Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Continued from the 'What Are You Watching' thread. Context: I mentioned that I wasn't digging the show.

I just don't find the story very interesting, TBH. Like, there are some interesting aspects of the show but they don't come together as a whole for me. I don't mind weird, weird can be good and intriguing but here it just falls flat for me. I don't know. I just don't connect with any of the characters or really care about any of them. I *like* some of them but I'm not, like, invested in them, if that makes sense.

*spoilers* if you aren't caught up

So, I accidentally had it spoiled that Spoiler: Cal is Dr. Manhattan and I am trying to stick with it until at LEAST that episode because I am ridiculously curious what they are going to do with that. Plus, Spoiler: Dr. Manhattan was, by FAR, my favorite character from the book. I would happily watch a show just focused on him.

And like, Lindelof has earned a lot of good will with me because The Leftovers is one of my favorite shows ever, and it took 6 episodes before I was finally hooked. And that show was also super weird and, similar to Watchmen, they would have these incredibly weird things happen with no explanation and wouldn't fill you in on what was actually happening until later in the season. And I *loved* that. It didn't bother me at all with that show. It worked. But here it just doesn't work for me. The mysteries aren't super intriguing and the characters aren't super engaging to me, so I'm just kind of passively watching and hoping that it eventually grabs me.

That all being said, Regina King, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Cal), Jeremy Irons and *especially* Tim Blake Nelson are all so much fun to watch. I have really been enjoying their performances.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    That's fair enough.

I always wanted a sequel to the movie or something, then heard this was coming and just assumed it was a straight up TV adaptation of the movie. The first couple of episodes I wasn't too bothered and just thought it was good but not amazing, then decided to keep watching anyway. Every subsequent episode has blown me away. I hear you on the actors & actresses too, it's great casting and they are brilliant to watch.

My favourite has been Veidt/Ozymandias. Those scenes have been what I look forward to each episode and I'm so curious as to how he may tie in in the finale.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I can honestly say I've been enthralled with this show since the very first episode. The score is a big reason why, but the whole cattle ranch battle scene was fantastic. I wish there were more episodes to look forward to beyond this Sunday's finale.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Whats with the horseshoe?!?

I assume the little elephant Veidt mentions was a nod to him knowing and speaking with Trieu.

And most importantly, why was Jon's donger so big?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I wish there were more episodes to look forward to beyond this Sunday's finale.
    HBO's own graphics continue to refer to Sunday's episode as a Season Finale. To me that indicates additional seasons are, at the very least, still under consideration. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    HBO's own graphics continue to refer to Sunday's episode as a Season Finale. To me that indicates additional seasons are, at the very least, still under consideration. At least that's what I'm telling myself.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. I wish there were more episodes in this season beyond this Sunday's season finale (sorry for the confusion). Despite what's been said by Lindelof in recent interviews (as discussed on the previous page), and given the success of the show, I anticipate there being at least one or two more seasons. It's too good to be over already! And as long as they treat each season like its own contained story, I don't think they'll fuck it up by trying to build to something big over several seasons, but trying to figure it as they go, only to have it fizzle out or fall apart and be disappointingly anticlimactic.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 12-11-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: proper punctuation

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I’d be into a two hour finale. Hell I’ll take an extra 20 minutes!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    What a finale!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great finale. One thing that happened really confused me however (don’t want to spoil it tho) but outside of that, it was fantastic.

Also, latest petypedia entry has a little bit about ‘The Nine Inch Nails’ in there.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InvitingmeAway View Post
    Great finale. One thing that happened really confused me however (don’t want to spoil it tho) but outside of that, it was fantastic.

Also, latest petypedia entry has a little bit about ‘The Nine Inch Nails’ in there.
    It also, at least in my opinion, gives the show a potential plot-line for a second season.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    *spoilers for the last episode*

Is it just me or is Spoiler: the scene where Lady Trieu visits Veight at his compound an homage to the scene in Back to the Future when Marty shows up at Doc's house in 1955? Like it is SO similar. As a BTTF fan this made me super happy.

Edit: Oh! Ok, just watched a little further and Spoiler: Veight makes a joke about an actor being the president. Come ON, this HAS to be a reference to BTTF, right?!

Edit again: Spoiler: Ok, even the outfit he wears is super similar to the one Doc wears in the movie. This has to be an homage. This made me unreasonably happy.
    Last edited by theruiner; 12-15-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Season 2 better be dedicated to the story of Lubeman.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I believe the "cowboy actor" was a reference to Reagan and/or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Oh Ozy, you never disappoint.

Also: ARCHIE!

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    She also mentions a re-run, which, given the context, I think is also a reference to BTTF.

Also, Spoiler: the warden shooting Veight and him falling to the ground, only to come back to life while the warden is standing over him seems to be an homage to Back to the Future 3

Like, all of that can't be a coincidence.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my friend clint's recap of the episode

and a vanity fair discussion with damen lindelof regarding the closing song of the episode

that was fantastic. these 9 episodes of television were incredible. i love how many perfectly-crafted, limited-run shows we've been getting lately. between this, hill house, and mindhunter, TV is in a really good place.

also, i don't remember if i said it on here, but Spoiler: i knew that the statue of veidt in lady trieu's garden/office was actually him frozen in some kind of metal. i fucking knew it.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 12-16-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Absolutely brilliant episode. Spoiler: I had somewhat anticipated Veidt and Trieu being in cahoots, even that they were related and that her daughter was actually a clone of her mother, but how they pieced everything together worked better than I expected! And (unless I misinterpreted) the gold statue that we saw earlier in episode 4 was actually Veidt still in his "frozen in carbonite" status from his trip from Europa to Earth, which is just fantastic! I also guessed right about there being one egg left in the carton and that they'd cut to black the second her foot was about to touch the water. Man, they HAVE to do a second season after that! Surely they were just playing coy about there being a second season so as not to give anything away regarding the finale, right? Either way, this was the best show of 2019 as far as I'm concerned. Also, the theory that they'd been giving away the ending in the marketing materials all along by having Angela tinted blue (against the yellow clock) turned out to be true as well, which just adds to how brilliantly executed this whole season has been! Bring on season 2!!
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 12-16-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Spoiler: That last moment was the most Lindelof thing ever. As soon as she stood next to the pool I was like oh, right, she's going to just about step onto the water and then cut to black. I know it. And I was right. Freaking Lindelof.

That's not a complaint, BTW. I just found it amusing because that is ABSOLUTELY what I would expect from him.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    She also mentions a re-run, which, given the context, I think is also a reference to BTTF.

Also, Spoiler: the warden shooting Veight and him falling to the ground, only to come back to life while the warden is standing over him seems to be an homage to Back to the Future 3

Like, all of that can't be a coincidence.
    Your spoiled part comes directly from the comics. There's a scene at the end where that happens.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    This show was perfect and the score was a masterpiece. What a time to be alive.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Between the finale of Watchmen and last night's episode of Mr. Robot...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    God between Chernobyl, Watchmen, and Mr. Robot, I feel incredibly humbled at the quality of television we all got this year.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    God between Chernobyl, Watchmen, and Mr. Robot, I feel incredibly humbled at the quality of television we all got this year.
    Throw in Netflix's Mindhunter, love that show too.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Watchmen May Not Return For Season 2, Says Damon Lindelof
    https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1...damon-lindelof

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Can I offer you an egg in this trying time?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    So, controversial opinion time. I loved this show up until the Dr. M episode. There was nothing about the episode's writing that bothered me, it was just how human they had him look. Just like a blue man instead of a god. In that same vein, I don't like that they killed him at all. He seems eternal in the comics, and I think that's sort of the point. Like, even in such a surreal and wild show, I just can't suspend my disbelief far enough to buy that a literal god was outsmarted by a bunch of humans, whether that be the 7K or Trieu.

The only time in the comic that he isn't in control is when he literally can't see what's going to happen because of Veidt's machine. In the show, he knows exactly how he's going to be killed for at least ten years, and when the time comes he just lets it happen? Him letting it happen "because it happens" isn't a good explanation. Please guys, tell me I've missed something important here?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I was thinking about it maybe having to do with him either creating life like he did on Europa OR something about the conversation he had with Angela about passing along his powers, could he have done something to the pool like he said he could do with the egg?
    @thelastdisciple for the win.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    So, controversial opinion time. I loved this show up until the Dr. M episode. There was nothing about the episode's writing that bothered me, it was just how human they had him look. Just like a blue man instead of a god. In that same vein, I don't like that they killed him at all. He seems eternal in the comics, and I think that's sort of the point. Like, even in such a surreal and wild show, I just can't suspend my disbelief far enough to buy that a literal god was outsmarted by a bunch of humans, whether that be the 7K or Trieu.

The only time in the comic that he isn't in control is when he literally can't see what's going to happen because of Veidt's machine. In the show, he knows exactly how he's going to be killed for at least ten years, and when the time comes he just lets it happen? Him letting it happen "because it happens" isn't a good explanation. Please guys, tell me I've missed something important here?
    I would say Manhattan wanter to die. He had tried being a god on earth and being a god on Europa and he ended up deciding he just wanted ten good years of being a human being and then die like we all do. I think that was actually really true to the depressed, intensely isolated vibe Dr. M always gave off. He was never outsmarted. This is what he wanted.

plus he was never literally a god. He had the power over atoms but he wasn’t omniscient.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I want to see Watchmen season two directed by a black woman. I think that would be the perfect next step on this journey, to tell the story of how a black female “god” would reshape the world.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I would say Manhattan wanter to die. He had tried being a god on earth and being a god on Europa and he ended up deciding he just wanted ten good years of being a human being and then die like we all do. I think that was actually really true to the depressed, intensely isolated vibe Dr. M always gave off. He was never outsmarted. This is what he wanted.

plus he was never literally a god. He had the power over atoms but he wasn’t omniscient.
    If he wanted to die, they could have shown that somehow. Instead all that they show is that he accepts that he will die, and even imply a few times that he doesn't want to. And he's not omniscient outside of his own experiences, but he could have willed the guy who shot him to death, or teleported away, or anything. The guy can make something out of nothing, bend matter to his will, etc. Even if he had more limits than he does, he could have just blown that guy up with the rest of them. He doesn't, but the only explanation is that he knows he doesn't. That's not good writing, which hurts to say considering how brilliantly written the first seven episodes were.

I just felt that at no point in the show did he seem all that powerful. They kept saying he was over and over, but he never showed it really.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The Watchmen movie got a lot of things wrong, but it nailed Dr. M. This is Doctor Manhattan to me: