Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    this show is doing every single thing i want it to do.
    Agreed.
    And I didn't even know what I wanted it to do, aside from capturing the philosophy of the book!

It's SO good.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So has Veidt/Ozy been imprisoned by Dr Manhattan? And, is his estate/prison in another dimension, or, in space, perhaps?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The podcast with Lindelof is fantastic.

Don't listen to this until after Ep 3.
    Last edited by Kodiak33; 11-05-2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: To save from spoiling

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So has Veidt/Ozy been imprisoned by Dr Manhattan?
    That was my take-away as well.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I feel like the idea that this show would really work without SOME knowledge of the source material is a bit disingenuous.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I feel like the idea that this show would really work without SOME knowledge of the source material is a bit disingenuous.
    my best friend is watching it, has not read the comic or seen the film, and is loving it. i think it's probably nice to know stuff about the backstory, but it's not necessary to enjoy the story as-is.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 11-06-2019 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    It's certainly FAR more rewarding for those of us who are aware of the source material and even Zack Snyder's movie, but I can see how the uninitiated could still enjoy this for what it is (because it's awesome).

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Does this show get good? Just finished ep. 1 and it was a mixed bag of good and bad. The good is that it's totally random, doesn't take itself seriously with its simple story, artsy world and cinematography, goofy dialogue, and overall everything is so over the top, that it's hard to critique, because it's obviously meant this way.

That being said, they could have at least build up one character I should care about. The ending was coming from a mile away, the Nun is cool, but not much else, her boytoy is ripped, and that's everything about him. Probably the old wheel-chair guy was the only one I was actually excited about, even after his brief scene at the middle of the episode. The plot is extremely weak. These hidden police identities requires bigger suspension of disbelief than any random sci-fi you can watch, and the moral of the story so far is that white people are dumb and racists, and being controlled by an even more comical, dumber and racist old guy. Yes, I think my extreme skills of being able to read between the lines helped me unveil this hidden message of the show.

Aside from the troll wheelchair guy, the police briefing scene was the only thing that gave me hope for this show's future. Interesting world, funny characters, and potentially interesting background stories. What's not to like about a police panda telling his commander that he's making a mistake? I'd like more from that, and less from "look at these dumb fucking southern racists".

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Does this show get good? Just finished ep. 1 and it was a mixed bag of good and bad. The good is that it's totally random, doesn't take itself seriously with its simple story, artsy world and cinematography, goofy dialogue, and overall everything is so over the top, that it's hard to critique, because it's obviously meant this way.

That being said, they could have at least build up one character I should care about. The ending was coming from a mile away, the Nun is cool, but not much else, her boytoy is ripped, and that's everything about him. Probably the old wheel-chair guy was the only one I was actually excited about, even after his brief scene at the middle of the episode.
    In my opinion, the second episode is the best of the three that have aired so far, but the world-building in this show is fantastic so far and there's a ton of potential.

The plot is extremely weak.
    I disagree. It seems simple at first glance. Until more details are revealed and things begin to become more complicated that they first appeared to be. I love the direction the show is going so far. I'd suggest at least watching the next two episodes before bailing.

These hidden police identities requires bigger suspension of disbelief than any random sci-fi you can watch, and the moral of the story so far is that white people are dumb and racists, and being controlled by an even more comical, dumber and racist old guy. Yes, I think my extreme skills of being able to read between the lines helped me unveil this hidden message of the show. Aside from the troll wheelchair guy, the police briefing scene was the only thing that gave me hope for this show's future. Interesting world, funny characters, and potentially interesting background stories. What's not to like about a police panda telling his commander that he's making a mistake? I'd like more from that, and less from "look at these dumb fucking southern racists".
    Maybe watch more than one episode before you draw drastic conclusions like this? And if there is a race-related message the show's trying to get across, it's not "look at these dumb fucking southern racists," but instead "look at how fucking dumb racism is." Would it really be such a bad thing if the show tries to show people how dumb racism is?
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 11-06-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Would it really such a bad thing if the show tries to show people how dumb racism is?
    To some, yes.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    @sonic_discord

A'ight, I'll give this some more chance then.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    @sonic_discord

A'ight, I'll give this some more chance then.
    Yeah do it. At this point, even three episodes in, there are supposed to be far more questions than answers.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    My biggest surprise was the lack of abilities. I haven't seen or read any Watchmen before, and all episode long I was waiting for some super stuff, but it was just Manhattan dude doing something on Mars.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    My biggest surprise was the lack of abilities. I haven't seen or read any Watchmen before, and all episode long I was waiting for some super stuff, but it was just Manhattan dude doing something on Mars.
    Well, you can check that expectation at the door. The only character with any actual superpowers is Dr. Manhattan and he is currently only being alluded to (aside from a very brief appearance on TV). This isn't a show you watch for the typical superhero-type stuff.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I've been heavily enjoying this so far, I've liked each episode more than the last so that's good.

Would I be somewhere near correct in saying that this is in effect a sequel to the movie set some years after those events? That's how I've been thinking about it as I'm watching and stuff seems to make sense.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    I've been heavily enjoying this so far, I've liked each episode more than the last so that's good.

Would I be somewhere near correct in saying that this is in effect a sequel to the movie set some years after those events? That's how I've been thinking about it as I'm watching and stuff seems to make sense.
    Well, it's a sequel to the comic, but you can view it somewhat as a sequel to the movie. The major issue being a certain major event was altered from the comic and did not happen in the movie. The movie used a massive nuclear type event as the reason humanity united. Besides that, for the most part, it does work as a sequel.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just watched episode 4. i am so intrigued and so excited for this to continue.

more great music (duh) in this episode, too!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This week's Peteypedia files are pretty great if you haven't looked at them yet.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    This week's Peteypedia files are pretty great if you haven't looked at them yet.
    yeah, they're both fantastic, but the second one really...i just can't stop laughing.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Is Carl like, a version of Dr. Manhattan, or, is he just sort of displaying some of his characteristics as a parallel?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Is Carl like, a version of Dr. Manhattan, or, is he just sort of displaying some of his characteristics as a parallel?
    who is carl??? as far as i know there hasn't been anyone on the show with that name...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    who is carl??? as far as i know there hasn't been anyone on the show with that name...
    I assume he means Cal, who is Angela's husband. Not sure what he has to do with Doc Manhattan though...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I assume he means Cal, who is Angela's husband. Not sure what he has to do with Doc Manhattan though...
    yeah i mean other than being bald and having a ripped bod, i don't really see any parallels. he simply believes in science and telling the truth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Am I the only one who thought Petey was the guy in the silver outfit?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Am I the only one who thought Petey was the guy in the silver outfit?
    HOLY SHIT i think you might be right

• obsessed with costumed vigilante history
    • super tall and skinny
    • would totally be awkwardly embarrassed by the nickname "lube man"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Well this is getting better and better.

I know absolutely nothing about Watchmen apart from some fragments, but it's intriguing.

That slippery silver superhero was hilarious. And the way those "people" are made, horrifying.

edit : can't write shit
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 11-13-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Dying to know what fell to earth in that couple's farm field. And why is the asian lady building that thing!

Long live Lube Man!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i meant to type Cal, yes.

it was just a thought, just having to do with his demeanor, the fact that we still don't know how his wife survived the White Night, and Agent Blake saying that her ex is "no Cal."

just a thought. it's probably not right, but this show is nuts, and i have no idea where it's going.

i'll tell you one thing, though: there's definitely going to be SOMETHING about him, i think, that we aren't seeing yet.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    HOLY SHIT i think you might be right

• obsessed with costumed vigilante history
    • super tall and skinny
    • would totally be awkwardly embarrassed by the nickname "lube man"
    We'd all be embarrassed by that name.

Him following Sister Knight around is what tipped me off.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Who else is thinking that the "jailer" of Ozymandias is either Dr Manhattan or Lady Trieu?

And we need more Lube Man.