Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Trilogy (NTAE, Add violence, Bad Witch) playing order/theories

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Here's my playlist. It's mostly in order, but I put a few bonus tracks in that I'm currently deciding on the order to put them in. I named it Shadows on the Cave Wall, after the description for Bad Witch on nin.com

Branches/Bones
    Dear World
    She’s Gone Away
    The Idea of You
    Burning Bright
    Juno
    Less Than
    The Lovers
    This Isn’t the Place
    Not Anymore
    The Background World (4:04 Edit)
    Halloween
    Shit Mirror
    Ahead of Ourselves
    Play the Goddamned Part
    God Break Down the Door
    I’m Not From This World
    Over and Out
    A Minute To Breathe (With A Minute Later Outro)
    The Background World (Reprise)
    Last edited by raptors661; 06-30-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I didn't read every page - but interesting that I'm not seeing "I Can't Give Everything Away" in the mix. It's been such a present aspect of the first two EP's release shows. I put it after - "Burning Bright." Seems to fit - especially with all of the Bowie-esque vocals and melodies on Bad Witch.

01 Branches/Bones
    02 Less Than
    03 God Break Down The Door
    04 Dear World,
    05 The Lovers
    06 She's Gone Away
    07 Not Anymore
    08 Ahead Of Ourselves
    09 Burning Bright (Field Of Fire)
    10 I Can't Give Everything Away (Farewell Mix)
    11 Shit Mirror
    12 Play The Goddamned Part
    13 This Isn't The Place
    14 The Idea of You
    15 A Minute To Breathe
    16 The Background World [7:01 - w/fade out]
    17 Over And Out
    18 I'm Not From This World
    Last edited by LOVEANDZOMBIES; 07-03-2018 at 01:02 PM. Reason: 1-8 dragged a bit and felt repetitive

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    I didn't read every page - but interesting that I'm not seeing "I Can't Give Everything Away" in the mix. It's been such a present aspect of the first two EP's release shows. I put it after - "Burning Bright." Seems to fit - especially with all of the Bowie-esque vocals and melodies on Bad Witch.

Was it ever released anywhere? I wasn't aware of it outside live shows.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    Was it ever released anywhere? I wasn't aware of it outside live shows.
    It was originally posted on an unlisted Soundcloud account that they created. It was available to download for a bit, but it seems to have disappeared since then.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It was originally posted on an unlisted Soundcloud account that they created. It was available to download for a bit, but it seems to have disappeared since then.
    Gee, it would be nice if 'another unlisted Soundcloud account' had a soundboard NIN rehearsal recording of "Digital" by Joy Division.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I got it! My own personal playlist I enjoy! Its the kind of flow I enjoy all the way through even If doesn't tell a coherent story. No instrumental, but that is my problem.

Cold & Black & Infinite
    Shit Mirror
    Ahead of Ourselves
    Burning Bright
    Branches / Bones
    Dear World
    The Idea of You
    She's Gone Away
    This Isn't The Place
    Not Anymore
    God Break Down The Door
    The Lovers
    Less Than
    The Background World (part 1)
    Over and Out
    Last edited by PhoenixML; 07-04-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Feels like I’ve been here before

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    @Destruct26 awesome! Here are a couple more things for you.

The Lovers
    :
    "Hot swollen skin want me take me perfect embrace
    Black and bloody"

She's Gone Away:
    "We keep licking while the skin turns black"

Also Branches/Bones' chorus "I don't know anymore..." can be linked to Not Anymore. Tentatively, there's also a line in Ahead Of Ourselves that may relate "That is if he existed (not so sure anymore)".

Edit: Also also, Shit Mirror "I left her on the bathroom floor" and Not Anymore "My feet are nailed to the floor".
    Last edited by katara; 07-05-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    In the latest Kerrang! magazine (UK) interview -

Trent says the trilogy should be listened to sequentially. Claiming an incredible amount of thought went into it. He also suggests there is a "riddle" there along with a "purpose" and an "intent".

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    Where's the high res version ? Who did that ?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Where's the high res version ? Who did that ?
    I whipped it up as quick as I could and uploaded it to tumblr where it blurred the resolution. This was the best I could do with no time.
    I might redo it with a bigger font but for now that’s that.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I whipped it up as quick as I could and uploaded it to tumblr where it blurred the resolution. This was the best I could do with no time.
    I might redo it with a bigger font but for now that’s that.
    Well, that's nice. But your original file isn't blurry right ? Imgur doesn't compress that much, for futur use..

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afors View Post
    In the latest Kerrang! magazine (UK) interview -

Trent says the trilogy should be listened to sequentially. Claiming an incredible amount of thought went into it. He also suggests there is a "riddle" there along with a "purpose" and an "intent".
    Ooh, can we get quotes?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Here.

"I'd like people to listen to it the way it was intended to be listened to," says Atticus. "We didn't put them in a randomiser: a lot of thought went into their order, and there's meaning throughout the three; within each release and then over the arc of all three. There's a reason that Branches/Bones starts Not The Actual Events and there's a reason that Over And Out ends Bad Witch, and they're connected. I don't know if anyone will listen to it like that, but that is obviously the hope."

"You'll find if you do take the time to listen to it sequentially, there is an incredible amount of thought that's gone into that for the discerning listener," adds Trent. "There is a riddle there; there is a purpose; there's an intent; there is careful thought of the order of the songs. They were written in that way, they were mixed that way. We're not demanding that you do that, but this is the type of art that interests us and that we choose to make."

"It's not said with any pomposity," adds Atticus, by way of clarification.

"Well, a little bit of pomposity," laughs Trent.

paragraph-long explicit "fuck modern music consumption trends, you do what you want and I do what I want" rant*

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^
    Exactly. I really do not understand people change the order. Why are you doing this? Do you do the same with other NIN releases as well?
    The artist chose the order of the songs.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laci View Post
    ^
    Exactly. I really do not understand people change the order. Why are you doing this? Do you do the same with other NIN releases as well?
    The artist chose the order of the songs.
    Try using your imagination.

Of course it's meant to be heard like this, but you can understand that after a thousand listen, some people like to mix it up, to see what happens. Meanwhile, they still listen to it in order.

Art can be manipulated. Or not. Your move.
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 07-06-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I've made edits and variations on pretty much all the albums at some point. Trent & Atticus are right, but that doesn't mean it's not fun to play with the order of things and see what happens.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    In search of your high res version!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    @Destruct26 awesome! Here are a couple more things for you.

The Lovers
    :
    "Hot swollen skin want me take me perfect embrace
    Black and bloody"

She's Gone Away:
    "We keep licking while the skin turns black"

Also Branches/Bones' chorus "I don't know anymore..." can be linked to Not Anymore. Tentatively, there's also a line in Ahead Of Ourselves that may relate "That is if he existed (not so sure anymore)".

Edit: Also also, Shit Mirror "I left her on the bathroom floor" and Not Anymore "My feet are nailed to the floor".
    wait but how can you SEE that shit? i wanna see it!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Updated it where I felt was necessary, hope this is a little clearer
    Last edited by Destruct26; 07-07-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    hope this is a little clearer
    Sure...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I like the chart, and I'm glad the Kerrang interview finally stopped this bizarre idea of entirely reordering the trilogy. It never made any sense to me on any level.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    I like the chart, and I'm glad the Kerrang interview finally stopped this bizarre idea of entirely reordering the trilogy. It never made any sense to me on any level.
    The idea behind it is just to see what happens when you take the songs and put them into a certain order. When I did it, I found that there was a nice flow to the order that made for a fun listening experience. Honestly, I think some people are taking it too seriously, as if we're saying that Trent & Atticus got it wrong by releasing the songs in the order that they did.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I never thought it was gonna be like Tool’s Lateralus Fibonnaci playlist reorder thing, but I would be lying if i said I didn’t have fun making a different order out of it. But I do enjoy listening to them in proper order.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Well, that's nice. But your original file isn't blurry right ? Imgur doesn't compress that much, for futur use..
    Thanks for the info- it’s a hell of a lot better looking than it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I reorder and add non album tracks to my album playlists for different bands I love A LOT. All the time, If I love an album and have heard it 20+ times maybe I don't like this or that track as much as a b-side or another song from another album by the same band. I've never thought "the original track listing is shit". We just like tinkering with the play order.

I am messing around with a massive playlist of NIN & HTDA songs that sound like they exist in the Year Zero world at the moment, Were they intended to be mixed together? No, but they have a lot in common in sound or themes and it keeps things interesting.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    From the interview on NIN.com:

IT WASN’T FULLY MAPPED OUT BUT IT WAS MEANT TO FEEL LIKE IF WE BROKE UP ONE BIG RECORD – IF IT WAS DOWNWARD SPIRAL, WHICH HAS ACTS, IF WE DO AN ALBUM LIKE THAT, BUT RELEASE ONE ACT AT A TIME, IT WILL BE MORE IMMEDIATE AND THE LEVEL OF ADRENALINE AND MOMENTUM WILL BE HIGHER.

I think I am beginning to “get” the trilogy. This is his Downward Spiral at the age of 53. Not that he’s trying to recreate that or go backwards, but that’s he’s doing the same thing he did back then. He’s telling a semi-autobiographical story that allows him to go down the path of a dark fantasy. It’s not who he actually is, but it’s also not NOT who he actually is.

He’s indulging his darkest ideas. He’s allowing himself to feel it all. He comes to a similarly pessimistic conclusion, though this time it isn’t to end it all, it’s to stare off into the future with no sense of purpose or reason and do nothing at all. He doesn’t try and do something great and he doesn’t kill himself. He doesn’t have an answer at all.

It’s arguably just as bleak, but very different coming from a 53 year old man instead of the 28 year old man who wrote TDS.

This is just as creative and epic and troubling and awesome and bleak as it’s predecessor. Just as great, on its own terms.

This is how I currently understand it. Many have said that TDS was his greatest work but I think with time, many will believe that this trilogy is just as important and revelatory and profound.

Art, true art that isn’t a cheap commodity, that is authentic and brilliant, feels so rare these days. I feel fortunate that Trent Reznor has decided to keep digging so deep to create work that is this epic.

I feel a lot of meaning and joy in mining the depths of his recent work.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Trilogy (NTAE, Add violence, Bad Witch) playing order/theories

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    From the interview on NIN.com:

I think I am beginning to “get” the trilogy. This is his Downward Spiral at the age of 53. Not that he’s trying to recreate that or go backwards, but that’s he’s doing the same thing he did back then. He’s telling a semi-autobiographical story that allows him to go down the path of a dark fantasy. It’s not who he actually is, but it’s also not NOT who he actually is.

This is how I currently understand it. Many have said that TDS was his greatest work but I think with time, many will believe that this trilogy is just as important and revelatory and profound.

Art, true art that isn’t a cheap commodity, that is authentic and brilliant, feels so rare these days. I feel fortunate that Trent Reznor has decided to keep digging so deep to create work that is this epic.

I feel a lot of meaning and joy in mining the depths of his recent work.
    Just wanted to add that while HM was intended to be a look back at his younger self and the TDS era and reflect on where he is now, the trilogy to me seems to be more of its actual successor in terms of sound and spirit: it's unusual (especially Bad Witch), it's aggressive, normal sounds are twisted quite a bit to the point where they're half unrecognizable, and there's a sense of a narrative. HM really grew on me as an album and I like it as a whole, but conceptually it feels like a first draft on an idea that he explored with a two-tiered idea about where both he and society is now much more intriguingly sonically and lyrically on the trilogy.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Totally agree.