Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Mandy

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mandy

Damn

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    don't know if this is the right place but checking out some of the web series like marble hornets twelve tribes every man hybrid i appreciate the attempt at creativity the attempt to merge arg's and story telling don't care for a lot of the acting over use of slender-man mythos one that's totally original and creative is the flesh interface
    -Louie

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Bit torn on this to be honest. I'm not a horror buff by any means, but I do like these retro stylings that are hip these days so stuff like this appeals. Plus, I'm quite a sucker for Nicolas Cage. Couldn't bring myself to watch his Wicker Man when it was on the other night, but yeah, overall I'm feeling like this will be well worth watching. Want to see Riseborough in a lot more too. Initially impressed by Birdman and National Treasure which she was great in.

But... call me a boring old liberal or whatevs... I'm tired of old men having young girlfriends in film. Of course this can happen in real life and I'm not judging anyone who has that relationship (or other way round), but when older women aren't getting the roles they should... well, it sucks. Obviously we have two great actors here, and if the material is as good as it looks then maybe this is just the best people for the part regardless of age - it's just a real problem I have with a lot of mainstream movies where Mr Leading Man (in his 50s, give or take) has to have a female partner at least half his age. Rant rant rant...

Anyway, yes, I'll be going to see this. Hope it is good.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I can't wait to see this.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Looks great. I'm also intrigued to hear the score by the late Jóhann Jóhannsson.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Honestly, this is the movie from Nic Cage I've been waiting for him to do for a long time. I wanna fucking see this.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    count me the fuck in!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Holy shit.

Just finished this last night and it's easily best movie I've seen all year ... as well as one of the best movie experiences I've ever had. The music, the cinematography, the atmosphere, action ... everything about it took me to another level and it completely surpassed my expectations.

If you liked Beyond the Black Rainbow, you enjoy the work of Alejandro Jodorowsky or like art house action movies ... go see this movie immediately.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Seeing tonight and my showing is sold out!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Best Cage movie i've seen in many a year, a tad bit style over substance but when it's this damn stylish it's hard not to love it!

His last one (Mom & Dad) i thoroughly enjoyed as well!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Best Cage movie i've seen in many a year, a tad bit style over substance but when it's this damn stylish it's hard not to love it!

His last one (Mom & Dad) i thoroughly enjoyed as well!
    i think cage is a good actor, i feel he needs a good director to keep him in line and not over acting or coming off as silly
    -louie

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    God I love Red Letter Media. This was a great episode too. Oddly enough, I caught Predator in the afternoon (it fucking sucks) and watched Mandy later that night. Glad to see Mandy as much as I did.

It's been a week almost and I haven't been able to stop thinking about the movie. Already pre-ordered the soundtrack on vinyl and the blu-ray.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I'm not quite sure how I feel about Mandy.

I enjoyed it a lot, there were amazing things in it, but its tone felt (not intentionally) uneven. I wonder if the "crazy" aspect of it only came in when Cage was cast...

That said, it was a lovely moviewatching experience, and I would highly recommend it... just try to ignore the incredible hype.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i was REALLY looking forward to MANDY.....what a letdown, it was terrible. Disorganized, plotless, devoid of any character development...just bad. only way this movie couldve been enjoyable is if i were on shrooms (unfortunately i was not).

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Saw it a couple days ago. I agree that it was all over the place and I ultimately failed to pay attention midway through. Some nice shots at the end but not enough to save the movie.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Man, the vinyl of the score is gorgeous.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post

Man, the vinyl of the score is gorgeous.
    Thats pretty sick looking. I enjoyed the movie, and saw the vinyl posted for sale, but then thought, "realistically, how often will I listen to this?"

Then I didn't order it. Oh well.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    Thats pretty sick looking. I enjoyed the movie, and saw the vinyl posted for sale, but then thought, "realistically, how often will I listen to this?"

Then I didn't order it. Oh well.
    Honestly, not only is this my favorite movie of the year ... the score may be in my top 5 for favorite albums of the year. It's got a lot going on that I adore musically.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Honestly, not only is this my favorite movie of the year ... the score may be in my top 5 for favorite albums of the year. It's got a lot going on that I adore musically.
    Ill have to give the score another listen!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Loved the movie. Yeah, it has its faults but Cage was the perfect cast for his role. I like him in the good guy/batshit crazy role and would love to see him in something along the lines of Mandy but written better. I agree with @hellospaceboy with respect to it feeling uneven at times, but then again I also agree with @Reaps that the style of the film really carries it and allows me to overlook the minor issues this film had. My only complaint is I wish I had seen in a theater instead of on my laptop

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Watched it in the middle of the night. Cage brings it, to the point of transcending the problems inherent within. Linus Roache as the villain did a remarkable job too, an utterly contemptible and frightening villain. Maybe because emotions are heightened because of everything happening in the world now, but it hit a few raw nerves. The scene in the bathroom particularly.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    The score is still so fucking good for this movie.