Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Watchmen

Getting a new series on HBO, with showrunner Damon Lindelof. I still don't trust him after Lost & Prometheus. His passionate letter to the fans yesterday explaining his love for the source material & how the show is going to be set in the Watchmen world in present time with new characters did nothing for my tempered approach to this.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/23/1...racters-remake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ughh

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Loved the book HARD, tried to get into the movie a few times and it just got progressively worse on each viewing. Zero expectation that this TV version will be any better. Maybe a fresh approach without reference to the original is a good idea, maybe it'll just be another bloated confusing mess.
    Last edited by botley; 05-24-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I love the original Graphic Novel and i like the movie, i even have a Watchmen tattoo, you can say i'm a fan!

I don't know what to think of this, at first i thought it could be similar to the "Before Watchmen" miniseries, but now it seems even the creators don't know what the project is about.
    I smell a train-wreck, of course i could be wrong (and i hope i am...), but this just seems like an unrelated series with the Watchmen name attached.
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 05-25-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm going to be wary about the series. I don't trust Damon Linedlof either. I have my copy of the graphic novel as it's one of my favorite purchases.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fuck yeah!!!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn9QsXRg...d=lie6xziy355m

Please see thread in TR&AR score section.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Great now I kinda have to watch whether Damon fucks it up or not.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I know this was shared over in the other thread (twice!) but worth sharing it here so we can keep this thread alive a little so we can keep spoilers out of the other one hopefully.

Don Johnson looks good in this. Been getting a lot more high-profile stuff lately. Glad he's doing something a little more left-of-center than previous TV gigs he had.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Hate to sound like Alan Moore, but i'm not feeling this at all...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I have faith in Lindelof after The Leftovers.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I have faith in Lindelof after The Leftovers.
    Agreed. I love The Leftovers!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Why can't he be President Robert Redford in real life?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    We might find out why

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    First episode was good. I'm surprised at how much action there was just to start off with. I imagine this could change as the show goes on, but I didn't think it would start off with quite the bang.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was super impressed with the first episode, can't wait for the rest.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    First episode was good. I'm surprised at how much action there was just to start off with. I imagine this could change as the show goes on, but I didn't think it would start off with quite the bang.
    Prolly knew they needed to hook people in considering how big this is getting pushed.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Could one of the admins perhaps pin this thread? As to keep this purely about the show and plot-specific talk separate from the other thread?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    After this second episode does it seem possible Spoiler: that Jeremy Irons is actually playing Dr. Manhattan? There were a few allusions in this episode about him being able to change form, and some of the stuff going on with Irons' character could be explained if he was actually Dr. Manhattan. As far as I remember from the book, Ozymandias wouldn't have any way of knowing all of the finer details of Manhattans origin...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    After this second episode does it seem possible Spoiler: that Jeremy Irons is actually playing Dr. Manhattan? There were a few allusions in this episode about him being able to change form, and some of the stuff going on with Irons' character could be explained if he was actually Dr. Manhattan. As far as I remember from the book, Ozymandias wouldn't have any way of knowing all of the finer details of Manhattans origin...

Also, while I'm loving this show, I'm concerned it's becoming a little twisty for no other reason than for the sake of twistiness.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i'm about to watch episode 2; loved episode 1.

I also recently read the original material, which is only the second comic i've ever read, the other being the walking dead, since trying archie as a kid and deciding that comics weren't for me.
    And GOOD GOD, Watchmen fucking blew my mind. I was SO moved by it, intellectually. I'm STILL thinking about it, and i read it before watching episode 1. I really liked the movie, but, after seeing the original material, i understand why comic fans didn't. There wasn't quite enough there to capture the full spirit of the thing.

One thing that freaked me out about episode one: that massacre- the Tulsa massacre- at the beginning, really happened. Having lived my whole life in Dallas/Fort Worth, or up in the Panhandle, i can't believe i'd never heard of it. We damn sure didn't learn about it in history class.
    It was the "single worst incident of racial violence in american history," perpetrated against the "wealthiest black community in the United States:" an area of Tulsa, which was called Black Wall Street. I thought that scene was part of the alternate history thing.
    I guess they've done a good job of burying THAT shit.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i'm about to watch episode 2; loved episode 1.

I also recently read the original material, which is only the second comic i've ever read, the other being the walking dead, since trying archie as a kid and deciding that comics weren't for me.
    And GOOD GOD, Watchmen fucking blew my mind. I was SO moved by it, intellectually. I'm STILL thinking about it, and i read it before watching episode 1. I really liked the movie, but, after seeing the original material, i understand why comic fans didn't. There wasn't quite enough there to capture the full spirit of the thing.

One thing that freaked me out about episode one: that massacre- the Tulsa massacre- at the beginning, really happened. Having lived my whole life in Dallas/Fort Worth, or up in the Panhandle, i can't believe i'd never heard of it. We damn sure didn't learn about it in history class.
    It was the "single worst incident of racial violence in american history," perpetrated against the "wealthiest black community in the United States:" an area of Tulsa, which was called Black Wall Street. I thought that scene was part of the alternate history thing.
    I guess they've done a good job of burying THAT shit.
    we've been talking about it in the score thread, but yeah, the massacre was covered up until about 15 or so years ago when it really started to come to light in the public. i'm so glad that they opened the show with it and brought some (much-needed) attention to it.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Has anyone called the phone number from Ep 2?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post

Also, while I'm loving this show, I'm concerned it's becoming a little twisty for no other reason than for the sake of twistiness.
    Spoiler: He definitely is Ozymandias. His disregard for human life, having his servants call him "master", it all screams Adrian Veidt. And his horse's name is Bucephalus, the only fitting name for someone who thinks of himself as another Alexander the Great

I never expected to like this as much as I do but this show is amazing.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Two episodes deep now and this show is still so much better than I ever thought it would, or could, be. I might have liked episode 2 even more than the pilot. It's well-written and nuanced in ways that remind me of the source material, which is something I never thought I would say. The constant but seamless world-building, the wide array of genuinely compelling characters, the pervading aura of dread and conspiracy...it is in many respects an incredibly faithful follow-up, and yet has also (necessarily) forged an identity and purpose all its own. Spoiler: The way this episode made in-universe fiction part of its content in the "American Hero Story" segment reminded me a great deal of some of the narrative devices in the original, while also seeming like a hilarious riff on Snyder's gratuitously violent version, and the whole sequence with almost-certainly-Ozymandias directing The Watchmaker's Son adaptation of Dr. Manhattan's origin and blithely incinerating one of his clones (or something) was spectacular. It's faithful to the density of the comic and there's so much to unpack per episode - the exact opposite of binge television and I love it. Naturally, Trent & Atticus bring it and match the quality. Hoping it stays this strong!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Do we know if this was planned as a single-season show, or is it going to have more seasons?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Behind the scenes type explainer on the Looking Glass mask > https://www.polygon.com/tv/2019/10/2...ing-glass-mask [spoiler free]