Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact Disc Collectors Lament

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    Because what’s the point of CDs when digital files far exceed that quality? Blu-rays exist because it’s impossible to get the same quality from streaming/digital files on your computer.

I can get SUPERIOR quality at 24/96 w/ digital files while I’m limited to 16/44 with CD. And then I can get lossless analog quality AND the artwork in a better size with a physical medium that retains value.

CDs are obsolete. Sell them while there is any value left, you’re about to end up with cassettes.
    I can't tell the difference between listening to a CD and streaming. And I don't want a virtual collection--so for me, CDs are the way to go.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The NIN secondary market for CDs is all over the place in terms of selling price. Most are over $1 but some are going for as high as $20 (not counting limited editions).

For some reason my Canadian edition of "Broken" is selling stupidhigh... and I'm straining to believe it's because it has 3 lines of text and not 4.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I was thinking about CD prices, and I always thought that it would've been best if all CDs were under $10.00 and double albums no greater than $20.00 by 2005-2007 and so forth. Even back in the early 2000s, I somehow felt that having to pay over $15.00 for 1 CD was pushing it. It feels like for anything above $15.00 should come with 2 CDs or more should it get closer and beyond the $20.00 mark, with all tax included.

But now more than ever it seems like it's best for CDs to be no greater than $10.00, tax included. (I actually meant this all with tax, since something can actually be $13.99 or $14.99, but a 10 dollar bill and a 5 dollar bill still wouldn't be enough for it.)

As for Broken, it always seemed like it should also be no greater than $10.00, but I didn't mind paying at least $9.99 to $11.99 for Broken.

The highest price I saw for The Fragile was also $24.99 at best buy. The lowest was around $17.99 to $15.99 on Amazon. In FYE, The Fragile was also around $19.99 to $21.99.

And it's also crazy how high CDs can sometimes go on Amazon... although I get that it's also due to rarities, but still. For $30.00 or higher, I better get a good 5 to 10 albums deep at the very least.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-08-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Yeah, I remember reading an article several years back that said that CD prices were going to come down (to no higher than $10 for a single album, IIRC) in order to stay competitive with MP3s. I guess that effort got curtailed by the fact that not long after that, full quality downloads (FLAC, etc.) became common and preferred by many people.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Im going to be collecting CD's till I die. Even if they stop being manufactured, most if what I buy is used anyways.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    also, @ninsp , I'm not a video guy so I'm not 100% sure of this, but I can stream 4k video from services like Netflix, and that exceeds Bluray.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm not a video guy so I'm not 100% sure of this, but I can stream 4k video from services like Netflix, and that exceeds Bluray.
    Resolution is double for 4K. However, bitrate for Netflix Ultra HD streaming is around 15-16 Mbps, whereas a Blu-ray averages 20-30 (probably closer to 25-35 now) with a max bitrate of 40 Mbps.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    also, @ninsp , I'm not a video guy so I'm not 100% sure of this, but I can stream 4k video from services like Netflix, and that exceeds Bluray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Resolution is double for 4K. However, bitrate for Netflix Ultra HD streaming is around 15-16 Mbps, whereas a Blu-ray averages 20-30 (probably closer to 25-35 now) with a max bitrate of 40 Mbps.
    Yup, Blu-ray will always be higher quality versus streaming. Don't get me wrong 4K streaming looks pretty damn good, but watching a Blu-ray is superior.

As for music, I still buy CDs every now and then, especially when I am collecting an artist's discography and something is not available lossless digitally. My CD buying dropped when 16/44 lossless downloads became more available. Plus we now have 24 bit hi-res. I wish artists would go back and reissue their catalog in hi-res. I'd rebuy many of the artists I love to get their stuff in 24 bit. Also, Japan's CDs usually come with bonus tracks, which also leads me to still buy CDs.
    Last edited by neorev; 03-09-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I still really love buying CDs because A) I buy a lot of used ones, which means that I frequently get the music cheaper than I would with a download and B) if I later decide that I don't like something I can sometimes resell it and partially recoup the "loss", which can't be done with downloads.
    Last edited by piggy; 03-09-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Recent additions, 2.99 a piece! I lost my copy of Greater Wrong of the Right years ago
    (this is my first time posting something from the imgur acct I made, let me know if it's not working.)
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 03-19-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Recent additions, 2.99 a piece! I lost my copy of Greater Wrong of the Right years ago
    (this is my first time posting something from the imgur acct I made, let me know if it's not working.)
    As a casual SP fan, I had no idea a Spasmolytic EP existed. My favourite Puppy song. Because of your post, I just hunted down and purchased a copy. Thanks! ♥

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Picked up the entire 72-show 2000 tour bootleg series from Pearl Jam on eBay last week for $620 shipped. SUCH a good deal. Seller shipped on Saturday from Miami using USPS Media Mail...and it's out for delivery in Denver right now.

I'm so glad to finally have the full set. I had 57 of them back in the day and ended up selling them because I was a poor college student and needed the cash more than I needed the music.
    Last edited by klyrish; 03-25-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Picked up the entire 2000 tour bootleg series from Pearl Jam on eBay last week for $620 shipped. SUCH a good deal. Seller shipped on Saturday from Miami using USPS Media Mail...and it's out for delivery in Denver right now.

I'm so glad to finally have the full set. I had 57 of them back in the day and ended up selling them because I was a poor college student and needed the cash more than I needed the music.
    That's hardcore

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    That's hardcore
    I really wish Trent would do this.

...and simultaneously am so glad he doesn't because I couldn't afford it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Glad to STILL be able to buy new CD'S at Best Buy, even after they said they would stop selling them.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just a few new additions...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Picked up the entire 72-show 2000 tour bootleg series from Pearl Jam on eBay last week for $620 shipped. SUCH a good deal. Seller shipped on Saturday from Miami using USPS Media Mail...and it's out for delivery in Denver right now.

Oh holy hell, that's nice! I think I have 40 of them. Well maybe 39½. Sadly I have misplaced Portland disc 2. Maybe I'll be able to get all of them before CD's completely go away ha.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Just ordered some rare "brand new and factory sealed" CDs off discogs...The seller claims they have small holes on the barcodes...I could care less about the small holes on the barcodes. My only concern is that they are new/sealed.....Who usually does the drilling in the barcodes? is it the record company/manufacturer who does it (on the new/sealed ones).....is it possible to have new/factory sealed CDs with small holes in the barcodes or is that bullshit?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Who usually does the drilling in the barcodes? is it the record company/manufacturer who does it (on the new/sealed ones).....is it possible to have new/factory sealed CDs with small holes in the barcodes or is that bullshit?
    In my experience, it's usually the warehouse where the stock is being kept. It goes something like this, the label orders many units to be manufactured, sales to not go the way as planned and then they write-off of the overstock and destroy the ability for it to be scanned at sale but drilling a hole in the UPC/barcode. And then the warehouse manager has to get rid of the over-stock, usually by just throwing it out but sometimes employee's take the "destroyed" stock for themselves (to enjoy or resell on the secondary market, like garage sales or Discogs). The cellophane wrap is usually left intact, because it's such a small hole.

So, the label decides.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Not something I would do, but that sounds awesome. So many shitty bootlegs out there, cool of PJ to take control over their live material.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Found this. Surprised I never knew this was a thing when it first came out.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotha52 View Post
    Found this. Surprised I never knew this was a thing when it first came out.
    i owned that for some reason, despite having never heard arcade fire before i bought it (and not really enjoying the album once i did). i just thought it looked cool and i'm a sucker for special edition packaging. i'm...weird.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Hey you guys: so, last weekend... I went and bought the Velvet Underground Matrix Tapes CD set. In a RECORD STORE! It was kooky, I tell ya.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Everyday there's less and less record stores and the ones that still exist only carry crap like "Twenty One Pilots" or "Imagine Dragons"; but i can't buy the new Rammstein or new Bad Religion albums because "they are not in stock", Fuck That!

/Rant

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Hey you guys: so, last weekend... I went and bought the Velvet Underground Matrix Tapes CD set. In a RECORD STORE! It was kooky, I tell ya.
    Nice find. The Quine Tapes are good too.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Everyday there's less and less record stores and the ones that still exist only carry crap like "Twenty One Pilots" or "Imagine Dragons"; but i can't buy the new Rammstein or new Bad Religion albums because "they are not in stock", Fuck That!

/Rant
    In this area, Best Buy is just about worthless. Barnes & Nobles has always had a better selection of jazz and electionic music. I ended up finding Both Sides of the Sky by Jimi Hendrix at Wal-Mart. And yes, every Imagine Dragons release was right by it.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    In this area, Best Buy is just about worthless. Barnes & Nobles has always had a better selection of jazz and electionic music. I ended up finding Both Sides of the Sky by Jimi Hendrix at Wal-Mart. And yes, every Imagine Dragons release was right by it.
    What good are record stores if they are going to stock the exact same things!?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    $2 dolla holla

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Good pick up! "At night" live is great

TIL there's a 2-disc "Show"!
    Last edited by jmtd; 07-09-2019 at 02:27 AM.