Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23

Thread: Random General Questions

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I finally somehow just thought of this question, and there is obviously no way that I can be the only one. It also definitely fits in this thread.

Anyway, how did it feel for you when you find somebody you know on ETS, or any other online community for that matter on the Internet or real life where you finally hear their real voice, and it just blows your mind at least for a few moments? (And by then you just clearly read their posts in their real voices from there on out?)

I know it's simply because now I finally know what the actual voice sounds like, but of course, I have no other option but to make up a voice for everybody else I haven't heard at all whenever I read their posts. I've always done it, but I think it's also just a habit with the brain being wired to do that anyway.

But yes, I just got amused at the thought yet again, because I always took it for granted. Not to mention, it would be kind of funny bringing up the topic of, "I thought that you actually sounded like this, but..." or "I imagined that you sounded like this, but..."
    unless someone has posted a picture of themselves, i picture everyone as their avatars, so when i met p_rez at the saturday chicago show, i had always just imagined him as a piece of with teeth era artwork haha

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Has anybody else noticed that when most people think of the term settling down, they often just think of marriage and procreation?

The other meaning of settling down I've been aware of for quite some time was also about being at a point in your life where you can opt have a permanent steady job/career with a permanent residence, either house or apartment. It turns out it could be either one or the other or all of the above, but I haven't seen much people refer to settling down in the context of having a stable job/career and permanent residence.

So for instance, somebody that graduates college to be say a doctor, lawyer/judge, banker/accountant, or a teacher/professor, and on top of that has finally found a permanent place of employment with a permanent house or apartment to reside in has certainly settled down. (Or any other permanent stable source of employment/income in one location be it a house or an apartment for life regardless of college.)

Anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there for now, because settling down also refers to those things along with sticking to them, also in addition to living orderly and calmly with peace and quiet.

Settling down can even apply to those that are the absolute opposite of job hoppers and drifters/vagabonds, or say "digital nomads".

Can humor/jokes also work without any element of surprise whatsoever? Or does most if not all types of humor/jokes require some element of surprise at the very least?

Has anybody also noticed that most jokes also seem to work when things go wrong? (Like failure, forgetfulness and laziness as an example, but I have yet to see jokes on success, precision, efficiency and productivity. I'm not saying they don't exist, but they're certainly rare from what I've noticed.)

I can obviously see as to why in some cases, but it would actually be a rather cool pleasant surprise to see jokes on things done right/well instead of flaws and mishaps.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-04-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Oh look at you, with your springtime hay fever. must be nice to have it limited to one time a year! :lol

but seriously, I'm allergic to spring, summer, and fall. and some parts of winter but I'm not sure which parts, that one always surprises me.

on another topic: websites that say "the last time you accessed this page was: today's date" yeah, no shit? today? how odd.
    From the little things that piss you off thread, I mentioned Springtime hayfever.

Today I've woken up and nothing is giving me relief, and I'm sneezing every 10 seconds or so. Taken antihistamines and sprayed stuff up my nostrils.

Does anyone know of any stronger solutions to hayfever? Tingling nostrils, nonstop sneezing... I feel like ripping my nose off.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    From the little things that piss you off thread, I mentioned Springtime hayfever.

Today I've woken up and nothing is giving me relief, and I'm sneezing every 10 seconds or so. Taken antihistamines and sprayed stuff up my nostrils.

Does anyone know of any stronger solutions to hayfever? Tingling nostrils, nonstop sneezing... I feel like ripping my nose off.
    Nasal SPRAYS tend to work better than any pill you take; e.g. Flonase but most doctors will put you on a combo of spray and pill.

As far as pills, there's levels of strengths: Lowest to highest: Claritin, Allegra, Zyrtec / Zyban.

But sometimes you need PRESCRIPTION nasal sprays to really get the job done. For example: https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a697014.html

Also, my doctor insists on CLEANING your nose several times per day to rid your nasal passages of the allergen, via saline nose sprays or a neti pot (never use tap water, only use saline solution).
    Last edited by allegro; 10-12-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I have a prescription nasal spray, and I find myself having to spray at least 3 or 4 times (more than the prescribed amount) in order for it to shut my nose up. It's annoying. It tastes gross too.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i've never been able to use nasal sprays. my deviated septum makes it impossible to get it up one nostril, and the other nostril basically just empties it out into the back of my throat (which burns), and it doesn't offer any kind of relief. sometimes it will actually give me a headache. so i gave up on sprays over a decade ago.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i've never been able to use nasal sprays. my deviated septum makes it impossible to get it up one nostril, and the other nostril basically just empties it out into the back of my throat (which burns), and it doesn't offer any kind of relief. sometimes it will actually give me a headache. so i gave up on sprays over a decade ago.
    Truth be told, I *hate* the prescription sprays. Like @ickyvicky said, they TASTE TERRIBLE. I did find out that a secret to them not going down the back of my throat is holding my head slightly forward, and not snorting them like a giant line of coke. The spray only needs to get into the nose, not the chambers of my brain LOL. The Flonase tastes and smells like lavender, so that's still my favorite. Although, it's a steroid so ...

@Erneuert - I should say, too, that for severe hay fever, there are still other prescription options besides nasal sprays, stuff like cryotherapy and shots and pills you put under your tongue, etc. Seeking an actual allergist to get allergy tests to narrow down the sources of your allergies is often a good idea.

I have all the same symptoms of "hay fever" but I'm not allergic to any plants; I have 365-day allergies that cause the same symptoms as hay fever, which was determined by a full-blown test, and those change over the years.

My Mom, same thing. She had the full-blown test and she thought she was allergic to "everything." Ends up she's really only allergic to ONE thing: Cats.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-14-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    wasn't exactly sure where to put this but Stickermule (from whom i got some awesome holographic stickers for an insanely good deal a few months ago) is having a sale on enamel pins right now. 50 for $29 (normally $69) with free shipping. 1.25" square. i'm getting my shirt design!

https://www.stickermule.com/deals?ut...1TWQnxbQ%3D%3D

anyway, just thought some of y'all might want to get pins made for something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Jesus, your internet gave out on your mid-spam? obviously you need better internet. You should totally check out https://www.xfinity.com/ or https://www.centurylink.com/ and see which is better for you.

edit: Well now I look like a crazy person.
    Last edited by allegate; 07-28-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Speaking of Jesus and the internet, can someone cut me a break and rip this youtube video for me? I've the discs, but they're all scratched up.
    I'm trying to make a reasonable concert library on Plex.

And this video features Pratt the Father, Dirk the Son, and Lerxst, the Holey Spirit of Radio.
    In their final form, they create the Holy Ghost of a Chance.
    annnnnnnd, i'll stop with the rush nerd jokes.

please rip this thing for me? i've tried everything :/

Last edited by elevenism; 08-27-2021 at 01:11 AM.