Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Trilogy (NTAE, Add violence, Bad Witch) playing order/theories

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Dailymotion has a cap of 60 min and 2 gig for uploads. My video is longer than 60 min and greater than 2 gig. Vimeo requires a subscription fee that I would rather not pay only to find out that the video is blocked there as well. I could go with a cloud service or FTP sharing site. I was hoping to get this online in a way that discussion could take place where it is posted, but I may have no other choice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    NIN released the official artwork and playlist of the Trilogy:

https://open.spotify.com/user/ninoff...R4m8FJBA0zP33A

No alarms and no surprises.
    Yeah... What elese that artwork could be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I posted a new thread with a link to the download and information on what I have discovered.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    NIN released the official artwork and playlist of the Trilogy:

https://open.spotify.com/user/ninoff...R4m8FJBA0zP33A

No alarms and no surprises.
    Disappointing, tbh. I was hoping for some alternate mixes, cut tracks, etc.
    The artwork seems lazy, too. I thought it was fan-made after seeing it in another thread.

But I suppose that this way, TRAR will move onto new music, which is always good.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I don't think it was meant to be anything more than a playlist featuring all three albums though. It's basically just saying "Hey, if you haven't listened to the EPs back-to-back-to-back, here's an easy way to do it." I'm sure if they do something more elaborate with the trilogy, it'll be more than just a Spotify playlist.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I don't think it was meant to be anything more than a playlist featuring all three albums though. It's basically just saying "Hey, if you haven't listened to the EPs back-to-back-to-back, here's an easy way to do it." I'm sure if they do something more elaborate with the trilogy, it'll be more than just a Spotify playlist.
    I hope so. If they just want to move on and make new songs, that's great too. I'm just a sucker for reworked music.

Having said all that and expressed disappointment, I'm just glad we're still getting Nine Inch Nails music in 2018.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Exactly. If a proper version were to materialize, it would certainly not be this "lazy" and would likely have new artwork at the very least.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like them in the original order myself, I think it works just fine.

So while listening to the three releases last night I noticed there is a foreshadowing of The Lovers in Burning Bright, and also an echo of Dear World in Not Anymore. (or the other way around, doesn't really matter I suppose)

Edit: I was asked for examples, so 3:38 in Burning Bright, it appears to be similar to the sound during the verses of The Lovers at around 1:00 for example but it is in the song a good bit.

And in Not Anymore, the sound/rhythm during the breakdown is a lot like the main thrust of Dear World.

I didn't know where to put this exactly as it isn't a theory or anything but I haven't seen any of this mentioned before. Have we all been misdirected and looking at the lyrical themes while missing the musical connections between the songs on the releases?

Or am I hearing things and those little connections I found are just a little bit similar and unintentional?
    Last edited by astfgyl; 11-20-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: for examples

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    You’re not wrong about it. Branches/Bones & She’s Gone Away share a similar bpm, lyrical content and theme (to a small degree) and musically I think it sounds pretty close. (Like Hyperpower! & The Good Soldier) And to me that’s just one point. Rent Treznor loves to seed his music with little tidbits from others. And he’s definitely done it within each particular album, as well as cross pollinate others (ex would be the downward spiral and 10 miles high).
    Last edited by Destruct26; 11-20-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah that is exactly the type of thing I mean. I wonder if there is any specific relation between say The Lovers and Burning Bright or between any of the other musically connected pieces? Not ARG type connections just things that expand upon the themes.

Either way, it has given me another reason to listen to the trilogy over and over again (as if I needed one!)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    Yeah that is exactly the type of thing I mean. I wonder if there is any specific relation between say The Lovers and Burning Bright or between any of the other musically connected pieces? Not ARG type connections just things that expand upon the themes.

Either way, it has given me another reason to listen to the trilogy over and over again (as if I needed one!)
    i see what you did there lol

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Copying my own comment from reddit:

Hey I just noticed the end of She's gone away has the beginning of Reptile, the bit where he is blowing the sax with no reed. It is there, backwards at the end in the background. can't believe i didn't hear that before. did anyone else hear that?.

The mystery of NTAE solved, the backwards Downward Spiral tracks are running in the background that is why they are on the vinyl?

Maybe? But that first thing I said is definitely real. listen for yourselves.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    That blowing the sax without the reed you are referring to is from Eraser, no? and I’m not hearing either that or the beginning of Reptile at the end of She’s Gone Away. Not saying you are wrong, just saying it’s not adding up for me yet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    yeah sorry i meant the beginning of Eraser slip of the mind there. keep listening it is the same sound the blowing thing. Definitely.

Also the very end of Burning bright is something else from before. the very end the squealing guitar part. I just have to figure it out but definitely it is something.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Hey I just noticed the end of She's gone away has the beginning of "Eraser", the bit where he is blowing the sax with no reed. It is there, backwards at the end in the background. can't believe i didn't hear that before. did anyone else hear that?.
    Makes sense to me. Both songs have that sort of "end of it all" vibe to them. In the vocals, there is a similar desperate scream. Makes sense too since I see strong connection between the "she"s of Reptile (backwards on NTAE and right after Eraser on TDS) and She's Gone Away.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hey i figured it out. the end of Burning Bright is the very end of Mr Self Destruct pitched up and/or some other shit done to it. Listen it is it 100%.

VERY INTERESTING.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Hey i figured it out. the end of Burning Bright is the very end of Mr Self Destruct pitched up and/or some other shit done to it. Listen it is it 100%.

VERY INTERESTING.
    hmmm...I honestly felt that the first time listening to BB the end portion immediately reminded me of the end of MSD, but I think it was supposed invoke that reaction while not have sampling the actual ending of MSD. To me, I hear parts of BB remixed and looped at the end (particularly the swirling guitar sounds made after TR screams “ON FIIIRE....”) but I could be wrong. However, the eraser sound could be real and played backwards at the beginning AND end of she’s gone away (I mentioned beginning because the song begins and ends with most of the same samples, including the ones you said are at the end)

if if you could make some samples and prove this it would be awesome, I love shit like this lol

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    hmmm...I honestly felt that the first time listening to BB the end portion immediately reminded me of the end of MSD, but I think it was supposed invoke that reaction while not have sampling the actual ending of MSD. To me, I hear parts of BB remixed and looped at the end (particularly the swirling guitar sounds made after TR screams “ON FIIIRE....”) but I could be wrong. However, the eraser sound could be real and played backwards at the beginning AND end of she’s gone away (I mentioned beginning because the song begins and ends with most of the same samples, including the ones you said are at the end)

if if you could make some samples and prove this it would be awesome, I love shit like this lol
    Found another one I think. The high pitched sound in the verses of Not Anymore could be the sound from Eraser. I will make samples later when I get home from work, but I am sure about most of these. The most obvious one is The BB/MSD one

Edit: Also the little part in the breakdown of BB is very similar to the piece of guitar before the end of Even Deeper.

Another Edit: This all seems to fit in nicely with that tape degradation thing he was talking about for Gone Girl creating that warm nostalgic feeling. And then the mastering of the trilogy actually sounds like it was degraded through a tape a few times, boomy in the low end and very soft in the highs.

I actually think I am on to something here. Something that was staring us in the face all along. Which would also maybe tie in to the Cedocore thing in the TITP video. So what is the connection musically in that one to Year Zero? That piano line is very familiar sounding......

Just musical connections here I'm chasing, no ARG shit so don't be frightened anybody to join in or don't just rubbish all of this without listening to the parts I am mentioning. No tinfoil hat here.

There is more, the guest musicians all from the past no new ones involved, there is something about that, too. I just need to join the musical dots.

And what of Bad Witch I wonder what the connection is there? Something with The Slip from the artwork? So I'll listen closely to that later.
    Last edited by astfgyl; 11-27-2018 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Thinking so hard about an album

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Found another one I think. The high pitched sound in the verses of Not Anymore could be the sound from Eraser. I will make samples later when I get home from work, but I am sure about most of these. The most obvious one is The BB/MSD one

Edit: Also the little part in the breakdown of BB is very similar to the piece of guitar before the end of Even Deeper.

Another Edit: This all seems to fit in nicely with that tape degradation thing he was talking about for Gone Girl creating that warm nostalgic feeling. And then the mastering of the trilogy actually sounds like it was degraded through a tape a few times, boomy in the low end and very soft in the highs.

I actually think I am on to something here. Something that was staring us in the face all along. Which would also maybe tie in to the Cedocore thing in the TITP video. So what is the connection musically in that one to Year Zero? That piano line is very familiar sounding......

Just musical connections here I'm chasing, no ARG shit so don't be frightened anybody to join in or don't just rubbish all of this without listening to the parts I am mentioning. No tinfoil hat here.

There is more, the guest musicians all from the past no new ones involved, there is something about that, too. I just need to join the musical dots.

And what of Bad Witch I wonder what the connection is there? Something with The Slip from the artwork? So I'll listen closely to that later.
    Finally a "theory" I can get behind. A lot of what you've picked out here has been brought up in interviews, specifically the tape degradation. I think TR said in an interview that for Patriots Day they'd let the tape machine run through lunch, then come back and pick their favorite loop. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that was done here as well, albeit more dramatically. I think a lot of similarities you'll here between the trilogy and previous work are just because TR has a very distinct composing style, but I'm sure there are some intentional musical allusions as well.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

VERY INTERESTING.
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post

if they had used parts of Mister Self Destruct in burning bright, i'd assume they'd have to re-credit adrian belew, as he played those crazy guitar lines. i assumed it was dave navarro doing something similar for BB (because i can't imagine what else he did in the song, and he's credited as a contributor).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    if they had used parts of Mister Self Destruct in burning bright, i'd assume they'd have to re-credit adrian belew, as he played those crazy guitar lines. i assumed it was dave navarro doing something similar for BB (because i can't imagine what else he did in the song, and he's credited as a contributor).
    That is also a possibility that it was recreated rather than reused but it is the same thing as a sort of callback/easter egg idea. Just listen again.

I am just amazed at myself that I hadn't been looking more at the music as I was too distracted by the artwork most of the time.. so I'm just really focusing on the music itself now for a while. It's great fun

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Sad time when you need to put such a disclaimer lol, never let a potential minority of assholes bring down your findings and interpretations, it is and always will be about the music, and so including all the connections between all of the sounds and details we hear.

Can't wait to hear samples comparing these back to back. I definitively hear the similarities.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I doubt there are any direct samples from The Downward Spiral, but there are certainly callbacks (both lyrical and musical) on the album.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Wanna hear something cool? I’ve been keeping this playlist to myself for sometime. It probably doesn’t mean shit but I was thinking about how NTAE vinyl has the last side of TDS (reversed) and that would mean that B/B should come in around where a warm place should be.
    Simply enough, I played TDS from MSD to BMWAG, and then put the entire trilogy in order right after it. Then, the last 5 songs on TDS come after that. The transition from BMWAG into B/B is really nice but the real surprise was Over and Out into A Warm Place- as if it were meant to be. Check it out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I doubt there are any direct samples from The Downward Spiral, but there are certainly callbacks (both lyrical and musical) on the album.
    Yeah the more I listen I just can't be fully sure. One minute I'm like oh yeah that is such and such, and then I dunno again. It seems too much to be just coincidence that he was remastering his back catalogue at the same time as writing NTAE though. Maybe.

So far I hear in NTAE lots of apparent callbacks, AV has some but less so, and BW seemingly doesn't have any. There has to be some reason why to that. Well there doesn't have to be, but I'd lke to think there is.

Also, BW is one fucking bleak as fuck album.

Are there shades of Satellite and Disappointed in Over and Out?
    Last edited by astfgyl; 11-29-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just realized something cool. The Background World is leaving the simulation/this world, then it goes straight into Shit Mirror, which starts with rocks banging like cavemen would do.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I was 100% skeptical about the Mr Self Destruct and Burning Bright connection but I just listened to the end of both and it’s indisputable. It’s not just similar, it’s defintely the same. Great find. This is another nod to the Downward Spiral. Thematically it makes perfect sense. He’s talking about burning down who he is. Like TDS circling back again. The lyrics to Reptile imbedded in Shes Gone Away, the three tracks on the back of the vinyl. Totally. Nice work.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    Shit Mirror... starts with rocks banging like cavemen would do.
    Does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I was 100% skeptical about the Mr Self Destruct and Burning Bright connection but I just listened to the end of both and it’s indisputable. It’s not just similar, it’s defintely the same. Great find. This is another nod to the Downward Spiral. Thematically it makes perfect sense. He’s talking about burning down who he is. Like TDS circling back again. The lyrics to Reptile imbedded in Shes Gone Away, the three tracks on the back of the vinyl. Totally. Nice work.
    It's not the same, though. Similar. Perhaps it's remixed, chopped up, glitched, run through multiple effects filters. But it's definitely not exactly the same.
    Last edited by katara; 12-01-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Is there any chance that every track on NTAE has some kind of connection to TDS? We should all listen to both like 30 times over the next week and find out. Lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Does it?
    That's what it sounds like. And I think I remember Atticus saying that also. It would make sense with the Ahead of Ourselves lyrics too