Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact Disc Collectors Lament

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    If anyone's throwing out CDs from the great electronic acts of the 90s, you best message me first. Like SM Rollinger shipping and packing will be covered.
    Ok you got dibs on the electronics stuff, as long as I get the nu metal!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    If anyone's throwing out CDs from the great electronic acts of the 90s, you best message me first. Like SM Rollinger shipping and packing will be covered.
    Same here but I'll take any genre....except polka!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Ok you got dibs on the electronics stuff, as long as I get the nu metal!
    Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Same here but I'll take any genre....except polka!
    What about nu polka?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    When Skynet takes over all all stored digital media is gone forver, I'll be glad that I still have my CDs.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    For sure, send them to me. I'll even pay for shipping.

As long as they rip and play, I don't want disc rotted CDs.
    They don't rip, haven't for years, and there's skipping during playback.

ETA: Heh, not much in the way of nu-metal tbh. First Korn CD and first Sevendust CD.
    Last edited by Jon; 03-07-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    -This kept occurring to me, but I kept forgetting to ask this question here.-

What would your favorite video game system for playing CDs be?

As for me, I think I like the PS1. The PS2 was okay, but the PS1 seemed a lot more fun to mess around with, especially with the visuals and sound settings. I've also read and heard good things about the Sega Saturn and the Sega Dreamcast being used as CD players as well, but most audiophile forums seem to praise the PS1 the most.

I also checked out the Atari Jaguar and Sega CD on YouTube as well, but could see why those aren't often favorites. I just always liked that, not just as a gamer, but I enjoyed having a set-up with speakers and it also playing through the TV at the same time. I used to do that a lot with the PS2, since that was the only PlayStation I ever got.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    PS2 was my go to DVD player for years.

I still use my PS3 as a Blu Ray player with my bedroom TV. Also have a 1TB hard drive in it LOADED to the gills with documentaries I've collected over the years.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Greetings!

just wondering if somebody in the community might be able to assist; does anyone know of effective CD cleaning product? I do a bit of collecting second hand discs, and often they can be in great nick save for some small marks, but honestly I have no idea about a good product to help in these instances.

Are there any recommendations out there?

Cheers, muad’nin

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Greetings!

just wondering if somebody in the community might be able to assist; does anyone know of effective CD cleaning product? I do a bit of collecting second hand discs, and often they can be in great nick save for some small marks, but honestly I have no idea about a good product to help in these instances.

Are there any recommendations out there?

Cheers, muad’nin
    Distilled water with a drop or two of Dawn dish soap in a medium-sized bottle (16-22 oz). The majority of the little 4 oz liquid cleaners you can buy are distilled water + a non-caustic cleaner. You're using distilled or purified water because you're not wanting to leave behind a film of mineral deposits. Spray the solution on a cloth, not on the disc, and wipe inside to out, not in a circle.

I have personally used the toothpaste method successfully on several discs. You need plain old white anti-cavity toothpaste. You take a few dabs and use a dry cloth to spread the paste on the disc like turtle wax. Leave it for a bit and then use your cleaning solution to clean the disc. There will be a "layer" on the back of the disc, so be sure to clean properly before plopping it in somewhere. Your goal is not to remove the entire layer, but to "smooth" the layer out.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Distilled water with a drop or two of Dawn dish soap in a medium-sized bottle (16-22 oz). The majority of the little 4 oz liquid cleaners you can buy are distilled water + a non-caustic cleaner. You're using distilled or purified water because you're not wanting to leave behind a film of mineral deposits. Spray the solution on a cloth, not on the disc, and wipe inside to out, not in a circle.

I have personally used the toothpaste method successfully on several discs. You need plain old white anti-cavity toothpaste. You take a few dabs and use a dry cloth to spread the paste on the disc like turtle wax. Leave it for a bit and then use your cleaning solution to clean the disc. There will be a "layer" on the back of the disc, so be sure to clean properly before plopping it in somewhere. Your goal is not to remove the entire layer, but to "smooth" the layer out.
    Goodness, this is brilliant, THANK YOU!!!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Another thing I like to use for fingerprints/random grime is eyeglass lens cleaner. Just make sure you use a super soft cloth, like a microfiber one or an old bit of flannel. This is also excellent for cleaning jewel cases.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    CD pick-ups since the beginning of the year.

Deftones - Gore
    Faith No More - Angel Dust (Deluxe)
    Jinjer - Macro
    Korn - The Nothing
    Slipknot - Slipknot (10th Anniversary Edition)
    Tubeway Army - Replicas

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Another thing I like to use for fingerprints/random grime is eyeglass lens cleaner. Just make sure you use a super soft cloth, like a microfiber one or an old bit of flannel. This is also excellent for cleaning jewel cases.
    Brilliant, thank you! Just curious - my glasses cleaner has a “cleaning” smell to it, like a detergent. I’m sure it’s not alcohol, but in your experience are most lens cleaning solutions ok to use? As in, they won’t damage discs?

Cheers,
    muad’nin

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I've worn glasses for so many years that I started making my own lens cleaner. The ones I've always used seem to just be a 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol, so I just mix up my own in a small atomizer when I run out. This has always worked fine on both my glasses and my discs.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I've worn glasses since I was 12, I've always used hot tap water and a clean soft towel to clean mine.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Recent pickups.

The Agonist - Orphans
    Deftones - B-sides & Rarities
    Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist
    Jinjer - Cloud Factory
    Jinjer - King of Everything
    KMFDM - HELL YEAH
    Korn - The Serenity of Suffering
    Poppy - I Disagree
    Skinny Puppy - Tormentor
    Skinny Puppy - Last Rights
    Tool - Lateralus
    Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

sooo the theme here is...? Spoiler: FACES!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    sooo the theme here is...? Spoiler: FACES!
    I'm more curious about what the story is behind the ordering here.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I knew a guy back in the day that organized his music by the color of the spine of the CD case.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I'm in the process of moving boxes and boxes of stuff out of my folks' place (it's been there for ages), and I forgot just how many CDs I had. And for a brief moment, I thought "I'm gonna have to get rid of these".

Then I found a little ol' boombox on the curb and went "hey, I could put this in the garage and listen to CDs while I do boring housework things in there!" and suddenly I'm reminded why I kept all those damn discs in the first place. (Also, as soon as 12-14TB hard drives go back on sale in the $180-200 range, I'm buying one and ripping every single disc I own to FLAC and retooling my Plex library.)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I love CDs. Recent purchases include Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, Meat Loaf's Bat out of Hell, and another copy of the new Slipknot We Are Not Your Kind since my physical copy I have I bought when I saw them last August and I not going to open it I want it as a memento from the show.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I love CDs. Recent purchases include Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, Meat Loaf's Bat out of Hell, and another copy of the new Slipknot We Are Not Your Kind since my physical copy I have I bought when I saw them last August and I not going to open it I want it as a memento from the show.
    I hope this doesn't sound dickish or anything; I'm genuinely curious about this. As someone who has their fair share of mementos from shows (we're talking boxes and boxes of stuff from decades of working or attending shows), I 100% get the desire to have mementos. No questions there. But for something like a CD - what is it about opening it that would make it no longer be a memento? They're fairly resilient things; taking off an extremely thin layer of plastic seems like it wouldn't really cause any great degree of harm to come to it. Why the need to keep it wrapped and literally buy a second copy to listen to?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I hope this doesn't sound dickish or anything; I'm genuinely curious about this. As someone who has their fair share of mementos from shows (we're talking boxes and boxes of stuff from decades of working or attending shows), I 100% get the desire to have mementos. No questions there. But for something like a CD - what is it about opening it that would make it no longer be a memento? They're fairly resilient things; taking off an extremely thin layer of plastic seems like it wouldn't really cause any great degree of harm to come to it. Why the need to keep it wrapped and literally buy a second copy to listen to?
    For me, CDs are affordable, both themselves and the equipment needed to play them. Now maybe that isn't a big deal to some people but it is for me. Would I like to own a record player and some records that I the CD version of? Sure. Is it possible? yeah not really... just the cost of a record player for example makes it incredibly hard to get into and then the vinyls are not cheap either.

The CD for me represents a cheaper way of enjoying what i would with a vinyl minus the sound of the vinyl experience. Believe it or not, I am one of those people who still opens a CD and look, read and enjoy the artwork it has. I'm just surprised that people who don't care about CDs for whatever reason can't see this point as a reason why CDs are still relevant for some people.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    lol, there's bascially no order. I just put 'em where they fit.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I’m gonna come over and alphabetize this for you once this is all over.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    you should be arrested & probably put in jail at least for life, if not longer.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

alphabetical by release (original release if a remaster so Ride the Lightning is always after Kill 'Em All regardless of which version I would own) and then the Various artists all get their own spot as well. Much like in iTunes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's a lament for me too. I get vinyl, I grew up with it. I understand the warm sound and sitting listening whilst getting lost in the music and cover art. It was/is a beautiful thing.
    One of the downsides is the interruption of the experience by turning the record over. When I listen to some NIN albums right through, no interruption, it's better than anything in the whole world. I can't imagine that disconnect from the experience now. Add in how vulnerable to damage vinyl can be, the cost of decent equipment and vinyl itself, I can't justify the expenditure at the moment.
    When I was 15 I bought my first vinyl with my own money, it was Peter Gabriel-So. I played that thing literally to death. I replaced it, then over time played that to death too. I still have the CD I replaced that with.
    The biggest issue I've found with the vinyl or download only option is that I've gone from having a smaller physical object, with art work and notes, to having to download and no physical connection at all. Which makes me a bit sad.
    Last edited by Sarah_Munn; 05-27-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    i feel the same way when that's done with records. i don't get it. it's a thing that's made to hold music and play it for you...why keep it closed up and never heard? while my records are technically an "investment" i'd rather have their resale value decrease because i've been able to enjoy them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperpower View Post
    For me, CDs are affordable, both themselves and the equipment needed to play them. Now maybe that isn't a big deal to some people but it is for me. Would I like to own a record player and some records that I the CD version of? Sure. Is it possible? yeah not really... just the cost of a record player for example makes it incredibly hard to get into and then the vinyls are not cheap either.

The CD for me represents a cheaper way of enjoying what i would with a vinyl minus the sound of the vinyl experience. Believe it or not, I am one of those people who still opens a CD and look, read and enjoy the artwork it has. I'm just surprised that people who don't care about CDs for whatever reason can't see this point as a reason why CDs are still relevant for some people.
    See, that's what I'm saying though - I enjoy CDs as something to open up, to listen to, to look at the artwork from. I was more curious about why a CD purchased at a concert would hold more sentimental value sitting on a shelf in a wrapper than used and enjoyed.