Thread: Quake (1996)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The catalog number for my release is 1000463.201.US (back of jewelcase); 1000463.221.US (from back of booklet). Mine came in a bigger box packaged with the 2 expansion/content updates, purchased from Sam's Club. I've already confirmed that my disc is Quake v1.08, WinQuake v1.09, and GLQuake ? (should be the latest version); it does not contain pre-emphasis and appears to be a completely different pressing. There are slight millisecond differences in the tracking (which ends up just being silence), and the data track shows as 4.5x times the length in EAC.

I plan on posting all my logs here when I'm done. I'm ripping with the latest EAC, EAC v0.95 prebeta 3, dBpoweramp, iTunes, and CDParanoia. Is there any other program you'd like me to try when comparing our rips?
    Wow thanks, cool. I don't think we/I/you need any more rips, but the question I really want to try and answer is, was the pre-emphasis flag set intentionally, or was it a production error?

I.e, does applying de-emphasis to the data on my 1.01 CD produce something audibly equivalent to a straight rip of your later CD? If not, which is wrong?

Since the de-emphasis step is not a perfect digital process, we won't get 1:1 streams but hopefully they're close enough to be ably to audibly tell whether it has been applied or not, or close enough that some kind of frequency analysis clearly shows whether they're close.

My theory is: If the later pressings without the pre-emphasis flag set are roughly equivalent in terms of frequency distribution to a de-emphasised copy of the original pressing, then the flag was set intentionally and that is the "correct" audio. If the audio stream (w/o applying de-emphasis) on the original and later pressing are equivalent, then the pre-emphasis flag was set in error and the audio should never have been de-emphasised.
    Last edited by jmtd; 01-20-2020 at 08:36 AM.