Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake (1996)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    And to think of all the old games that had midi music and users had to select appropriate driver for their soundcard, that choice could really make or break the game

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    OK the good news is @BenAkenobi 's copy is correctly mastered. I've pulled together some scrappy draft notes and stuff here http://jmtd.net/quake/ - but in short, the freq analysis of the beginning of track 2 (first audio track) is identical between Ben's copy and a rip of mine with cdparanoia, which is a pre-empt-aware ripper (so it did de-emphasis on the cd audio after ripping).

I have a graph of a bad rip I can put up (which doesn't account for the preemph flag), plus some accuraterip checksums, more details about how various rippers handle etc. - I also want to overlay the freq analysis of a good and bad rip to highlight the difference.
    Huh..never heard of that software, but definitely need to look more into it. The site I found shows the last release as 10.2 from 2008. And only for Linux. Is that accurate? Happen to know if there's a handy Windows equivalent or if someone makes Windows builds?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    Huh..never heard of that software, but definitely need to look more into it. The site I found shows the last release as 10.2 from 2008. And only for Linux. Is that accurate? Happen to know if there's a handy Windows equivalent or if someone makes Windows builds?
    It's probably accurate, yeah, but other rippers do similar things to cdparanoia. I just used it because I was sat at a Linux machine at the time. I'd stick to EAC on Windows, as the AccurateRip database is the only sure-fire way to guarantee a good rip, at least for releases that are in the AccurateRip database. (even with the techniques cdparanoia uses, it's still impossible to guarantee the rip is correct.) iTunes on Mac or Windows has a "use error correction" option which I think does basically the same thing as cdparanoia.

On Linux, there's a ripper called 'morituri' that does cdparanoia-like things and queries the AccurateRip DB.

I'm still not 100% sure precisely how EAC handles pre-emphasis flags, but it seems that it does...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The new nin site has tracklistings for all the albums visible. Except Quake. So there goes my hope at some point of having official track titles

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    dont think he ever named them when he composed them

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    That's irritating to me also.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I just hope one doesn't end up being "it is raped". Urgh.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I love that the site links to ninwiki for more info. Surprising that it also links to some rando's YouTube channel where you can listen to the whole thing, though. I guess it makes sense if it's not something you can buy anymore.

How cool would it be to have a vinyl of this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Please allow me to re-animate this thread.

So the other week I learned about this whole "pre-emphasis"-dilemma, and then suddenly it all became clear to me: I always wanted to like this record, but I physically despise listening to it. To me it just sounded shitty, like sound quality from a dark era of soundcards. Then when Trent updated his blog last christmas, I was amazed to read him actually comment on it, like we'll try to make it available again.

Long story short:

There's seems to be a legal way to get this record, apparently id software uploaded the image of the original shareware-cd on Archive.org a few years ago. As far as they're concerned, this stuff is still free and meant to be distributed, they only claim copyright on the folders that would contain their paid ip (as in: the level data of the later levels and enemies), which are not contained in this image. No clue what their licencing agreement with Nine Inch Nails was.

As for the de-emphasizing: In a nutshell, this was a technique developed for first generation cd-players who were still strugglig with delivering the higher notes properly; so a method similar to dolby noise reduction was devised - cds were produced with boosted trebles which the record player would then (hopefully) de-emphasize. I can only speculate why id Software would do that in 1996, but maybe CD-Rom-drives, soundcards and especially computer speakers back then weren't much to write home about either...

Anyway: EAC on a windows detected the pre-emphasize on a burned copy of above mentioned shareware-disc, but after the rip none of the tracks could be varified with their database. Maybe I was supposed to click something and didn't. However: I was told that apparently iTunes has this superior pre-empashize detection, so I ended up using that ripping the disc to wave and then finish the conversion to flac later. The result: Sounds nice!

A simple way to check if your rip is emphasized is the 8:18 min track "The Hall of Souls" aka "Conscience" aka "Start/Whispers". If you listen to it through head- or earphones and you feel a disturbing sensation of tiny twigs breaking somewhere in the general area of your neck... then your rip is fucked. See above.

Cool game btw. I remember it fondly - although it was 'verboten' in my country... ;-)
    Last edited by Henrie_Schnee; 02-24-2017 at 05:02 AM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    OK, so after listening to track 4 due to the post above, I was reminded of something I've been wondering about. It kind of sounds to me like the "problems do have solutions, you know" spoken line from TDS (the song) might have been sampled for this track, all chopped up and downpitched and just generally fucked with. Does anyone else think that?

Also, as I've mentioned before in this thread and never got any input from anyone, I strongly think track 2 samples the screaming from TDS as well.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quake's going to get a vinyl release (yay) - this means we're going to finally have tracknames, so get ready to update your ID3 tags #priorities https://store-uk.nin.com/collections...s-day-ost-1xlp

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Quake's going to get a vinyl release (yay) - this means we're going to finally have tracknames, so get ready to update your ID3 tags #priorities https://store-uk.nin.com/collections...s-day-ost-1xlp
    I have on my "O" face...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I'm sure you've thought about this, but given the super minimalist presentation of Deviations, I'd say there's a reasonable chance the Quake LP is the cover art on the front, the minimum required amount of copyright, personnel, etc. info on the back... and nothing else. Track names will never exist, and you will be doomed to ever wander the chambers of this earth.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I'm sure you've thought about this, but given the super minimalist presentation of Deviations, I'd say there's a reasonable chance the Quake LP is the cover art on the front, the minimum required amount of copyright, personnel, etc. info on the back... and nothing else. Track names will never exist, and you will be doomed to ever wander the chambers of this earth.
    I considered this, but it'll come with digital downloads!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I considered this, but it'll come with digital downloads!
    You sure? I bought Prick, Lost Highway, and Hesitation Marks from the new store and have zero digital downloads to show for it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    You sure? I bought Prick, Lost Highway, and Hesitation Marks from the new store and have zero digital downloads to show for it.
    Trent said Patriots Day would be vinyl + hi-res as usual, so there's a good chance it'll come with digital downloads.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    So it turns out the pre-release multiplayer-only test release, QTest, has higher quality sound effects than the final game, also alternatives and unused sound effects in the PAK file. I'm exploring now.
    Do you still happen to have the .zip for this? The two links you posted no longer work (sound.zip / sounds.zip).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Do you still happen to have the .zip for this? The two links you posted no longer work (sound.zip / sounds.zip).
    Probably! I'll have a good look Tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder, actually; I forgot to look into this further.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    It's here now https://jmtd.net/t/sound.zip

It also contains a CSV with fields filename, frequency, sample size and corresponding bitrate.

What I haven't done yet is match any of those up to final game sound effects and/or build a mod that upgrades the sound where possible.

Edit: there is/was a Quake mod called "MindGrid" which sourced some of the sound effects from commercial sound effect libraries (which supplied them in higher quality than was mixed down for the final quake sound effects). I haven't had a chance to try it, because the copy I found had been remuxed into a PK3 for some engine or other that supports those, but QuakeSpasm (the one I use) does not.
    Last edited by jmtd; 07-12-2017 at 06:05 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Edit: there is/was a Quake mod called "MindGrid" which sourced some of the sound effects from commercial sound effect libraries (which supplied them in higher quality than was mixed down for the final quake sound effects). I haven't had a chance to try it, because the copy I found had been remuxed into a PK3 for some engine or other that supports those, but QuakeSpasm (the one I use) does not.
    If it's the same .zip I have, the .pk3 file was made specifically for ezQuake.

MediaInfo reports all of the sounds are 1-channel PCM @ 16-bit/44.1kHz (avg. bitrate of 705kbps for all files).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quite possibly my favorite video game soundtrack. It beats anything released in the past 10 - 15 years, IMHO all these new games have similar sounding soundtracks with their orchestral arrangements. Soundtracks from games made in the '90s were so unique and original.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    On the UK store, it’s graduates from “coming soon” to “out of stock”

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quake is also my all time fav; I still listen to the OST often.

If you like gaming tracks check out Frank Klepacki, he does some good stuff Here's one of my favs by him from the 90's Command and Conquer; the bass line makes the song... for the longest time I never even heard the bass as I had crappy PC speakers.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I was jonesing about this still not existing on vinyl when remembered that several tracks are on the "dead souls" bootleg that I own but have never span. So I did this weekend.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Annoyed helpdesk recently about this, still no word if anyone's wondering

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Question Unpacking the CD image

Quote Originally Posted by Henrie_Schnee View Post
    There's seems to be a legal way to get this record, apparently id software uploaded the image of the original shareware-cd on Archive.org a few years ago. As far as they're concerned, this stuff is still free and meant to be distributed, they only claim copyright on the folders that would contain their paid ip (as in: the level data of the later levels and enemies), which are not contained in this image. No clue what their licencing agreement with Nine Inch Nails was.
    I think I found the right package, it's called "msdos_Quake_1996". I managed to download the CD data (.bin/.cue file) and mounted the image, so that I can access the files. The problem is that I still don't see any music. Should there be .wav files? Are they hidden in another archive (e.g. there is a file called "resource.1" which I cannot open)? Or do I really have to burn a physical CD and rip it with a suitable program? I noticed that the .bin file is much larger than the folder that emerges.

Does anyone here have any idea? It would be much appreciated!

Edit: I converted the Quake.bin to an .iso file and found the music as cdr audio raw data. Now I can convert to FLAC/mp3!
    Last edited by SchwarzerAbt; 12-10-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    This is the quake soundtrack, not doom.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    This is the quake soundtrack, not doom.
    Looking for wordplay in year+ old posts? Faulty attempt at a joke there, buddy.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I know, I didn't see the date until I had already posted.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I know, I didn't see the date until I had already posted.
    Hopefully you at least caught the joke in my post...