Page 105 of 128 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 3812

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcpunk View Post
    I stayed up all night just to watch this. I can’t wait for politics to be boring again.
    Same. Gonna hate myself in 5 hours, but it feels good to have this behind us and know Biden is confirmed.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcpunk View Post
    I stayed up all night just to watch this. I can’t wait for politics to be boring again.
    I think the last five years plus the fifteen year build-up to this proves that politics can never be boring again. Boring is what got us here. It is going to be a constant effort to remove the people in government who want to blow it up from the inside on top of fending off the people who want to blow it up from the outside.

Politics can never again be that blasé thing that you think about every four years when it's time to vote for President. Every vote counts, and every race counts. Get involved. I told my wife this morning that I'm going to be calling and emailing my reps every day about issues that I feel they should care about more, and I hope that all of you - or at least most of you - can see why that's important and feel strongly enough to do the same. Or at least something similar, even if it's a form letter that someone else has already put together and you're just signing your name to it.

This is important, more important than it's ever been. I'm not about to run for office - crowds of people? fuck right off - but I'm going to do the best I can to make sure I know what's going on locally and find a way to support it or fight it, whichever is appropriate.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

that poor dear, cancel culture claims another one.

/s, bee-tee-dubs.

edit: also, just because I found out about this, I think that getting "Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas" nominated might rank slightly above the election of that twit.
    Last edited by allegate; 01-07-2021 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The sad thing is that we were just starting to celebrate future Sen. Warnock (a black guy) and future Sen. Ossoff (a Jewish guy) and their win in the deep south, but it was all overshadowed by these traitorous fuckwits thinking it's "1776."

It's like that Moonlight thing at the Oscars.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The sad thing is that we were just starting to celebrate future Sen. Warnock (a black guy) and future Sen. Ossoff (a Jewish guy) and their win in the deep south, but it was all overshadowed by these traitorous fuckwits thinking it's "1776."

It's like that Moonlight thing at the Oscars.
    agreed. yesterday felt soooo good and then the capital riot happened. it really deflated my energy. i want to be excited but i am still concerned what he next few weeks will bring. supposedly pence is against the 25th. which is just dumb imo. pence, use your spine!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    yeah I was listening to someone talk about how "Pence looked like he was pissed off last night!" in the voting under the cover of darkness and I was like...what, did he furrow his brow a little bit more? Dude is a walking botox advertisement for invertebrates at this point

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    saw a great response to that:
    MollyJongFast
    I don’t think Sidney Powell has 1.3 bil

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    agreed. yesterday felt soooo good and then the capital riot happened. it really deflated my energy. i want to be excited but i am still concerned what he next few weeks will bring. supposedly pence is against the 25th. which is just dumb imo. pence, use your spine!!!
    I think he’s afraid that it will put his and all the other cabinet members’ lives in further danger, especially since the Trump cult will then expect Pence to pardon Trump and I don’t see Pence doing that; not after people DIED.

Also, note that even if they DO invoke the 25th, Trump can simply submit his objection to it in writing and then he’s right back in office; then it has to go to Congress, and a majority of Congress has to decide. And McConnell has called a Senate recess until January 19th.

Did you see those maniacs in the airport going after Lindsey Graham?

Everyone is afraid of the Trump Q Cult right now; it’s uncontrolled and dangerous.

KKKelly did do a nice concession to Warnock, so there’s that.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-09-2021 at 04:32 PM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    This guy is impressive but it is Arkansas so who knows? I’d love to see Huckabee Sanders lose.

https://twitter.com/jonesforar/statu...667957778?s=21

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    My knee-jerk reaction is no way.
    But it would warm my cold, dead heart if he won.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Anti-government activist Ammon Bundy running for governor in Idaho

this mother fucker right here...what a self-serving ass.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Anti-government activist Ammon Bundy running for governor in Idaho

this mother fucker right here...what a self-serving ass.
    gross!! why would he want that job? you have to serve people. the anti-government governor? i don’t get it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    he's doing the Trump thing: superiorly-unqualified person who doesn't actually want the job. He's going to get it (because Idaho) and realize the same thing Trump did: government exists whether you want it to or not and is a very large beast. Maybe not as large in Idaho, but still.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Illinois, people. I am never leaving.

Note that abortion is also legal here per our state constitution, and will remain so even if some horrific thing happens like Roe being overturned.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Maricopa's back in the news. It's a heck of a read.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm starting to get scared that Trump will win the Republican nomination in 2024 and win in November. It could happen.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I'm starting to get scared that Trump will win the Republican nomination in 2024 and win in November. It could happen.
    If Biden runs again, he has no shot. If it's Kamala Harris....whew boy. Thats a tough call.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    bad feeling the R's gain ground in 22 leading to a full on shit show for 24.

This country is in serious trouble.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'd agree with you, but things like this are now starting to happen that make it unlikely:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/florid...gin-of-victory

EDIT: Yeah, I know, it's a shitty way to look at it, and I'm not cheering for death or anything, but covid killing republican voters might somehow save the rest of the country from them.

I'm not saying the method is right, I'm not arguing that it's something we should cheer for, I'm just saying that it looks like something that could very realistically happen.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I definitely don't think it's out of the question. I think a lot of people, myself included, thought the Trumpinian line of thinking in Conservatives would die out, but it's just gotten worse. He has no social media access and is still reshaping the Republican party, and it looks like he might be successful. I did see that GW Bush is going to fundraise for Liz Cheney, but it might be too little, too late for the "old" Republican Party of Reagan, Bush, McConnell, and the like.....

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    I'd agree with you, but things like this are now starting to happen that make it unlikely:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/florid...gin-of-victory

EDIT: Yeah, I know, it's a shitty way to look at it, and I'm not cheering for death or anything, but covid killing republican voters might somehow save the rest of the country from them.

I'm not saying the method is right, I'm not arguing that it's something we should cheer for, I'm just saying that it looks like something that could very realistically happen.
    You know how Republicans claim thousands of dead people vote in every election? I hope that people are watching this death toll and the voting numbers very closely.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    bad feeling the R's gain ground in 22 leading to a full on shit show for 24.

This country is in serious trouble.
    Yup. We're ABSOLUTELY losing the house in 22.

Biden's poll numbers are currently abysmal: I mean, look at the latest Iowa poll. He's at like a 31% approval rating. This means that many democrats and left of center people are unhappy with his leadership, and, tbh, I'm one of them. I'm not horrified and disgusted every day like I was with Trump, but this administration certainly isn't great. I hate to say it, but it's true.

Whatever the fuck they want to get done, they better get after it now, because, barring a new Pearl Harbor/ 911 type of event, we're losing congress next year.

And with all of these voter suppression laws falling into place, it's gonna be Trump 2024.

We may wind up seeking political asylum if things continue in this direction. @thelastdisciple you guys don't have a spare room, do you?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Meh, I don’t trust polls. At all.

There was an ATTEMPTED INSURRECTION on January 6th. I seriously don’t think people forgot that, or will forget it by midterms.

There is MORE evidence coming out that Trump attempted a coup. And more will be arriving between now and then.

Sinema and Manchin are corporate whores who are holding up everything.

The Hyde Amendment isn’t in the BBB bill. Manchin is saying that if it’s not in there, it’s dead for him.

How nice for him, a fucking DUDE who’ll never be poor and need an abortion.

Watch this to see what a piece a crap Sinema is:

Progressive Democrats in the House are saying they’ll vote NO if the BBB bill is neutered and doesn’t have the full $3.5 trillion in provisions, since that’s already a concession.

AND I DO NOT BLAME THEM. FUCK MANCHIN AND SINEMA. ACCEPT NO LESS!!
    Last edited by allegro; 10-02-2021 at 10:57 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I watched this then burst into tears. Cori Bush is so brave and honest and powerful. She should be President.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @allegro these people don't give a fuck about evidence, and they're PISSED.

Meanwhile, democrats are complacent and think the Trump phenomenon is a thing of the past.

So, who has the momentum?

The left needs to start making noise about the midterms NOW. We've got an EXTREMELY narrow majority in the house.

Mark Chicken Little's words: we're on the road to minority rule.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @allegro these people don't give a fuck about evidence, and they're PISSED.

Meanwhile, democrats are complacent and think the Trump phenomenon is a thing of the past.

So, who has the momentum?

The left needs to start making noise about the midterms NOW. We've got an EXTREMELY narrow majority in the house.
    WHO is complacent? WHERE?

You live in the middle of a sea of red. YOUR STATE just BANNED abortion. Women have to go OUT OF STATE to get an abortion. YOUR STATE has been THE number one driver behind overturning Roe. Now OTHER states are doing the same, harming more girls and women. Shame on Texas. Shame on anyone in Texas who isn’t out there actively trying to CHANGE Texas.

Democrats have been pushing TWO voters’ right bills to SAVE our Republic.

Today we saw Women’s March across the country.

There’s currently a COMMITTEE in the House investigating January 6th. TRUMP people are pissed? That’s rich, because there are nearly 90 MILLION who are EVEN MORE PISSED.

Black people who are brutalized by police and losing voting rights. Women who are losing the rights to their own bodies. Brown people who are marginalized. White people who don’t want to live in an autocracy.

I don’t see any complacency anywhere on the left.

Start paying more attention.

The GOP in California orchestrated a Governor recall; the media ate it up, warning of Dem voter complacency, disinterest, etc.

The end result was an annihilation. Newsom got more votes than he got when he was elected,

The only way that the GOP can win is by CHEATING. Rigged voting laws, decreased polling stations, etc.

Beto is running for Governor in Texas. The guy has literally been spending two years knocking on doors registering young Texans to vote.

And you are on a message board, warning of doom and gloom from your bed. Dude, we’re really close friends. And I know you know better than this. You’re smarter than this.

If you don’t like what you see or the direction things are going, GO OUT AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Because YOU are at GROUND ZERO of the location WHY this country is so fucked up. Get your ass up and go make a change, like others are doing.

I’ll HELP YOU!!!

My Senators? One is an Asian-American female vet who got both her legs blown off in Iraq. The other is Dick Durban (who got me tickets to the White House when I asked, LOL). I live in a state where the right to have an abortion is LAW. Chicago minimum wage is $15/hour. As of 2021, minimum wage is $11 an hour in Illinois for standard workers, $6.60 an hour for tipped workers, and $8.50 an hour for workers under the age of 18 who work less than 650 hours per calendar year. And Election Day is a HOLIDAY.

There isn’t any complacency, here. We work hard for these rights.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-02-2021 at 10:18 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The only way that the GOP can win is by CHEATING. Rigged voting laws, decreased polling stations, etc.

Or by convincing those whose rights they're taking away, that the democrats are just as bad and that burning the country to the ground is the only way to have meaningful change. That's why a lot of them voted for Trump in the first place.

They felt so disenfranchised that they wanted to see the country burned down, and they've definitely made it a very real possibility.