Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Questions

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Mr. Owl said 3.

Mr. Owl is a lying liar who tells filthy lies.

Also, he cheated.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    Mr. Owl is a lying liar who tells filthy lies.

Also, he cheated.
    He only cheated to hid the fact that he can't count past 3.

That being said, he's an owl. The fact that he can even count to three is still pretty impressive...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped_Savant View Post
    He only cheated to hid the fact that he can't count past 3.

That being said, he's an owl. The fact that he can even count to three is still pretty impressive...
    You make a striking point. I'm still surprised he didn't attack that kid, or at least smack his wings against the kid's head and then shit on him or something.

Owls are savage bastards, is what I'm saying. But they're still not nearly as bad as cats.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I thought of just getting this question out there. What exactly does this quote mean? It is really referring to just having a sense of humor and being laid back? I hope so, because a DUI or having unprotected sex and catching an STD or ending up with an unwanted child sounds like anything but something to be happy about in the long-run. Oh, and please pardon me, as I sometimes have a problem with taking things too seriously and literally.

If you don't do stupid things when you're young, you won't have anything to smile about when you get old.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-03-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random General Questions

It means that we all do stupid things when we're young, and at least we'll be able to laugh, later.

I'll give you personal examples:

* When I was 4, I pretended to be a trapeze artist and I got the playground swing to go real high and then I jumped off. I broke my left arm in 3 places. I had a cast for a year. Doc said no cartwheels in a cast, I didn't listen and learned to do one-handed cartwheels.

* When I was 8, I was slippery-sliding on ice with classmates on the playground during recess. I fell and my head bounced off the ice like a melon. I was knocked unconscious. The school called mom to come pick me up. I was mad because I got to go home, then, but I didn't get to go home when a wasp stung me in the face during recess while I was watching some boys throw rocks at a wasp nest.

* When I was 9, I was on roller skates and doing Shoot The Duck under saw horses in Grandma's garage. I fell and fractured my right wrist and had a cast for 3 months.

* When I was 14, I was trying to do hockey stops on figure skates. I hit a chunk of ice and flew into the air and landed on my chin. I thought I was okay until my friend started screaming OH MY GOD YOU'RE BLEEDING

* When I was 15, I was riding on the sidewalk on my 10-speed bike, no-handed, early morning on my way to school, (I can still ride no-handed), my arms loaded with books. A neighbor had (unbeknownst to me) edged his lawn. My front wheel caught the edge between lawn and sidewalk and the bike ... stopped. I kept going, Over the handlebars. Books scattered. Oddly enough, I was not injured at all.

* When I was 16, I was driving mom's MG Midget with mom in car, on our way to Grandma's. I took a corner too fast and put the car into a ditch. A nice farmer came by and pulled us out with his tractor. Car was unscathed. Mom laughed THEN.

I could go on and on ... My family and I laugh about all this stuff but, really, it's a wonder my mom didn't have a heart attack :-). BUT I SURVIVED!! I'm still a daredevil, but in a much smarter way. Even with two wooden sticks strapped to my feet while hurtling myself down an ice-covered mountain.

Last edited by allegro; 11-04-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Not sure if this is the place for this but, does anyone know of any movies or shows (specific episodes) where someone gets a big gaping hole in the chest that can be seen through? I'm drawing a blank right now, but I need it for school (PS class).

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Random Movie/TV News version 2.awesome

Shaun of the Dead, for starters.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Death Becomes Her..i loved that movie as a kid (which seems odd now watching a trailer for it)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhet View Post
    Death Becomes Her..i loved that movie as a kid (which seems odd now watching a trailer for it)
    i re-watched it last year with my fiancee and our friend, both of whom had never seen it, and it holds up surprisingly well. i mean, it's completely ridiculous, but it's also fantastic.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Random General Questions

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i re-watched it last year with my fiancee and our friend, both of whom had never seen it, and it holds up surprisingly well. i mean, it's completely ridiculous, but it's also fantastic.
    Yeah I really want to rewatch it now cause I'm sure loads of it was over my head watching it as a kid.

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    stay at where i work, where i have respect and decent play, but cut all of my hair off (the same hair i want to donate)

OR

get a new job, and sign up for school which i have been procrastinating for months because i fear nothing more than change.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhet View Post
    this definitely holds up. i love robert zemeckis.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    So what do you do when someone (um my teacher) is pronouncing a word differently than I always learned (and heard others in the same field say), when you have a question and need to say the word? It is the word 'Poisson' relating to Poisson process. He says it like 'poison' like in English, but I've always heard teachers say it like you would in French, when it means the word for fish. I want to ask him something, so do I have to say it wrong the way he says it? If I say it the way I always learned it, it looks like I'm showing him he says it wrong. Awkward.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    That's a tough one, since foreign last names are always tricky like that. Nobody agrees about them, either you sound like a silly elitist if you pronounce it with it's original accent, either you slaughter it by "translating" it. You are fundamentally correct, but would you do the same with an Indian name, or an Arabic one ?
    As I said, it's tricky. I guess you can keep on pronouncing it the way you want without looking like an ass though.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    What does one buy a 16 year old for Christmas? I have about £30 to spend and want to be "cool older cousin" without rotting her brain.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Random General Questions

What does it mean when a person's speech pattern always is to fade out and sort of mumble the last sentence he says?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Learned habit. People do tons of dumb things with their speech just from habit.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @allegro - I actually forgot that I left that question up there, as I've posted it and deleted it multiple times. Thanks for helping me out on that, as it was actually one of my guesses. I also suppose it was a bit hard for me to understand, or relate to at first because I tend to be hard on myself from time to time. It's good to see that you're able to laugh at yourself, since from the looks of it, it really does mean that you're okay with being yourself, and you as a person. I could definitely see that in you, however, I wouldn't have ever guessed that you were ever the daredevil type. I actually got the impression that you've always played it safe, with the exception of this post, which I sort of forgot as well.

But yes, thank you for your response and examples overall.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-11-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    Learned habit. People do tons of dumb things with their speech just from habit.
    Ahhhh. So, I guess pointing it out isn't going to offend the dude. It's hard enough understanding him through his accent, for it to fade and mumble at the end is even harder to comprehend.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    What does one buy a 16 year old for Christmas? I have about £30 to spend and want to be "cool older cousin" without rotting her brain.
    Depends on what kind of 16 year old we're talking about, really. Music is always good.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    make her a mix. seriously. it probably won't take that long, and most people appreciate gifts that are made more than gifts that are bought.

i know i wouldn't be the same or have the same taste in music if it weren't for the few people in my life that were like older siblings/cousins who gave me amazing mixes when i was in high school.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Did anybody else notice that Internet forums didn't seem to catch on with people that were born in the early 1990s, or even the mid to late 1990s? (Then again, I noticed that there were sort of more people from the early 1990s posting as soon as they turned 18-21+, but not back in the early to mid 2000s, or barely, if there were any.) The youngest people I've seen on most Internet forums were often born in the mid to late 1980s.

It really does seem like Internet forums also haven't caught on with people born in the mid to late 1990s as well, but they've mostly caught on with Facebook and Twitter. I'm sure I'm not alone here, but have you also noticed this? Perhaps Internet forums were more of a big thing back in the early to mid 2000s.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-26-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I hear a lot of people say that Internet forums died 10 years ago, even those currently over 30. I have to disagree with them.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Random General Questions

People are dumb. Forums, this being generally the only one I frequent, are imo a great source of information at times. Generally if I'm looking for something via googles problem wise, I try and find a forum post. Not just for that either... I can see how do to fb etc it may not get talked about much anymore but yeah, forums ftw!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Did anybody else notice that Internet forums didn't seem to catch on with people that were born in the early 1990s, or even the mid to late 1990s? (Then again, I noticed that there were sort of more people from the early 1990s posting as soon as they turned 18-21+, but not back in the early to mid 2000s, or barely, if there were any.) The youngest people I've seen on most Internet forums were often born in the mid to late 1980s.

It really does seem like Internet forums also haven't caught on with people born in the mid to late 1990s as well, but they've mostly caught on with Facebook and Twitter. I'm sure I'm not alone here, but have you also noticed this? Perhaps Internet forums were more of a big thing back in the early to mid 2000s.
    You have heard of Bulletin Board Systems, right? We were using them in the mid-80s. Using 2400 baud modems, LOL. For example.

Most of my own searches related to my hobbies or house remodeling or fix-it projects or computer or car issues end up being answered via a forum discussion somewhere. And I have never seen any indication of age, I'm not looking for that when I'm trying to find out if I can re-caulk only a small section of a granite counter and not the whole thing or how to unconstipate my print spooler in Windows 7 or if I can plant arborvitae in a semi-shady area with wet soil or if anybody else has had problems with the restraint system warning going off all the time in the new BMW X3s.

I think most World of Warcraft Forums defy your suggested demographic info.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-29-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I was about to say ETS, but I also had to consider how long NIN was around, and how long both The NIN Hotline and ETS were around. And yes, I certainly have. I was always interested in how they were back then. (I also asked this because most people I've known have never bothered with forums in general, but most of them certainly do social networking sites.)

I also suppose I was wondering about this, because I kept reading and hearing claims that social networking sites killed off forums, but never actually believed that and wanted to see what other ETS members thought about those claims.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-29-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Social networking sites and forums are two completely different (discussion) animals, primarily because very little real "discussion" happens on the former.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey, my fellow ETS-ers, I need your help. I'm moving to Los Angeles in about a month
    and I need to know where NOT to look for apartments and such. I've only been to Simi
    Valley, Ventura, Moorpark, and so forth, so I haven't seen where not to live.
    Thanks for any advice!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So, I work at the same place with my mother.
    She had been doing a relatively easy job for quite some time now, which was great because she has a few herniated discs in her back
    and is generally not the springiest of chickens.. A new boss came in, got rid of one of the positions, and put most of that work on my mom.
    and she's fucking miserable. So, I'm wondering how I could help alleviate some of that..
    I've looked over her schedule, and when i'm working I plan on skipping the 2 10min breaks I get and helping her with her shit, but ultimately
    I don't think she'll last long in this new position. So, how does one help their parents out in this type of situation? I suggested she go down to
    part time, just enough to cover the cost of her insurance, but she doesn't seem to want to do that...

I think in the very near future I may have to move in with her, so she can retire.. I know this isn't a great "question" and may be a little all over the place
    but it's really weighing on me, and stressing me the fuck out.. I hate to see her struggle.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Any one familiar with Medford OR, giving some thought to moving there in the fall. This winter pretty much destroyed my cold tolerance. That and I'm getting tired of living here.