Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New NIN podcast: Nailed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

New NIN podcast: Nailed

Hey, I hope this is ok to do. My wife and I just released a new NIN podcast that we've been working on for a few months. It's called "Nailed", and the concept is that we listen to the whole NIN discography, halo-by-halo, and talk about it. We've both been pretty obsessive fans for a couple decades.

An introductory episode and halo one (Down In It) are up now on Castos. Nailed is also live on Spotify and Apple now. It should be on Google and Stitcher shortly. Are there other platforms it should be on?

I don't think any nin podcasts are still going currently, so I figured we should step into the void, if you will. She and I take a light-hearted, good-humored, almost easy-listening approach to discussing the music as we listen along, and just talk about all that is nin. But we're not afraid to get our hands a bit dirty either. I mean, we are watching the videos. ALL the videos.

We're also doing non-halo stuff as bonus content on our Patreon. Our episode on Purest Feeling is up there now, if you want to listen chronologically.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you'll give a listen. We've been really excited/anxious about putting this out for a while now. We're also on instagram and twitter. Thoughts and feedback are wildly appreciated. Keep fist fucking in the free world.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Can't wait to listen! I miss being able to do Underneath It All, but I can say from experience that it's a fun and rewarding process!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Can't wait to listen! I miss being able to do Underneath It All, but I can say from experience that it's a fun and rewarding process!
    Was that you? I was listening to it today and it's intimidating how much shit you guys know/how many shows you've been to, etc. Great podcast. Can I ask what made you stop?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blake_aux View Post
    Was that you? I was listening to it today and it's intimidating how much shit you guys know/how many shows you've been to, etc. Great podcast. Can I ask what made you stop?
    Thanks! It was partially due to the group not being able to be consistent with getting together and making it happen, but it was mostly due to my schedule. I've been writing and podcasting about film and television professionally for the past six years in addition to a full time day job, so my ability to take the lead on a project like this has become pretty limited. I would have been totally down to keep on as a co-host if someone else were to take on the administrative stuff, but the other hosts' personal lives and other projects meant there was really no one else to take that spot.

So basically we stopped for no other reason than time/availability. Feel free to reach out if you want any advice or anything else as you go!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    We just dropped our episode on Pretty Hate Machine, btw: https://nailed.castos.com/episodes/h...y-hate-machine

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Wanted to say that I really enjoyed the Broken episode and how deep it went. Definitely appreciate the discussions about sample sources and unearthing noises that tend to be really buried in the mix, because it's usually things I would never notice on my own. Inching closer and closer to subbing on Patreon...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've not long found this.
    I like it. Its very listenable and avoids being pretentious, cus come on, we get very cliquey and defensible about our obscure knowledge of NIN sometimes.
    I've only listened to the first 4 halos, but i enjoy their structure even at this early stage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I\ve somehow missed this thread, so have just subscribed to the podcast, can't wait to listen to some episodes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've listened to a few episodes and this is great! You two are fun to listen to and have definitely brought in some info I didn't know before!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Loving this podcast!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    So idk if Blake regularly checks back here, but I was going to ask about this anyway so I could send them to him so asking in here may work and let me be lazy.

I know we don't have much in the way of multitracks from this era, but I do remember having files on my old laptop that were multitracks of just like bits of Starfuckers and I think TDTWWA that apparently had been pulled from nin.com around that time period (I'm assuming those two because of the single?) does anyone remember what I'm remembering and better yet have the files? Too late for use in the TDTWWA single episode but potentially useful when they get to the tracks proper on The Fragile.

Love the pod, hope I get to run into you two at Red Rocks.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    So idk if Blake regularly checks back here, but I was going to ask about this anyway so I could send them to him so asking in here may work and let me be lazy.

I know we don't have much in the way of multitracks from this era, but I do remember having files on my old laptop that were multitracks of just like bits of Starfuckers and I think TDTWWA that apparently had been pulled from nin.com around that time period (I'm assuming those two because of the single?) does anyone remember what I'm remembering and better yet have the files? Too late for use in the TDTWWA single episode but potentially useful when they get to the tracks proper on The Fragile.

Love the pod, hope I get to run into you two at Red Rocks.

They were embedded in .swf files. I have those original swf's in the nin.com section of www.nindestruct.com

Edit: I also have them in the multitracks section, but I don't remember what format, and I'm at work right now.
    Last edited by Pyract; 08-16-2022 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yes! Thanks to Pyract's site I have all those flash clips from nin.com way back when. I had so much fun playing with the Big Come Down remixer back in the day. I've even used those "stems" a bit in some of my mashup work on the pod, and I'll probably pull up some more when we discuss those tracks on the album.

Thank you so much to everyone for the kind words above. They mean the actual world to me and Jess, and it keeps us going. We're proud of The Fragile episodes we're putting out so far; it's my favorite NIN album and I think some of our best podcast work.

See everyone at Red Rocks!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I heard the confusion on the Halo 13 episode about the version of "Starfuckers, Inc." from the TDTWWA single. Just to clarify, there really is a version with the audience chanting "Nine Inch Nails!" at the end, but it looks like it's exclusive to the cassette single. Unfortunately, this info wasn't as clear on the NIN wiki as it could have been at the time that you guys were researching. I work hard to help keep the wiki accurate, but I didn't realize this info had gotten murky over multiple years and multiple edits.

You can see discussion about the cassette here:
    https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...formats)/page2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/4kQ...urce=copy-link

Charlie Clouser did an interview on Nailed.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Cool tidbit (among many) from that interview: "Rotation" was a working title for "Big Come Down".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I heard the confusion on the Halo 13 episode about the version of "Starfuckers, Inc." from the TDTWWA single. Just to clarify, there really is a version with the audience chanting "Nine Inch Nails!" at the end, but it looks like it's exclusive to the cassette single. Unfortunately, this info wasn't as clear on the NIN wiki as it could have been at the time that you guys were researching. I work hard to help keep the wiki accurate, but I didn't realize this info had gotten murky over multiple years and multiple edits.

You can see discussion about the cassette here:
    https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...formats)/page2
    Sorry it took me forever to see this. Thanks for that additional info! Would LOVE to hear this version if anyone has uploaded it.

Also thanks everyone for checking out our interview with Charlie! It was an amazing, life-altering experience, and he was so generous with his stories and wisdom.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Now I want Charlie to supply more Deviations material that Trent might not even know about. There's stuff that's been mentioned in interviews over the years that never made it into Deviations, like the three or so alternate versions of 10 Miles High.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Sorry it took me forever to see this. Thanks for that additional info! Would LOVE to hear this version if anyone has uploaded it.
    I put it on a torrent site ages and ages ago from my own cassette rip, so it may still be in circulation out there.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    After listening to this version (via nindestruct.com), the chanting is only coming from one person and it's VERY faint. Just wanted to point that out so that I don't look like I was trying to say that the chanting is prominent. And I'm not hearing it on the live KISS track, so it had to be added in. Still an interesting, if subtle, little easter egg.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    After listening to this version (via nindestruct.com), the chanting is only coming from one person and it's VERY faint. Just wanted to point that out so that I don't look like I was trying to say that the chanting is prominent. And I'm not hearing it on the live KISS track, so it had to be added in. Still an interesting, if subtle, little easter egg.
    Yeah, it would be a bit weird to chant "Nine Inch Nails" at a KISS concert.

But anyway, there's a bit more than just one person chanting going on here. After listening to both versions carefully, I think I've figured it out.

The KISS "Whoooo!" ends at about 5:02. There's an immediate surge of crowd noise, and then you can hear a couple(?) girls(?) chanting "Nine Inch Nails" in the right channel starting at about 5:05. Soon after that is where it diverges.

On the CD, the Complication guitar drone comes in at about 5:07, and at 5:09, the crowd noise loops back to the surge of crowd noise again, and you can hear the girls' chant starting again at about 5:12.

On the Cassette, there is no Complication and the crowd noise track does not loop. Instead, the crowd noise continues with the girls' chant dying out after a few seconds, and starting at about 5:13, you can hearing a deeper chant of "Nine Inch Nails" which sounds like a large portion of the crowd participating and which continues until fade-out.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Yeah, it would be a bit weird to chant "Nine Inch Nails" at a KISS concert.
    I just meant that something was definitely added in, just in case someone would listen to it and think that the people chanting are saying something else, due to the fact that it's hard to make out. I can't articulate myself very well on what little sleep I've had lately. Fuck.

And you're right that there's more to it than what I said. It's been a few days since I listened and I should have listened again. I was just feeling self-conscious. My anxiety has been really bad lately.
    Last edited by piggy; 12-06-2022 at 04:25 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post

The KISS "Whoooo!" ends at about 5:02.
    Believe it or not (and TR is a recovering KISS army member, so I can believe it) that's not actually Paul Stanley but TR doing his best to sound exactly like him. You hear the same vocal in isolation several times in Adrian Sherwood's remix from Things Falling Apart, so it's definitely on TR's vocal track with no crowd noise. I also don't hear that particular "whooo!" anywhere on the original Alive II track that the fireworks explosion and "goodnight!!" is sampled from. There's one a little bit before that but it's not exactly the same:

My theory is that TR did the big "I have becommmmmee!!! WHOOOO!" vocal performance and someone pointed out how much it sounded like that KISS track so they said "fuck it, let's put the fireworks and crowd in to match". Then when it got to the "we want KISS" chant, they thought it would be funny to replace that with "Nine Inch Nails". So there we have it... but the album just cuts that part out anyway. So it turned out mostly to be a pretty expensive fireworks sample and an in-joke for those diehards who bought the single.
    Last edited by botley; 12-06-2022 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Cool tidbit (among many) from that interview: "Rotation" was a working title for "Big Come Down".
    That mystery is finally solved!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I also don't hear that particular "whooo!" anywhere on the original Alive II track that the fireworks explosion and "goodnight!!" is sampled from. There's one a little bit before that but it's not exactly the same:

I took the "Whoooo!" at 2:51 into Audition and sped it up to 80% of the original and it sounds pretty close, though it has the band behind it so it's not isolated. I don't feel like listening to Kiss Alive II in its entirety, but they could have just sampled it from elsewhere on the album versus it being TR's vocal.

Either way, I love how we're getting into the fine details of these versions, love this kind of stuff. I just came to this thread I just today finally checked out the podcast because of the Charlie Clouser interview and now I'm starting with the Fragile episodes. I'm really enjoying things so far!
    Last edited by trollmanen; 12-16-2022 at 12:41 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The vocal isolation on Ripe with Decay for the latest episode, at about 1:13:26, made me realize that it has a melody that's extremely close to a part in the guitar solo for And All That Could Have Been. Maybe it's the same.

Check it at 3:20ish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I first heard about this all the episodes were on Google Podcasts, but now it only goes back to Halo 8. Anyone know why the earliest episodes are gone?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionysus74 View Post
    When I first heard about this all the episodes were on Google Podcasts, but now it only goes back to Halo 8. Anyone know why the earliest episodes are gone?
    They’ve gone further down the spiral, underneath it all, at the heart of it all.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I don't have a clue honestly but they are on Stitcher so there's that.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/nailed