Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Waves - a dramatic musical movie (2019) (UPDATE: not a musical)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    So quick question for you, does anyone know what the official run times for each track are?

I feel like a few of the early tracks end...kinda abruptly, and i want to see if that was the intention or if my download fucked up. I quickly added up the tracks i have and the run time is 75:30 which is shy of the 77 NIN.com states but not by much...

Everything Burns (1:06)
    Bad News (3:00)
    I'm Disappearing (5:05)
    Odds Against (5:16)
    Holding It Together (2.37)
    Feedbackloop (11:16)
    After The Fire (3.56)
    Nobody Home (3:04)
    The Light Shines Trough (10:24)
    Forgetting (1:54)
    How It Begin? (0:52)
    Wounds Heal (22:31)
    Ties (2:12)
    Leaving Missouri (4:17)

I'm probably just being paranoid, but just wanna make sure

P.S This scores nice and DARK!
    The abrupt ends are intentional.

This score... holy fuck...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm loving this score, especially the weird little vocal tics and sounds that are interspersed.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    This score... holy fuck...
    Agreed. Also reading "non-spoiler" reviews of the film while listening and I'm honestly nervous to see it. The Ringer article paints it that it will emotionally wreck you and has some shocking scenes...i am way to fragile with movies like this lol . Not sure I will recover enough to be able to enjoy the score post-viewing (once I see it) if it truly his this intense as described without revisiting the images that correspond with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The FLAC download is 666 MB. Pure coincidence, of course, but still...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I can smell another Oscar coming. The OST is terrific.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I’m reluctantly going to hold off buying or listening to this until my bird box turns up because I don’t want to diminish my enjoyment if that in any way

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    random, but is this on any streaming platforms?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    random, but is this on any streaming platforms?
    Not yet on Spotify, but imagine it will be at some point. All the others have ended up on there.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    So much of this score is just achingly beautiful!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    this is some of the most beautiful and unsettling music TR+AR have made. i absolutely love it. have only listened once but can't wait to listen again.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    DREAM WAVES

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    has anyone else noticed that several of the MP3s (downloaded directly from the nin.com links) continue past their running time without showing any further time elapsed or remaining? "everything burns" does it, along with a few others. very strange!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Are we sure that Everything Burns is supposed to end so abruptly? The quick conclusion and transition to the next track feels like such a cock-block...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    has anyone else noticed that several of the MP3s (downloaded directly from the nin.com links) continue past their running time without showing any further time elapsed or remaining? "everything burns" does it, along with a few others. very strange!
    That happens with certain encoding with certain audio players. VLC in particular has been known to do that with a lot of tracks. I doubt it means anything at all.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I’m reluctantly going to hold off buying or listening to this until my bird box turns up because I don’t want to diminish my enjoyment if that in any way
    Bought it. I figured I would eventually anyway. Haven't listened yet. Maybe I'll hold off listening to BB DE instead. Got a longhaul flight coming up.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    FYI, for anyone else who is dying to see Waves like me, it opens in wide release next Friday, Dec. 6th.

I love this writer/director's previous films (Krisha, It Comes At Night), so that coupled with Trenticus (not to mention the great reviews and Sterling K. Brown) has me salivating.

I'm reluctantly holding off on listening to the score (which of course isn't so bad with newest Watchmen volume recently released), but everyone's comments here have me VERY excited (and anxious!) to finally hear it.
    Last edited by Deadpool; 11-29-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN64 View Post
    Are we sure that Everything Burns is supposed to end so abruptly? The quick conclusion and transition to the next track feels like such a cock-block...
    Yes, intentionally so.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Glad these abrupt endings are intentional. I was getting ready to post asking the same thing.

I LOVE the first track, just wish it were longer!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    That happens with certain encoding with certain audio players. VLC in particular has been known to do that with a lot of tracks. I doubt it means anything at all.
    i didn't think it meant anything, just weird that it happened to a few of the tracks but not all of them. and it's not like just a few seconds, it's 30-60 extra seconds. been listening on my iPhone.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    ...been listening on my iPhone.
    Trent warned you to turn off your fucking phone.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Everything Burns (the only track I've listened to so far) reminds me a lot of the Blade Runner 2049 OST.

So much so that I cut over to the BE2049 OST once Everything Burns cut out. (I was snoozing on a plane)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Everything Burns (the only track I've listened to so far) reminds me a lot of the Blade Runner 2049 OST.

So much so that I cut over to the BE2049 OST once Everything Burns cut out. (I was snoozing on a plane)
    Ha. I've been listening to the Blade Runner OST since listening to the Waves soundtrack. Doesn't help that it was November 2019.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Ha. I've been listening to the Blade Runner OST since listening to the Waves soundtrack. Doesn't help that it was November 2019.
    I’ve been listening to it all month.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    haha what's going on there, is that from some kind of "BR experience" event?

A few years ago I narrowly missed out on this and was pretty upset https://www.secretcinema.org/previou...s/blade-runner

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    haha what's going on there, is that from some kind of "BR experience" event?
    Yeah, since I live in Los Angeles, there were 4 or 5 different Blade Runner themed events going on throughout the month. My girlfriend and I decided it would be fun to go as Roy and Pris for Halloween and then wear our costumes to the other events as well. I won't spam a bunch of photos here, but you can check out instagram.com/toadflax for more of our replicantics.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is the absolute opposite of Watchmen, which I’m loving. Two extremely different releases that are both recognizable as the work of the same people

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    And also, while all of Trent’s releases are sequenced to flow, this one almost feels like it’s all one track. it’s not different songs cleverly transitioning as much as one sound evolving (or harshly cutting)

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    Glad these abrupt endings are intentional. I was getting ready to post asking the same thing.
    Same. lol. As I was listening in the car I was like, "wtf."

I am really enjoying this score. Super awesome.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    There's a 10.5 minute track, an 11 minute track, and a 22.5 minute track. These motherfuckers went prog.
    These motherfuckers went full Eno.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    These motherfuckers went full Eno.
    Was just thinking this myself..

If you had told me in 1999 that in 20 years time, we'd have an alternate-universe NIN where Trent (and Atticus) were making epic film scores seemingly in their sleep that mirrored the grand artistic statements of TDS, The Fragile and Year Zero of their day job, I'd have laughed myself silly..

What other musician is releasing such radically different instrumental work in the vein of Vietnam War, Watchmen, Bird Box and Waves in as little as two years' time. I haven't felt this way since discovering Aphex Twin's stuff in '95-'96..