiocy we are up against.

But what's the deal with a black and white flag? I actually have one hanging up but I just though it looked cool. I didn't think it had any significance except that military personnel wear them on uniforms because it works better as camo. Does it represent something else now? Also Stankonia is a great album and I'm gonna blast it if Georgia wins the senate in a few months.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @burnmotherfucker! , we had a discussion somewhere on this forum, about the black and white flag thing, and a user found that it does, in fact, have various subversive connotations. It's somewhere in the "little things that piss you off" thread, I think, circa 2015? Also, for the record, your screen name makes me THINK of Stankonia, as in "burn motherfucker, burn American dreams."

Back on point, do you guys think these ATLiens can pull off the senate races? Because, oh my dear lord: we'd have Washington on lock, if only for two years.

Edit: what is the best place to donate for these Georgia runnoffs?
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-11-2020 at 12:44 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Back on point, do you guys think these ATLiens can pull off the senate races? Because, oh my dear lord: we'd have Washington on lock, if only for two years.

Warnock: Yes

Ossoff: Not so sure, unless Abrams can get out a LOT more Georgia voters.

But if Democrats DO win those two, it would mean a tie in the Senate and VP Harris would break the tie, and the filibuster is still 60 and the Senate can’t even get rid of it without 60.

Here’s the link: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/2020gasenaterunoff
    Last edited by allegro; 11-11-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    why does Joe Manchin have ANY liberal support at this point? It's ludicrous how blatant he is. Fuck this guy.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    @burnmotherfucker! , we had a discussion somewhere on this forum, about the black and white flag thing, and a user found that it does, in fact, have various subversive connotations. It's somewhere in the "little things that piss you off" thread, I think, circa 2015? Also, for the record, your screen name makes me THINK of Stankonia, as in "burn motherfucker, burn American dreams."

Haha, I hadn't even made that connection myself and I love that OutKast track. My screen name I just got because of my love for Burning Bright (Field on Fire) just for the record. But now it's both!

As for the races in GA, I really don't know. The Evil Empire will pull out all the stops so hopefully the Resistance can keep rolling there.

From what I understand anything requiring a filibuster simply won't happen either way. But it is still huge to get the majority because not everything requires it. Biden won't even be able to nominate a SC justice and get a floor vote without a majority in this new Monty Python-esque unreasonable world Mcconnel has built.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    why does Joe Manchin have ANY liberal support at this point? It's ludicrous how blatant he is. Fuck this guy.
    Forgot about him, yeah he basically counts as a republican most of the time so that would throw a wrench in the majority.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Some of the brain trust on Twitter is saying that Manchin is trying to clear the way for Warnock and Ossoff to win because he’s giving moderate voters permission in knowing that the filibuster is safe. He did famously say before 2018 that he thinks the Senate sucks so I don’t quite think he’s protecting his seat but moreso could be positioning for a run at governor - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-senate-sucks/

I dunno. Look, Biden hasn’t flat out said he’s for nuking the filibuster either but is open to arguments about it. Manchin’s quote attributes all of this as crazy stuff so the context might be the indicator: it may seem crazy now, but if Republicans don’t come to the table to negotiate on ANYTHING and they aren’t even willing to have conversations about healthcare reform much less Biden’s cabinet picks? Maybe if that happens, nuking the filibuster won’t seem so crazy. The Supreme court strikes down every meaningful piece of legislation that Dems pass because it’s so imbalanced? Expanding the court won’t seem so crazy. I dunno.

Full disclosure - I fucking hate Joe Manchin and was really hoping that we could have flipped more Senate seats so we wouldn’t have to deal with this stupid shit from him anymore. I’m ready to give his Senate seat back in exchange for one from Ohio or Missouri or Kansas.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Well, we still have 2022, when a BUNCH of Senate seats are up for grabs; 21 Republicans and 13 Democrats.

(WI-R) Ron Johnson and (PA-R) Pat Toomey aren’t running.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    In some kinda shocking news: Not my district, but still a bummer: Lauren Underwood lost to a guy my husband DESPISES, Jim Oberweiss.
    SCRATCH THAT!

The votes FLIPPED and Underwood is WINNING.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/polit...paq-story.html

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    Myself and everyone I know who voted for Biden only did it as a vote against Trump. The dude is a bad fucking candidate offering nothing inspiring who only got the nomination after every other moderate dropped and endorsed him before Super Tuesday to stop Bernie Sanders from having a chance. He was pretty much considered a laughing stock all last year during the lead up to the primaries. The dude is considering John fucking Kasich for a cabinet slot. It shouldn’t shock anyone that a lot of people didn’t feel like voting for him.
    If a historically incompetent & hated monster like Trump wasn't on the ballot, I think Biden would have gotten embarrassed. Or better yet, I think even Trump would have beaten him easily w/o Covid, as shitty a thought as that is. You have two angles when you're a Dem candidate for president: be overwhelmingly likable and charismatic a la Obama & Bill, or YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO OFFER THE VOTERS SOMETHING. Hillary & Biden weren't giving the voters much to be excited about policy-wise, and alot of Biden's popular stances (like $15 minimum wage, perhaps reinstating Glass-Steagal, how robust his recovery package would be, etc) are basically buried on his campaign page and he doesn't talk about them much. All because corporate Dems are afraid of their own shadow. Make your case!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Stacey Abrams. That’s who we need to give all of this credit to if Georgia holds. I donated to Fair Fight whenever I could and she is the person the Dems need to turn this party in the right direction. Schumer wanted her in one of the Georgia senate races and she turned him down because she said she does better as an executive. Leader energy.
    How has her NOT running for Senate there worked out? She couldn't walk & chew gum at the same time? If she ran for the seat AND oversaw Fair Fight, she clearly would have eked out the win & we wouldn't have to have two of these clusterfuck runoffs. The woman oozes charisma, is so likable & clearly has her finger on the pulse of changing electorate. Her name recognition down there is through the roof now bc of the last race that was stolen from her. I think she would have won comfortably based on how Georgia is clearly turning purple.

She's a mixed bag. She's a bit of a chameleon with some of her policy stances, she cavorted with Bloomberg who needs to now go away forever, and the many months long public groveling for the VP pick was a bad look imo. As far as a candidate that actually connected with voters, she's everything Kamala wishes she could be (and what we all assumed Kamala would be in the primaries, to be fair). Cackling like a crazy person with that fake laugh & wearing Tims isn't gonna cut it in 2024 for Kamala.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    how the fuck did susan collins win?
    When Dems run Republican Lite, it usually doesn't go well. Stand for something, set yourself apart from the opposition. Why pick Republican Lite when a perfectly good (read: evil) Republican is available too?

This race was also a bad first go-round for ranked choice voting in Maine. I and many others thought for sure that would cinch it for ::insert generic corporate Dem lady that was running in Maine::, but clearly not. It wasn't even close, just like SC & KY. Hundreds of millions of dollars wasted on races that were called within minutes of the polls closing. At Least Jamie Harrison was a somewhat compelling candidate. Maimy "Carpet Bomb" Mcgrath is an absolutely terrible politician with the instincts of a houseplant and as such, doomed from the start. Charles Booker would have at least made it interesting. Think about how much better spent that money cold have been spent, perhaps for Tillis in NC, Kara Eastman in Nebraska or some of the other House seats that the Dems should not have lost.

Whats worse is you'd think this would mean Schumer and Pelosi would be gone. I mean, this is literally their fault. It's their job to do better in these races, and with the Senate picks especially, Schumer is even more directly responsible. But all signs point that everyone in Dem leadership will maintain their titles next year. With no fresh blood or fresh ideas at the top, the Dems will continue to almost universally suck.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    Look. I'm not surprised that, even now, there are people who think Sanders would have fared worse than Biden's (electorally) anemic performance. I mean, when I look at the fact that Florida rejected Biden while approving a $15 minimum wage by over twenty points, and the fact that Biden is absolutely hemorrhaging the Latino support that Sanders' campaign consistently showed (don't tell the people who thought Biden winning South Carolina, a red state with no chance of being won by a Democrat in a presidential election, meant that "people of color have spoken"), I have a hard time understanding it. But conventional notions of electability are hard to shake.

But if there's any one thing that should be beyond fucking dispute right now, it's that all this "going too far left scares people, hew to the center, appeal to Never Trump Republicans" rhetoric was, and is, garbage. The Lincoln Project was a scam, and all their over-financed overtures and self-congratulatory media dumps amounted to absolutely nothing. Anyone who gave them money, or thought the Democrats had better chances kissing up to Republicans than genuinely embracing leftist reform, got played.

The "Never Trump Republican", the "decent Republican", they don't fucking exist, at least not to an extent that they represent a voting bloc worth appealing to. A "Never Trump Republican" is an image sensitive right-winger who is totally comfortable with Trump's agenda (aka the thing that is actually horrific about his presidency) but uncomfortable with Trump's crass immaturity and the idea of being called a racist. Anyone who acted like the support of this political persuasion was crucial and dangerously undermined by a "too left" candidate was unintentionally clueless or intentionally deceptive, the latter being the case for many Democratic officials who are committed to the party's stagnation. If the Democratic party means to have any meaningful future, it will follow where the Squad leads.

Biden still has a shot. But it shouldn't be nearly this close. We Americans should all feel a great shame for that. And so should the Democratic Party.
    voice of sanity. I too will espouse this PoV for large national races until someone actually runs a true leftist campaign & gets the shellacking that the establishment cheerleaders on here and everywhere else SWEEEAARRRRS we would get. Well, trying to appeal to the these LCD mouth breathers on the right will never work, so how about we go & try excite a plurality of roughly 90 million eligible voters that still stayed home? If THIS election couldn't be the one where a corporate Dem didn't run away with it with their message of bi-partisanship and moderation, well then when exactly will there be one? Biden had everything on his side & still almost blew it.

The vast majority of that 90 million group lean overwhelming left, they just refuse to vote for what's being offered to them.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

There were two or three people in the WA election who were similarly represented: No bio, no picture, nothing but a blank page with "no info submitted" on it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Per a LOT of online data being shared, something really fishy happened in Kentucky. McGrath shouldn't have conceded.

Ditto for Florida. Word is that of the new 200,000 registered voters in Miami-Dade, 100% of them went to Trump. Wtf.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-12-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    How has her NOT running for Senate there worked out? She couldn't walk & chew gum at the same time? If she ran for the seat AND oversaw Fair Fight, she clearly would have eked out the win & we wouldn't have to have two of these clusterfuck runoffs. The woman oozes charisma, is so likable & clearly has her finger on the pulse of changing electorate. Her name recognition down there is through the roof now bc of the last race that was stolen from her. I think she would have won comfortably based on how Georgia is clearly turning purple.
    Yeah, so, again, she told Schumer that she does better as an executive, which is not what a Senator is. A governor or a president is, and the word is that she's eyeing a run again in GA in 2022. She knows her worth and her skillset and that's leader energy.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    She's a mixed bag. She's a bit of a chameleon with some of her policy stances, she cavorted with Bloomberg who needs to now go away forever, and the many months long public groveling for the VP pick was a bad look imo. As far as a candidate that actually connected with voters, she's everything Kamala wishes she could be (and what we all assumed Kamala would be in the primaries, to be fair). Cackling like a crazy person with that fake laugh & wearing Tims isn't gonna cut it in 2024 for Kamala.

... until Citizens United is overturned, I will take all of Bloomberg's money as long as there's a fundamental understanding that his views can stay home. Also, what's up with the microaggressive hit on Kamala? What does she have to do with Stacey other than her skin color? Weird transition, kind of concerning.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Yeah, so, again, she told Schumer that she does better as an executive, which is not what a Senator is. A governor or a president is, and the word is that she's eyeing a run again in GA in 2022. She knows her worth and her skillset and that's leader energy.

... until Citizens United is overturned, I will take all of Bloomberg's money as long as there's a fundamental understanding that his views can stay home. Also, what's up with the microaggressive hit on Kamala? What does she have to do with Stacey other than her skin color? Weird transition, kind of concerning.[/COLOR]
    I was tying them together as they were both the most realistic finalists for the VP pick, and Kamala was seen as the favorite for the prez nomination prior to her crashing & burning in the primaries. The donor class started cozying up to her as soon as Hillary lost, and she SEEMED like a very charismatic and likable candidate that the primary electorate would really like. But that wasn't the case, whereas imo Abrams embodies all those characteristics and is much more relatable by regular folk. She actually inspires people when she speaks, whereas Harris clearly doesn't at the same level.

As far as you casually hinting that I'm racist bc I'm discussing two people of color on this topic, that's shitty of you, and incorrect and baseless. I can't stand Harris bc of shit like this:

https://www.indy100.com/article/kama...t-bump-9725449

not b/c she's a woman of color. Honestly, the identity politics around her are the only thing I like about her other than where she is on environmental issues. Same goes for Hillary...the only positive I saw to her becoming prez was that we'd finally have a woman in office (and not Trump, obvi)! And a woman that, despite her terrible stances on almost every other issue, would be a fierce proponent of women's issues and rights while in office.

Feel better now that you forced me to be defensive?

As far as her skillset being better in an executive role, I'm sure it is. But ya know...the greater good and all. Help us out...there's not alot of younger "stars" in the party that are ready for bigger office yet, and she is the brightest, and could appeal to all sides of the party. This past election was for all the marbles, and she would have won that seat in Georgia. I have the same anger towards Beto fwiw. He should have ran against Cornyn, and prolly would have won, and maybe could have flipped Texas. That prez run ruined all the good will and momentum he had built. Now he's done. Great job idiot.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    In new lawsuit, Texas contests election results in Georgia, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania
    Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to block the battleground states from casting "unlawful and constitutionally tainted votes" in the Electoral College. There is no evidence of widespread voter fraud, experts say.
    Jesus. At what point do the courts just get tired of this shit?

And is all of this just to see who can get to the Supreme Court because all of the other cases are failing to do so?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's a classic Trump move. Fling lawsuits around and see what sticks. There's probably aides right now who haven't slept in weeks trying to find every single legal loophole at their disposal. In the words of our 45th president...SAD!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Now, this is a knee slapper... New what?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Anybody else amused by the fact that their own logo is 90% blue, but is being controlled by its "shit for brains" red ass?
    lol, that's hilarious.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'm so fucking sick of right-wing nutjobs holding this country hostage.