Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Trilogy (NTAE, Add violence, Bad Witch) playing order/theories

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Does it?
    That's what it sounds like. And I think I remember Atticus saying that also. It would make sense with the Ahead of Ourselves lyrics too

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    My personal interpretation of the trilogy (especially Bad Witch).....

Last edited by dedevoce; 12-07-2018 at 02:11 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    This just occurred to me as far as titles go.

Terrible Lie - Just Like You Imagined - Another Version Of The Truth - Not The Actual Events

Since what you can imagine and what you find that's another version of the truth can be anything but the actual events, and very-well a terrible lie.

As for Add Violence, it just always reminded me of the violence portrayed in Broken and The Downard Spiral music video eras. (As well as violence in other videos from other NIN eras.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-09-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: I forgot to include Terrible Lie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I made this playlist with the more aggressive tracks of the trilogy and fuck, in some ways this feels heavier and darker than Broken.

1- Branches/Bones
    2- Shit Mirror
    3- Ahead of Ourselves
    4- She's Gone Away
    5- Not Anymore
    6- The Idea of You
    7- Burning Bright (Field on Fire)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I was listening to The Lovers and Not Anymore just now and I have a theory of what ties the whole trilogy together thematically: Trent Reznor is changing again, this time in response to the world around him.

Nine Inch Nails lyrics have always been very confessional and he has admitted to them being autobiographical on numerous occasions. They are sometimes exaggerated, like on The Downward Spiral, but ultimately still emotionally authentic and true.

To fully understand this change, we need to go back to Hesitation Marks. He says in interviews, that this album was looking back to The Downward Spiral. Processing who he was, in light of the new person he had become. Sober. Married. A father. A successful film composer. A middle-aged man. He spoke of coming back haunted. Of feeling split in two, of having survived Everything? "I've got to let go. I've got to get straight." Of burying everything he did, burning down who he was and starting anew. Hesitation Marks was even a new style of music for him. He toured with backup singers! While it was thematically dark and troubled, it is arguably the most hopeful NIN record to date. It was not nihilistic.

But then...

The world around Trent wouldn't let him finish putting the pieces together. You can hear this in While I'm Still Here, the last track on Hesitation Marks. He knows that he's okay now, but the world isn't. It's ending. He laments this. The empathy he even has here for the young lovers he watches walking by, is in stark contrast to the hardness and contempt of the 90's.

He examines the world's decline further as he composes Before The Flood. The documentary on the pending destruction of the world due to climate change. He sings a poignant song about recognizing this doom, feeling he is to blame, along with all of us, and how we will be judged by what we leave behind.

Then the last straw.

Trump.

Trump is campaigning as Trent and Atticus are making Not The Actual Events. It still hasn't become reality, but the internal darkness is already setting in. Trent considers what it would mean if he really was just the 1990's Trent Reznor all along. If that really was the real him. The way he talked about this in interviews, I thought that this was just a thought experiment that made for good music.

But I think a real change may be happening.

Trent has not reverted to the addict of the Downward Spiral and The Fragile era. But he's not the person who made Hesitation Marks anymore.He said this explicitly in an interview. That he doesn't even know who that guy is.

Something has happened. He feels genuinely angry and devastated. He thought that he was becoming whole, that he was finding peace, but no. Not Anymore.

Listen to that track.

Surprise
    I must have let it get in
    Started to turn into somebody else
    Yeah I found myself believing
    Tick tock tick
    Time
    My feet are nailed to the floor
    I always thought we would get there somehow
    I always thought there'd be
    More

Well not anymore
    Then they go on to make Bad Witch. Filled with contempt for the world around him, utterly disillusioned. The Trent of Hesitation Marks was all, "Oh Dear Lord, hear my prayer". Now he is "that is if he existed (not so sure anymore)". He's lost his faith in our ability to do better. In the value of even trying. The vulnerability and empathy are gone for other people. He's begging God to Break Down the Door and end it. He feels like he is just repeating himself, as a person, over and over again (Over and Out). A theme in the Trilogy is returning to where he has been. I don't think he's in danger of returning to the addiction. I think what he has actually returned to is the *worldview* of the old days. The nihilism. The sense that everything is meaningless and bleak and hopeless. He's got motivation in his family and career to get out of bed and press on, but inside he's not where he was in 2013. He has returned to 1990's Trent, really and truly, but this time without the drugs to numb him.

This is my take. I don't know Trent Reznor. I can only understand the thin slice of what he has revealed of himself in lyrics and music and interviews. Is that enough to give us some perspective on who he is? I don't know but it feels to me like it is.

What he is wrestling with has made for a couple years of great music, but it also makes me really sad. I can relate to some of these feelings too. It makes me sad that he felt like he was almost there. Like things had kind of come together for him finally, only to see the world around him pulled apart, as as a person who cares deeply, to be deeply affected by it. To think that this has caused him to personally lose so much of what he thought he had gained, to question it and reject most of it... it's a tragedy. One that I think many of us can relate to these days.

I would love to see where Hesitation Marks Trent would have gone next. What albums would he have made? Would he have ended NIN and started something else entirely? I don't think we will know for a while, if ever. The world got in the way.

The Trent Reznor of 2016-19 seems to be a fusion of 1990's Trent with 2000's Trent. His "good" and "bad" selves finally becoming whole. Sober, but pessimistic. Personally hopeful, globally hopeless. That's what I get from listening to the Trilogy at this point. I think it's a work of art that truly speaks to the times we are living in. And I think it's a devastating tragedy, not only as a piece of art, but in real life for a real person.

I'm going back
    Of course I am
    As if I ever had a choice
    Back to what I always knew I was
    On the inside
    Back to what I really am
    I hope, even as the world seems to grow darker each day, that Trent and each of one of us can find a way to keep our little candles burning.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Oh, and the more I listen to the trilogy the more connected it all seems thematically and musically. They arenít as disconnected as we have made them out to be. For instance, there is this percussive, gun-blast sound in Not Anymore that I noticed today that reappears in Play the Goddamned Part. Some of the lyrics are repeated as well. The theme of time, for instance, occurs in Branches/Bones, Dear World, The idea of you, Burning Bright, The Lovers, This Isnít The Place, Not Anymore, The Background World Shit Mirror, and Over and Out. Thatís just one theme. Sleep and waking, dreams, obsolete, isolation, it being able to recognize the world, and many other subjects are threads through out the entire Trilogy.

I think as Trent himself suggested, we just really need to sit with these for a lot of repeated listens before things become clear. I feel like there is a lot more there yet to be revealed.

No I am not stoned, lol.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Oh, and the more I listen to the trilogy the more connected it all seems thematically and musically. They aren’t as disconnected as we have made them out to be. For instance, there is this percussive, gun-blast sound in Not Anymore that I noticed today that reappears in Play the Goddamned Part. Some of the lyrics are repeated as well. The theme of time, for instance, occurs in Branches/Bones, Dear World, The idea of you, Burning Bright, The Lovers, This Isn’t The Place, Not Anymore, The Background World Shit Mirror, and Over and Out. That’s just one theme. Sleep and waking, dreams, obsolete, isolation, it being able to recognize the world, and many other subjects are threads through out the entire Trilogy.

I think as Trent himself suggested, we just really need to sit with these for a lot of repeated listens before things become clear. I feel like there is a lot more there yet to be revealed.

No I am not stoned, lol.
    There was an ARG thread that seems to have died. Someone made a huge image with all the lyrics and how they connected. Can't for the life of me find that picture now, or I'd link it here for you.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    There was an ARG thread that seems to have died. Someone made a huge image with all the lyrics and how they connected. Can't for the life of me find that picture now, or I'd link it here for you.
    That would be me, on page 5 of this very thread. (Unless it’s not and someone else did one too)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Just a thought I had this morning, but each EP essentially has one song that low-key gives it all away right up front face value.

NTAE: The Idea Of You (Life is delusion)
    Add Violence: The Background World (Life is simulation)
    Bad Witch: Ahead of Ourselves (Life is an accident)

Who knows, maybe that's been a given this entire time but I just discovered it so, whatever, man.
    I'm a little late to chime in on this post, but that was my take as well. Trent likes to make things obscure and layered, but not so much that you can't figure it out, either.

In fact, based on the back cover art, I've wondered if "The Idea of You" was not only meant to be the theme but the title of the EP, then changed since it was too obvious:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I am curious if anyone else is hearing the Birdbox Soundtrack and making any thematic or soundscape connections with Bad Witch. It feels like there is some overlap here and the two were being created during roughly the same period. Creepy beings not from our world and the world collapsing and many of the sounds and textures feel interconnected to me. Anyone else picking up the same? Iím not going to argue that Over and Out or Shit Mirror fit, I am talking more about the sound of the instrumental tracks and the overall themes that Bad Witch deals with conceptually.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I am curious if anyone else is hearing the Birdbox Soundtrack and making any thematic or soundscape connections with Bad Witch. It feels like there is some overlap here and the two were being created during roughly the same period. Creepy beings not from our world and the world collapsing and many of the sounds and textures feel interconnected to me. Anyone else picking up the same? I’m not going to argue that Over and Out or Shit Mirror fit, I am talking more about the sound of the instrumental tracks and the overall themes that Bad Witch deals with conceptually.
    Well yes, Outside and I'm Not From This World are similar in ways, for example. The organic, almost animal-like sounds, or just animal samples distorted I guess, the rumbling background noises, the tension... to me it feels like nature itself crashing and being grinded by some external force. Somewhat.