Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Learning Math

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Learning Math

hi guys, i really need to learn math, now i am extremely embarrassed that i can just about do simple math, and i mean very simple math, does anyone have any advice?
    i live in the UK but i doubt that should make any difference, i honestly don’t wanna pay for a tutor.
    please any help, advice would be greatly appreciated, but sensible replies please.
    thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Do you know of the game Cribbage (or Crib)?

Because it uses maths to tabulate ongoing points, and playing cards are used as a type of "flashcard", I felt it helped me a lot to be fluent with certain addition and multiplication in rapid calculations.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Repetition, repetition, repletion.

I myself am not great at math. I struggled with it when I was younger. But, these days, I teach middle school math in a learning disability class.

I recommend watching videos on youtube, and writing along with it. Do it over and over, until it starts to click, even if it takes time.

math-aids.com is a site you can go to where you can generate worksheets based on skill level, topic etc. I recommend those for practice.

khan academy is a place with free online courses too.

the important thing is, to never beat yourself up and never give up.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Do you know of the game Cribbage (or Crib)?

Because it uses maths to tabulate ongoing points, and playing cards are used as a type of "flashcard", I felt it helped me a lot to be fluent with certain addition and multiplication in rapid calculations.
    ah excellent, i’ll look into this thank you lots

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Repetition, repetition, repletion.

I myself am not great at math. I struggled with it when I was younger. But, these days, I teach middle school math in a learning disability class.

I recommend watching videos on youtube, and writing along with it. Do it over and over, until it starts to click, even if it takes time.

math-aids.com is a site you can go to where you can generate worksheets based on skill level, topic etc. I recommend those for practice.

khan academy is a place with free online courses too.

the important thing is, to never beat yourself up and never give up.
    thanks for the info, yeah i did look at khan academy, but very quickly, i think i’ll sign up see what they have to help

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just wanted to mention Adult Education. I'm in the UK too and did a GCSE Maths in 2019. They offer functional skills courses too. Well worth looking in to to see if anything suits. Depending on your circumstances these courses can be free of charge too.
    I had a terrible phobia around numbers but I understand more now. Hope you find something that works for you.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_Munn View Post
    Just wanted to mention Adult Education. I'm in the UK too and did a GCSE Maths in 2019. They offer functional skills courses too. Well worth looking in to to see if anything suits. Depending on your circumstances these courses can be free of charge too.
    I had a terrible phobia around numbers but I understand more now. Hope you find something that works for you.
    excellent, thanks so much for that, i’ll definitely look into it

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The only way I could learn math is 1:1 with a tutor. I need someone to guide me, step-by-step.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    The only way I could learn math is 1:1 with a tutor. I need someone to guide me, step-by-step.
    yeah this is what i’ve actually been thinking

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Sal Khan is your friend. Got me through high school, stuck with me in college, I'll probably name a cat after him someday.

He has a massive catalogue of educational videos covering a wide array of topics, chief among them math. All free.

https://www.khanacademy.org/