Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake (1996)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Has anyone got a reliable way to get the soundtrack to play with Quake on Steam?

This might be a tech question

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Did you buy the game there out of the blue? You're in for some work. They got guides, for example, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=119489135

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Did you buy the game there out of the blue? You're in for some work. They got guides, for example, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=119489135
    I have the CD, but I'm on Win10 so that's just not gonna happen. I realised I've had it in my library forever, tried playing it and no audio

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Last time i played this was on the SEGA Saturn...that's going back a bit!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Has anyone got a reliable way to get the soundtrack to play with Quake on Steam?

The best way to do this on a modern computer is to use a source port of Quake, not the official release. I'm away from my computer right now, but when I have access to it I'll let you know my set up to play it. If I recall correctly, it wasn't very difficult, and it doesn't require a CD at all if you have digital music files.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Okay, here it is: https://mega.nz/#!sYEiSSYA!65Dq0zyaZ...m-uqC1fXg-b-f0

It comes with the soundtrack, so you don't need a CD or files. All you do is run the unpacker in the folder you want, then run the .bat file it unpacks in that folder. It uses the source port DarkPlaces which you can read about here :https://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/
    It's essentially exactly the same as the original release, but runs on an updated engine with more options. This is the only way I've played Quake for years; it's hard to go back after you get all the new rendering and key-binding options. If you run into any problems, there's a FAQ on the site to help and to explain some of the new options.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Hopefully you at least caught the joke in my post...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Okay, here it is: https://mega.nz/#!sYEiSSYA!65Dq0zyaZ...m-uqC1fXg-b-f0

It comes with the soundtrack, so you don't need a CD or files. All you do is run the unpacker in the folder you want, then run the .bat file it unpacks in that folder. It uses the source port DarkPlaces which you can read about here :https://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/
    It's essentially exactly the same as the original release, but runs on an updated engine with more options. This is the only way I've played Quake for years; it's hard to go back after you get all the new rendering and key-binding options. If you run into any problems, there's a FAQ on the site to help and to explain some of the new options.
    I played through it using darkplaces about a decade ago, it was quite a treat.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    'NOTHING EVER ENDS' off of WATCHMEN: VOL 3 could TOTALLY be a track for Quake.

The breathy vocals of TR on this track remind me a lot of this track...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Listening to my rip today.

When/if this ever comes to NIN.com, it’ll have to be a 2LP because it’s an hour (vinyl can only hold 45 minutes).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    'NOTHING EVER ENDS' off of WATCHMEN: VOL 3 could TOTALLY be a track for Quake.

The breathy vocals of TR on this track remind me a lot of this track...
    "Trespasser" from the extended Bird Box score would work well, also.

Kind of a weird request, but can someone point me towards a version that has not been de-emphasized? I have a later version which does not have pre-emphasis applied.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    More than anything, I'm really hoping that when this eventually gets released Trent finally gives all of the tracks official names.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    "Trespasser" from the extended Bird Box score would work well, also.

Kind of a weird request, but can someone point me towards a version that has not been de-emphasized? I have a later version which does not have pre-emphasis applied.
    I'll PM you a link to a rip I did of my 1.01 CD (PREEMPH flag) with "cdparanoia" which, so far as I can tell, does not apply de-emphasis. But you may wish to confirm that. I'd be interested if you can (and/or any comparisons you produce)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I'll PM you a link to a rip I did of my 1.01 CD (PREEMPH flag) with "cdparanoia" which, so far as I can tell, does not apply de-emphasis. But you may wish to confirm that. I'd be interested if you can (and/or any comparisons you produce)
    The catalog number for my release is 1000463.201.US (back of jewelcase); 1000463.221.US (from back of booklet). Mine came in a bigger box packaged with the 2 expansion/content updates, purchased from Sam's Club. I've already confirmed that my disc is Quake v1.08, WinQuake v1.09, and GLQuake ? (should be the latest version); it does not contain pre-emphasis and appears to be a completely different pressing. There are slight millisecond differences in the tracking (which ends up just being silence), and the data track shows as 4.5x times the length in EAC.

I plan on posting all my logs here when I'm done. I'm ripping with the latest EAC, EAC v0.95 prebeta 3, dBpoweramp, iTunes, and CDParanoia. Is there any other program you'd like me to try when comparing our rips?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I think the delay in the release of the vinyl is due to TR having trouble naming the tracks... just my opinion.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    I think the delay in the release of the vinyl is due to TR having trouble naming the tracks... just my opinion.
    I swear they're trying to make a good glitch track with the game data as track 1.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Or they're just trying to include every alternate names in one, like

5. "It is grisly freezing, vertico raped grotto"

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I would really not be surprised to learn that the reason we've had no news about the Quake soundtrack is Bethesda being dicks. Or maybe given the success of the two recent Doom games they want to do a similar reboot and ask TR to score again, leading to the album being re-released to coincide with a new game.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ...ripping my disc without pre-empasis now as iTunes rips apparently don't account for this...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Or maybe given the success of the two recent Doom games they want to do a similar reboot and ask TR to score again, leading to the album being re-released to coincide with a new game.
    That would be awesome, but as much fun as Quake II and Quake 4 were (I loved the grotesque humanoid-merged-with-machine look of the Strogg), I would REALLY like to see them return to the style, mood, and satanic-church-meets-medieval-castle aesthetic of the first game.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 01-16-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    ...ripping my disc without pre-empasis now as iTunes rips apparently don't account for this...
    I hadn't gotten around to trying with iTunes yet. Which version of iTunes did you use? If I remember correctly, it properly de-emphasized at some point.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I hadn't gotten around to trying with iTunes yet. Which version of iTunes did you use? If I remember correctly, it properly de-emphasized at some point.
    The latest version, aka “Music”

my rip from Apple Music sounds muted but my XLD rip sounds brighter and fuller.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    The latest version, aka “Music”

my rip from Apple Music sounds muted but my XLD rip sounds brighter and fuller.
    Oh, Mac? iTunes absolutely applies de-emphasis unless we're talking a 15+ year old computer. Also, the more muted rip should (always) be correct when comparing pre-emphasis/de-emphasis rips.

It's much harder to tell on something like this, but instantly stands out in genres like Jazz, or brass-heavy music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Made a full tracklist out of StockAvuryah's idea because why not lol

1. Persian Inversion of the Quake
    2. Aftermath of the Life Beneath it All
    3. Start of Whispers in the Hall of Souls
    4. It is a Grisly Freezing, Vertigo Raped Grotto
    5. Journey into the Parallel Dimensions of Slipgate Complex
    6. Underearth Hammer
    7. Icy Damnation from the Castles
    8. Necropolitan Focus or Maybe Peace?
    9. Falling into Ziggurat with Violence Inside
    10. The Reaction to the Death Inside the Gloom Keep
    Last edited by Wulgaren; 01-18-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Oh, Mac? iTunes absolutely applies de-emphasis unless we're talking a 15+ year old computer. Also, the more muted rip should (always) be correct when comparing pre-emphasis/de-emphasis rips.

It's much harder to tell on something like this, but instantly stands out in genres like Jazz, or brass-heavy music.
    Sent you a PM to compare

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    Made a full tracklist out of StockAvuryah's idea because why not lol

1. Persian Inversion of the Quake
    2. Aftermath of the Life Beneath it All
    3. Start of Whispers in the Hall of Souls
    4. It is a Grisly Freezing, Vertigo Raped Grotto
    5. Journey into the Parallel Dimensions of Slipgate Complex
    6. Underearth Hammer
    7. Icy Damnation from the Castles
    8. Necropolitan Focus or Maybe Peace?
    9. Falling into Ziggurat with Violence Inside
    10. The Reaction to the Death Inside the Gloom Keep
    That's it now we'll have the vinyl next week, wonderful

I particularly like Necropolitan Focus or Maybe Peace? Maybe?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quad facepalm is not enough to react to those ^^^

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quad facepalm is not enough to react to those ^^^
    It wouldn't save you from your own ego

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    My ego won't suffer at all if the soundtrack release would come without fancy titles

-- edit --
    i mean, there's a certain kind of beauty in labels on the records that just read: Quake soundtrack by nine inch nails. Side A. Quake soundtrack by nine inch nails. Side B. etc.
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 01-20-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    My ego won't suffer at all if the soundtrack release would come without fancy titles
    Just retag them to whatever generic names you prefer, no?