Thread: Random General Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So if it's considered an allergic reaction, would any reaction to toxins be considered an allergy? I always considered allergies to be your body's peculiar/individual adverse reactions to substances that aren't considered poisonous. As in: I'm allergic individually to enoki mushrooms, but everyone is affected by bleach, a toxin.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    So if it's considered an allergic reaction, would any reaction to toxins be considered an allergy? I always considered allergies to be your body's peculiar/individual adverse reactions to substances that aren't considered poisonous. As in: I'm allergic individually to enoki mushrooms, but everyone is affected by bleach, a toxin.
    Sublimaze should probably answer, but my thinking is, I've eaten tons of mangoes, handled all sorts of them, and at times ate a little bit of the skin by mistake, and nothing happened to me, so I think yours would be an allergic reaction, since I did not get any reaction to mango skin.

p.s. glad you started this thread.

Oh, and since this is random questions, who were you on the old board? Your posts seem familiar!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redshoewearer View Post
    Oh, and since this is random questions, who were you on the old board? Your posts seem familiar!
    I was Inky- who were YOU!

Okay, if your dishwasher rack is super rusty, will it get rust on your dishes? (I just moved)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I was Inky- who were YOU!
    Oh! The avatar with the bearded guy with girl's pigtails!

I was JaneNY for a while, but I changed my name while on the old board.

Another - who was NotoriousTIMP before?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've never been effected by poison ivy and I'm 95% sure that I've encountered it before. The way you put it sounds right, that a toxin affects everyone and allergens don't, but are you sure that urushiol considered a toxin?

Okay, if your dishwasher rack is super rusty, will it get rust on your dishes? (I just moved)
    That seems like a strong possibility. At least where the dishes are touching the rack.
    Last edited by Goldfoot; 12-21-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Æffect sucks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    I've never been effected by poison ivy and I'm 95% sure that I've encountered it before. The way you put it sounds right, that a toxin affects everyone and allergens don't, but are you sure that urushiol considered a toxin?
    Okay, so when I searched for urushiol on various websites, it was referred to as a toxin. But, when you look up info on poison ivy, it refers to it as an allergen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    ... a poisonous North American plant that is well known for its production of urushiol, a clear liquid compound found within the sap of the plant that causes an itching rash in most people who touch it... Around 15% to 30% of people have no allergic reaction.
    So really, people need to get this toxin/allergen difference sorted out.

And if you have brushed against/touched poison ivy you don't necessarily come into contact with the urushiol because it's in the sap, not always on the leaf surface. I am pretty sure I touched it a few times at summer camp, with no effect.