Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Father John Misty

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Father John Misty

New album out 3/31

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Listening to Pure Comedy now. I really enjoy it!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Six spins in and I still think it's musically way too uninteresting to support its arduous lyric sheet. Honeybear was my favorite album of 2015 and "Bored in the USA" and "Holy Shit" were excellent cuts (though not my absolute favorites). But that was about as far as I'm willing to go with this quasi-ironic plain-stating thing he's doing. I'm a bleak sort of guy; I actually more or less concur with all of his appraisals of society. Nevertheless, I feel like they're sorta being presented here as somehow novel? And it's not a new form. Not at all.

In the middle of this beast one of my first few times through, I thought of a scene from the movie High Fidelity where Cusack's character breaks the fourth wall to describe Catherine Zeta-Jones' character. When she says "Children are too, what's the word? Time-consuming?" And he says "I'm not making this up. This is really how she talks. Like no one in the history of the world has ever had a discussion about children before." That's kinda the vibe I get from some of this. "Bored in the USA" was that sort of thing, what I guess I'm calling plain-stating, but done well. Very well. "Holy Shit" was almost as good. And both were musically delightful. I find the same thing on this LP to be done more often, less effectively, less interestingly, and without interesting music to sonically bolster it.

That said, I genuinely enjoy "Things That Would Have Been Helpful to Know Before the Revolution." And the sentiment behind "In Twenty Years or So" is great, although I feel like the song itself pulls a Return of the King and unnecessarily ends seventeen separate times. "The Memo" has its moments and "Pure Comedy," although I'm not exactly jamming out to it, is a masterful imitation of Kurt Vonnegut--which is awesome.

"Ballad of the Dying Man" annoyed the shit out of me at first; now I'm starting to enjoy it. "Total Entertainment Forever," however, will always be doomed for me by the Taylor Swift namedrop. I get it. I get why she specifically there (and I also give a little credence to his "justification" that "no one else rhymed with Oculus Rift"). There's a point to it. But at this temporal juncture, I'd be more interested in people making musical arguments that don't somehow embroil her.

"Leaving L.A." and "Growing Old on Magic Mountain" are both shockingly uninteresting given their bulk. And I can really get down with the long-ass song.

Overall, it's a solid three out of five for me. And it did make me go back and buy Fear Fun, which I'd never actually heard. I hope Pure Comedy will grow on me and I look forward to the next release.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Anyone else find this clown's schtick the exact opposite of clever/funny/ironic?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    you either get into it or you drown in your cynicism, thinking you're better than it.

i think this man is sexy as hell.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Album leaked super early because of Apple. :0

God's Favorite Customer

1. Hangout at the Gallows
    2. Mr. Tillman
    3. Just Dumb Enough to Try
    4. Date Night
    5. Please Don’t Die
    6. The Palace
    7. Disappointing Diamonds Are the Rarest of Them All
    8. God’s Favorite Customer
    9. The Songwriter
    10. We’re Only People (And There’s Not Much Anyone Can Do About That)
    Last edited by Amaro; 04-20-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    128 Post(s)

Father John Misty / Josh Tillman Thread

What's to say? I am surprised he doesn't have a thread on here as I'm sure there'd be a few fans on ETS. I don't think there's a Fleet Foxes thread either, anyways....

A lot know me here as the doom and gloom guy who has a huge hard on for abrasive, dark, satanic and impressionable metal but I do have a unique, softer side that spills out from time to time. A recent itch has been scratched in the background with Josh Tillman's Father John Misty alter ego: a cynical, darkly grim and satire laced character whom is often OVERLY pretentious. I don't take his behavior or appearances seriously but his lyrics are skillfully written and always accompanied by fantastic musicianship.

He had an album (God's Favorite Customer) release last month and it fits at home with his discography. I don't expect this thread to take off however I will the music speak for itself,

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    FJM is that dude. His records are fantastic and I adore the newest one a lot.

Plus, he covered Nine Inch Nails! ... so he's a-okay in my book. Still haven't had the chance to catch him live, but hopefully will someday.

Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    FJM is that dude. His records are fantastic and I adore the newest one a lot.

Plus, he covered Nine Inch Nails! ... so he's a-okay in my book. Still haven't had the chance to catch him live, but hopefully will someday.
    His Arcade Fire “The Suburbs” cover is amazing also!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    So late to the party. Just discovered this guy right before his newest record came out and absolutely love this dude.

Great musician.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I loved his last record, but the new one hasn't hit me yet. I'm hoping it will grow on me. And there was a Fleet Foxes forum on the old ETS. There used to be a lot of modern bands discussed, but it sort of disappeared when the website went down.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    There was a FJM thread before this...

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...her-John-Misty

Motion to merge!

The new album has grown on me since it leaked so early on, or at least in the way of songs individually standing out... Sometimes, at first, even good stuff can get lost in the throws of a new record that isn't totally hitting the spot for one reason or another.

The album's pacing is certainly better than Pure Comedy, which just came on too strong/memorable and left so much lull for about more than the second half. I remember one night earlier this year, after being acquainted with the record enough, after really vibing the first half--I just had to stop it. *smh*

I actually still need to experience I Love You, Honeybear proper-proper. I think I'll do that now.
    Last edited by Amaro; 07-14-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    There was a FJM thread before this...

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...her-John-Misty

Motion to merge!

The new album has grown on me since it leaked so early on, or at least in the way of songs individually standing out... Sometimes, at first, even good stuff can get lost in the throws of a new record that isn't totally hitting the spot for one reason or another.

The album's pacing is certainly better than Pure Comedy, which just came on too strong/memorable and left so much lull for about more than the second half. I remember one night earlier this year, after being acquainted with the record enough, after really vibing the first half--I just had to stop it. *smh*

I actually still need to experience I Love You, Honeybear proper-proper. I think I'll do that now.
    I bought physical copies of some of his albums yesterday finally. Iíve had digital files prior.

Not sure why I didnít find this when I searched his name. I always search threads before I make them to double check. Merge it then @Lt. Randazzo

Mentioned
    128 Post(s)