Page 112 of 128 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 3812

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    In 1964, incumbent LBJ was up against ultra conservative Barry Goldwater of Arizona.

See this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964...ntial_election

Johnson’s campaign ran this famous “Daisy” ad:

Johnson championed his passage of the Civil Rights Act, and advocated a series of anti-poverty programs collectively known as the Great Society. Goldwater espoused a low-tax, small-government philosophy. Although he supported previous attempts to pass civil rights legislation in 1957 and 1960, as well as the 24th Amendment outlawing the poll tax, Goldwater reluctantly opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as he felt that Title II violated individual liberty and states' rights. Democrats successfully portrayed Goldwater as a dangerous extremist, most famously in the "Daisy" television advertisement. The Republicans were divided between its moderate and conservative factions, with Rockefeller and other moderate party leaders refusing to campaign for Goldwater. Johnson led by wide margins in all opinion polls conducted during the campaign, although his lead continued to dwindle throughout.

Johnson carried 44 states and the District of Columbia, which voted for the first time in this election. Goldwater won his home state and swept the states of the Deep South, most of which had not voted for a Republican presidential candidate since the end of Reconstruction in 1877. This was the last time that the Democratic Party won the white vote, although they came close in 1992. This was the first-ever and only election before 1992 in which the Democrats carried Vermont, and the first election since 1912 in which the Democrats carried Maine. Conversely, it was also the first-ever election in which the Republicans carried Georgia.

This was the last election in which the Democratic nominee carried Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska,[a] Kansas, or Oklahoma, and the only election ever in which the Democrat carried Alaska. As such, this was the most recent presidential election in which the entire Midwestern region voted Democratic. Iowa and Oregon would not vote Democratic again until 1988, California, Colorado, Illinois, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, and Vermont would not vote Democratic again until 1992, while Indiana and Virginia would not vote Democratic again until 2008. As of 2022, this marks the last time that a Democratic presidential candidate has won more than 400 electoral votes.
    The Great Society created:

* Social Security Amendments of 1965, which introduced: Medicare and Medicaid
    * The Food Stamp Act of 1964
    * The Federal Student Loan Program (Higher Education Act of 1965)
    * Head Start
    * Job Corp
    * Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act of 1965
    * Endangered Species Preservation Act of 1966
    * Clean Air Act of 1963
    * Land and Water Conservation Fund Act of 1965 (later rolled into the Clean Air Act)
    * National Historic Preservation Act of 1966
    * National Trails System of 1968
    * The Child Safety Act of 1966
    * National Endowments for the arts and the humanities
    * Public Broadcasting Act of 1967
    * John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
    Last edited by allegro; 08-06-2022 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I didn’t / don’t like Dick Cheney.

At all.

But Dick and Liz Cheney and Adam Kinziger were THE ONLY REPUBLICANS at the House commemoration of the one year anniversary of the Capitol attack and the moment of silence for the police who were killed.

Here’s Dick Cheney’s ad for his daughter’s campaign, and he doesn’t hold back:

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    if you look at Dick Cheney, noted "shoot a motherfucker in the face and make him apologize" kind of guy, and think he's just not Republican enough then you're the ones who are no longer Republicans and have gone through the looking glass.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    FBI just raided Mar-A-Lago!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    FBI just raided Mar-A-Lago!
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/08/polit...ump/index.html

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    don'tgetexciteddon'tgetexciteddon'tgetexciteddon't getexciteddon'tgetexcited...

squee!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I don't have a shocked face that accurately conveys what this moving image has done to my brain.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    This US code was brought up on David Pakman's stream
    18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally

(a) Whoever willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, or destroys, or attempts to do so, or, with intent to do so takes and carries away any record, proceeding, map, book, paper, document, or other thing, filed or deposited with any clerk or officer of any court of the United States, or in any public office, or with any judicial or public officer of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

(b) Whoever, having the custody of any such record, proceeding, map, book, document, paper, or other thing, willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, falsifies, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both; and shall forfeit his office and be disqualified from holding any office under the United States. As used in this subsection, the term “office” does not include the office held by any person as a retired officer of the Armed Forces of the United States.
    oh man, don't threaten me with a good time.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I was watching the Pakman stream last night too. Good times.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    oh man, don't threaten me with a good time.
    More than a few heads are skeptical about that specific federal code being the crux of the raid, instead inferring the potential offense(s) is / are more serious. Basically, it's a high risk / low reward prosecution for merely mishandling federal records, almost certainly not worth the public spectacle of raiding a former president. HOWEVER, and I'm just spitballin here, selling or otherwise sharing said records...

IF that's the meat of the investigation....whoa mama.

It's hard not to be optimistic here knowing the hurdles cleared to even get this approved by the AG and then an independent fed magistrate. But also <lucy charlie football dot gif>

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

This is what they're going with less than 24 hours after a raid. Now I'm no lawyer / former OAN host but for the life of me can't think of a reason why you'd suggest something was planted besides you are sure the feds found exactly what they were looking for, which...seems less than ideal for her client.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The former Trump staff knows what was to be turned over to the N.A. at the end of the Trump Presidency. They log EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING.

The head of the Dept. of Counterintelligence and Export Control office of the Dept. of Justice went to MAL last spring.

https://www.justice.gov/nsd/national...nization-chart

It’s likely that the FBI search (yesterday) is related to something that is in Trump’s possession that is SO sensitive and SO important that Garland had to get Christopher Wray (Trump-appointed) involved without tipping off Trump (so that Trump wouldn’t hide it etc.) and got the warrant signed by a judge (also Trump-appointed) based on that urgency, importance, sensitivity, national security, etc.

Remember that any document that was in the White House during the Trump administration did not and does not belong to Trump; he had NO authority to remove ANY documents. Not even his own notes.

The safe, btw, was reportedly new, and empty, per FBI people.

Any document that is located - that they were looking for - would match the list that the N.A. has of missing sensitive documents, which would be ridiculous to “plant” when the Trump team has ADMITTED “ur, we don’t know where that stuff is” but didn’t deny having it.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-09-2022 at 09:38 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Joe Arpaio loses 3rd comeback bid in town mayoral race

Is there a reason these evil old fucks are still banging around? Shouldn't their hearts have burst by now?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Joe Arpaio loses 3rd comeback bid in town mayoral race

Is there a reason these evil old fucks are still banging around? Shouldn't their hearts have burst by now?
    At least he didn't win.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    The "DOJ SHOULD RELEASE THE WARRANT" people are awfully quiet right about now. Savvy play. Your move, Donald.

One thing of note in the request to unseal: it's signed by Jay Bratt Chief of Counterintelligence & Export Control. https://www.justice.gov/nsd/sections-offices

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    to add to that: you cannot just say "I hereby declassify these" after the fact. or take them in the first place for that matter.

edit: Scott Adams has lost his ever-loving mind, yeah?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Says the DOJ has filed to unseal the warrant and property receipts for the raid and that he (Garland) personally asked for the search warrant, something “not taken lightly.” Now it's up to Trump's team to potentially oppose unsealing it
    Something I read the other day that was interesting: The reason for the sudden flurry of movement is that Alex Jones' phone became compromised and just like that everyone who had ever talked to him became compromised and would begin deleting everything toot suite. So, bam, raids and other phone confiscations.

edit: something something Merrick Garland is taking too long...?
    Last edited by allegate; 08-11-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Honestly, his best move is probably to object, then leak it and demand to know who leaked it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    WaPo breaking news:

FBI searched Trump’s home to look for nuclear documents and other items, sources say

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I hope this leads to something.

He needs to be taken down and locked up. At the very least, not allowed to run again.

I do fear the backlash though. The guy in Ohio's FBI building was just the start. I'm glad he's dead but still.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    WaPo breaking news:
    holy shit. I saw some chatter about "stuff so top secret we (the public) can't be told about it" but this...wow.

Edit: more from Reddit
    And this clearly wasn’t the thing that’s so classified they can’t even vaguely describe it because even it’s category of classification is classified.

There’s something worse than this.

He clearly didn’t take this stuff as mementos, as some have said. He either tried to or actually did sell top-level security secrets to someone.
    Doing this on mobile is difficult.
    Last edited by allegate; 08-11-2022 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    We’re getting into >actual< treason territory here.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    WaPo breaking news:
    Quoted from Reddit:
    There was something about our nuclear capabilities that Trump always wanted to publicly brag about, but obviously couldn't. From one of Bob Woodward's books:

In the midst of reflecting upon how close the United States had come in 2017 to war with North Korea, Trump revealed: "I have built a nuclear — a weapons system that nobody's ever had in this country before. We have stuff that you haven't even seen or heard about. We have stuff that Putin and Xi have never heard about before. There's nobody — what we have is incredible."

Woodward was able to confirm that we had built some kind of secret nuclear weapon system, but, unsurprisingly, couldn't get any details beyond that. He did note that the people he confirmed it with were very surprised that Trump had disclosed that information to Woodward. You know it eats Trump up inside that he can't - or isn't supposed to - talk about things like this, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he snagged some documents related to the program that he uses to show off to friends. He could also be selling the information to the highest bidder, who knows. Can't really rule anything out when it comes to Trump.
    Some senior Republicans have been warned by allies of Mr. Trump not to continue to be aggressive in criticizing the Justice Department and the F.B.I. over the matter because it is possible that more damaging information related to the search will become public.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/11/u...-subpoena.html
    my god.
    Last edited by allegate; 08-11-2022 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    That's why this idiot was saying that the FBI maybe wanted to "plant" stuff. All of that nuclear shit was left there by the big bad FBI to "compromise" him.

WITCH HUNT!!!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Trump received a grand jury subpoena for documents last spring, but didn’t respond.

An insider tipped off the FBI as to the location of the documents.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...d-1395849/amp/

Rumor is he wanted to sell this nuclear weapon technology to the Saudis.

Because, you know, he’s the President.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-11-2022 at 10:44 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah. Obviously I didn't think it could get any worse, but here we are. I figured some petty documents covering up some fucking abstract crime he committed here or there, probably related to January 6th. Man I write that and I'm like... We are in territory where an attack on a joint session of Congress is forgettable and easy to dismiss. My fucking god.

Any way.this goes beyond even that, right? This is nuclear war shit. There's no reason to take that kind of information from the room in which it belongs unless you are doing something nefarious with it. I can't think of anything that isnt incredibly serious. I'm blown away. And you got Kush er getting a check for $2b from MBS not 2 weeks ago.

After all this if Garland doesn't pull the goddamn trigger...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Yeah. Obviously I didn't think it could get any worse, but here we are. I figured some petty documents covering up some fucking abstract crime he committed here or there, probably related to January 6th. Man I write that and I'm like... We are in territory where an attack on a joint session of Congress is forgettable and easy to dismiss. My fucking god.

Any way.this goes beyond even that, right? This is nuclear war shit. There's no reason to take that kind of information from the room in which it belongs unless you are doing something nefarious with it. I can't think of anything that isnt incredibly serious. I'm blown away. And you got Kush er getting a check for $2b from MBS not 2 weeks ago.

After all this if Garland doesn't pull the goddamn trigger...
    Teflon Don might have found the one thing in this world that will put him behind bars. As far as Garland, this is past the point of no return. If this is as serious as the reports say it is there so no backing off. They knew this going into it.
    Last edited by cdm; 08-12-2022 at 03:13 AM.