Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact Disc Collectors Lament

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

The Chemical Brothers - No Geography (Japan Edition) with 3x bonus tracks. Fantai is an earlier, more dancefloor version of Got To Keep On without the main vocal, MAH (Electronic Battle Weapon Version) was a vinyl exclusive and I personally prefer it over the album mix, and Got To Keep On (Extended Mix) which is so far exclusive to this CD at the moment.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Collected a few super rare (300 printed) Sinatra live albums from 1992 and 1994.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

And with this, I now have the first four Mediæval Bæbes albums (and their first Christmas album and their most recent album of nursery rhymes). I'll probably be picking up the entire discography eventually but this will do me for now (okay, I am planning on the purchasing their second Christmas album next month...).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    PREORDERED!

The Chemical Brothers
    Surrender 20th Anniversary 3CD+DVD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TD9TY..._cSxODb9AKB8AT

There's also a 2CD edition and a 4LP+DVD set.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The discussion in the Warchmen thread really annoys me.

I have lived in different kinds of flats so far. One was in a basement and very humid. We had problems with mold on the walls and on our stuff. The next one was a little better, but still too humid. Now I live in a very dry flat, but there are issues with mice and moths. All of that is almost not a problem at all with my CD collection, apart from some minor stains on one or two cases. But I imagine it would be a nightmare with vinyl. Also moving between the flats is much easier.

Apart from that CDs are MUCH cheaper than vinyl. Hell, on amazon they are often even cheaper than mp3 albums and you get the auto-rip anyway. Plus a physical package, with a nice booklet and lyrics/artwork (if you're lucky).

So... I don't understand why I should stop buying CDs. And the completionist in me wants to own all thing TR on CD.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwarzerAbt View Post

I have lived in different kinds of flats so far. One was in a basement and very humid. We had problems with mold on the walls and on our stuff. The next one was a little better, but still too humid. Now I live in a very dry flat, but there are issues with mice and moths. All of that is almost not a problem at all with my CD collection, apart from some minor stains on one or two cases. But I imagine it would be a nightmare with vinyl. Also moving between the flats is much easier.

Apart from that CDs are MUCH cheaper than vinyl. Hell, on amazon they are often even cheaper than mp3 albums and you get the auto-rip anyway. Plus a physical package, with a nice booklet and lyrics/artwork (if you're lucky).

So... I don't understand why I should stop buying CDs. And the completionist in me wants to own all thing TR on CD.
    Yes, it's really unfortunate and I don't get it, they can't be losing money by pressing a few limited edition CDs, look at tool. Nin fans will eat this up so fast but no, vinyl vinyl vinyl. I think it's time to create a cd collectors club and press our own CDs of these vinyl only releases.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwarzerAbt View Post

I dunno... for the first time since 1986, Vinyl is outselling CD. It's just an outdated format without much to offer. If you want the artwork etc, the vinyl has a better representation generally, and it comes with a digital download now almost all the time. Additionally, you'd have to have a pretty extremely humid environment to do real damage to properly stored vinyl records, and if the main draw is the packaging, the listening medium doesn't matter really. With high-def downloads, the CD is identical really, and at least the vinyl sounds different.

I can see feeling nostalgic about it if it's the format you primarily grew up with... collector stuff is a different thing, and if you're a collector, you're going after vinyl and cassette tapes too. It's getting harder to even find devices that play CDs, with them being phased out of modern video game systems and a lot of newer car stereos.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jinsai View Post
    Vinyl is... Just an outdated format without much to offer.
    ftfy.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Disappointing that The Watchman won't be available on disc, but whatever. I'll just download it and burn myself a copy.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I was thinking about this and, whilst i was annoyed they'd be no CD (Watchmen), i thought about for a second and realised...i don't even HAVE a CD player anymore!

I haven't had a Hi-fi for a decade, and my only CD player was on my PC, but i removed it a few years ago for more hard drive space. If there was a CD i'd have just looked at it it for all of 2mins and thrown it under the bed with the rest of the CD's (most of which i've already sold for space, just keeping the ones i really love, everything is on my HD and backed up) and there's very few places that even sell CD's anymore (for me). My local supermarket (sainsbury's) doesn't sell music CD's anymore...but they do have a collection of vinyl.

Having a physical product is important for me, but i'd happily take the vinyl with all it's extra artwork that i can do something display-wise with then a CD, the only pain being the price, as i can't play either anyway. But that is just me, i don't expect this to apply to everyone.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    ftfy.
    Except larger area to present art and packaging ideas, and it sounds different than a lossless digital download...

Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I was thinking about this and, whilst i was annoyed they'd be no CD (Watchmen), i thought about for a second and realised...i don't even HAVE a CD player anymore!
    Yeah, my only CD player in the strict sense now is in my car
    Last edited by Jinsai; 10-22-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Except larger area to present art and packaging ideas, and it sounds different than a lossless digital download...
    Yes, it has such a 'warm' sound.

CLICK crackle pop CLICK CLICK crackle pop CLICK CLICK crackle pop CLICK CLICK crackle pop CLICK

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    That's a yes and a no. The 24-bit WAVs that NIN put out sound as good at the vinyl to my ears. Now, the 16-bit WAVs that others put out don't quite get there for me... and of course, it still depends on how the music itself was mastered and how the vinyl was produced and mastered to go with it (shitty pressings are shitty).

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    CLICK crackle pop CLICK CLICK crackle pop CLICK CLICK crackle pop CLICK CLICK crackle pop CLICK
    Clean your records.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    That's a yes and a no. The 24-bit WAVs that NIN put out sound as good at the vinyl to my ears. Now, the 16-bit WAVs that others put out don't quite get there for me... and of course, it still depends on how the music itself was mastered and how the vinyl was produced and mastered to go with it (shitty pressings are shitty).
    I don't feel that vinyl sounds really "better" or worse... but it does sound very different (and good) if the lacquer is cut by a badass.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    CD lovers should just keep annoying Trent and co. to press some CDs.

I tried vinyl, the only positive thing I got from it is the artwork.

Having to constantly switch sides and swap records out just to listen to a single album is annoying and takes me out of the album experience.

Having audible noise, pops, crackles not featured on the source audio.

I've gone mostly lossless/hi-res digital, but I still buy CDs occasionally, especially Japan editions with bonus tracks.

But 24 bit lossless is like having the studio masterer hand you the album directly. No downgrading or altering of audio whatsoever. You can't get any closer to the source audio than that... or go and sit in the studio as the album is mastered.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Having to constantly switch sides and swap records out just to listen to a single album is annoying and takes me out of the album experience.
    I can see that, but to me it places some focus and attention to the listening experience. It's less passive. And the vinyl lacquer cut is made from the highest definition digital render (if the audio source is digital, which it almost certainly is now with some exceptions), generally now 24 bit 96k

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I've pretty much stopped caring about the lack of disc releases lately from TR & AR on the score front, i mean how many are there now? Patriots Day, Bird Box, mid90s, Before the Flood.

I've come to terms with it, I expect it. Won't whine about it anymore, it is what it is.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I still think NTAE came out on CD because enough people complained about it not being released on CD initially

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I still think NTAE came out on CD because enough people complained about it not being released on CD initially
    And I still think the amount of Add Violence/Bad Witch I've seen in record shops says it all about why we're not getting CDs.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Shitty deal for the people loosing their collections here, but just reinforces why it's so important maintain a physical collection that stays in your possession.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/13/...?ICID=ref_fark

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    And I still think the amount of Add Violence/Bad Witch I've seen in record shops says it all about why we're not getting CDs.
    Here's what Trent could do:
    In advance, put a pre-order link on the website for the CD. This guarantees the customer will get a copy. Press that many, plus maybe 1000 more maximum, just in case of fuck-ups. If any are left, sell them on the website on the side as a limited edition.
    If they sell like crazy and there's still demand, just do another print run.
    Everyone's happy.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Awesome article about the reality of the vinyl vs CD sales argument of late:
    https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/f...-january-2020/

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Finished ripping all of my CDs again using EAC with settings I trust. I saved all of the booklets and inserts for discs which wouldn't rip, and threw away the discs and cases; I lost about 30 releases.

Ready to free up some space and get these CDs out of here.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    For the eco-obsessed folks out there like myself, you can recycle unusable CDs/DVDs (and sometimes cases) with these peeps:
    https://www.cdrecyclingcenter.org/
    https://www.backthruthefuture.com/free-cddvd-recycling/
    Last edited by piggy; 03-06-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Finished ripping all of my CDs again using EAC with settings I trust. I saved all of the booklets and inserts for discs which wouldn't rip, and threw away the discs and cases; I lost about 30 releases.

Ready to free up some space and get these CDs out of here.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    For sure, send them to me. I'll even pay for shipping.

As long as they rip and play, I don't want disc rotted CDs.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    If anyone's throwing out CDs from the great electronic acts of the 90s, you best message me first. Like SM Rollinger shipping and packing will be covered.