Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 482

Thread: Quake (1996)

  1. #241
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    RE: the song titles

    IIRC they were sourced from the CDDB. ANYBODY can post stuff there so it wouldn't surprise me if TR put them there for people to find. Heck I know of a band who posted unused song titles to one of their Albums to CDDB for shits n giggles.

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,332
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'm prepared to be disappointed with a totally blank side (The Vietnam War score's vinyl release, which otherwise is excellent, has one) or else completely surprised with something unexpected and awesome.
    I think the expanded PHM reissue also has a blank side D. I kind of prefer etchings to that, but at the same time, a blank vinyl side is really perfect for calibrating the tonearm counterweight!

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,694
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I think the expanded PHM reissue also has a blank side D.
    Yep, Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D and Before the Flood are two other NIN-related vinyl albums with blank sides. I was hoping that they would spread the whole Quake soundtrack over four sides, but I trust there was a good reason not to.

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,177
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    With regards to everyone wanting booklets...when Deviations 1 came out, I put the .pdf on a thumb drive and went to my local Kinko's/FedEx Office (not sure what the EU/UK equivalent of that is...) and gave them the file. I picked out a sufficiently heavy paper stock and they made something that, to me, felt as close to official as possible. It cost a bit, but that was a lot of pages. I'd recommend that for folks.
    If people want to print this thing with bleed and saddle-stitch it to match the other releases, they'd need a larger size than most retail printing shops like FedEx Office (formerly Kinko's) or Office Depot (who merged with OfficeMax) can provide, as the file with bleed included would be a minimum of 22.5"x11.5". The size of the PDF on nin.com is 23"x14.25", so you'd likely need to have them printed at a place that uses a litho/offset printer with 28"x40" press sheets (or something close to that) and print them 3-up. As far as I know, the largest paper size at most retail print shops (and the largest their laser printers can handle) is either 11x17 or 12x18, unless you print on a large-format poster printer, but that's really expensive and often can't do double-sided/duplex printing (even if they could, registration would likely be an issue).
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 09-17-2020 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Punctuation/clarification

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Looking forward to reading some reviews about this release. Quake was my introduction to NIN. I love that soundtrack, so it would be great to hear how this remaster sounds.

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    If there is a group print run of the Quake liner notes, I'm in. Just post the pay link.

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,177
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    If there is a group print run of the Quake liner notes, I'm in. Just post the pay link.
    As long as it comes out to be a reasonable price (<$25), me too!

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    If people want to print this thing with bleed and saddle-stitch it to match the other releases, they'd need a larger size than most retail printing shops like FedEx Office (formerly Kinko's) or Office Depot (who merged with OfficeMax) can provide, as the file with bleed included would be a minimum of 22.5"x11.5". The size of the PDF on nin.com is 23"x14.25", so you'd likely need to have them printed at a place that uses a litho/offset printer with 28"x40" press sheets (or something close to that) and print them 3-up. As far as I know, the largest paper size at most retail print shops (and the largest their laser printers can handle) is either 11x17 or 12x18, unless you print on a large-format poster printer, but that's really expensive and often can't do double-sided/duplex printing (even if they could, registration would likely be an issue).
    Kinda wish they would tacked on a few extra bucks on the LP and included it.

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,177
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    Kinda wish they would tacked on a few extra bucks on the LP and included it.
    It was Zenimax Media, which acquired id Software back in 2009, who insisted the booklet not be included. My guess is because the end of John Carmack's essay doesn't paint present day id Software in the most positive light.

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,694
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    ^ The "unauthorized image" screenshots (even pixel'd out) could have something to do with it, too.

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,332
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ The "unauthorized image" screenshots (even pixel'd out) could have something to do with it, too.
    I find it really absurd and, for a lack of a better term, douchey, that one can't even include screenshots of a ~25 year old game.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 09-17-2020 at 01:23 PM. Reason: wow, I can't count.

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,320
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Hopefully this release will clarify who actually worked on the music besides Trent. The essay mentions a few people who were around at the time, but it doesn't outright say they worked on it.

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    If people want to print this thing with bleed and saddle-stitch it to match the other releases, they'd need a larger size than most retail printing shops like FedEx Office (formerly Kinko's) or Office Depot (who merged with OfficeMax) can provide, as the file with bleed included would be a minimum of 22.5"x11.5". The size of the PDF on nin.com is 23"x14.25", so you'd likely need to have them printed at a place that uses a litho/offset printer with 28"x40" press sheets (or something close to that) and print them 3-up. As far as I know, the largest paper size at most retail print shops (and the largest their laser printers can handle) is either 11x17 or 12x18, unless you print on a large-format poster printer, but that's really expensive and often can't do double-sided/duplex printing (even if they could, registration would likely be an issue).
    can confirm. i just called my local FedEx Office and Staples and they're not able to do it. so if anybody has access to this kind of printer, i'm more than willing to pay for a copy.

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I find it really absurd and, for a lack of a better term, douchey, that one can't even include screenshots of a ~25 year old game.
    As well as, the essay itself, isn't a total bash on ID software. I'm sure worse has been said of them on the interwebs.

  15. #255
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    2,582
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I find it really absurd and, for a lack of a better term, douchey, that one can't even include screenshots of a ~25 year old game.
    Why would anyone buy the game when they already got the screenshots for free?

    /s

  16. #256
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,332
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Holy fuck, this is already shipping.

  17. #257
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,381
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Holy fuck, this is already shipping.
    Whoever gets theirs first better answer the download card question, lol.

  18. #258
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,098
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I find it really absurd and, for a lack of a better term, douchey, that one can't even include screenshots of a ~25 year old game.
    Wouldn't the screenshots fall under fair use? seems bizarre.

    It's like getting upset over promotional materials being used or items from a press kit.

  19. #259
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,486
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Hopefully this release will clarify who actually worked on the music besides Trent. The essay mentions a few people who were around at the time, but it doesn't outright say they worked on it.
    Chris Vrenna did, pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere before.

  20. #260
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    2,166
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Wouldn't the screenshots fall under fair use? seems bizarre.

    It's like getting upset over promotional materials being used or items from a press kit.
    They might do, but TR probably needs zenimax consent to use the quake name and logo, so If they put their foot down over the booklet for whatever reason they might have been able to spike the release.

  21. #261
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Idly, Carmack's essay is from 2 years ago, so that says something about how long this was in process (he formally left Oculus not that long ago). I wonder how much of the delay here was entirely due to Zenimax legal vs the usual "soon."

  22. #262
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    2,582
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    Idly, Carmack's essay is from 2 years ago, so that says something about how long this was in process (he formally left Oculus not that long ago). I wonder how much of the delay here was entirely due to Zenimax legal vs the usual "soon."
    I recall the With Teeth essay being dated a few years before it was actually released too. It seems all of the essays were created around the time the definitive editions were first made known (2016?), even for those that were listed as "coming soon".

  23. #263
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,240
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    For printing out these booklets, you're going to want to go to a real deal print shop. In Philly, I'd probably reach out to either Fireball or Marathon Printing.

    I'm incrrrrredibly busy right now with work stuff, I didn't even get my order in on the vinyl until last night. If you can wait a month or two, I might organize something, and if I do, the details will be in the Donor's Lounge, for reasons similar to why Uncoiled started off life there.

    And like the more recent Uncoiled digipak, if I did something like this, I would budget the whole thing out, order a fixed quantity, and sell until I had about 18 leftover, and feel really bad about not sending MAD his copies yet. In fact, I wouldn't start this project until I mailed MAD his Uncoiled digipaks, because that's how I process guilt.

    I'd consider doing it on higher quality paper than what's been included in the other DE vinyl, depending on the impact to cost. Like with the digipaks, I'd keep it very close to cost, with a few cents overage per item to cover the inevitable lost or damaged shipments.

    If someone else beats me to it, I'm not gonna do it. But if no one else does, you know I'll do it right... but I don't move fast.

  24. #264
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Hopefully this release will clarify who actually worked on the music besides Trent. The essay mentions a few people who were around at the time, but it doesn't outright say they worked on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Chris Vrenna did, pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere before.
    Yeah, there was an interview with Chris where he said all of NIN worked on it, then that was corroborated by American McGee in 2011:
    https://www.quaddicted.com/interviews/americanmcgee

  25. #265
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    ... a blank vinyl side is really perfect for calibrating the tonearm counterweight!
    Do you mean anti-skate?

  26. #266
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ajax, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    225
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ordered yesterday and already have a tracking number!!!

  27. #267
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,332
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryG View Post
    Do you mean anti-skate?
    Lol, sure did! I do tend to have a blank vinyl whenever I'm making adjustments with anything though haha

  28. #268
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    2,166
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I hope this shows up in other stores

  29. #269
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Did anyone download the interview booklet file who can post a link or PM me with it? It's already been removed from the product page. I'm assuming they got a Cease and Desist (as they 100% knew they would).

    EDIT: Someone sent me a copy! Here's the link: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/24...f?v=1600226971
    Last edited by minusthesnake; 09-17-2020 at 07:30 PM.

  30. #270
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I hope this shows up in other stores
    All of the other vinyl reissues have ended up on Amazon and in stores 2-4 months later, I'm sure these will too.

    I'm holding out for that, since it will be much cheaper and 4 out of 5 times I get damaged jackets from the official NIN store and it's a whole long back and forth to get replacements. I did end up with a $380 credit to the NIN store a few years ago due to a series of fuck ups they made though!

Posting Permissions