Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake (1996)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    And...we finally have confirmation on who worked on the album. Clouser, Finck, Lohner, Reznor, and Vrenna.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Added Quake Soundtrack to nincatalog. Still waiting for actual vinyl images but the bulk of details can be found here: https://nincatalog.com/films-and-sou...-vinyl12-1681/

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Weird timing, so Microsoft is buying Zenimax all of a sudden. I wonder if the vinyl production and negotiations had waited just a bit longer if Microsoft would have been cool with the booklet stuff?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Very weird to see the Nothing Records logo on this. I guess since the music was produced while NIN was with Interscope, it makes sense to fall under that domain, but it's still odd to see whenever that label gets resurrected for something like this.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    First Watchmen and now Quake with the no downloads? Doing me a big HURT mister Reznor.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Side D has Linux quake client source code etched into it
    And not just any code, but the specific code that starts playing the CD music in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    Very weird to see the Nothing Records logo on this. I guess since the music was produced while NIN was with Interscope
    Yes, Interscope owns the music.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I thought that's what that code was for, looking at what was linked. very cool.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Specifically, the code includes a subroutine to disallow playing Track 1 (the non-audio data portion of the disc)!

nincatalog has been updated with images, and this link to the original code.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Over in the Reddit thread where we're trying to recreate the booklet with the unauthorized images (which is actually going really well, by the way), someone pointed out that one of the missing images was a magazine ad. I found this page that has a fairly low-resolution image of the ad in question and also lists the ad agency responsible (DDB of Dallas, TX, which makes sense since id Software operated out of Mesquite, TX), as well as the art director on the project. Someone from the thread has already reached out to the art director to see if he'd be able to help supply a high-resolution file/image, but I figured I'd mention it here as well just in case anyone here is a hoarder with a stack of magazines from 1996 in their house.

TLDR: Does Anyone have a copy of this ad they could scan so we have a high-res file?

Last edited by sonic_discord; 09-21-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I think the no downloads issue with both this and Social Network and Watchmen are that they are works for hire essentially, not just NIN music. They likely don't control the rights to the music in the same way as their own, so they probably negotiated licenses to create physical releases for each, but downloads are probably a different story all together.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I mean all their scoring work is essentially work for hire and that hasn't stopped the vast majority of them (Gone Girl, Before The Flood, The Vietnam War, Bird Box / Null 09) from having a digital format included in their purchase. I thought the many rightholders involved in Watchmen might have hampered it getting any digital distribution and it seems fair to assume that the same unnamed company that hampered the physical release of Quake may have stood in the way of a digital format being included, but I'm still surprised and confused that even The Social Network would be unable to include a download. It's too bad in any case, would have loved to had a digital version of these remasters included in the release but I'm happy to see these records get pressed regardless.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I don’t understand why there aren’t even download cards. Almost every record has a download card these days. It feels dumb to not include them, especially when Quake is remastered.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I don’t understand why there aren’t even download cards. Almost every record has a download card these days. It feels dumb to not include them, especially when Quake is remastered.
    Likely to do with licensing costs.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
    Likely to do with licensing costs.
    Quake wasn't licensed. It's an Interscope release that Interscope owns, just like TDS, The Fragile, Broken, Deviations, and With Teeth.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Quake wasn't licensed. It's an Interscope release that Interscope owns, just like TDS, The Fragile, Broken, Deviations, and With Teeth.
    Oh okay, it's probably just cheaper then.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Does anyone have a picture of the spine?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Did anybody receive a tracking number that actually works? I got mine on Friday and haven't been able to track anything with it

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Does anyone have a picture of the spine?
    Not yet. I also have not seen a large view of any of the vinyl either.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr9inchnail View Post
    Did anybody receive a tracking number that actually works? I got mine on Friday and haven't been able to track anything with it
    I don't think any North American orders have actually shipped. Mine's been in "Label Created" status with USPS since Thursday. Hopefully they start going out this week.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't think any North American orders have actually shipped. Mine's been in "Label Created" status with USPS since Thursday. Hopefully they start going out this week.
    Mine just keeps saying thisUPS could not locate the shipment details for this tracking number. Details are only available for shipments made within the last 120 days. Please verify your information.

I'll feel better if it said "label created" :P

*EDIT* Looks like I should have just waited a bit longer. Packaged received for processing.
    Last edited by mr9inchnail; 09-22-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post

Did you guys find one? I've been looking through retromags.com and the Internet Archive for scanned mags from that year to no avail.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm glad I cancelled my order if there's no digital option included. That was the main reason I ordered it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Did you guys find one? I've been looking through retromags.com and the Internet Archive for scanned mags from that year to no avail.
    Not really. This and this are the best versions so far. Thanks for trying, though!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I'm glad I cancelled my order if there's no digital option included. That was the main reason I ordered it.
    I'm still hoping that Trent just quietly sends everyone who ordered the vinyl an email with digital links included.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Or Seed0 makes a mysterious appearance.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Or Seed0 makes a mysterious appearance.
    Seed 0.5

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Was anyone here in a clan? I was in a couple and did a few clan wars. Good ole' days.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I played a LOT of Doom, Doom II, Quake, Heretic, Hexen, Hexen II, Marathon 2: Durandal, and Duke Nukem 3D, but mostly only single-player. It really wasn't until Unreal Tournament and Quake III Arena that I played shooters online, but I was never in a clan. I played the original StarCraft and WarCraft III online quite a bit, too.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Was anyone here in a clan? I was in a couple and did a few clan wars. Good ole' days.
    My brother and his friend were part of Cow Clan. His friend was... nine? Regularly got kicked under suspicion of being a bot, given his prowess firing an unscoped sniper rifle (in OG Team Fortress, IIRC)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I was briefly in a clan but I never took that stuff too seriously. That clan is still going! I played a lot of half life DM, but before that I had wet string Internet so didn’t get much quakeworld in.