Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact Disc Collectors Lament

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Do you know if any of the damaged ones were due to disc rot? I've heard a bit about it but I've never come across it myself, my oldest CDs were probably pressed in the mid to late 90s and even if i have releases from that decade or prior they likely aren't first pressings. I've read that people who've come across damage like this usually find it with pressings from the 80s.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I don't but looking at the disc, they look just well loved, which isn't to say that it could be disc rot as well but nothing really stands out aside from much usage. I think the biggest factor with disc rot is leaving them out in direct sun over long periods of time (but I may be wrong). I don't think I have any early 1980s discs kickin' around to check at the moment but if I find some I'll take a look.
    I’ve had the opposite issue, where certain new releases skip terribly or won’t play at all in my CD player. I still have my Pioneer stereo sound system I bought in 1998 (25 disc CD changer - felt like a luxury at the time). Oddly, these same discs play in my 2015 model vehicle.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I've read that people who've come across damage like this usually find it with pressings from the 80s.
    I found it on a lot of my stuff that I got from BMG in the 90s, so I guess there's no rhyme or reason in regards to time period of manufacture.
    I think the biggest factor with disc rot is leaving them out in direct sun over long periods of time (but I may be wrong).
    The discs I found it on over the years never sat in direct sunlight. I think it's caused by chemical degradation.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thenorthwood View Post
    I’ve had the opposite issue, where certain new releases skip terribly or won’t play at all in my CD player. I still have my Pioneer stereo sound system I bought in 1998 (25 disc CD changer - felt like a luxury at the time). Oddly, these same discs play in my 2015 model vehicle.
    i'm guessing it's an issue with the alignment of the laser assembly in your player. big multi-disc changers are notorious for having issues like that, and the fact that you've had it for 20 years and it took this long to fuck up is pretty impressive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm guessing it's an issue with the alignment of the laser assembly in your player. big multi-disc changers are notorious for having issues like that, and the fact that you've had it for 20 years and it took this long to fuck up is pretty impressive.
    Yes, it’s held up well. Actually I almost always use the single CD slot instead of the 25 disc changer. What perplexes me is all my older discs play perfectly in the single slot, unless they’re scratched, but some new releases that don’t have visible scratches don’t play at all or often skip. Vietnam War soundtrack and Alice Glass EP are two that come to mind. Are some discs made differently now so it may not align properly with an older laser?

Both cassette players are fucked up too, but I am reluctant to retire the old system since it sounds great and I can get most CDs to play and have had no issues with the turntable hook up.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thenorthwood View Post
    Are some discs made differently now so it may not align properly with an older laser?
    it's entirely possible that it's due to a change in manufacturing standards. i wouldn't be even a little surprised if that was the cause.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Someone was asking about my NIN CDs earlier... so... (kind of a stylish shot, not really representative but fairly close)

(goes nearly to the end of the row... except the last 3).
    Last edited by MrLobster; 08-05-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I just bought the Sonoio album Fine on CD the other day when I found out the CD has an exclusive 99th track. The good ol secret track #99.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I absolutely love The Smashing Pumpkins super deluxe CD reissues, especially the Mellon Collie and Aeroplane Flies High sets. The Aeroplane Flies High has different colors and sparking foil for each disc. Quite a beautiful set. Mellon Collie is massive in a vinyl sized case and CDs housed in a purplish felt book. Adore is also beautiful. Dark, no gloss.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I would still kill for a new CD of the bootleg release of Purest Feeling...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I used to have a massive CD collection. NIN, Mogwai, MBV, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, + Tool collections are the only ones that have survived, for the most part.
    Vinyl + cassette have taken over my addiction, but I still have a sweet spot for nice digipaks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm still miffed because years and years ago I found all the discs from The Aeroplane Flies High and it was only later that I realized they were supposed to be in a case. Since I found all the discs at the thrift store my guess is they threw out the box to charge individually for the CDs. It sucks, but I still have them all.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So I make a new mix and burn a couple of copies to give away... but I stop for something to eat and sit down with one in my pocket annnnnnd crack...

Just the case though, the disc is fine.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finally back into encoding CDs. Starting off Sneaker Pimps, because while I really like the quality of the DMM vinyl I have of Becoming X, having 3 of the songs be remixes instead of the originals bugged me. So, here we are. I'll do that, a 6 Underground single and Bloodsport.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Sofa king happy my soundtrack for "Pi" doesn't have encoding issues. Such a good soundtrack.

I cannot say the same thing for my "Hackers" soundtrack, the Leftfield track has issues.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 02-14-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Sofa king happy my soundtrack for "Pi" doesn't have encoding issues. Such a good soundtrack.

I cannot say the same thing for my "Hackers" soundtrack, the Leftfield track has issues.
    I think I have the Hackers soundtrack somewhere. I am assuming you are encoding to FLAC files using some kind of accu-rip program? I have slowly been encoding/ripping all my CDs to FLAC and if I come by it, I will see if I have any issues with that Leftfield track. Side note, I realized that if I want to listen to FLAC on my iphone, I need some kind of app which is pretty cumbersome. So, I am now debating doing a secondary rip to ALAC (because you know, I have nothing better to do).

This was all after I started ripping to WAV only because I got the NIN Vinyls a few years ago and they came with WAV, FLAC and MP3s. I was like "What is this WAV business? Complete uncompressed audio!?!? I have to have EVERYTHING that way! Trent Reznor would never lead me astray!" Fast foward to last Spring and I get the Guns N Roses Re-release of AFD and it comes with 'High Res Audio DL' and they are all in AIFF files. It was like "What is an AIFF file!??!? What do Axl and Slash know that I don't?!" Then I was thinking maybe I should rip everything in that format? Dear god, make it stop.

So, long story short my cloud and DVD/Blu Ray drives all hate me. When the machines take over I am a dead man. I still buy CDs and Vinyl (have to really like the artist to get the vinyl).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    I think I have the Hackers soundtrack somewhere. I am assuming you are encoding to FLAC files using some kind of accu-rip program? I have slowly been encoding/ripping all my CDs to FLAC and if I come by it, I will see if I have any issues with that Leftfield track. Side note, I realized that if I want to listen to FLAC on my iphone, I need some kind of app which is pretty cumbersome. So, I am now debating doing a secondary rip to ALAC (because you know, I have nothing better to do).

This was all after I started ripping to WAV only because I got the NIN Vinyls a few years ago and they came with WAV, FLAC and MP3s. I was like "What is this WAV business? Complete uncompressed audio!?!? I have to have EVERYTHING that way! Trent Reznor would never lead me astray!" Fast foward to last Spring and I get the Guns N Roses Re-release of AFD and it comes with 'High Res Audio DL' and they are all in AIFF files. It was like "What is an AIFF file!??!? What do Axl and Slash know that I don't?!" Then I was thinking maybe I should rip everything in that format? Dear god, make it stop.

So, long story short my cloud and DVD/Blu Ray drives all hate me. When the machines take over I am a dead man. I still buy CDs and Vinyl (have to really like the artist to get the vinyl).
    I personally rip everything to .wav so that I can worry about .mp3, .flac, .m4a, etc., later on and not make multiple rips because I chose the "wrong" format. My process for archiving is ripping a CD twice with EAC (DAO and TAO) to WAV, and then a 3rd backup with ImgBurn using .bin (more complete than an .iso file).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I personally rip everything to .wav so that I can worry about .mp3, .flac, .m4a, etc., later on and not make multiple rips because I chose the "wrong" format. My process for archiving is ripping a CD twice with EAC (DAO and TAO) to WAV, and then a 3rd backup with ImgBurn using .bin (more complete than an .iso file).
    I started with WAV too but noticed that 'tags' sometimes don't stick to the files. Depends on the encoding program I assume. Haven't gone as far as doing the ImgBurn thing... yet... but it really is only a matter of time. In other words, I am never getting rid of my CDs and will be ripping them well into my 70s...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So, I am now debating doing a secondary rip to ALAC (because you know, I have nothing better to do).
    My CDs are encoded to ALAC and the vinyl is ripped AIFF raw (24-bit 192000 Hz) and ALAC after editing them (into individual tracks, instead of leaving the as whole sides... but some albums I can't edit really nicely, so I leave them as a whole side regardless). I live in an Apple ecosystem and wanted to actually hear the music on all of my devices without adding more software. Now I can stream to any of my TVs and of course, have it on my iDevices. (this is my, oh... 5th time re-encoding my CDs, starting off back in '98 at 128kbps MP3... and then 160kbps... and then 320... and then ALAC... and then a HDD was knocked off a table and after, like... 3.5 years, I'm started to do ALAC again).

To my ears, downloaded WAV (16-bit or 24-bit) or encoded AIFF->ALAC (24-bit) sound so close that it doesn't matter to me anymore. Sure, size is a thing... but tb hdd's aren't that expensive.

Yeah, lemme know about your encoding experiences with the Hackers soundtrack, with the Leftfield one, plays 1.5sec, then 2.5sec gap and then continues with the rest of the song. My goal is to make a vinyl version of the soundtrack (since one doesn't exist) and I'm slowly buying as much of the source material on vinyl as I can (same with "Pi", "Desperado" and "The Crow").
    Last edited by MrLobster; 02-14-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I started with WAV too but noticed that 'tags' sometimes don't stick to the files.
    Same. Sure, it keeps the basic info, but artwork, lyrics... nope... doesn't seem to care. An that's fine, I want them for their quality... kinda annoying but not enough to make me stop buying them.

In other words, I am never getting rid of my CDs and will be ripping them well into my 70s...
    If I had known I was going to keep CDs 30+ years, I would have taken slightly better care of them, but some of my early buys aren't standing the test of time and need to be replaced (sometimes with new vinyl versions since I missed out the first time around... or because they have new versions available).

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Time to encode my NIN CDs... (and DVDs as audio rips)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hey,

Quick question but does anyone have FLAC or ALAC files for Not so Pretty Now and Non-Entity? I don't think they were ever released this way, but figured I would ask.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Hey,

Quick question but does anyone have FLAC or ALAC files for Not so Pretty Now and Non-Entity? I don't think they were ever released this way, but figured I would ask.
    the Seed Six download had a flac option

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    the Seed Six download had a flac option
    Thank you!!!!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Boourns. My UK version of March Of The Pigs (disc 1) is fucked up in some way. Track 2 won't read.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Can I just say how much it annoys me when CDs come in square digipaks/sleeves that don't fit properly on my CD rack?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Can I just say how much it annoys me when CDs come in square digipaks/sleeves that don't fit properly on my CD rack?
    Preach.

At one point I had all my digipaks entirely separate from everything also just to keep it neat... but keep the bands/artists together was more compelling.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I have a bunch in a shoebox in my stereo cabinet

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I keep running out of space to store my CD's, but i love my collection, this month alone i bought over 30 cd's...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Double CD housed in a custom 7” x 7” 60 page hardbound book

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I still miss being able to walk in a store with the racks packed with CDs. I also still miss seeing shelves packed with DVDs as well.

As somebody that seeks comfort and convenience, I get the appeal of streaming and file-sharing. As a matter of fact, I always did, so I get why physical media has been phased out this much. And even when I see actual stores selling CDs and DVDs, it usually only seems to have the best sellers, and overall most popular releases. Thank goodness for Amazon.com and the like for now though.

I know I also brought this up before, but as much as CDs were 1980s/1990s things, I still believe CDs were still very much a 2000s thing as well. If not at least the first half of the 2000s. CDs and portable CD players were still all the rage in say, 2000-2003, and even in 2004 and 2005 it was still "normal" to carry around a portable CD player around.

I don't know what it is, and this can go beyond the physical media topic, but the early 2000s isn't remembered as much depending on who you speak to. Some people I know even find the second half of the 2000s to be more memorable.

But yeah. It always caught me off guard, since even if CDs peaked in popularity in the 1990s, it doesn't change the fact that CDs were still big in the early/first half of the 2000s even in spite of file-sharing.

It's also kind of like when people say AOL was just a 1990s thing when AOL was still huge in the early 2000s. Oh crap. And we know how notorious AOL was with their CD distribution/advertisements.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-01-2019 at 10:45 PM.