Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Waves - a dramatic musical movie (2019)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Waves is now available on Spotify and Apple Music.

I REALLY hope this OST will eventually get a physical release. To me this is by far the most obscure and unsettling soundtrack they've put out so far. I love the fact that it is so different from their previous works and every track is almost timeless, ephemeral and meticulously stretched. I've been listening to it since it came out and a few days ago I had to take a break because it's some really dark and emotionally dense stuff, to the point that it was starting to make me uncomfortable.

Can't wait to see the film.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The wide/streaming release took me by surprise! I still haven't listened because I wanna see the film first (which I *finally* am – tonight!!!!), so now my "dilemma" is should I still buy direct from nin.com? Asking because you guys said they embedded each track with individual artwork, right? If so, that rules.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    The wide/streaming release took me by surprise! I still haven't listened because I wanna see the film first (which I *finally* am – tonight!!!!), so now my "dilemma" is should I still buy direct from nin.com? Asking because you guys said they embedded each track with individual artwork, right? If so, that rules.
    Yep, and the FLAC version is also higher quality. Good stuff.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Saw the film last night. Really intense emotional experience that you should see in a theater if you can.

As mentioned previously, it's a very music heavy movie, but the score definitely takes a backseat to the use of pre-existing music. I definitely wouldn't expect an 80 minute long score if I had seen the movie first.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just got out of the theater. It’s a pretty powerful film. I agree that the score is used sparingly, but that being said it’s effective when it hits. The pre-existing music is used very well. Great movie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This really does deserve a physical release. It's fucking amazing.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I do kind of wonder if it'll get one - it feels like a little bit more care was put into this release, what with the individual track art (haven't seen that in a long time) and the wider digital release so quickly after the initial release. The description for it is a lot more glowing than, say, mid90s, which got the same digital-only treatment, too, which makes me think that they liked it a lot and might have bigger plans for it.

Also the fact that this and mid90s are the only Null releases that don't have either a physical release or a hint at one (Patriots Day).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Spoilers and whatnot...

The Annotated Waves Playlist (a24films.com)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wow. This movie floored me. Please see it.

Such a beautiful expression of how we're all touched by tragedy, loss, recovery, joy, repeat.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Just got back from this movie. It was incredible, and everyone should go see it in theaters if they can.
    Last edited by zecho; 12-07-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Just got back from this movie. It was incredible, and everyone should go see it in theaters if they can.
    Agreed. The theater sound mix pummels you in the best way – in a way that home-viewing probably won't recreate in most cases.

I'm still so impressed by the way the Pop Songs were sewn into the Sound Design were sewn into the Score, etc.

I can't help but think Waves is the full realization of what Harmony Korine was trying to do with Spring Breakers (and I say that as a huge fan of that film): seamless integration of all the above elements to create something that obviously transcends music video and simply pushes the motion picture medium forward. It's just bursting with feeling.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Agreed. The theater sound mix pummels you in the best way – in a way that home-viewing probably won't recreate in most cases.

I'm still so impressed by the way the Pop Songs were sewn into the Sound Design were sewn into the Score, etc.

I can't help but think Waves is the full realization of what Harmony Korine was trying to do with Spring Breakers (and I say that as a huge fan of that film): seamless integration of all the above elements to create something that obviously transcends music video and simply pushes the motion picture medium forward. It's just bursting with feeling.
    There's a scene in the movie where one of the score drones slowly crackles into a different song (I think a Frank Ocean song, but I can't remember), but it only crackles to life in the right speaker. Then the next scene comes into focus, and the camera is pointing out the side window of a moving car. As it slowly rotates to look in the direction the car is moving in, the song pans around the theater until it's centered. It's wild, and definitely suited for theaters.
    Last edited by zecho; 12-10-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    has anyone else noticed that several of the MP3s (downloaded directly from the nin.com links) continue past their running time without showing any further time elapsed or remaining? "everything burns" does it, along with a few others. very strange!
    Everything burns has a runtime of 1:06. When I changed the artist name tag in iTunes the sing bloats to 2:00+ minutes and, halfway through, it ends (at the 1:06 mark).

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    has anyone else noticed that several of the MP3s (downloaded directly from the nin.com links) continue past their running time without showing any further time elapsed or remaining? "everything burns" does it, along with a few others. very strange!
    huh. ios13 has been doing that with a ton of audio files lately so I figured it was just another bug in the system.

side note: it's really pissing me off because I listen to podcasts and when I skip 15/30 seconds the system has no idea what to do because ios reports one time while the app reports another and it just goes black until the two times coincide again.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    huh. ios13 has been doing that with a ton of audio files lately so I figured it was just another bug in the system.
    VBR track time has been screwy from day 1, even on programs like foobar and jRiver. What is the bitrate of the nin.com files? I would assume they’re 320 CBR.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It’s up on Apple Music.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I've really grown accustomed and dove into this soundtrack. Now I think it's one of their best, entirely separately from the film. It doesn't overstays, the subtleties, faint chord changes and long evolving and transforming drones and samples are enough to form a whole, continuous and deep picture.

But I know they got more into them, they can do even better. There are still layers and layers of experiments besides the composition, they're always searching and digging. Unfortunately it's not used to its full potential in the film.

This is currently a major problem with some of their soundtracks, T&A bring a LOT of themselves, they build their own world, and maybe only with Fincher they achieve a kind of complete symbiosis. Music in film is always submitted to the whole piece of art, and it's difficult for both to evolve together and form a perfect union. So on one hand maybe T&A come from a place, music for music itself, that won't necessarily fit with the film, maybe filmmakers asking for their help don't use them at their full potential. Maybe everyone just does their best and the result is the best that could be.

But at least, they do create the best fully-fledged soundtrack they fucking can, and feed from the film to form a soundtrack that stands, alone, as art.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Saw this two days ago. Really enjoyed it (maybe the wrong word considering what a gut punch the movie is). Which is funny, b/c the trailer does NOTHING for this movie and initially i had no interest. Then i saw that Trent was attached & the good reviews it was getting and I then changed my mind. There are some excellent performances here. Everyone in the family shines at some point. Sterling K. Brown is excellent as always. And the technique @zecho refers to is done several times in the movie with varying degrees of the music swirling around the theater like the camera is. I think it's really cool to see our boys score intermixed with a song selection otherwise steeped heavily in modern hip hop. Frank Ocean, Sza, Solange, A$AP, Lil Wayne are some that I caught. And the movie's use of Kanye's "I Am A God" is some scary shit.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 12-19-2019 at 01:01 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    I've really grown accustomed and dove into this soundtrack. Now I think it's one of their best, entirely separately from the film. It doesn't overstays, the subtleties, faint chord changes and long evolving and transforming drones and samples are enough to form a whole, continuous and deep picture.

But I know they got more into them, they can do even better. There are still layers and layers of experiments besides the composition, they're always searching and digging. Unfortunately it's not used to its full potential in the film.

This is currently a major problem with some of their soundtracks, T&A bring a LOT of themselves, they build their own world, and maybe only with Fincher they achieve a kind of complete symbiosis. Music in film is always submitted to the whole piece of art, and it's difficult for both to evolve together and form a perfect union. So on one hand maybe T&A come from a place, music for music itself, that won't necessarily fit with the film, maybe filmmakers asking for their help don't use them at their full potential. Maybe everyone just does their best and the result is the best that could be.

But at least, they do create the best fully-fledged soundtrack they fucking can, and feed from the film to form a soundtrack that stands, alone, as art.
    I really think that their music was brilliantly interwoven with the stuff from existing tracks (the Radiohead one particularly felt more lush in the theatre, amid the drones and beats, than it did stuck at the end of Radiohead's last LP stuffed with orchestration). I don't agree that their world-building isn't used to its full potential, here; there was plenty of their original music mixed in amidst all the other information coming at you, just enough to keep it all glued together. Sure, they didn't use all 22 minutes of "Wounds Heal" but I'm glad we got to hear the whole thing in its unedited glory on the soundtrack album.
    Last edited by botley; 12-22-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I really think that their music was brilliantly interwoven with the stuff from existing tracks (the Radiohead one particularly felt more lush in the theatre, amid the drones and beats, than it did stuck at the end of Radiohead's last LP stuffed with orchestration). I don't agree that their world-building isn't used to its full potential, here; there was plenty of their original music mixed in amidst all the other information coming at you, just enough to keep it all glued together. Sure, they didn't use all 22 minutes of "Wounds Heal" but I'm glad we got to hear the whole thing in its unedited glory on the soundtrack album.
    You know, I saw so many comments saying that the didn't even notice the score when they saw the movie that I was expecting it to barely be used. Then I saw the movie and it was almost constant through the whole movie. Maybe the movie's just so intense that the you remember the visuals more than the sounds by the end, but I felt like the music was excellently used throughout this movie, specifically how it transitioned to the other artist's songs throughout the movie.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Film out on home video February 4, 2020. 4K UHD option for digital version.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    It looks like it'll be out next week on amazon.com

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Saw the film this past weekend at the local arthouse theater. While the story was well worn territory, as a purely visceral experience, it was quite a ride. There were also some great song choices to go along with Trent & Atticus' score.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I didn't like the movie, especially the song selection besides Trent & Atticus' original score.
    All that hip-hop shit, Frank Ocean and Radiohead are not my cup of tea.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The movie just came out here in Mexico and holy crap! Such tense movie! I took my hands to my face several times during the film. And great use of the score. I did not expect such crushing experience with a film so vaguely titled. I wonder why it was not heavily nominated during the past awards season? Any of you guys have any idea why it didn't get more recognition?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Any of you guys have any idea why it didn't get more recognition?
    No idea really! It was and is my favorite movie of 2019. I think it got horribly snubbed. Kelvin Harrison, Jr. (Tyler) in particular blew me away, but he at least got an Indie Spirit Award nomination.

Waves is a profoundly moving film, and if you still haven't seen it, I envy you!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    While I thought it was good, and Trent & Atticus' work was top notch, I have to admit that it was a fairly melodramatic film that treaded over some well worn territory. My feeling is that people liked it, but didn't absolutely fall in love with it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Has anyone posted this annotated playlist of songs by the director?
    https://a24films.com/notes/2019/12/t...waves-playlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is maybe my favorite score by them, and one of the most haunting and profound releases by Trent in any capacity. I wish this had a physical release.

it feels so hermetic, you enter it’s world or you get left out, there are no breathers. It almost negates the film, cause the world of the film is open and full of music, this is otherworldly and closed off.
    Last edited by Horican; 11-18-2022 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    This is maybe my favorite score by them, and one of the most haunting and profound releases by Trent in any capacity. I wish this had a physical release.

it feels so hermetic, you enter it’s world or you get left out, there are no breathers. It almost negates the film, cause the world of the film is open and full of music, this is otherworldly and closed off.
    I love this post, so much. Beautifully articulated.