Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Questions

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Nightmare before Christmas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can anyone tell me what language this is? I think it's either Tagalog or...yeah, I don't know.
    "Tou koi phadec mot fi"

Thanks!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Maybe it's the internets here at the cafe but has youtube been sucking it up lately?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Does anyone know of any good public domain, royalty free music resources? All the site's I've been able to find, they all completely suck, or charge something like $99 a use.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Any Gaelic speakers here? How would you pronounce this name: O'Searcoid? (and there is an accent on the o that is in the middle of the name)

I was thinking it would sound like 'O-sheerkud' or something near that?

It is the author of a math book I'm using and none of us in class, including the teacher, is 100% sure how to pronounce it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    'Oh-shar-code' (emphasis on the 'shar').

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks Hula!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    public domain AND royalty free?

in all my research, musopen.org is about your only option [which fucking sucks]

if you're so inclined, you could find public domain midis and synthesize them yourself-- stupid i know

personally i'm looking for the best deal on royalty free music with unlimited use-- i could handle paying the hundo if i got enough music to use in my projects forever

edit; how the hell does quotes work now

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    Does anyone know of any good public domain, royalty free music resources? All the site's I've been able to find, they all completely suck, or charge something like $99 a use.
    edit: i misread the question
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 02-07-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: and sadpanda is a dick

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadpanda View Post
    edit; how the hell does quotes work now
    Like this. See that button next to "reply" that says "reply with quote"?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Thanks sanpanda, I'll check it out. I'm not really interested in synthesizing my own midi, I might keep that in mind for future though.

Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    what are you looking to find here? info on releases, band members, reviews? there's always allmusic and discogs (and sometimes last.fm), but that might be more elementary level if you're looking for all the behind-the-scenes info.
    Sorry, I should have been clearer. I'm looking for royalty free music to use in a game I'm making, something akin to the music for Flight Control or Angry Birds. When I'm making a game I usually have a piece of music in mind (Cat Attack, for example was always going to be Flight of the Bumblebee), but I want to shop around a bit for my latest. Something catchy but not obnoxious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    what are you looking to find here? info on releases, band members, reviews? there's always allmusic and discogs (and sometimes last.fm), but that might be more elementary level if you're looking for all the behind-the-scenes info.
    >musician
    >doesnt know what public domain or royalty free mean

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    >musician
    > crackhead
    > smokes crack

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    >musician
    nobody likes an asshole.

DF118, i assume you've tried these then:
    http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/tips/freemusic.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    roflwaffles

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So I'll be interviewing MuteMath next week, and it's the first time I'll have ever interviewed someone. Not only am I already a huge fan, but I don't even know where to begin with how to conduct it, what questions to ask in order to keep it interesting and fun. Would any of you by any chance have any advice for me?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    wish i saw this earlier. I used to interview bands all the time and probably could have helped you out.

Did a few with:

bayside
    silverstein
    plain white t's
    punchline
    hawthorne heights
    the get go
    j.v. allstars
    ect...

(dont't know why i fet the need to list those) not as cool when your 27 as it was when i was 23 and in school

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    So I'll be interviewing MuteMath next week, and it's the first time I'll have ever interviewed someone. Not only am I already a huge fan, but I don't even know where to begin with how to conduct it, what questions to ask in order to keep it interesting and fun. Would any of you by any chance have any advice for me?
    What about researching some interviews of them already done, and see what questions are asked a lot, and at least be sure not to ask those? See what questions annoyed them, or they liked. Those would be some of the first things i'd think of.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    My car was involved in a towing incident some months back, after needing it towed due to a battery related issue...towing mechanism almost ripped out the whole front bumper when it was being brought out from underneath the car. The tow truck driver then thought to wedge something behind one of the tires and then turn on the tow reel to pull out the mechanism safely enough. But what resulted from the incident was front bumper edges protruding out a bit. Pretty noticeable if you took one look at it, especially the right side.

Fast forward to today...one attempted repair (at the towing company's expense) didn't quite do the trick...it's still visibly protruded on one side. Not perfect. Not the way I bought the car. Plain and simple. I called the repair place back and said I wasn't totally happy with it and want more attempts done, like they said I could do. I got an appointment on Saturday for now... Basically, though, if it doesn't turn out much better, if the bumper is warped just enough to not be fixable, I have the right to ask for a new bumper or money for one (covering the part cost, paint job, and installing) from the towing company, right?

Edit: It was fixed.
    Last edited by Amaro; 03-04-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    So what does an "industry person" wear to an awards show? I doubt my staple evening retroslut wardrobe will suffice for this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    THIS NEEDS TO EXIST.

Okay, so I drank a mango smoothie the other day, and broke out in a crazy rash, and my whole body still itches three days later. Apparently, mango sap and skin contains urushiol, the same toxin that's contained in poison ivy. As someone who eats fresh and processed mangoes frequently this was a huge shock, as the processing plant for Naked must be run by idiots and assholes who don't care if all the skin gets in there. My question here is- would this be considered an allergic reaction? Wouldn't everyone be affected by this toxin in some way, big or small? I contacted the company and their reply was basically "it's not our fault you had an allergic reaction".
    Allergies are hypersensitivity reactions. Few people are extra sensitive to allergens or things that cause allergy. So you maybe one of them. It sounds like an allergy. Try anti histamines and other medications that are prescribed by doctors. If it slows down or disappears it means your allergic. These allergens release histamines and serotonin in body causing rashes and other allergic symptoms so anti histamines are usually helpful.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Best way to convert DRM M4P files to mp3?

I use Total Video Converter to convert everything usually, but these stubborn m4p files are being a bitch and it won't allow me to.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    iTunes seems to be able to convert some formats, but I'm not sure about m4p.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hey playas, anyone here ever look into immigrating to the Caribbean?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    iTunes seems to be able to convert some formats, but I'm not sure about m4p.
    This looks promising:

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2385673/2121192/

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Well it is pretty promising, then once the conversion starts the fucking Apple icon pops up saying shit about usual DRM authorisation. Jesus this is getting frustrating.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Anyone here know anything about mindfulness? I'm finally getting round to starting it up, but I'm kind of interested in hearing about people's experience with it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    Anyone here know anything about mindfulness? I'm finally getting round to starting it up, but I'm kind of interested in hearing about people's experience with it.
    Mmm...i'm not sure what you mean by this. But i've been practicing "meditative" mindsets for years now (just as a way to deal with anxiety) and my therapist last year told me to try to be "mindful". To me that just means taking a deep breath and seeing your present moment with 100% of your attention, to NOT think about the future, the past, or anything at all except to just absorb. Just sitting with my cup of coffee outside for 10 solid minutes makes all the difference for me sometimes. I always have to take a moment to myself during the evening at some point- especially when I'm feeling "anxious" thoughts on the back of my head. I really like sitting and doing absolutely "nothing", but let myself think without passing judgement.
    Last edited by halloween; 05-11-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    I fail miserably at it, but, I really love the teachings of this guy

But really Mindfulness, from what I understand, Mindfulness is just about watching what you think, your thoughts, even now, suggestions your mind brings up that are not based in what actually happened. Be aware of how you interpret things. Literal, Would be a simplistic interpretation, but then think of where our thoughts lead us: 'Does he or she like me or not'? And the myriad of thoughts social situations throw up? Like a lot of Buddhism it is based on what you KNOW not ideology or theology (no celestial dictatorships) but what you can see, touch, taste, smell, hear, and then realizing that those things are interpreted by atoms (not sure if I used the right word here) flowing into your brain to create a mental image of whats REALLY going on. Mind is like an onion, constantly strip away the layers. And as Thanissaro says, we are like camera, constantly focusing on something outside, in the distance, when all we really have is here, inside. And inside we die. Death being something that also goes hand in hand with dealing with mindfulness. Not just us, but our planet. And, the fact that one day the sun will consume the earth and quite possibly every single human en-devour will be gone. Now that's a thought.

EDIT Mindfulness also involves watching the 'mind'. i.e, go sit somewhere and watch the clouds. Thats it, Focus on nothing but the clouds. Think about nothing but the clouds. And watch how thoughts come into your head. 'I have to write an essay by Monday' etc. Worry, I guess. then these teaching lead to attachment. We build attachments in this world. Our mind 'grasps' and 'needs' things. Possessions. If I have a nice car girls will like me etc. Relationships. Thats your mind. That doesnt discount 'Love' though. If it really is Love and not just convenience, habit, fear or social standing that drives it.

And then obviously we have the Breath. Follow each in and out. What are you ACTUALLY breathing in and out? Down to the atom? Or god particle? There are no revelations or miracles in Buddhism.

All the best to you.
    Last edited by YKWYA; 05-07-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The core of mindfulness (as it relates to treating depression and anxiety - I'm not too familiar with the philosophical stuff) is basically observing without evaluating and judging. It doesn't just go for things around you but your thoughts and inner processes as well. If you have a negative thought you don't interpret it as such, you just notice its existence and let it pass, like words or images on a screen, and then continue with whatever you were being mindful about. You can empoy mindfulness while doing anything, from washing the dishes (notice water temperature, slippery feel of the detergent, the feel of the sponge, what you can smell (but not pass judgement on whether it's pleasant or not), what sort of sounds the dishes make, can you hear any noises from outside, etc..), taking a walk, taking a shower and so on.
    Apparently, it's quite effective, though I've never really given it a try myself, not on a regular basis anyway.