Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Quake (1996)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear78 View Post
    Did anyone take the essay file somewhere to get printed (or did it online)? If so, any recommendations?
    Was just wondering this myself. Want to get it printed to put in the jacket, nut I have no idea where to get that done...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I also got one of the booklets from the guy on the FB group and confirm it's a quality print job. They printed the file that was reconstructed over on Reddit and the paper was actually nicer (thicker & glossy) than the paper used on the official Definitive Editions. They even shipped it flat in a super sturdy mailer, so it was 100% pristine/mint.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I also got one of the booklets from the guy on the FB group and confirm it's a quality print job. They printed the file that was reconstructed over on Reddit and the paper was actually nicer (thicker & glossy) than the paper used on the official Definitive Editions. They even shipped it flat in a super sturdy mailer, so it was 100% pristine/mint.
    Same here and its my understanding that he no longer has any and is not planning on doing another run. I'm glad I got one while he had them because its a great print job.

I also don't typically put fan created items on nincatalog but I did add this since its official in the sense that it was provided by the NIN camp

https://nincatalog.com/printed-artwo...us-other-1793/

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spahn; 06-13-2021 at 07:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quake is being re-released for modern consoles. No mention of the soundtrack here, though.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by explodey View Post
    Quake is being re-released for modern consoles. No mention of the soundtrack here, though.

https://www.pcgamer.com/quake-remake-available/

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    New theme song from TR? Yes please!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    New theme song from TR? Yes please!
    It's the classic one, but it seems that Code Orange will be releasing a cover of the theme song tomorrow.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    this tweet specifically mentions the soundtrack.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    OG Quake is also now free on Xbox Gamepass.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    So glad PS4 is getting the love with this release

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This is awesome news. I just downloaded Quake on a sale like a month ago, but it had major issues when I tried to run it.

I just ran it again with the new update, and it looks great! It still looks like a 25 year-old game, mind you, but a very smooth and pretty version of it.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I thought it was worth noting that the version of the soundtrack included with this "remastered" game version is identical to the original CD-ROM version, down to the frame, with the exception of the last track which has exactly 2 seconds added. I can take more detailed comparison screenshots if anyone requires them:

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    The last 2 weeks have been great for me so this is a cherry on an ice-cream sundae on a hot chocolate fudge cake!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I thought it was worth noting that the version of the soundtrack included with this "remastered" game version is identical to the original CD-ROM version, down to the frame, with the exception of the last track which has exactly 2 seconds added. I can take more detailed comparison screenshots if anyone requires them:

So, it's not the remastered soundtrack that was released last year? Curious why they wouldn't use the remastered audio in the remastered game.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Curious why they wouldn't use the remastered audio in the remastered game.
    Maybe Trent wouldn't let them, in exchange for them not allowing usage of certain images in the booklet

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So, it's not the remastered soundtrack that was released last year? Curious why they wouldn't use the remastered audio in the remastered game.
    Having played 30-45 minutes of the game, it feels like they were mainly interested in making it playable in 2021 rather than giving it a full remaster treatment, so I can't imagine replacing the music was high on their list of priorities.

I'm guessing the main impetus behind this was to put feelers out and see if people are interested in Quake coming back as a single player Doom-like (rather than just limiting it to the multiplayer free-for-all it's become). So a low effort re-release makes sense as opposed to putting a ton of time and money into making it look and feel modern.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Having played 30-45 minutes of the game, it feels like they were mainly interested in making it playable in 2021 rather than giving it a full remaster treatment, so I can't imagine replacing the music was high on their list of priorities.

I'm guessing the main impetus behind this was to put feelers out and see if people are interested in Quake coming back as a single player Doom-like (rather than just limiting it to the multiplayer free-for-all it's become). So a low effort re-release makes sense as opposed to putting a ton of time and money into making it look and feel modern.
    Nah, it's a legit remaster. They redid the animations, added detail to some textures, added ambient occlusion, added dynamic lighting, revamped the baked lighting, added a weapons wheel, etc. Nightdive is just really good at staying true to the original in all of their remasters.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Code Orange covered the theme.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post

Code Orange covered the theme.
    Love these guys, would play a Mudman mod for Quake.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Not sure if this is posted anywhere but Limited Run Games will have physical release for you collectors out there...

https://limitedrungames.com/search?t...,page&q=quake*

If this link doesn't work Search "limited run games" on that web site search "quake".

Physical release for PS4 (playable on PS5) and Switch in the flavors of Regular ($30), Deluxe (Steal book) ($80) and Ultimate (Nail Gun Ammo Box and Steel Book) ($175). I'm going to grab the Deluxe version for PS4 I think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Calling this a "low effort re-release" tells me you haven't bothered to spend much time with this game at all. This is a deeply thoughtful and great homage to the original.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    Calling this a "low effort re-release" tells me you haven't bothered to spend much time with this game at all. This is a deeply thoughtful and great homage to the original.
    I said in my post I had only played 30-45 minutes. I also haven’t played the original in probably 20 years.

What I meant was that the latest trend is taking old games and completely polishing them to look like they came out yesterday. This was clearly not that but rather an attempt to make a 1996 game feel like a 1996 game but with the right improvements to make it playable and enjoyable today.

After someone else corrected me above, I loaded up the original and did indeed realize how much they improved upon from the original — like I didn’t remember you couldn’t even aim up and down; I knew Doom was like that, but I thought that had changed by Quake.

So again, I didn’t mean low-effort in a disrespectful way; I just meant that they made the choice to keep it as a retro game instead of trying to make it feel brand new.

I finished the game this week and am on to the DLC. It’s been such a joy revisiting a big part of my teen years, and I definitely appreciate the work that went into making this happen.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    After someone else corrected me above, I loaded up the original and did indeed realize how much they improved upon from the original — like I didn’t remember you couldn’t even aim up and down; I knew Doom was like that, but I thought that had changed by Quake.
    I'm not sure what this means. You could definitely aim up and down in Quake.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    I'm not sure what this means. You could definitely aim up and down in Quake.
    Huh. I loaded the original and couldn’t. Weird.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    In the original version, you needed to press a key to use "mouse look". In source ports this is turned on by default.

So, is the remastered version worth getting? Did anyone here buy it? I watched a video on YouTube, but it looks identical to the original to me.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    Did anyone here buy it? I watched a video on YouTube, but it looks identical to the original to me.
    I ordered the physical copy for PS4 from Limited Run Games. I ended up getting the regular version. I won't get it for a loooong while.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    In the original version, you needed to press a key to use "mouse look". In source ports this is turned on by default.

So, is the remastered version worth getting? Did anyone here buy it? I watched a video on YouTube, but it looks identical to the original to me.
    Ah, gotcha.

The remaster should be free if you have the original on Steam. But yeah, I had a great time with it. As I said above, it still feels like the original but with improved visuals and some quality of life improvements that make it play nicely in 2021.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    +mlook in the console or add it to the end of of the autoexec.cfg file.