Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake (1996)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    What was the first link? It's no longer active.

TR leaking something again? Fill me in, I just saw all this.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post

Just the text from the booklet, so if you've seen that then you're not missing anything. Interesting that it came down so quickly though. I wonder if it was planned that way or whether the 'unnamed video game publisher' intervened.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Its basically what's on the 2nd link but in html format, where you can read the booklet material.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    I want to print a booklet. Hot damn.
    So now that I've had a chance to digest all of this, is the 2xLP not coming with the booklet like the other DE that were released?

Also, i captured the 1st link in PDF format for posterity. Not going to post it (yet) since I don't know if it was taken down due to issues or just a blip in the system right now.
    Last edited by spahn; 09-16-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    So now that I've had a chance to digest all of this, is the 2xLP not coming with the booklet like the other DE that were released?

Also, i captured the 1st link in PDF format for posterity. Not going to post it (yet) since I don't know if it was taken down due to issues or just a blip in the system right now.
    Right hence the print-your-own template.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    Right hence the print-your-own template.
    Between work and the rush of it all, it kind of just hit me. LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "It is raped" is the genuine fucking title?

Wow.

For over 20 years I've been telling people, "No, obviously the track list including the title 'It is raped' is bullshit, why would you think Trent would name a track that?".

I was excited to buy this, but now I'm not sure if there's any point, as I'm obviously not a very good NIN fan for not knowing that 'It is raped" was real all along.

But since 'It is raped' is real... how did people find out those real titles in the first place?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    With regards to everyone wanting booklets...when Deviations 1 came out, I put the .pdf on a thumb drive and went to my local Kinko's/FedEx Office (not sure what the EU/UK equivalent of that is...) and gave them the file. I picked out a sufficiently heavy paper stock and they made something that, to me, felt as close to official as possible. It cost a bit, but that was a lot of pages. I'd recommend that for folks.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shit Mirror View Post
    "It is raped" is the genuine fucking title?

Wow.

For over 20 years I've been telling people, "No, obviously the track list including the title 'It is raped' is bullshit, why would you think Trent would name a track that?".

I was excited to buy this, but now I'm not sure if there's any point, as I'm obviously not a very good NIN fan for not knowing that 'It is raped" was real all along.

But since 'It is raped' is real... how did people find out those real titles in the first place?
    And more importantly, why did it take to September 16, 2020 for TR to confirm them as correct?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I wonder if the song titles were chosen by id, rather than TR...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Come now, we can't blame id for the track title being unnecessarily gross.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't give something a title like that nowadays but I also imagine he would feel dishonest changing it to something more acceptable for release now. Kind of awkward for me as its probably my favorite track on the record, in my opinion one of the most unsettling and dread-soaked pieces he has produced (if this is the one I thought was called Ziggurat Vertigo anyway), but I'll say this - somehow the word 'It' is the creepiest part of the title. Like, 'He' or 'She', that would be blatantly button-pushing and douchey edgelord status, and I suppose it still is in many ways, but 'It' somehow makes the statement and its context really uncomfortably cryptic. Leaves some disturbing questions hanging in the air. Which is to say that it's a regrettable title but one I'm not surprised less mature Trent (or whoever) would apply to such a disturbing piece.

It's a bit cringey but it still has nothing on 94-95' Trent's ugly, juvenile fixation on that gross ass Patti Smith song Rock N' Roll N*****, resulting in its appearance on the Natural Born Killers soundtrack and as a cover on Manson's Smells Like Children. Speaking of which, I don't know why that title is printed uncensored on the NBK page of the NIN store and the Smells Like Children page of the discography (where Shitty Chicken Gang Bang, Everlasting Cocksucker, and Fuck Frankie are censored but the n-word is just...there), but whoever manages the website should really fucking change that.

In any case, I'm stoked to see this finally get its vinyl release! Hopefully there may be a download card with the record? Maybe? Who knows but it would be nice.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I saw an article in Forbes (seriously) on my Apple News feed about the Quake soundtrack vinyl release, and they actually linked to the article page and the PDF, so I'm guessing that level of exposure wasn't anticipated. The PDF is still up, but the webpage looked like it was an easier read, did anyone save that?

As I'm sure many are, I'm interested in a printed booklet. I would go about making my own, but I'm sure it's more cost effective to make a bunch at once.

Maybe someone could edit the PDF to make a more readable booklet? Crop the printers info, re-order it, and correct the orientation?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Titles of Songs or Themes (C) 1996 TVT/Interscope Records. All Rights Reserved.
    to reiterate what is in the booklet.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I saw an article in Forbes (seriously) on my Apple News feed about the Quake soundtrack vinyl release, and they actually linked to the article page and the PDF, so I'm guessing that level of exposure wasn't anticipated. The PDF is still up, but the webpage looked like it was an easier read, did anyone save that?

As I'm sure many are, I'm interested in a printed booklet. I would go about making my own, but I'm sure it's more cost effective to make a bunch at once.

Maybe someone could edit the PDF to make a more readable booklet? Crop the printers info, re-order it, and correct the orientation?
    The order and orientation are correct for saddle stitch booklet printing - you print on two pieces of paper, front and back, put them together then fold over and staple along the fold. The inverted Carmack essay is so both essays start on the cover and can be read left-to-right, giving them equal weight. Do you want a version that you can easily read in PDF form that is more linear?
    Last edited by bgalbraith; 09-16-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    The order and orientation are correct for saddle stitch booklet printing - you print on two pieces of paper, front and back, put them together then fold over and staple along the fold. Do you want a version that you can easily read in PDF form?
    I'm not the one you asked, but I'd want that version.
    I'll probably never get this printed, so would love to have a user-friendly version so I could read the essay without rotating it every time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The order and orientation are correct for saddle stitch booklet printing - you print on two pieces of paper, front and back, put them together then fold over and staple along the fold. The inverted Carmack essay is so both essays start on the cover and can be read left-to-right, giving them equal weight. Do you want a version that you can easily read in PDF form that is more linear?
    Yes, a more linear version PDF for easier reading on a computer is what I was getting at, I'm sure a lot of folks would find it easier to read, especially since the webpage version is now gone.

I realize the version they created is what a printer would need to manufacture a double sided/stapled booklet, and that it's made to be flipped around.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I've cropped and reordered the essay booklet for reading as is rather than printing: https://we.tl/t-RTgVNzWcfX
    Last edited by bgalbraith; 09-17-2020 at 12:06 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I've cropped and reordered the essay booklet for reading as is rather than printing: https://we.tl/t-RTgVNzWcfX
    This is great, thanks!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Best news I've seen all week.

I'm all for chipping in for a print run if we can make magic happen.

Eat my ass, Zenimax
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 09-17-2020 at 09:56 AM. Reason: proper blame placement

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Here's a pdf of the original site version of the essay I had made earlier in the day, if anyone wants it:

http://nindestruct.com/misc/quake_essay_html.pdf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    pretty sure trent and co just used the fan made titles instead of thinking of new ones

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Something I noticed is that the tracks occupy sides A-C, which leaves the second side of the second LP empty. I wonder if it'll have a nice etching of the Quake logo, or something else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    natural born killers tracklist is censored in the discography section it looks like

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    natural born killers tracklist is censored in the discography section it looks like
    But not in the store section.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shit Mirror View Post
    This is an excellent question. Here is the earliest mention of them that I could find:
    https://groups.google.com/g/alt.musi...m/0Zj1YNqO0tMJ

So, did someone at Nothing Studios or id Software submit those titles to the CDDB?

Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    pretty sure trent and co just used the fan made titles instead of thinking of new ones
    This is actually the more disturbing possibility. Was @kraw working on the artwork, and he was like, "Hey, wait a minute, where are the track titles? Well, let's see what the Internet says..."?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Also, regarding a group booklet print run, a challenge here I can see already would be shipping. These are meant to be 11"x11", which would be a pain to mail unless it was rolled up, right?
    Hm, not a bad idea. Here are some mailing tubes for $0.60 each: https://www.amazon.com/Aviditi-P2012...dp/B00BT32MOY/

Here are some possibilities for printing:
    https://www.foldfactory.com/offering...oklet-printing
    https://www.atozmedia.com/standard-p...roduct-popup15
    https://www.jakprints.com/record-inserts.html

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    This is an excellent question. Here is the earliest mention of them that I could find:
    https://groups.google.com/g/alt.musi...m/0Zj1YNqO0tMJ

So, did someone at Nothing Studios or id Software submit those titles to the CDDB?

This is actually the more disturbing possibility. Was @kraw working on the artwork, and he was like, "Hey, wait a minute, where are the track titles? Well, let's see what the Internet says..."?
    Doesn’t @kraw update the website? Hopefully he can comment.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Something I noticed is that the tracks occupy sides A-C, which leaves the second side of the second LP empty. I wonder if it'll have a nice etching of the Quake logo, or something else.
    I'm prepared to be disappointed with a totally blank side (The Vietnam War score's vinyl release, which otherwise is excellent, has one) or else completely surprised with something unexpected and awesome.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'm prepared to be disappointed with a totally blank side (The Vietnam War score's vinyl release, which otherwise is excellent, has one) or else completely surprised with something unexpected and awesome.
    *ponders the idea of Trent going full-circle and releasing a vinyl-playable version of the Quake game as track 11 on side D*

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    *ponders the idea of Trent going full-circle and releasing a vinyl-playable version of the Quake game as track 11 on side D*
    This is exactly what they should do! I accidentally blasted myself with that track countless times - it's a part of the experience. I'll be disappointed now when it turns out they haven't done this.