233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The way it should be IMO.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    well, i just used this gif in reaction to mindhunter being indefinitely delayed, and i'll use it here, too:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Honestly this was so perfect as a one and done.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    On one hand, I loved this show so much that I can't help but wish there were more coming ("just hook it to my veins!!"). However, on the other hand, they did end it pretty much as perfectly as they possibly could have, so I'm kind of okay with it because of that. BUT I can't help but think there could be another interesting story to tell. I'd like to see Angela with her Dr. Manhattan powers and they could introduce more new characters, and explore a potential storyline with Dan (Nite Owl) being in Prison and then Veidt showing up after the events of season 1 and the two of them having to work together to get out of prison and partner with Angela to stop a new threat that emerges (or something). Oh and obviously bring back Looking Glass!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    HBO is on for free this weekend. The binge has begun on this!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Blu-ray is coming June 2, but there unfortunately doesn't appear to be a 4K release happening. It blows my mind that they aren't releasing this in 4K. Over on Reddit, someone who seems to be from the film crew mentioned the following:
    We shot the show on Arri Alexa Mini’s... which is only 3.2k... so they could technically upres it... but HBO doesn’t stream in 4K so it isn’t mandatory like it is for Netflix/Sony etc.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Blu-ray is coming June 2, but there unfortunately doesn't appear to be a 4K release happening. It blows my mind that they aren't releasing this in 4K. Over on Reddit, someone who seems to be from the film crew mentioned the following:
    We shot the show on Arri Alexa Mini’s... which is only 3.2k... so they could technically upres it... but HBO doesn’t stream in 4K so it isn’t mandatory like it is for Netflix/Sony etc.
    Which means the editing was probably done on a 2K digital intermediate.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I've been waiting for a Blu-ray of Carnivále for many years. Such a beautifully filmed show. I have the original DVD sets, which look lovely. But I wanna own this show in HD. Only way to watch it on HD is through HBO Go. Be amazing to get it in 4K if possible. I fucking love this series so much. Can't believe HBO turned down Marvel's offer to continue it as graphic novels and its creator is blocked from finishing it.
    Last edited by neorev; 02-18-2020 at 04:56 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    any word on special features?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    any word on special features?
    Click it!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    you know I've waited this long without seeing it, I think I'll wait for the discs so it's not streaming quality.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    you know I've waited this long without seeing it, I think I'll wait for the discs so it's not streaming quality.
    Watched mine via the Apple ecosystem and it looked killer... and the extras for it are the same as the blu-ray release... but I'll still be buying the discs.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Watched mine via the Apple ecosystem and it looked killer... and the extras for it are the same as the blu-ray release... but I'll still be buying the discs.
    Yeah, I also thought the streaming quality was great. I watched via HBO Go though Amazon Firesitck.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Click it!
    heh, i guess i should have before i asked thanks for not calling me an idiot <3

not as many special features as i would have hoped (given that some of them were already on HBO GO) but i'd still like to own it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Corridor did a segment on the VFX of the mask that Looking Glass wears...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    oh my god, petey dressing as sister night <3 <3 <3

also, tom mison is just so fucking hot.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    What happened to Redford appearing as himself? I read a few articles saying he would be on the show, but you just end up hearing his name a lot and maybe a few pictures of him, but nothing else.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    What happened to Redford appearing as himself? I read a few articles saying he would be on the show, but you just end up hearing his name a lot and maybe a few pictures of him, but nothing else.
    Oh yeah, you're right! I totally forgot about that. Guessing it fell through because he was asking for too much money or he only had one cameo scene and it was cut for time. Maybe they thought it ultimately felt forced and/or unnecessary?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Watched this today. All of it. That was....intense.

Normally, I would have turned something like this off right at the beginning. I don't do well with portrayals of racial violence. I'm not saying I think they shouldn't be broadcast or something like that. They just make me indescribably angry, and right now that's an emotion I really do not have room for. But between being sucked in by the music (both the TR/AR score and the other selections) and the overall storyline (which I knew literally nothing about when I started off), I just couldn't bring myself to let much time go by before continuing on with the story. I'm actually glad to see that they're not doing a second season. As much as I enjoyed just about every aspect of the production, I feel like I got enough out of it. Going any further would, to me, stretch it too thin and leave us with a much lower quality result than what I just saw.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    DVD pre-order showed up early on Monday!
    I thought it was weird that they used Rorschach on the Steelbook cover, so I sprang for the standard version with Angela on the cover.
    Looking forward to re-watching this, as painfully relevant as it is to our current situation.
    Last edited by Soma; 06-04-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I just started watching this series on HBO Max. I'm halfway through the first episode and I have no idea what's going on. Things are bizzare and I feel odd and uncomfortable. I think that's the point.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    I just started watching this series on HBO Max. I'm halfway through the first episode and I have no idea what's going on. Things are bizzare and I feel odd and uncomfortable. I think that's the point.
    Did you ever read the original comic/graphic novel or at least see the 2009 movie? The former is ideal, but the latter would suffice. You just need to know that there were changes made to the movie (primarily the ending) and the HBO show is a sequel to the comic, so the ending from the comic is canon and important to know about.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The graphic novel is a piece of historical literature. Not because it's old, but because it's just that damned important. The narrative, the way the story is told, the visual language, the world building.

If you like the Watchmen series, you absolutely owe it to yourself to source a copy.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I haven't read the graphic novel, but did see the movie years ago (don't remember much of it, but I remember enjoying it) . I will have to seek out the graphic novel series!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    I haven't read the graphic novel, but did see the movie years ago (don't remember much of it, but I remember enjoying it) . I will have to seek out the graphic novel series!
    To clarify, the one you want is the 1986 novel by Alan Moore. It's just one book.

If you absolutely love it, there was also a 'Before Watchmen' prequel series released around 2012. Although these weren't approved by Moore and vary in quality, they're still worth reading.

Watchmen Noir is just the original graphic novel with the colours stripped out. They didn't bother to add any halftones, so the result is just the stark, raw lineart. I'd suggest avoiding this.
    Last edited by katara; 06-06-2020 at 01:48 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I bought the series at Best Buy. I got the exclusive steelbook version. Very nice. I plan on watching it sometime soon.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Along with Chernobyl, Watchmen earned a Peabody Award

"The Peabody institutional award “goes to programs that have made a significant impact on media programming and the cultural landscape."

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/pea...ns-1234629981/