Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thread of Creepy

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I'm amazed at the response this is getting. I read this at work today, and just kind of shrugged at the end. Post in a spoilers-esque way if you want, but what the hell was so scary about that?
    I felt the same way. I mean, it startled me a tiny bit, but that was about it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well umm, *spoiler* I guess!

I was sat in a dark room with my headphones on full when I checked it out, and had never previously been informed of the idea that comics could suddenly animate in front of your face and blare a horrible noise in your ear.

Like looking at a painting of a cow and hearing it moo, except completely unlike that. haha

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    [URL="http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-with-really-obvious-solutions.html"]

http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-with-really-obvious-solutions.html

The first one.
    Hah, that list is great. I especially like the hopkinsville goblin case.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Apparently there are these sounds that people are hearing all over the world from "the sky" and they are now calling it "UAO" - unidentified audible objects - and that they only just started this year.

This blog has been following and debunking / exploring a lot of them.

Some people are likening it to the sounds of the trumpets of the apocalypse. Or something.
    Last edited by Torgo; 01-19-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
    Some people are likening it to the sounds of the trumpets of the apocalypse. Or something.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    That video creeped me out! Now I'm going to be paranoid when I go outside...

Four things I think it could be... 1) it could be the trumpets (of the apocalypse) or 2) (I hate to be all NIN fan about it) it could be the Presence (although it's not showing up visually yet) or 3) Massive shifts in atmospheric pressure change in high altitude or 4) Government(s) conspiracy.

---
    I thought I could hear children laughing in the Conklin, Alberta Canada clip.
    Last edited by REPLICA; 01-19-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Video remark

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I've been keeping an eye on that topic lately and getting super creeped out by it in the process.

I like this video.

A later news article says it was speaker feedback.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Apparently there are these sounds that people are hearing all over the world from "the sky" and they are now calling it "UAO" - unidentified audible objects - and that they only just started this year.

I caught up on this subject a few days ago too, if it's legit it's very creepy and awesome at the same time. But I have a feeling that at least some of the videos (in general, not necessarily the ones you posted) are bullshit, in one video the sounds heard are very clearly the blaring of the Tripods from Spielberg's War of the Worlds. Is there a way to tell if a sound has been added in a video artificially?

EDIT: The blog you linked to is very helpful, it appears that some of the videos are definitely fake, in that they have the exact sounds (blaring, birds, background noises and all) as others. But there also genuine videos for sure. Some of the rumbles/hummings/whistling sounds seem undisputable, the question is what is causing them. Right now, my money is on atmospheric, electromagnetic phenomena. Similar occurances have been recorded as far back as mid-19th century. One person in the blog commented that in that period of the 19th century, the largest solar flare ever recorded had occured (Carrington super flare). Whatever the cause, the sounds are creepy as hell.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 01-20-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Additional info

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    two contributions. firstly, the entire concept of this skeeves the shit out of me:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendigo

and then there's these books, these stories, and the artwork:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scary_s...ll_in_the_dark

^this one is my yearly christmas facebook default photo, with a santa hat photoshopped on the demon in the sky.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post

I loved those books! I owned all three when I was a kid, but lost them over the years The artwork was so scary and amazing. I would sit and stare at it over and over, I loved it!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    I loved those books! I owned all three when I was a kid, but lost them over the years The artwork was so scary and amazing. I would sit and stare at it over and over, I loved it!
    Ditto. I remember the stories kind of creeped me out, but the pictures scared the shit out of me when I read them under the covers with a flashlight at night.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Well, the YZ miniseries IS in the works... ;D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Red State 2 ARG?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YKWYA View Post
    Red State 2
    Dude, don't even joke about that!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

This video is by far one of the freakiest "sounds from the sky" videos out there. It's like a scene from a David Lynch film.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Holy shit...it just hit me. This is exactly like what I noticed before bed about a week ago. I live about two miles from a small airport (no jets, just small planes), and chalked it up as air traffic...until I realized that it was drawing out a lot longer than any plane I'd heard here before, and without seeming to change distance. I creeped me out a bit that night, but I honestly hadn't thought about it again until now.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Absolutely terrifying....

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh man those Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark books freaked me out as a kid. The one where the guy's in the back seat of the woman's car, and you think the guy following her in his car flashing his headlights on is the killer, but he was just flashing them on every time the guy in the backseat of her car would rise up to stab her, just to scare him back down....wigged the hell outta me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    I've been keeping an eye on that topic lately and getting super creeped out by it in the process.

I like this video.

A later news article says it was speaker feedback.
    Haha I saw that game live, and about 150 other Rays games this past season. The sound is the wind. Tropicana Field is the last indoor baseball stadium (some have retractable roofs now) and when it storms, which is quite frequently in St. Pete, then wind can get to sounding pretty crazy.
    Oh and Rays to win the World Series in 2012

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    So....nothing creepy happening lately? Nuts. Kinda want to scare myself out of sleeping tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A Good Night Story

Wish I could just post this in here directly, but whatevs. This kept me up on the night I saw it!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I love the real short ones like that. Since I haven't lived with my parents in years (and never in a two story house), that one in particular doesn't really get under my skin. But it is kind of spooky to imagine that scenario.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I lived in an old house that had me convinced it was haunted. Similar to the "mom downstairs" I recall my wife yelling at our daughter to go to bed after seeing her cross the computer room down the hall. At that very moment her older sister was standing with us and said "um, mom she's already in bed, that wasn't her". We'd occasionally see/hear other odd stuff since then until we called the landlord and asked if they ever heard reports of odd stuff in the house. The landlord got instantly defensive asking "What what did you see? It's all been reported as benign and never malevolent. Have you told anyone else?" Right then I knew this was more than a bunch of weird coincidences.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post

Four things I think it could be.2) (I hate to be all NIN fan about it) it could be the Presence (although it's not showing up visually yet)
    Prepare yourself for dying alone.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

I meant to look for those when I went home for Easter last week, and completely forgot. Decided to take a back road on my way home from my Saturday bagel walk, and found the first and third books - with the original artwork - at a garage sale for ten cents each. These are going to stay in my bunk when I go back out on tour. Can't wait to read these in the dim light in a small bunk out on rural highways in the middle of the night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    two contributions. firstly, the entire concept of this skeeves the shit out of me:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendigo
    My grandpa used to tell me about this when I was a kid and we were camping in the woods. Nice, huh? Gotta love local legends.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    This is an oldie but what the fuck, it reminded me Jinsai's post:

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Thanks to these clips, I'm inspired to fire up Netflix and watch this for the first time since the original airing.

This episode scared the fuck out of me, my brother, and my mom when we watched it that night.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    A few years ago, a mother and father decided they needed a break, so they wanted to head out for a night on the town. They called their most trusted babysitter. When the babysitter arrived, the two children were already fast asleep in bed. So the babysitter just got to sit around and make sure everything was okay with the children.

Later that night, the babysitter got bored and went to watch TV, but she couldn’t watch it downstairs because they did not have cable downstairs (the parents didn’t want children watching too much garbage). So, she called them and asked them if she could watch cable in the parent’s room. Of course, the parents said it was ok, but the babysitter had one final request… she asked if she could cover up the angel statue outside the bedroom window with a blanket or cloth, at the very least close the blinds, because it made her nervous.

The phone line was silent for a moment, and the father who was talking to the babysitter at the time said, “Take the children and get out of the house… we will call the police. We do not have an angel statue.”
    The police found all three of the house occupants dead within three minutes of the call. No angel statue was ever found.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Has anyone ever heard of the Eridanus Supervoid? It's a hole in the universe that was discovered in 2007, with absolutely nothing it it. No planets, no stars, no dark energy, nothing. It's bigger than any other known hole in the observable universe. At one billion light years wide, and nobody has any concrete idea what caused it (because it shouldn't exist according to what we know about the creation of the universe being relatively uniform) or what it's doing there.

One billion lightyears wide is inconceivably massive, see. And there's nothing in it.

The best explanation anyone has right now is that it's a super-super massive black hole, sitting there in space, munching on entire galaxies. Here's a picture, it's crappy but can help you get an idea of the scale involved.