Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

The Cooking Thread

If you’re like myself, you have a passion around the stove. Share some of your favorite recipes, cooking tips, cooking music (perhaps? I have a few songs).

Tonight I tried this new recipe. Tweaked it by tossing in some olives. Really turned out quite good.

https://www.laaloosh.com/2013/07/10/...hicken-recipe/

I did so while my music was on shuffle. Some standouts include “Beside You In Time” from With Teeth, “Welcome Oblivion” from Welcome Oblivion, “A Minute To Breathe” from Before the Flood, “Procedural” from Gone Girl, and “Young Men Dead” from Passover.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Looks great!

I love to cook as well. Food Network is always almost on all the time on our TV if there is nothing else on that we want to watch.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Beef Tacos:
    1 lb. ground beef
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    2 tsp. ground coriander
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    ½ cup chopped onions
    ½ tsp. salt
    1 cup grated cheddarcheese
    6 soft taco shells

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Brown your garlic, use more than called for . Keep things simple don't muddy up your recipes. Use real butter(unsalted), use salt. Keep some cheap wine handy, as well as other boozes. Don't get too caught up in following a recipe to exacting specifications unless you are baking. Tweak shit if you think it may need it. Use a good solid saute pan that you can toss in the oven. There is no shame in hotdish/casserole. Whenever possible light them pans up as in the above gif, never gets old. Yell at serving staff when necessary not when you're just feeling crabby.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Don't get too caught up in following a recipe to exacting specifications unless you are baking. Tweak shit if you think it may need it.
    I’m a firm believer in this. My recent tweak for a recipe was for Kung Pao chicken which asked for dried red chiles. Though, I had the toughest time finding them while scouring multiple grocery stores, so I decided to substitute with fresh Santa Fe peppers. The chicken was so spicy, I was sweating while eating it. It was glorious. Yeah, never be beholden to a recipe.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    If you like Indian food, definitely give this Butter Chicken a try. So easy too.
    https://go.zliving.com/article/5b577...butter-chicken

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I need to start taking pictures, but i think i've mastered roast pork with perfect crackling! Least the last 2 Sundays have been perfect. Only a small cheap joint (enough for one) but yeah the crackling has been awesome, just hard enough to crunch but also moist enough and tasty.

I'll go for round 3 this week and make sure it is not a fluke!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I will always love chopping and dicing and browning and throwing it all in a slow cooker. It's one of the best ways to start a relaxing day off. But for the last year or so, I've been growing more and more fond of sous vide cooking as well. Quality steaks and Mediterranean turkey burgers are my favorites so far.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The one thing I hate about cooking: cleaning up. I don't have a dish washer either.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Have any of you checked out or heard of Misfits Market? My friend introduced me to it - you basically get mailed different kinds of organic fruits and vegetables every 2 weeks for about $20. The reason why it's called Misfits is because they pick all the fruits and vegetables that are not-so-pretty looking or dinged up, but are still good. My friend sent me pictures of her deliveries and she gets a lot of stuff and they don't really look that bad at all! I'm going to try it out. Not bad for $20, especially all organic.

https://www.misfitsmarket.com/

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I need to start taking pictures, but i think i've mastered roast pork with perfect crackling! Least the last 2 Sundays have been perfect. Only a small cheap joint (enough for one) but yeah the crackling has been awesome, just hard enough to crunch but also moist enough and tasty.

I'll go for round 3 this week and make sure it is not a fluke!
    Just gotta keep trying to nail it every time. I cook so I'm familiar with this mindset.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Bought these today. I know a fair bit about how but not necessarily why. Also I'm eating at home more now and fail at thinking outside my usual what's easy and basic mentality. Also I've been curious about veggie dishes hence forks over knives which I honestly didn't realize until I bought it. It was really a veggie hash recipe that caught my eye.