Page 2 of 128 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    So it's Palpatine/Vader 2020, is what you're saying. "For the duration of the emergency".

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    warren releases her DNA. tells trump release your returns. god the guy is a bafoon the 60 minutes interview was a train wreck the only positive from his time in office is the SNL skits are funnier
    -louie

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I really don't think the DNA report helps her any. Having one person somewhere in your tree that was Native American doesn't make you Native American, or give you special rights and privileges thereof. Like, if i checked my DNA and found someone of African descent in my tree, it doesn't make me black. I'm not saying she shouldn't or can't be proud of her ancestors, but she should probably not claim to be Native American herself.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    warren releases her DNA. tells trump release your returns. god the guy is a bafoon the 60 minutes interview was a train wreck the only positive from his time in office is the SNL skits are funnier
    -louie
    @Demogorgon - I went ahead and moved this to the 2020 thread because this is totally an obvious sign that Warren is running for president.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    So, in today's news, a Washington Post journalist was kidnapped in Turkey and taken to the Saudi Arabian embassy where he was tortured to death. He managed to record evidence of his own murder on his smart watch, which the Turkish government was able to obtain, along with video of his murder, which they announce to the US government. SA then released a statement threatening retaliation against America if there are any consequences to the murder. Trump tweeted this morning that he has spoken to the president of SA who told him that they were not involved in the murder. Trump then suggested that the killers were "rogue" and unrelated to the SA government.

Background information on Saudi Arabia: they were the ones behind the 9/11 attacks, they trained and funded Al-Qaeda, and trained and funded ISIS. They are also on the receiving end of the largest arms deal in human history, made with Trump's administration last year and still ongoing. The reporter they murdered had been previously banned from SA for criticizing Trump.

All of that said, the important news of the day on all the news stations is that Elizabeth Warren has native American heritage and Trump is refusing to donate the money he promised to women's shelters. That's the important thing.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Kamala Harris is my horse in the race right now, I think based on a hollistic "stands for everything Trump stands against" and also because of the way she talks about income inequality. She's not Bernie, she's not Hilary, she doesn't come with any of the baggage held by either.

Warren was dumb to do what she did, to assume that GoP especially Trump plays by any rules, will honor any commitment... Any time you do anything on their terms, have their argument, use their vocabulary, have the conversation they ask you to have, you're fucking up, and she should know better.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I think Warren has demonstrated she doesn't really have the grit or stamina to get into this dirty fight: I feel she has pulled a "Hillary" - capitulate to Trump's bullying whilst still trying to seem tough - and failing.
    I agree about Harris - I think her past as a "cop" (progressives hate her carceral prosecutor record) - is her ace in the hole. I think if she plays her cards right she can appeal to the BLM crowd and the "law and order" crowd. She's badass. Warren is not.
    Not really a fan of Corey Booker running - I think his reputation as a career politician in the hands of lobbyists will hurt him.
    I'd love a Kamala Harris/Chris Murphy ticket.

Joe Biden vs Trump means four more years of Trump, no question about it. Any Democrat who has been in the WH or ran for president before should be disqualified. Hillary should never have ran in 2016: she already lost her primary in 2008, she should have taken the hint. Her ego has had catastrophic consequences.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm voting for Warren next month for another term in the Senate and I like her, but I'd rather her not run for President. I see a 2016 redux.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Hillary was hated all over the country by people of all stripes. She won the popular vote nonetheless by 3 million votes, and only lost the 3 swing states she didn't campaign nearly enough in by 70-something thousand votes combined. That's it. Warren is much, much more popular...many more people absolutely hate Trump now...and MANY more people will be energized to vote against him than the record low depressed vote of 2016. As long as she actually campaigns & excites people in the swing states she needs to, she will win handily against the pig, don't worry.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    don't worry.
    I've heard that before.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    I've heard that before.
    If her campaign (or whoever the candidate is) makes the same mistakes and is unlikeable to the vast majority of people like Hillary was, then yes...worry. Worry alot. But as long as someone who actually excites lefty voters is picked, and that person puts in the work, they will win. The numbers are not there for a Trump re-election if those things are done.

The other thing is to monitor and try to eliminate as much of the right wing's voter suppression and polling place/voting machine fuckery after the fact. That is another thing that will come into play. Are the Dems strong enough to counteract? That remains to be seen.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i think warren would do well there are some young that are getting involved Alexandra has some good interesting approaches like the new green deal. i think the youth are well informed
    -louie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    DONALD TRUMP WILL 'CASH OUT' AND WON'T RUN IN 2020, JOE SCARBOROUGH PREDICTS
    https://www.newsweek.com/joe-scarbor...n-2020-1179907

Extremely unlikely. Trump's ego is waaaay too big for him to step down on his own.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I love Elizabeth Warren and would definitely vote for her if she does a 2020 run, but I'll be extremely disappointed if she doesn't meet with the Cherokee Nation or at least do something to address the legitimate grievances about blood quantum/DNA "purity" as a topic among Native Americans and the damage it causes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That whole Native American thing is my only real issue with Warren as a candidate, as Fox News and the GOP have been giving her endless flak over it. A bunch of racist idiots believing that they have any say in who counts as a Native American will likely help the GOP, in addition to any other "scandal" involving any Democrat. If the right actually cared about any of Trump's scandals, it would be highly unlikely that he would be anywhere near the White House.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Warren never claimed to be a member of a Native American tribe, she clarified this. The solipsistic objection from the Cherokee rep is coming at the issue singularly concerned about tribal sovereignty, not the larger point which is a response to the racist Pocahontas jab. Trump owes her charity choice money, and anyone who wants to go anywhere else with this issue can fuuuuuuuuuck off right now

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Nicholas View Post
    Extremely unlikely. Trump's ego is waaaay too big for him to step down on his own.
    We need to convince him he needs to step down to be eligible for the Greatest World Emperor With Big Hands, Lots of Money, And Other Good Stuff Election which is happening in February 2021.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    the amount of dirty lawless tricks the republicans are pulling is mind numbing between voter roll purges gerrymandering and of course kav makes his first decision get which side he sided on? we have a president that lost the popular vote. democracy you were nice while you lasted. next stop revolution
    -louie

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Alright - here's my top 5 along with my super way too early pick to go up against Trump. I am not beholden to this list and can change it any time I want to.

1. Kamala Harris
    2. Joe Biden
    3. Elizabeth Warren
    4. Eric Holder
    5. Beto O'Rourke

For me, Kamala is the female Barack Obama. People will cite her inexperience or her lack of time in national politics after her AG stints throughout California. I love her and want her to A) run and B) lead her ticket. She has to defend her criminal justice history, but I don't think this will harm her in the long run. She would shrink Trump to nothing. I will get behind Joe Biden as well because even though people REALLY feel strongly about him one way or the other, I do think that he could be approaching this field with a mentor's approach and would declare his intention to almost raise the level and quality of his primary opponents.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Eric Holder lol

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Biden will be 77 on election day. Hard pass. I love him to death, but this is a job unlike any in the world when it comes to stresses, and I legitimately worry about electing someone that old.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Eric Holder lol
    He's been working on voting rights since he left the AG's office and was also responsible for reducing the sentences for thousands of non-violent offenders. He's been positioning himself for a run for over a year and has a lot of knowledge around the inner workings of politics and law enforcement that could send him rocketing upward quickly. I wouldn't laugh him off this early.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Biden will be 77 on election day. Hard pass. I love him to death, but this is a job unlike any in the world when it comes to stresses, and I legitimately worry about electing someone that old.
    Joe could challenge you to a fist fight if someone hits him with the "too old" argument. He's been visiting early caucus states and putting out feelers. Of the overall potential field, he has the white house experience and the knowledge of working in Washington DC while also retaining simple American values. It'd be hard to discount him, even with his age as a factor.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    He takes that big pharma money, but I think I’d put Cory Booker on the list even still.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    He takes that big pharma money, but I think I’d put Cory Booker on the list even still.
    I'm keeping him off of my list right now because A) liberals like to shit on Cory from time to time and B) I secretly think he becomes the best VP candidate available for any of the other 5 I've added when it's all said and done.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Nate Silver started looking at 2020 after 2018's map looks similar to 2012's map.

I will not be excited about this yet. I also know that even if conditions still stay the same, a LOT of work is going to have to go into statewide races as well to continue the grassroots growth by Dems... but this is still VERY encouraging.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Beto for the win, although it would have been a lot more cooler if he'd won the Senate race.
    Maybe Beto 2024 if trump stays.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    1a. Beto
    1b. Kamala

After Beto lost the other night, I've been in a fuck it, lets go all the way in 2020. But at the same time, Beto could also try to run against Cornyn for his senate seat in 2020. I've never been so excited for a campaign ever, so it's hard for me to jump off the wagon now. But I would be perfectly happy with Kamala Harris.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    a ticket w/ Beto and Kamala Harris would be amazing, and if that ticket fails to Trump in 2020, we can empirically prove that there is no god.