Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: 2018.07.02 - Berlin, Germany @ Zitadelle

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2018.07.02 - Berlin, Germany @ Zitadelle

sad to say this but i didnt like the show that much. it felt generic and the crowd only reacted to the most obvious parts of the set. ("gave up", "hurt"). my favorite part was "i'm afraid of americans".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don’t care about the crowd, the show was short, but awesome. They played Even Deeper ❤️

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Support act: guy off his face/drunk insulting the audience for 30 minutes. What a twat.

NIN: over the moon with the new stuff (I will happily listen to a set of Less Than played x20) and good to have a crazier stage performance that matched the crowd. I missed that crush!

Reprise: Reinstate. A. Queue. Manager. I was the fourth person at the venue and only stood a chance of seeing anything due to friends.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

2018.07.02 - Berlin, Germany @ Zitadelle

The location is awful. The stage is small and it looks like a local music fest for local music activities. Not very professional.
    The concert: it was my fifth one. The sound mix wasn’t (again) good (voices issues , guitars issues and complete mix issues), the band made (again) a few mistakes. I noticed this several gigs (I don’t recognize this when I look at the past and you're talking about NIN (which stands for quality), wtf is going on?). The sound on itself isn’t massive as it was in the past. What was happening with the vocals during Reptile?
    And I miss Burning Bright and Background World. The concert was as in Amsterdam too short. In Paris and London they played around 120 min.

My last and NIN's last show will be in Madrid. I'll skip Werchter (now) for sure (it's a festival, which means a festival setlist).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    Last edited by witte; 07-03-2018 at 05:13 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's hard to judge the whole crowd from the front of the show, but by they seemed pretty into it throughout. The crush really never stopped during the show. I thought it was decent. Everyone near me was very into it. Good show.

The support was genuinely appalling though, sadly. He came out abusing the crowd, and was either wasted, or high, the bass turned so high throughout there was no chance of hearing what the music was after he pressed play and set his track going (the bass was very rarely so high during NIN, by comparison), and spent the show shouting obscenities at the crowd ("Show me your cocks"?!), sometimes for daring to not be immediately into his dross. Amusingly, while downing beer he kept shouting "Salute", apparently unaware of the country he was in. An all round flop. He left shouting "I'm disappointed in you Germany". I don't think the crowd's reciprocal emotion extended beyond bemused apathy.

Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Reprise: Reinstate. A. Queue. Manager. I was the fourth person at the venue and only stood a chance of seeing anything due to friends.
    Yeah that was a fucking nightmare. I got to the front partly by being there early, but mostly by virtue of being able to run quicker than others. It's a semi-festival show so was always going to be a free for all to some degree, but yeah the previous line manager role alleviated much of that stress in the past.
    Last edited by monkeyarse; 07-06-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    During Reptile something broke in terms of equipment - it seemed to me that TR didn't sing because he noticed and was reacting accordingly. Agree that the mixing wasn't great and I think it's a venue issue - hoping they return to Berlin but in a proper venue in future. Is there anything nice in the city for ~5k-10k people?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed the show. From what I’d heard on here about the venue and Berlin crowds not being great my expectations were relatively low, but it was great, mainly because of the crowd.

I turned up about 730 and ended up about 10m from the front, on the right of the stage. Then when they played Wish I ended up in the centre of the pit then edged off more to the left but still among the chaos and stayed round there most of the show. Atmosphere was great and the crowd had the high physical energy that I hadn’t seen so much at the other shows this tour. I absolutely loved it for that reason. Was great hearing Gave Up again especially with the crowd so into it. Even Deeper was good too. It was disappointing that the show was a bit on the short side though.

Met up with some people I’d met at the Prague show and had a couple of drinks afterwards and enjoyed that, despite us all being slightly sad that this is likely the last NIN show we’ll be seeing for a while. It was my 6th show this tour and I’ve enjoyed every one. Some great set lists, venues and crowds that came together to create some really special moments.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I agree with everyone regarding the crowd and overall aggressiveness of this show. People seemed to be in to it, more than at the other two shows I attended (Paris / Amsterdam). Got to see a couple of songs I had never seen live (The Frail, sadly without The Wretched, I Do Not Want This, Even Deeper!!).

After all three shows I have to say Paris is still my favorite because it was so intimate. I'm really sad that I didn't go to Meltdown because I so deeply wanted to see some of the songs that were played there. Somewhat Damaged, Terrible Lie, The Wretched, Something I Can Never Have, The Big Come Down, Metal – those songs have been on my bucket list for ages since I never got to see any of them live. I hoped they would play at least some of them at the three shows I went to but oh well...

Anyways. One of my personal highlights yesterday:

"God break down the doOoOoOr..."

"...God break down the dOoOoOr..."

(long pause)

"When does the fucking sun go doOoOown...?"
    That was awesome, haha.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Had a blast at the show, but just like in 2014 it absolutely does nothing to me to see a band in broad daylight. Especially not when it's NIN, but Massive Attack suffered the same fate past Friday.

Loved the setlist and have to agree that I could have stayed for 3-4 more songs (background world, the day the world went away, burning bright would have been a nice addition).

Trent seemed to be genuinely into it and the crowd was surprisingly upbeat for a German show! But yes, would have wished this to be at the Tempodrom instead, but oh well, it's NIN and their only German date. So I just had to go and it ranks right there in the middle of my 5 NIN shows by now.

Special thanks to @Leviathant for trying his best to fullfill a little wish that worked out partially, yet amazingly!

Concerning the opening act: I acutally felt appaled by that kind of nonsene and truly wish this was not a personal request by Trent.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Oh, by the way, did anyone notice the mic pointing at the crowd? Is this common practice? It was positioned far to the right, don't know if there was another one on the other side.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    And I must have been completely blind as there was no way I could by one of those special posters. Were they already sold out before the music started? Too bad... would have loved to grab some merch but overall there wasn't anything I liked.

Oh and I completely forgot to mention how much I like that Joy Division cover! Had a blast listening and for some reason it felt totally Berlin-ish to hear a Bowie and JD cover at the show.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Were they already sold out before the music started? Too bad... would have loved to grab some merch but overall there wasn't anything I liked.
    you can still buy them here!
    http://www.douze.de/index.php?page=d...ers&search=NIN

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
    thnx

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    just for the record: after thinking about it, it was a very nice evening after all. i had fun and once again it was a night to remember. i went with two very nice persons. one of them i met for the first time at the nin-concert years before (2014), this time we met again and she is really interesting to talk to (no sexual thing about it, but the conversation was very very deep and cool). we talked for hours after the concert, we even went to neukölln into a bar. and the other person is actually a good friend of my girlfriend. she loves nin since decades now, and i really think we know each other much better now, because when it is getting to the love about nin, you will get far more information than before. thank you nin. (the only reason she left earlier was to get her backpack back)
    it was my eighth nin-concert (1999 düsseldorf, 2000 southside, 2005 berlin, 2005 eurockennes, 2007 frankfurt, 2009 berlin, 2014 berlin). it just didn't blew me away this time. i wished i had the money to fly over to los angeles or new york to experience nin together with "jesus and mary chain" under completely other circumstances, i am jealous. it was just a concert, of course it never will be the same like in motherfuckin' düsseldorf 1999 (fragilty tour).
    it was a half-playback show and the "clap your hands"-attitude (which already started with the second song, "wish") annoyed me, that's all. i hate stupid rock-concert-/festival-shit. plus: i would have liked to see far more songs from the trilogy.
    "only new stuff"-clubtours would be my thing i guess. impossible in europe.
    Last edited by notsoprettynow; 07-05-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    @notsoprettynow : totally catching your drift here, yet it was a fucking NIN show and that's all that matters in the end. I had the time of my life traveling to the UK in 2014 and seeing the "real" show for the first time since 2007. I guess for most European fans these shows are a bummer because we are used to all the high end stuff we saw in Rob's videos, the stuff Moment Factory put up and all... and then there are DVDs like AATCHB, Closure and BYIT which set the bar very very high.

Although I hated the fact this took place in broad daylight like 4 years prior, some people got on my nerves and that the set was very short I still admire the energy that Trent puts into these shows. It's always a sheer joy to watch that man go apeshit from one second to another. And for some reason I like the fact this band seems a tad untouchable up there. Usually that's what I hate about sophisticated rock bands, but with NIN it's something else.

I went to a bar afterwards as well and we talked for hours about the concert as we went to see Massive Attack on Friday, too and were utterly diasspointed and had little hope for the NIN show to turn out any better. The band did great, but Zitadelle is just no place for Massive Attack and their dark atmospheric show, especially not after I saw them two years ago blewing my mind with one of the best live shows I have ever seen, so I can see why NIN fit the bill better with a more arena rock approach.

Either way, it's NIN, it's Berlin, the set was nice and I had a good time! Some people never get to see their favorite band live in the first place and I feel very lucky to have seen NIN a couple of times now.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I will put up some snippets over the course of the week. Feel free to follow me if you are into pics from the pit and some banter (mostly in English as well).

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    now, it's been a week ago and i still feel kind of in this musical fog... and i am just thankful to have had the chance to be there. to listen once again live to this band.
    i visited their concert at same place in 2014 and this year it was a bit less emotional to me, maybe because this time i felt kind of tired of masses of people. i am not a tall person and finding my way to stand somewhere to have a tiny triangle between someone's heads was just annoying. i seem to function as well as visual consuming person, so that i missed something from the show, just missed seeing guys performing...

i actually don't mind to listen to them while the sun is still up there, i just feel happy when giving in into NIN-sounds. but yeah that was a great moment

Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Anyways. One of my personal highlights yesterday:

"God break down the doOoOoOr..."

"...God break down the dOoOoOr..."

(long pause)

"When does the fucking sun go doOoOown...?"
    That was awesome, haha.
    the easy solution would be for Trent/NIN/us to come over to Europe in August, still summer but sun already getting down earlier.

i felt blessed to have a chance to listen live to songs like

even deeper (Robin's guitar made me swing!)
    gave up
    reptile

i also liked the new ones (did he actually play sax then? because i could not really see)

i am not sure if Trent felt like there was not enough feed back from the crowd, so he did not even try to interact that much (compared to 2014 for example), but it did not feel like a generic show to me, tbh.
    i feel like this is just what the band still loves to do: to perform. to play music. to be in music.
    and this means something to me, personally.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Venue sucked, as we were warned months ago on here. I had to choose between getting the variant poster or getting a close, good spot to watch the show. Waited for the poster, and then got a meh spot towards the back before that metal barrier. There is zero incline...just a big, flat dirt/gravel area that isn't nearly wide enough for how big the stage is. People are therefore squashed in there real tight. With no incline, it makes it hard to watch the show from a distance. Add in the insane amount of people that still smoke in Europe (Pearl Jam show a few nights later was even worse), and the fact that there's only one way in & out of the venue and an ambulance came through after the show and they had to hold back the crowd from leaving bc of it...and this wasn't my favorite show ever from NIN. Great setlist though (I Do Not Want This!), and I personally got a huge kick out of watching the band in complete sunlight. It was unique and gave me a different perspective (only other time this occurred recently was when NIN would go on before Jane's in 2009). Highlight of the whole night was Trent changing the line in God Breaks... about when the fuck does the sun go down, as said above.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It's been a while, but here is my journal:

I've been on a biking trip the two weeks prior to the show, so I didn't have the chance to listen to Bad Witch before going to Berlin, only listened to GBDTD once.

My wife was sick the days before and so we waited at the side with a friend and his buddy for the show to start. I have to say that Vatican Shadow was a huge letdown. Can't really say so much about the music, but the performance of that guy was so ridiculous and off-putting that we soon had enough and didn't care about listening anymore. That's especially disappointing considering how awesome some of the other openers are at NIN concerts and the US is getting even The Jesus and Mary Chain...

The show itself was my second NIN concert. After Vatican Shadow I tried getting closer to the stage but that was not really easy, as the place was quite packed. So during the first songs I was stuck in the crowd with tall people in front who didn't move at all and people talking behind me. There were some others who were into it, but all in all the atmosphere wasn't really great. At least I had a good view towards the stage, as the tall people were positioned a little to the left after two or three songs. The Frail to the Lovers was a really good transition.

As the concert went on some people left the front and I was able to move on a little further. The new songs sounded really cool, I was especially taken by Shit Mirror. And although I didn't really know GBDTD I catched the "what time does the goddamned sun go down" line. It's always nice when Trent makes a joke, even if half of the crowd probably didn't even notice.

At Gave Up I was finally in a place where the lights were great and the overall mood was good. From there on the gig was awesome. I didn't know that they played Digital live, but that was quite cool. Trent also seemed into it and made a remark how there were more people now than in the past years (well, if you don't play any other shows in Germany ). But unfortunately with THTF the end of the night started. But those songs were great as usual and during Hurt the atmosphere was epic. Unlike the show I've been to in 2009 there was almost no clapping and everyone just enjoyed the moment or was taken by his feelings.

Overall the concert was a bit on the short side - unfortunately for me, because I couldn't fully enjoy the first half of it. Still a good one, but not among my personal favourites. I really hope I can attend another one in the future.