Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact Disc Collectors Lament

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    My two latest CD pickups from last month, the case for the one on the left didn't survive very well.

The hinge pieces are broken so the top portion comes right off and most of the teeth that hold the disc in place have broke off too.

I'm hoping a local place might have some spare jewel cases i can scoop up and possibly replace it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I have plenty of spare regular jewel cases, but the slimline cases, for the "import" singles, I am always on the lookout for. I always dig thru bargain bins at the three local second hand music stores I frequent in Sioux falls, looking for nice condition ones to replace the damaged cases from years of collecting.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I think sleevecityusa.com and squaredealonline.com have all sorts of cases, even import style, "chubby", etc.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I have plenty of spare regular jewel cases, but the slimline cases, for the "import" singles, I am always on the lookout for. I always dig thru bargain bins at the three local second hand music stores I frequent in Sioux falls, looking for nice condition ones to replace the damaged cases from years of collecting.
    I didn't see any maxi single replacements w/ J-card holders (European style) on sleevecityusa, but that also would have been my first guess.

They're all over eBay, which is also where I buy my replacements for Criterion Collection cases. I can't link to eBay because I'm an idiot, but search for "maxi slim single cd jewel case". They're in packs of 25–50 for a little over $1 per unit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I didn't see any maxi single replacements w/ J-card holders (European style) on sleevecityusa, but that also would have been my first guess.

They're all over eBay, which is also where I buy my replacements for Criterion Collection cases. I can't link to eBay because I'm an idiot, but search for "maxi slim single cd jewel case". They're in packs of 25–50 for a little over $1 per unit.
    Yeah those are the ones looking for, thanks.

As far as collection news, I stopped keeping up on Rammstein singles after Benzin was released, but I'm back on the wagon again and just bought the Rosenrot and Mann Gegen Mann digipak singles, as well as a sweet deal on a European copy of Mutter and the double disc version of Live Aus Berlin. Next I'll have to get the lifad and beyond singles.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

I picked this up because I wanted to check out if I still enjoyed it or not...

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Found a digipak version of The Beta Band's "Three EPs" in great condition in a "used" bin.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Finally got the ball rolling on a project I have had in mind for years, custom made shelfs for my entire music collection. Here is some of the progress so far.

(I bought a router a few months ago, and have been teaching myself how to use it. I put the edge on the shelfs with a concave bit and a convex bit. Something is really relaxing about woodworking. I am just using standard 1x10s for the shelfs and when they are all done I plan on staining them to match the moulding in my house. While the brackets are secured to the walls with drywall anchors, the shelfs themselves just have one screw each holding them to the brackets so when the time comes they will be easy to take down for finish..I work for a hardware store so I have access to this kind of stuff at a discount )
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 05-06-2022 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I still buy cds of stuff I really like. My hands don't work too well & I drop stuff a lot. Much harder to mess a cd up. + vinyl is just too damn expensive for the most part.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    That looks great @SM Rollinger !

Same @chuckrh I only buy cds of bands I really like

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Nuovo Testamento just released a CD version of their incredible New Earth album from last year. Its on their Bandcamp (US based).

If you're in Europe, Agipunk have it for a better price: http://www.agipunk.com/news/order-no...tion-record-2/

I grabbed one off Agipunk.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    @SM Rollinger, that looks awesome! I got such a warm, fuzzy feeling seeing such a nice display.

I loved displaying my collection in HS and college, as well as the ritual of scanning the spines while trying to decide what to play. Since then I've just been filing the discs in storage bins once I ripped them. That feels like such a waste though. If I had your patience and skills, I'd love to do the same...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Awesome stuff! @SM Rollinger

This is what my collection looked like when I had all of my cd's at the time. Due to lots of moving around and no where to really store them anymore, I had to sell them . I mostly just collect vinyls now, but I at least kept all of the special editions and collectors editions I grabbed over the years.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Wow thanks guys for all the positive feedback! That's literally only the Mushroomhead thru ZZ Top (minus my NIN) plus my soundtracks and compilations. The next step is to frame my 3x Bottom of the Pyramid prints from the 17/18 tour matted into a single frame, and then build the rest of the shelfs around that. As you can see I have a dedicated shelf for my paltry vinyl collection on the bottom level, and while I'm planning on putting all my DVDs/vhs/blu rays on the very top shelf, I'm not sure where my cassettes will go. Work in progress and I'll keep you all updated!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    A little progress over the weekend, for more obsolete media formats.

My music DVDs, VHS', Blu-Rays and a few other box sets and miscellaneous stuff. The project is coming along nicely, I am just waiting for a quote from the framers, they are going to need to get an oversized matte for my BOTP prints.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

various - soundtrack for "Pump Up The Volume" (picked it up for a friend)
    Propellerheads - "Extended Play E.P." (needed to pick something to fulfill a minimum order for the soundtrack... I like Propellerheads so why not)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

various - soundtrack for "Pump Up The Volume" (picked it up for a friend)
    Propellerheads - "Extended Play E.P." (needed to pick something to fulfill a minimum order for the soundtrack... I like Propellerheads so why not)
    It's all good, your secret is safe with us, like that copy of Taylor Swift's 1989 I "picked up for a friend".

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    It's all good, your secret is safe with us, like that copy of Taylor Swift's 1989 I "picked up for a friend".
    Never actually heard the soundtrack aside from what was in the movie... and now that I've listened to it (to make sure there were no issues with it, no sense in giving them something that is flawed; just waiting on the cassette and DVD to show up as well)... well, I've confirmed why I've never picked it up before. I do like that Above the Law track though...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The 1997 EP "Happy Unbirthday" by Brix [Smith]. Needed for mixtape remastering...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

"The Fragile" by Nine Inch Nails, sealed, Canadian release.

Don't care that it was sealed, but it was nice to open it as new again. I needed "Ripe (With Decay)" and since that's on the CD and not Definitive Edition vinyl, well... yeah...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I never realized that was the case… how can they even call it definitive if it’s incomplete???

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    I never realized that was the case… how can they even call it definitive if it’s incomplete???
    Not incomplete, just, like as with the original releases, different formats got slightly different tracks... the vinyl got "Ripe" and the CD got "Ripe (With Decay)" (and the cassette got +Appendage)... this ninwiki link describes things better.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The 2021 release of "The Witching Tale" by The Witching Tale.

(and I see now they have a signed limited edition vinyl... so... I'll just go buy that as well, not like I haven't bought the vinyl and CD versions from Mediæval Bæbes previously)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The 1998 US promotional release of "Across the Universe" by Fiona Apple... needed for mixtape remastering purposed and I didn't want the full Pleasantville soundtrack.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

the CD version of one of the latest Back To Mine series; "Horse Meat Disco".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Finally hit 300 CD's and got a new glass-door bookshelf to celebrate! (Well, not actually to celebrate, but they happened to happen at the same time!)

I did cave and finally bought a vinyl... but just this once. That Foals 7" at the top has an exclusive B-side that's never been released in any digital format and which I cannot track down in good quality, so I figured I'd rip it myself. My rule is that, apart from exclusivity exceptions like this, I will only end up with vinyl in my collection if it happens to come with a CD box set.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    WTF WTF I'm dying laughing