Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1398

Thread: Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) SPOILERS

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    So, since I was a little late to actually listening (wanted to hear Bad Witch songs live first in Vegas) and after that I was away for a bit, this topic is a bit too long to look back without knowing if what I'm looking for even exists. Since I didn't see it on nincatalog, has anyone posted photos of the special edition goodies? I want to see these pins and prints!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    So, since I was a little late to actually listening (wanted to hear Bad Witch songs live first in Vegas) and after that I was away for a bit, this topic is a bit too long to look back without knowing if what I'm looking for even exists. Since I didn't see it on nincatalog, has anyone posted photos of the special edition goodies? I want to see these pins and prints!
    Idk if anyone's scanned and documented everything yet. You can find various unboxings on youtube, though.

For example:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loopcloses View Post
    I really really like The Lovers but I do think it's peculiar that it's been featured as much as it has, it's gotta be the least single-friendly song across all three releases short of the instrumentals. I definitely wouldn't have guessed it would be a live staple when I first heard it.
    I feel the same way. It makes me wonder why songs like Dear World, Idea of You and My Violent Heart haven't been done since they have almost the exact same style of vocals.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Can anyone figure out what's being said in the almost silent break of Shit Mirror? There's a voice in there...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I feel the same way. It makes me wonder why songs like Dear World, Idea of You and My Violent Heart haven't been done since they have almost the exact same style of vocals.
    If these three songs were added in place of any 3 burnt out live NIN staples from the past 13 years, myself and so many other uber fans would lose their shit. Trent do it, you know you don't want to play Piggy or MotP again!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    If these three songs were added in place of any 3 burnt out live NIN staples from the past 13 years, myself and so many other uber fans would lose their shit. Trent do it, you know you don't want to play Piggy or MotP again!
    As much as I do like both Piggy and MOTP live, I’d much rather see any of those three replace either one from time to time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This is going to sound crazy but I feel like March of the Pigs should be performed at most if not every NIN show because it just brings the thunder every time. You can hear it a million times and it never gets old. I can be sitting here playing Madden and it will come up on shuffle and I'll want to punch something the moment I hear the drums.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This is going to sound crazy but I feel like March of the Pigs should be performed at most if not every NIN show because it just brings the thunder every time. You can hear it a million times and it never gets old. I can be sitting here playing Madden and it will come up on shuffle and I'll want to punch something the moment I hear the drums.
    I'd rather hear MOTP twice than THTF once.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    If Trent went back to the short and sweet original version, I would agree with you. I find that repetitive extended version from the MotP single to be far inferior.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    If Trent went back to the short and sweet original version, I would agree with you. I find that repetitive extended version from the MotP single to be far inferior.
    Have they ever performed the album version without the all pigs all lined up outro?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah I'm as big an advocate for more deep cuts and less singles as you'll find but a set without MOTP would feel... wrong. I'd extend the same consideration to Wish and arguably HLAH too. Those songs work as staples for a reason, they're conduits of energy for the crowd. For a comparison, I recently saw QOTSA in Seattle and it was a pretty good show... until they broke out "Millionaire" followed by "No One Knows". Now Millionaire is not close to being a favorite of mine and I heavily prefer QOTSA deep cuts but in a live setting, that one-two punch immediately brought the crowd to life. If a song is both iconic and a total banger, go for it.

The Hand That Feeds is another matter entirely. Hurt too, for that matter, though I'd probably dig it a lot more if it wasn't always the closer.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    For me, the only staples I want to hear every time are HLAH, Terrible Lie, Wish, Piggy, and Hurt. Anything else is fair game.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Have they ever performed the album version without the all pigs all lined up outro?
    Yes. Was done when they played the entire Downward Spiral live for the first time, Webster Hall, NY. I am sure there are plenty of other dates they did it as well, but this is the only one I am 100% positive on. You can check it out on youtube.
    Last edited by renton44; 08-07-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    Yes. Was done when they played the entire Downward Spiral live for the first time, Webster Hall, NY. I am sure there are plenty of other dates they did it as well, but this is the only one I am 100% positive on. You can check it out on youtube.
    And the other time they played TDS in full a few nights later. I think there may have been one or two other times, but that's it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    There's one show early in TDS 1994 tour where Vrenna has hit in the head by micstand thrown by Trent, which forced them to skip All The Pigs part and went right into SICNH.

upd: it seems I confused the two shows. Vrenna was hit during Sin and they skipped MOTP entirely, but there's another show down the road where All The Pigs was either not played or cut from recording (unclear).
    Last edited by fillow; 08-08-2018 at 12:20 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Not sure where to put this... I can remove or move.
    there are letters in the Bad Witch liner notes that are hiding around the lyrics.

At first it seems like nothing, but if you look closer it’s TWO ROWS of letters. One being the FUCKING ALPHABET A- Z. And the 2nd row being a code maybe. Like a cryptogram.

Example, Below G is B and Below H is T ( https://imgur.com/a/2qNvs2U )

What would the cryptogram unlock? Perhaps hemet chan es b f k Q z ? Perhaps nothing

Anyway, here is the mapping. Help us solve the rest?

Mapping: https://imgur.com/a/mCQ6IXe

We are using CD liner notes AND vinyl
    Edit: E isnt S. sorry
    N is W or V

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamclassic View Post
    Not sure where to put this... I can remove or move.
    there are letters in the Bad Witch liner notes that are hiding around the lyrics.

At first it seems like nothing, but if you look closer it’s TWO ROWS of letters. One being the FUCKING ALPHABET A- Z. And the 2nd row being a code maybe. Like a cryptogram.

Example, Below G is B and Below H is T ( https://imgur.com/a/2qNvs2U )

What would the cryptogram unlock? Perhaps hemet chan es b f k Q z ? Perhaps nothing

Anyway, here is the mapping. Help us solve the rest?

Mapping: https://imgur.com/a/mCQ6IXe

We are using CD liner notes AND vinyl
    Edit: E isnt S. sorry
    N is W or V

Thoughts?
    try all the standard famous codes used throughout history

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    One thing I haven't yet been able to figure out (and I can't be bothered to scour the previous 43 pages of this topic). Why is this album called 'Bad Witch'?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    One thing I haven't yet been able to figure out (and I can't be bothered to scour the previous 43 pages of this topic). Why is this album called 'Bad Witch'?
    No one knows what it means, but it's provocative. Get's the people going.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Trent and family got food poisoning once at...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Did you really make a Blades of Glory reference

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This :

And that :

With the new EPs, I liked world-building, and writing music that can sit in that world. I was always the guy who desperately wanted the Dark Side of the Moon to line up with The Wizard of Oz. I wanted to believe somebody was so far out of their mind that they figured that out. Fuck, I got goose bumps just thinking about that possibility right now — the idea that someone could be thinking so hard about an album.
    What the obsessives maybe don’t know is that if I were to explain everything to you, or just explicitly lay out what the new EP is about, you’d only be disappointed. You don’t really want to know. The experience of grappling with the thing is what makes it interesting, not the immediate gratification of going, 'Oh, that’s what it means.'
    From there.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Did you really make a Blades of Glory reference
    Don't reference shame me, man!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    This :

And that :

From there.
    but... does that mean that we should try watching this with The Wizard of Oz? Maybe there is something more...

I’m keeping my tinfoil hat firmly on. I truly believe that there is more, we just can’t find it yet.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    It would be cool if there were a hidden message but it's just as likely to be a red herring, as the stuff from Add Violence sorta turned out to be. The website discovered that has the additional lyrics from "Branches/Bones" is kind of mysterious, in a way.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It would be cool if there were a hidden message but it's just as likely to be a red herring, as the stuff from Add Violence sorta turned out to be. The website discovered that has the additional lyrics from "Branches/Bones" is kind of mysterious, in a way.
    100% connected to the lyrics and 0 answers. Weird stuff.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    100% connected to the lyrics and 0 answers. Weird stuff.
    There aren't any answers here, not the ones you came looking for.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I've given Bad Witch time to stew. As a concept, I love it, but revisiting it some months later, I continue to find that if it's got one issue, it's that - personally - I find it next to impossible to sit down and play the whole thing front to back, which isn't an issue I have with NTAE or Add Violence.

It's a good work. Challenging. Not a bad track on there, but I find there's just no sense of flow at all. Much, much, much more often than not, I find myself playing tracks in isolation, or two or three in a row, and skipping about. I'll put on everything up to GBDTD - which for my money is one of the single best NIN tracks ever, then go to something else. I'll put on INFTW if I'm on a long trip at night. Or I'll play Over and Out or Shit Mirror in isolation.

I feel like it works much, much better as the closer to the trilogy if I'm thinking about the concept, but as a stand-alone album, as much as I like the individual tracks, it's kind of awkward and disjointed. I find it has that in common with The Slip.

Still great though!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I’ve had some time to digest and I truly love it. Seeing some of it live before release warmed me up heavily to God Break Down the Door and I think it’s an album full of the same sort of apocalyptic, nightmarish and mysterious vibes I remember getting when I first heard The Downward Spiral and fell in love. It’s loaded with textures and acts extremely well as the wild, chaotic blender of everything from the two EPs before it, it feels like the sounds that should come after The Background World tape loop fully disintegrated.

Add Violence feels a little odd between NTAE and BW but it adds to its charm and gives the whole project a better diversity. Over and Out is like what Hesitation Marks tried to be, Ahead of Ourselves is intense as all hell, Shit Mirror has the most grandiose and grimy mix to it, both instrumentals are unsettling and feel like audio panic attacks, it’s great all over to me. It’s also satisfying to see Trent & Atticus fully deliver on a conceptual promise and I think this set of releases proves they’ve still got so much uniquely theirs to say and explore. Bad Witch feels like a better soundtrack for the end of the world than Year Zero was even.