Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact Disc Collectors Lament

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Doing a rough count, I think I have another 400 albums on CD left to encode.................. well, I won't get bored at least.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I try to only buy digipaks at this point...
    I prefer digipacks and digisleeves/wallets/gatefolds too. I hate jewel cases.

Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Love how they look, but they are designed to get beaten up so fast, but i do prefer them over Jewel cases.
    Pick up some resealable sleeves. I got all my digipacks and digisleeves/wallets/gatefolds protected in plastic sleeves.

For Chemical Brothers fans, I highly suggest the Modern Masters editions of Exit Planet Dust, Dig Your Own Hole, Surrender, Come With Us, and Brothers Gonna Work It Out. They replicated the vinyl editions in CD form, like mini LPs, but also thicker cardstock.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Surely some of have some of these, right?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm kinda surprised how much I still like thos Goth compilations... never really listened to them much so doing this deep dive into 90s Goth culture again is fun...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I'm kinda surprised how much I still like thos Goth compilations... never really listened to them much so doing this deep dive into 90s Goth culture again is fun...
    You gotta get this one. More industrial...

https://www.discogs.com/Various-A-Tr...y/master/14633

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    You gotta get this one. More industrial...
    I'm not really that much a fan of The Prodigy to appreciate others covers of them... but I'll keep your comments in mind if I see it out in the wild.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    but do you have this beauty? https://www.discogs.com/Various-A-Li...release/874411

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    but do you have this beauty?
    Never saw that one, but I remember a similar set back in the late 90s (including the corset packaging)... probably didn't have DVDs though.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Never saw that one, but I remember a similar set back in the late 90s (including the corset packaging)... probably didn't have DVDs though.
    I've been thinking on this all day and my searches are coming up empty. I distinctly remember seeing a corseted Goth music compilation well before 2006 but damned if I can find any reference to it. I'll need to check in with some friends from back then to see if they remember what I'm talking about...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Doing a wiki dive because it's too damn cold to go in my garage right now and I'm bored. Saw this and thought it was pretty interesting for the thread:
    G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra – Score from the Motion Picture was composed by Alan Silvestri, who reunited with director Stephen Sommers to record his score with a 90-piece ensemble of the Hollywood Studio Symphony at the scoring stages at Sony and Fox.[73] A soundtrack album of the score was released by Varèse Sarabande Records on August 4, 2009.[74]

The score came under scrutiny from various soundtrack forums soon after being released.[75][76] Spectral analysis of the content of the CD revealed certain frequency cutoff patterns around 16 kHz, which are typical for lossy codecs. By analyzing the block size of these cutoffs, individuals at Hydrogenaudio were able to identify the lossy codec that was used before mastering the CD as MP3 with a sample rate of 48 kHz.[77] According to the aforementioned forums, Varèse's German subsidiary Colosseum Schallplatten acknowledged this as a mastering error, while Varèse Sarabande itself denied this. It is so far unclear if a remastered version with full frequency content will be released.
    that's both pretty cool and pretty frightening that someone was able to figure that out. I wish I had those ears.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Mediæval Bæbes has their new album up for pre-order: Prayers of the Rosary

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So happy. After moving across the country for college seven years ago and being separated from the CD collection I'd built up in childhood, I finally had them shipped up here to join my newer ones!

I love CD's for whatever reason. I'm so glad this thread exists!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

brilliant deal from a brilliant label.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDefacto View Post
    So happy. After moving across the country for college seven years ago and being separated from the CD collection I'd built up in childhood, I finally had them shipped up here to join my newer ones!
    Love the mode singles boxes <3

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    My husband started throwing out some CD's the other day, and it felt like he was throwing away gold to me, lol.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    My husband started throwing out some CD's the other day, and it felt like he was throwing away gold to me, lol.
    Throw away? Put them on Discogs. If anyone is throwing away any electronic music, especially 90s electronica, I'll gladly pay for shipping.

I really wish I had Sonoio's Red album on CD. I'm missing it, but prices are getting high. I have Blue and Fine.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-15-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Beauty release.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sealed copy of Pulse

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    A friend of mine is selling TONS of CDs if you're interested: https://www.discogs.com/user/choppin...ction?header=1

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I got John Carpenter’s Lost Themes 3 and Phoebe Bridgers’ Punisher in the mail from Reckless today.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Been collecting promo CDs of one of my favorite electronic music albums...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Got Martin gore’s new ep in the mail today!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Not a very compelling list or the rationale behind them...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Not a very compelling list or the rationale behind them...
    Meh. I know.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    They still should return

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    They still should return
    I consider myself a surround sound enthusiast. This last year I've been picking up a lot of physical media. CDs, Vinyl, DVDs and in terms of the surround sound experience, I'm finding myself drawn to CDs the most.
    1. Vinyl mastering has the potential for great warmth and superb dynamics, but it's usually pretty hit or miss if the dolby encoding will produce the rear speaker environment I'm expecting.
    2. Dualdiscs, surround mixes, and DVD-Audio are wonderful. Quality is noticably better than CD or vinyl, but I'm forced to physically navigate a DVD menu system to begin an album.
    3. CDs typically are mixed appropriately for Dolby, require minimum storage space (for physical media), and are still versatile enough to be portable home or car.

I would prefer physical media to exist in a hybrid format. Blu-ray/CD dual-discs have yet to be explored.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotha52 View Post
    I consider myself a surround sound enthusiast. This last year I've been picking up a lot of physical media. CDs, Vinyl, DVDs and in terms of the surround sound experience, I'm finding myself drawn to CDs the most.
    1. Vinyl mastering has the potential for great warmth and superb dynamics, but it's usually pretty hit or miss if the dolby encoding will produce the rear speaker environment I'm expecting.
    2. Dualdiscs, surround mixes, and DVD-Audio are wonderful. Quality is noticably better than CD or vinyl, but I'm forced to physically navigate a DVD menu system to begin an album.
    3. CDs typically are mixed appropriately for Dolby, require minimum storage space (for physical media), and are still versatile enough to be portable home or car.

I would prefer physical media to exist in a hybrid format. Blu-ray/CD dual-discs have yet to be explored.
    i've never been a huge fan of forcing audio into surround when it wasn't mixed that way. some receivers can do an ok job but most of them just make it sound off and you can end up with phasing issues. my dad (despite being an audiophile and working in the a/v world, which is what i used to do, with him) has been using his surround receiver in 5-channel stereo mode for anything that's not mixed in surround for the last few years, and it drives me INSANE. guess his hearing isn't what it used to be. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

anyway, i agree that i wish more things were actually mixed in surround, or at least available on physical media in lossless quality. blu-ray dual-discs would be pretty cool. i'm still holding out hope that one day we'll actually get the (supposedly completed) 5.1 version of the fragile.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So I was about to buy a 6 disc set the other day of the Meters catalog (almost complete I think), but it's an import and there are only 3rd party seller's on amazon, many other sites show it as sold out. I got to thinking maybe one of the usual stores has lossless download for sale but I only found it on tidal. Does anyone here have experience buying flac downloads from them? I've seen some reports that people found upscaled mp3 sold as flac from them but no idea if that's accurate. I'm really struggling with this one about whether to go for the CDs or try the tidal flac. I figure buying from 3rd party on amazon doesn't necessarily get any money to Ziggy Modeliste and the other guys and the flac is less than half as much. Hard to say if I'd get as much enjoyment out of liner notes from this as some of my other treasures cd releases (looking at you elvis costello rhino reissues)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    So I was about to buy a 6 disc set the other day of the Meters catalog (almost complete I think), but it's an import and there are only 3rd party seller's on amazon, many other sites show it as sold out. I got to thinking maybe one of the usual stores has lossless download for sale but I only found it on tidal. Does anyone here have experience buying flac downloads from them? I've seen some reports that people found upscaled mp3 sold as flac from them but no idea if that's accurate. I'm really struggling with this one about whether to go for the CDs or try the tidal flac. I figure buying from 3rd party on amazon doesn't necessarily get any money to Ziggy Modeliste and the other guys and the flac is less than half as much. Hard to say if I'd get as much enjoyment out of liner notes from this as some of my other treasures cd releases (looking at you elvis costello rhino reissues)
    I say hold out for the physical set. Tidal is almost always legit FLAC from the labels, but sometimes with international-only labels, they don't check that what they're providing is from proper source with full resolution; with a silver pressed set you know at least they went to the effort of going through some kind of QC process.