Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1398

Thread: Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) SPOILERS

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It just occurred to me that front artwork for Bad Witch might be inspired by Instagram™: square-shaped pictures, three in a row, weird colours as if their author went to town with filters... in that light, the music is just a little framework for an ongoing series of (not the actual) events

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Idk if this has been posted here yet, but here is a pic of the postcard from JB-HiFi
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BkhNAOFn...ed=trentreznor

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well this is a bit off topic yet also on topic as folks here were discussing 24 bit digital versus CD versus vinyl, etc. I just discovered Japan has developed a new 24 bit CD disc that are taken from a DSD masters and it can play up to 24/356. I've only seen Hi-Res digital files go up to 24/192. DSD is another type of hi-res digital music format that is loved by some audiophiles. I've actually seen A LOT of vinyl rips done using DSD, but it is a much larger format. You will see in the video below, the hardest part is finding a player for MQA CDs as it is a new CD format and players that can decode the MQA audio are expensive. The main thing is making a cheaper, commercial player if MQA became more popular. You would just need a specific player for it or else it just plays as a normal 16/44 CD. But it's still an amazing idea to have something that works both ways.

Techmoan did a whole video on it and at one point due to a glitch in the converter he found, the MQA CD starts jumping between normal 16/44khz CD quality to the MQA 24/356khz. You can hear when that happens and even he says there is a big audible difference in quality and prefers the MQA 356khz audio.

I don't want to turn it into a discussion that derails the thread, just thought folks here who love the CD format would be interested in this "new" format as brings them together with the Hi-Res audiophile nuts like me.

http://www.mqa.co.uk

Trent needs to release some MQA CD editions of the trilogy and Definitive Editions. That way we can keep a CD format that merges both standard 16/44 and newer Hi-Res audio into one. Everyone wins.
    Last edited by neorev; 06-28-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I remembered this song last night

I was thinking this song could fit so well in the new tour.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Idk if this has been posted here yet, but here is a pic of the postcard from JB-HiFi
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BkhNAOFn...ed=trentreznor
    Is this person in America? I ordered one but they said I might not get it for up to 6 weeks because I'm in America.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) SPOILERS

I live in California and got my JB-Hi Fi postcard today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post

Awesome! I’m in AZ, so hopefully mine will show up tomorrow or Saturday.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Here's the whisper from the middle of Shit Mirror reversed, by the way.

"Whatever's there for them, inside." It sounds a lot like that, as previously stated.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    Here's the whisper from the middle of Shit Mirror reversed, by the way.

"Whatever's there for them, inside." It sounds a lot like that, as previously stated.
    Pretty sure it's not backwards. Reversed sounds have a distinctive quality about them that this doesn't have, and the cadence of human speech also sounds unnatural reversed.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I mean the audio I just posted most definitely is reversed, but if you mean that the whisper on the track is meant to be heard as is, here it is as it was on the original track.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

That is so sweet, I missed on that, never even saw it was available till a week after it was over, is it true it was only some $22? That’s insane if so. Majorly bummed about missing it.

Don’t suppose anyone ordered extras?

Last edited by Ryan Tollefson; 06-29-2018 at 12:29 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tollefson View Post
    That is so sweet, I missed on that, never even saw it was available till a week after it was over, is it true it was only some $22? That’s insane if so. Majorly bummed about missing it.

Yes! It was 28 Australian so it came out to maybe $21 or $22? That’s why I ordered it, I am not about to spend a ton of money on a signature I didn’t acquire myself. I thought this was pretty cool for the price.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes! It was 28 Australian so it came out to maybe $21 or $22? That’s why I ordered it, I am not about to spend a ton of money on a signature I didn’t acquire myself. I thought this was pretty cool for the price.
    Yea I’d of prob paid max $50 US for it , I can’t believe I missed it. I check these forums every day (pretty much) since NTAE and never caught wind of it. Hating myself right now lol

I’d even take a high quality actual size scan it just looks so bad ass, need it for the man cave, somebody please hook me up!?

Last edited by Ryan Tollefson; 06-29-2018 at 12:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tollefson View Post
    Yea I’d of prob paid max $50 US for it , I can’t believe I missed it. I check these forums every day (pretty much) since NTAE and never caught wind of it. Hating myself right now lol

I’d even take a high quality actual size scan it just looks so bad ass, need it for the man cave, somebody please hook me up!?

Sure, here's a scan of mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone here from the UK notice that Radio 6Music is making quite a big deal of Bad Witch? I don’t think either of the first two in the trilogy got much of a mention, never mind airtime. It was album of the day on Monday and they’ve been playing GBDTD a few times a day. It Would be cool if NIN had been on their playlists already, but I only ever heard Head Like a Hole being played before. 6Music freaking love Bowie, so I do wonder if the Bowie influences on GBDTD have helped propel Bad Witch into their consciousness. Not complaining though! There’s also an interview with Trent and Atticus here

Sorry if this was already shared.
    Last edited by MissFixed; 06-29-2018 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Re wording

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I think it was because they look at it as an LP and there was no UK (or even European) tour for the earlier EPs.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    BBC Radio 6 Interview

Part 1 - Bad Witch

Part 2 - This Is America

Part 3 - Writing Film Scores

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am sorry, if someone already mentioned that here, can't find the tread... Does the sound of BW vinyl sounds bad / good to you? I bought vinyl because of depth of sound etc, and since AD VIOLENCE it sounds pretty flat to me. NTAE was perfect, but I can't enjoy last two. It sounds better from youtube to me. Does anyone has the same problem?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by karmachiale View Post
    I am sorry, if someone already mentioned that here, can't find the tread... Does the sound of BW vinyl sounds bad / good to you?
    I was impressed with the sound quality of Bad Witch on vinyl.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Got my CD and currently enjoying this EP (yes it's an EP, sir!). Probably the best of the three and even though I disparaged "God Break Down the Door", I feel it really works within the tracklist. Love it!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Awesome! Do you know the dimensions? Thinking about getting an estimate on a custom frame.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    JB HiFi order shipped from AUS but without tracking. Merchbar white vinyl has not shipped. Let's see which one arrives first.
    CD + autographed postcard arrived today from Australia. It was mostly well protected in a bubble envelope with a cardboard backing board but small crease in the postcard. Oh well. Still pretty cool.

Merchbar white vinyl will be here on Tuesday.

The winner is: JB HIFI

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Awesome! Do you know the dimensions? Thinking about getting an estimate on a custom frame.
    5-11/16 x 8-1/4"

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I just discovered Japan has developed a new 24 bit CD disc that are taken from a DSD masters and it can play up to 24/356. I've only seen Hi-Res digital files go up to 24/192. DSD is another type of hi-res digital music format that is loved by some audiophiles. I've actually seen A LOT of vinyl rips done using DSD, but it is a much larger format.
    Couple of things to note, here. MQA CDs themselves do not physically contain anything other than Redbook standard 16bit/44.1kHz stereo PCM audio. The MQA format is designed to play back at that resolution, whether your system decodes it or not. If it does decode it, you're hearing a copy of a master that has been re-hashed so it will fit in that smaller container — just like a lossy MP3 version of the original audio is designed to do. No free lunch, here: you get Redbook audio on a Redbook disc.

It's been documented for years now that TR & AR do not record their music at anything higher than 24bit/48kHz PCM. They remastered the Definitive Edition versions of the NIN catalogue (and The Fragile: Deviations 1) at 24bit/96kHz because these contained archival music including some analogue sources. These 96kHz files that came on free downloads included with the vinyl discs are the Defnitive Edition remasters, just as they came out of the studio; no other format will sound more faithful to what they wanted than these. DSD is a different capture format for hi-resolution music, it's not the medium that NIN uses (with the exception of the deluxe 2004 SACD Downward Spiral reissue). The Definitive Edition remasters, as far as we know, weren't captured with DSD and converting the files we already have to DSD would serve no purpose.

Do I ever use MQA? You bet your buttons. I subscribe to Tidal HiFi for music streaming, and it includes versions of recordings that play over their app to my audio interface after 'unfolding' using software processing. But they aren't as good as the original masters, though this is the claim. I've heard some of the original DSD versions that these MQA streams were converted from. There's not a big difference, but MQA doesn't quite get it all in there, just as MP3 does not quite capture all of a CD. I have the NIN remasters already, too... I don't want to buy them all again just to get something a few steps removed that also plays on a CD player (when I can just burn a CD instead).

But it's still an amazing idea to have something that works both ways.

Techmoan did a whole video on it and at one point due to a glitch in the converter he found, the MQA CD starts jumping between normal 16/44khz CD quality to the MQA 24/356khz. You can hear when that happens and even he says there is a big audible difference in quality and prefers the MQA 356khz audio.

I don't want to turn it into a discussion that derails the thread, just thought folks here who love the CD format would be interested in this "new" format as brings them together with the Hi-Res audiophile nuts like me.
    I'm very skeptical about this, particularly because that Dire Straits disc that was glitching between MQA and Redbook was originally recorded in the early 80s at only standard digital resolution! The SACD copy of the album he had in the video contained a Surround 5.1 mix at high resolution, plus it was a Hybrid disc backwards-compatible with standard CD players. Isn't that the superior solution that still works both ways?

Trent needs to release some MQA CD editions of the trilogy and Definitive Editions. That way we can keep a CD format that merges both standard 16/44 and newer Hi-Res audio into one. Everyone wins.
    Personally, I disagree. The solution currently offered (hi-res downloads offered at the original un-compromised master resolution, in addition to standard physical formats you don't need expensive new gear to play back as intended) is ideal. Unless you want to go the surround 5.1 route, that is...

Come to think of it, all three of the latest records would sound great in 5.1! Maybe a combined release should include that... would be fun to have them on a single Blu-ray/SACD deluxe package.
    Last edited by botley; 06-29-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @botley
    I remember Trent even saying something about Broken and Fixed 5.1, which would be wicked. Perhaps an NIN albums in 5.1 boxset.

Personally, I would prefer Blu-ray. But I do find it interesting in trying to create a disc format that can handle both. That way folks have the ability to play it in their standard CD players while also having the ability to play Hi-Res if they have the gear to play it.

I thought MQA was interesting and going above 24/96 or 24/192 is probably something that will happen down the line in the future. Hell, there's even high end portable players that can handle up to 32 bit. So the future of music production is definitely gonna be interesting and is constantly evolving. Sadly the music of the past is recorded in the best quality that it could be recorded in and nothing will change that.

But I do wish we had a definitive Hi-Res physical CD format. Just fucking pick one lol. Blu-ray is there. I've seen artists use it. But here we are still creating SACDs and MQA CDs, further dividing the audiophile community thus nothing really getting a foothold leading to the premature demise of each format. At least Blu-ray has a history and is still around.
    Last edited by neorev; 06-29-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I think Trent is done with surround sound releases. It's been almost eight years since The Social Network score was released, and when The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo OST came out, Trent even said they couldn't do a surround sound release because of some long, complicated reason. My guess is that they just don't sell very well. It's a niche market, especially today with digital downloads and streaming services.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Did you receive this here in the US? If so, how was it mailed to you? USPS? UPS? DHL? I'm about to leave for Germany for the Berlin show and had our mail held while we're away, so I really hope you say it arrived via USPS so that it doesn't get delivered by one of those other services and potentially sits out for many days before we're home.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I think Trent is done with surround sound releases. It's been almost eight years since The Social Network score was released, and when The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo OST came out, Trent even said they couldn't do a surround sound release because of some long, complicated reason. My guess is that they just don't sell very well. It's a niche market, especially today with digital downloads and streaming services.
    Never say never! I think the 5.1 mix of The Fragile will eventually see the light of day.
    @neorev Yes, a NIN surround box set would be DOPE! Kind of like the Pixies' Minotaur (done with TR's buddies at Artist In Residence)... I still play The Downward Spiral in 5.1 regularly, would be nice to have it on Blu-ray.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @botley
    I'm thinking maybe next year on The Fragile's anniversary we may get The Fragile 5.1 to celebrate. I know Trent also hinted at reissuing And All That Could Have Been live video. A cool idea would be releasing them together as one package, perhaps a double Blu-ray set. Perhaps around this time we'll also get the Still vinyl reissue Trent mentioned.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @botley
    P.S. Maybe one day we'll get The Downward Spiral 5.1 on Blu-ray with Closure tour footage included

Then Hesitation Marks with full Tension live footage.