Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: Quake (1996)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    In the original version, you needed to press a key to use "mouse look". In source ports this is turned on by default.
    You could also hit two separate "look up" and "look down" keyboard keys. But it was possible to get through the whole campaign without ever looking up and down, iirc; at least, on Easy.

It's like discovering a whole new world once you embrace the 3D though

Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    So, is the remastered version worth getting? Did anyone here buy it? I watched a video on YouTube, but it looks identical to the original to me.
    I've inherited the remaster on Steam, but haven't got it to load yet (on Linux so it's not just "click play"). I don't remember ever buying Quake on steam in the first place but I must have done. I've still got my 1.01 CD from 1996 and I just use the data from it with source ports normally... anyway, I've gone ahead and bought it for Switch. If you are a fan of Quake it's worth it, it's a fun version. There's some nice modern tweaks that even the source ports don't have (on the other hand, there's plenty of features we've had in the source ports for years that it *doesn't* have). The Quake 64 add-on is a cool little addition. I haven't played the modern Machinegames expansions nor re-played the original ones yet but they're all included. You get split screen MP, bots built-in, and cross-platform network multiplayer. The switch has gyro controls if you like that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I thought it was worth noting that the version of the soundtrack included with this "remastered" game version is identical to the original CD-ROM version, down to the frame, with the exception of the last track which has exactly 2 seconds added. I can take more detailed comparison screenshots if anyone requires them:
    Thanks Jon I suspected you would have looked into this. Can you clarify (I can't grok your screenshot, it shows the original '96 pre-emph and a '98 no-pre-emph rip, but not a new one?), does the new Remaster have the pre-emph-flag-set-but-no-pre-emph-applied audio, and did you already determine that this was "wrong"? I think we should try and get this summarized on the Wiki. (Happy to do the writing)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Is there still a way to grab one of those printed Quake score booklets? Getting back into the game has made me get the score on vinyl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Is there still a way to grab one of those printed Quake score booklets? Getting back into the game has made me get the score on vinyl.
    NotoriousTIMP was trying to get a run going but the company he was working with axed it.

QUAKE Liner Notes Print Run (echoingthesound.org)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear78 View Post
    NotoriousTIMP was trying to get a run going but the company he was working with axed it.

QUAKE Liner Notes Print Run (echoingthesound.org)
    Bummer. Well...I brought the Deviations PDF to get printed on my own, so I guess I'lll do that again. Thanks!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This is the guy who did the run in the "NINE INCH NAILS - COLLECTING AND TRADING" Facebook group. You can reach out and see if he has any more or is planning on doing another run:

https://www.facebook.com/jaison.chahwala

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    This is the guy who did the run in the "NINE INCH NAILS - COLLECTING AND TRADING" Facebook group. You can reach out and see if he has any more or is planning on doing another run:

https://www.facebook.com/jaison.chahwala
    Excellent, will do!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Bummer. Well...I brought the Deviations PDF to get printed on my own, so I guess I'lll do that again. Thanks!
    Where did you get the Deviations pdf printed at? I'd like one of those.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    Where did you get the Deviations pdf printed at? I'd like one of those.
    I put it on a thumb drive and went to a FedEx/Kinkos. Picked my paper stock and they printed it. It wasn't cheap, but that packaging was fucking bullshit.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I put it on a thumb drive and went to a FedEx/Kinkos. Picked my paper stock and they printed it. It wasn't cheap, but that packaging was fucking bullshit.
    I guess this is headed off topic, Sorry... my last question regarding Deviations pdf... at least here... did you get it printed as a booklet or album flat cards?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    I guess this is headed off topic, Sorry... my last question regarding Deviations pdf... at least here... did you get it printed as a booklet or album flat cards?
    Booklet! Turned out beautiful. Here's the link: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWn8hDAFhpL/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    FYI – the guy on the "NINE INCH NAILS - COLLECTING AND TRADING" Facebook group who made the first batch of Quake booklets is gauging interest for a second run for Black Friday. If you want one, maybe go express your interest there.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    FYI – the guy on the "NINE INCH NAILS - COLLECTING AND TRADING" Facebook group who made the first batch of Quake booklets is gauging interest for a second run for Black Friday. If you want one, maybe go express your interest there.
    Replied! Thanks for the heads up!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I joined the group but can't see a post that discusses this. Would you mind sending me a PM with more info?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I joined the group but can't see a post that discusses this. Would you mind sending me a PM with more info?
    It’s under the “Discussion” tab. Here’s a direct link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wrote this on reddit few weeks ago but forgot to do it here.
    Anybody else did swap ingame music to remastered version?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stlkr View Post
    I wrote this on reddit few weeks ago but forgot to do it here.
    Anybody else did swap ingame music to remastered version?
    It never occurred to me to do this.... thanks! going to swap those files this weekend.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The unofficial official Quake booklets are available again.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ninc...57857511059566

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is Quake a good game? I’m somewhat interested into getting it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GastonKappa View Post
    Is Quake a good game? I’m somewhat interested into getting it.
    Yes. I mean, it's over 25 years old by now, but it was absolutely revolutionary in the gaming world and inspired a bunch of other games and so many games were built with the Quake engine. It wasn't quite as impactful on the industry as its predecessor Doom, but it still made a massive impact, I'd say. It was the first truly 3D game in the FPS genre, if I'm not mistaken. I would certainly recommend it, but go in knowing/remembering that it's an older game. I think the game-play holds up and the recent remaster really improves on it, while preserving what made it so great back in 1996.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Now is a great time to check out quake, the remaster came out late last year and it’s great. the switch edition is fantastic if you have one or those.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Folks may have missed this interview with Chris Vrenna about the Quake soundtrack that was posted a couple weeks ago.

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/...s-chris-vrenna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good watch. Especially if you weren't around at the time.