Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Results 511 to 540 of 558

Thread: Quake (1996)

  1. #511
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ballston Spa, New York
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear78 View Post
    Did anyone take the essay file somewhere to get printed (or did it online)? If so, any recommendations?
    Was just wondering this myself. Want to get it printed to put in the jacket, nut I have no idea where to get that done...

  2. #512
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,618
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I also got one of the booklets from the guy on the FB group and confirm it's a quality print job. They printed the file that was reconstructed over on Reddit and the paper was actually nicer (thicker & glossy) than the paper used on the official Definitive Editions. They even shipped it flat in a super sturdy mailer, so it was 100% pristine/mint.

  3. #513
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    880
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I also got one of the booklets from the guy on the FB group and confirm it's a quality print job. They printed the file that was reconstructed over on Reddit and the paper was actually nicer (thicker & glossy) than the paper used on the official Definitive Editions. They even shipped it flat in a super sturdy mailer, so it was 100% pristine/mint.
    Same here and its my understanding that he no longer has any and is not planning on doing another run. I'm glad I got one while he had them because its a great print job.

    I also don't typically put fan created items on nincatalog but I did add this since its official in the sense that it was provided by the NIN camp

    https://nincatalog.com/printed-artwo...us-other-1793/


    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spahn; 06-13-2021 at 08:12 AM.

  4. #514
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quake is being re-released for modern consoles. No mention of the soundtrack here, though.

  5. #515
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    5,990
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)

  6. #516
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,322
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by explodey View Post
    Quake is being re-released for modern consoles. No mention of the soundtrack here, though.


    https://www.pcgamer.com/quake-remake-available/

  7. #517
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    New theme song from TR? Yes please!

  8. #518
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    New theme song from TR? Yes please!
    It's the classic one, but it seems that Code Orange will be releasing a cover of the theme song tomorrow.

  9. #519
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    5,990
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    this tweet specifically mentions the soundtrack.


  10. #520
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ballston Spa, New York
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    OG Quake is also now free on Xbox Gamepass.

  11. #521
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    880
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    So glad PS4 is getting the love with this release

  12. #522
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    5,990
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)

  13. #523
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,596
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This is awesome news. I just downloaded Quake on a sale like a month ago, but it had major issues when I tried to run it.

    I just ran it again with the new update, and it looks great! It still looks like a 25 year-old game, mind you, but a very smooth and pretty version of it.

  14. #524
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brbr Deng
    Posts
    2,382
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I thought it was worth noting that the version of the soundtrack included with this "remastered" game version is identical to the original CD-ROM version, down to the frame, with the exception of the last track which has exactly 2 seconds added. I can take more detailed comparison screenshots if anyone requires them:


  15. #525
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,289
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    The last 2 weeks have been great for me so this is a cherry on an ice-cream sundae on a hot chocolate fudge cake!

  16. #526
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,618
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I thought it was worth noting that the version of the soundtrack included with this "remastered" game version is identical to the original CD-ROM version, down to the frame, with the exception of the last track which has exactly 2 seconds added. I can take more detailed comparison screenshots if anyone requires them:

    So, it's not the remastered soundtrack that was released last year? Curious why they wouldn't use the remastered audio in the remastered game.

  17. #527
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,858
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Curious why they wouldn't use the remastered audio in the remastered game.
    Maybe Trent wouldn't let them, in exchange for them not allowing usage of certain images in the booklet

  18. #528
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,596
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    So, it's not the remastered soundtrack that was released last year? Curious why they wouldn't use the remastered audio in the remastered game.
    Having played 30-45 minutes of the game, it feels like they were mainly interested in making it playable in 2021 rather than giving it a full remaster treatment, so I can't imagine replacing the music was high on their list of priorities.

    I'm guessing the main impetus behind this was to put feelers out and see if people are interested in Quake coming back as a single player Doom-like (rather than just limiting it to the multiplayer free-for-all it's become). So a low effort re-release makes sense as opposed to putting a ton of time and money into making it look and feel modern.

  19. #529
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    633
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Having played 30-45 minutes of the game, it feels like they were mainly interested in making it playable in 2021 rather than giving it a full remaster treatment, so I can't imagine replacing the music was high on their list of priorities.

    I'm guessing the main impetus behind this was to put feelers out and see if people are interested in Quake coming back as a single player Doom-like (rather than just limiting it to the multiplayer free-for-all it's become). So a low effort re-release makes sense as opposed to putting a ton of time and money into making it look and feel modern.
    Nah, it's a legit remaster. They redid the animations, added detail to some textures, added ambient occlusion, added dynamic lighting, revamped the baked lighting, added a weapons wheel, etc. Nightdive is just really good at staying true to the original in all of their remasters.

  20. #530
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stowe, VT
    Posts
    1,277
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)


    Code Orange covered the theme.

  21. #531
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post


    Code Orange covered the theme.
    Love these guys, would play a Mudman mod for Quake.

  22. #532
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Not sure if this is posted anywhere but Limited Run Games will have physical release for you collectors out there...

    https://limitedrungames.com/search?t...,page&q=quake*

    If this link doesn't work Search "limited run games" on that web site search "quake".

    Physical release for PS4 (playable on PS5) and Switch in the flavors of Regular ($30), Deluxe (Steal book) ($80) and Ultimate (Nail Gun Ammo Box and Steel Book) ($175). I'm going to grab the Deluxe version for PS4 I think.

  23. #533
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    149
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I'm guessing the main impetus behind this was to put feelers out and see if people are interested in Quake coming back as a single player Doom-like (rather than just limiting it to the multiplayer free-for-all it's become). So a low effort re-release makes sense as opposed to putting a ton of time and money into making it look and feel modern.
    Calling this a "low effort re-release" tells me you haven't bothered to spend much time with this game at all. This is a deeply thoughtful and great homage to the original.

  24. #534
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,596
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    Calling this a "low effort re-release" tells me you haven't bothered to spend much time with this game at all. This is a deeply thoughtful and great homage to the original.
    I said in my post I had only played 30-45 minutes. I also havenít played the original in probably 20 years.

    What I meant was that the latest trend is taking old games and completely polishing them to look like they came out yesterday. This was clearly not that but rather an attempt to make a 1996 game feel like a 1996 game but with the right improvements to make it playable and enjoyable today.

    After someone else corrected me above, I loaded up the original and did indeed realize how much they improved upon from the original ó like I didnít remember you couldnít even aim up and down; I knew Doom was like that, but I thought that had changed by Quake.

    So again, I didnít mean low-effort in a disrespectful way; I just meant that they made the choice to keep it as a retro game instead of trying to make it feel brand new.

    I finished the game this week and am on to the DLC. Itís been such a joy revisiting a big part of my teen years, and I definitely appreciate the work that went into making this happen.

  25. #535
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,897
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    After someone else corrected me above, I loaded up the original and did indeed realize how much they improved upon from the original — like I didn’t remember you couldn’t even aim up and down; I knew Doom was like that, but I thought that had changed by Quake.
    I'm not sure what this means. You could definitely aim up and down in Quake.

  26. #536
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,596
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    I'm not sure what this means. You could definitely aim up and down in Quake.
    Huh. I loaded the original and couldnít. Weird.

  27. #537
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Huh. I loaded the original and couldn’t. Weird.
    In the original version, you needed to press a key to use "mouse look". In source ports this is turned on by default.

    So, is the remastered version worth getting? Did anyone here buy it? I watched a video on YouTube, but it looks identical to the original to me.

  28. #538
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    Did anyone here buy it? I watched a video on YouTube, but it looks identical to the original to me.
    I ordered the physical copy for PS4 from Limited Run Games. I ended up getting the regular version. I won't get it for a loooong while.

  29. #539
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,596
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    In the original version, you needed to press a key to use "mouse look". In source ports this is turned on by default.

    So, is the remastered version worth getting? Did anyone here buy it? I watched a video on YouTube, but it looks identical to the original to me.
    Ah, gotcha.

    The remaster should be free if you have the original on Steam. But yeah, I had a great time with it. As I said above, it still feels like the original but with improved visuals and some quality of life improvements that make it play nicely in 2021.

  30. #540
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brbr Deng
    Posts
    2,382
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Huh. I loaded the original and couldn’t. Weird.
    +mlook in the console or add it to the end of of the autoexec.cfg file.

Posting Permissions